Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

armorer posted:

Apologies for jumping to the end and not scanning the whole thread, but does anyone in here use Starlink Roam? I'm looking into the flat mobile use antenna and curious mostly about powering it, but also any anecdotal info people have.

I have the 2nd gen Dishy on my van. I got rid of the Starlink router and hardwired a 12v adapter and a low-draw travel router into my solar. It used to run off my inverter with the Starlink router which was a total waste of power so I bypassed the need. When it’s running, my solar will fully power it with no battery draw (I’ve got 400w on the roof).

I don’t use it all the time nor is it permanently mounted. I put the dishy on my ladder or on the ground depending on where I’m camped.

I hate giving Elon money but it works amazing for remote work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I have a cheap 5W Chinese diesel heater I installed in my Transit van and it will keep things super toasty even when camped out in the snow at the skill hill. I have a 2.5gal fuel cell that holds the diesel and it lasts forever. I just ran out last trip (and the last time I had filled it was 2 years ago?)

I usually run it while hanging out in the van and then turn it off when I go to sleep. I’ll turn it on first thing in the morning and stay in bed til it warms up.

I’m going to get an Afterburner controller for it but I need to swap out the control board since mine’s not compatible.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 16, 2024