Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Hi RV thread. I have recently been infected by some sort of brainworms about turning my truck into Camping, but Better, for myself, partner, and dog. We're both tall people (6'6" and 6'3") but our truck is an 8' bed tundra. We live in the pnw and like to play outside - I like kayaking and birding, and she likes hiking. We've had some pleasant car camping adventures, but it feels like we should be able to be substantially more comfortable without that much trouble, given that a queen mattress fits comfortably in our truck bed.

This has led me down the deep rabbit hole of truck camping options, ranging from pitching a tent in the bed or DIYing a platform under a soft topper to pop-top caps like four wheel campers project M or ovrlnd's shell. Finances aren't a major constraint (at least, along this spectrum), but I also don't know anything about rving/overlanding beyond what I know from general outdoor play and car camping. What I do know is: I have a big truck, it is good at going places, it's got a stickered payload rating of 1,555 pounds, it'd be cool to also sleep in/on it, I don't like towing stuff, we have 2 kayaks (that could be cool to bring?), we have a dog, I have mixed feelings about pooping in holes (but haven't tried it??)

I've been watching some overlander youtubers (like bound for nowhere) to get a better sense of the details and realities, but I'm also keen on reading recommendations (books or blogs or effortposts or whatever) in this part of the spectrum. I don't have a good sense of the breadth of activities that this can unlock or what ~vanlyfers~ actually spend all their time doing but I am intrigued! I'm also interested in better understanding the spectrum of options, tradeoffs, and key enablers within the constraints of "happens in my truck bed" and "tundras have kinda low payload limits." Like, if I build a bed platform, huck a queen mattress on it, and take all of our camping gear, what am I gonna be really bummed about not having a week or two into a trip? If I want to spend a month+ on the road without getting fired from my fully-remote job, are there any unexpected constraints or major nice-to-haves to make that work? What are the unknown-to-an-idiot unknowns??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hello RVers. do any of you use powered coolers? I'm looking at refrigeration options for our tundra build-out and I'm trying to figure out what to do for refrigeration both in terms of style and in terms of capacity. Is 42 quarts enough for 2 people? 25? 100? Fridge-freezer combos? Fridge-only? There are so many options!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Wow, omitting the noble Shovel from the list

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah, plus the regulations that vary from one public land to the next, it's not as trivial as it sounds (but still a great option w/ a backup bucket!)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Are teeny tiny electric heaters a thing? I’d like one in my truck rig but anything above like 200 watts is probably going to be oversized for my electrical setup

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It’s still an excellent truck for the jobsite and around town, which seems to pretty clearly be their target right now. Which makes sense! 70% of pickups on the road have literally never towed anything at all.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I suspect the battery electric vehicle has a spot to plug in a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have the dish that uhhh isn’t for in movement use. Idk what it’s called. But it was absolutely excellent to have. We did our entire month+ in Alaska working full time (except the week we spent backpacking) and never came close to power issues with 350 watts of solar. It took a bit of learning to understand what campsites it’d work best in but once we figured that out it was aces.

gently caress Elon musk tho