Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
You have any recommendations for a pull behind that has to sleep 2 independently? We do trail construction and maintenance but until now we've had western states in the summer where I used my wall tent and stove rather than an RV. I'd likely put in a mini split so I could reasonably run AC over 15A/1000W. I don't know poo poo about any of these brands, but we'd be living out of it longterm and itd need a shitter and shower. I drive a 5.9 and 6.7 cummins and already tow a 14k trailer with an excavator or trail dozer so weight isnt an issue. Size will be in some cases though, we drive on a lot of dirt roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm just aiming at the 1100W 15A honda to try to run the AC unit and then at some point at least look at the feasibility of solar or hybrid. Our work running that will be predominately east coast. A lot of areas we'd just run the fan but I've started to have trouble sleeping when it's still 80F and 100% humidity for our summer jobs.

You think something deluxe is worth the cost? I'm personally only interested in reliability and usability, not looks. Are the expansion tow behinds more prone to leaking if they're exposed for weeks or months at a time? It's going to almost always be just 2 of us.

My only experience with the mini splits is just a couple videos I saw in youtube. I did hvac for a few years but that was before the consumer facing stuff came out. From what I could tell they were running off a 15A breaker and extension with zero problems.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you wanting to take it off road very far, or just park it off a dirt road? Most trailers won't go much further off road then you'd take a stock Honda Civic. I take it you want 2 separate beds. What kind of budget are you looking at? A pop-up with a full bath would do you just fine. As for wear and tear while sitting, it's no big deal, just cover it with a tarp if you're worried.

Would something like this MicroMinnie work for you? It's got bunks, it's 21 feet long, and it has a full bathroom. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Winnebago-MICRO-MINNIE-2100BH-5008835665

I'm going to be driving and parking it where the work is. I do bridges, heavy trail construction items, trail construction, but also lighter maintenance. Sometimes I'm sure I'll be using commercial campgrounds, but mostly it'll be on forest roads, sometimes behind a locked gate. Something around that Microminnie size is on the smaller size of side of what I was looking at but yeah that'll totally work. I've just seen a million different brands and don't know anything about any of them. I wasn't sure if there was anything to differentiate them at all.

As for the generator, I have an EU2200 and an EU2000 that I daisy chain together when I have to run a welder. I was just hoping to run everything off one and not run both or have to buy one of the 3k watt ones that are quite a bit louder

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm gonna be there in a couple months buddy

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

kensei posted:

This is our first fifth wheel, we previously owned bumper pulls. This tows so much nicer, I wish we would have changed years ago. The auto leveling and power jacks are so great to have.

I drive a dually and I was just going to get a bumper pull, you really think it's worth taking up the bed? Tundra's a lot lighter than my 1-ton but I'm not really set on anything. I tow something 5k-10k routinely with no real issues