Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Apologies for jumping to the end and not scanning the whole thread, but does anyone in here use Starlink Roam? I'm looking into the flat mobile use antenna and curious mostly about powering it, but also any anecdotal info people have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Catatron Prime posted:

This is really great to know, thanks! I've been trying to figure out how to spend more time on the road instead of staring at the same four walls at home.

Also good to know how much solar is enough! Over the holidays I picked up a second panel (100w flexible Renology to pair with a 140w lightleaf, plus a second 100 Ah LiFePO4 battery to wire up in parallel). I think I may need to recalibrate the battery monitor, something is catterwampus because fully charged it shows that I should have power for days, only to unexpectedly die overnight at 70% indicated charge. I have the Victron solar controller & battery monitor configured to kick off at 10% battery SOC, but I suspect maybe the monitor is cutting off charging before the battery is actually at 100%. Anyone run into similar issues?

Also... does anyone have any advice for winter heating? I've got a small 250w electric heatbud that does well into the mid 30s, but I'd love to install something like a Propex propane heater or even something like this standalone diesel heater ducted into a window from outside. How do y'all keep a heated interior when it gets cold out?

I don't have one myself, but a few friends all run diesel heaters and swear by them. I've hung out in my friend's van while his diesel heater was running and it worked great.