Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That Mean Bean looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Looks great.

Are you gonna escape the west soon for the summer?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I haven’t camped since I was very young but just driving through public campgrounds in the middle of the day makes them seem like miserable places to stay. 100% full even February to November in Arizona it seems.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I would have thought with rent skyrocketing right now van life would be increasing. But then again it’s been a really warm summer and it’s not summer yet so maybe that is making people tap out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am a legit moron and enter Omaze contests for pretty much every car and then I will spend hours planning out my favorite road trips but if I had an electric car because I love the idea of electric cars . Let me tell you that 350 miles of range still is not enough to make some of them possible. 100 miles feels really bad. That’s like a charge every hour and a half.

I dunno maybe I am missing something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have not purchased a tire plug kit. That is now priority before going out again. I have since dropped off the tire at Discount to get repaired though I had low expectations as the puncture was right on the corner of the tire really close to the sidewall. I have to buy a new tire - bummer is Mickey Thompson discontinued this tire. Bonus is that it was an excuse to change for the BFG KO2 like I have on the Lexus. I will keep that as the spare and maybe next year or two or next puncture I will change the other two out for the BFGs also. These are only ~1.5 years old, garaged, and maybe a 1000 miles on them. Only $200 for the tire mounted. Easy.

Good post!

I have never had any luck at all patching a tire out in the wildnerness, but maybe I'm just getting the wrong kits.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Get a basic plug kit (plug tool, reamer, glue and plugs), a $30~ air compressor, and a pair of wire dikes. Generally you need some to get a bite on whatever nail/screw/dildo punched through your tire, wire cutters are awesome for grabbing chunks of nail and leveraging out the sharp object. Don't buy the tiny ones, get a pair that's 6-8 inches long so you have leverage while prying.

Legally (in the US) you can have up to 3 plugs in the same tire, so as long as it holds air once plugged, Just drive on it. If it's a steer tire, swap it to the back axle. If your puncture is in the outside treads, the shoulders, it needs to be replaced, but plugging can limp you into a shop, save you a tow.

I've plugged so many goddamn tires this way, never needed a patch plug outside of working on tractor trailer tires. Usually the first few attempts take a fair bit of time, half hour to an hour. Also don't bullshit with the reamer, work that fucker until it practically falls out of the hole. The shittier/shorter your reaming job, the more difficult it will be to get the plug in while covered in rubber cement. Then use the wire dikes to cut off the excess, or it could snag on the road and yank out if you're bad about letting the glue cure.

I should print this post out and stick it in with whatever tire kit I buy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

I love that trailer

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Fascinating series of posts. So if you want nice and can afford it are you getting bigger bang for your buck in just a regular RV as opposed to a 5th wheeler?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's a beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Beautiful.

I hope I get enough land someday to adopt a horse.