Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We just got an rpod and this is my first camper trailer of any sort.

I like the frog decals the most.

E: took it out this weekend for its first trip. Heck yeah.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's a question for state parks:

I went to a WA state park and their black tank flushing water wasn't a typical threaded hose. Instead it was a graduated nozzle with a squeeze trigger. It almost looked like an air hose.

What kind of interconnect will I need to interface with this kind of hookup in the future?

Sorry I don't have a picture.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The rpod I got came with an Aussie camper grill but it's just one flame element and is literally a small grill.

I'm interested in just having a single raging burner so I can get my cast iron hot and boil water quickly. Is there a go-to model I should be looking at?

I see you can get legit big ones with metal stands but I am thinking I want more portability and ease of storage. I was looking at a dual fuel GasOne burner that runs on either propane or butane but I'm open to other suggestions.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just remembered I have a camp chef Everest two burner stove in my gear closet.

I already have the hose to go from the rpod to the grill but it's fitted with quick disconnects.

MENSI 1/4" Quick Connect Disconnect Plug with 1lb Bottle Tank Thread Propane Adapter for Portable Camper Grill Hook Up RV Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHFQLP9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JCXSV5Y1R8CERNN6W4E6

I ordered this for my grill and I think it's the right adapter to mate it with my quick disconnect hose. This plug looks identical to the connection on the grill the rpod came with (on the QD end) so I just hope it is the right piece to connect up to the Camp Chef stove.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Took the rpod to Belfair State Park this weekend. Saturday was cool and gorgeous but then it started dumping rain and it hasn't stopped for twelve hours.

Two things:

1) glad I'm not in a tent and having to pack up wet gear.

2) the back door for the outdoor kitchen on this trailer works as a perfect awning to make and drink some coffee even when it's pouring rain.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I found a leak in my outdoor sink faucet plumbing and on the one hand it's really loving annoying but on the other it's a fairly simple remove and replace operation that is better than something like an exterior seal failing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Turnaround time on camper fixes is wild compared to the poo poo I ignore for months in my actual house.

Sink has been recaulked and the faucet entirely replaced. Easy as heck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Try outdoorsy. We went to Deception Pass last week and there was a family driving a giant Coachmen they rented on a whim and they seemed to be into it. Seems an easy way to dip a toe in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I made physical checklists for hitching/unhitching and another one for general shutdown of the camper before leaving and it's done wonders for my peace of mind while driving.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I finally figured out that there IS a hose for my Camp Chef stove that will let me bypass the regulator on the stove and go straight from the QD on the back of my trailer.

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...hannel=shopping

Man I hope it works out because it would be super convenient to not have to lug around extra propane.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

On a lark I pulled the AC filters out of my Dometic unit today and good god that is a gross color...

Ordered a new water filter, flow meter for the fresh tank, ac filters, a kit of fuses, a new faucet/hose for the rear sink.... and an AM radio antenna for baseball.

Being 38 owns.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've had a microwave in my trailer since I've owned it and never once have I ever wanted or needed to microwave anything.

So today I took it out and created a giant storage cavity. Now there's so much room for activities.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The fucker weighs 47 lbs.

Granted it's a convection oven too but I just don't see myself using it for camp cooking ever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I looked at a couple used Jaycos in Washington that were in rough shape for sure.

We got lucky and got our Rpod from a guy who'd had it for two months before realizing his pregnant wife hated it.

It's still a little bit older but once I fixed a few easy things it's perfect.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just installed a new faucet in my outdoor sink that has a threaded spigot so I can attach a hose and sprayer to clean kayaks and kids.

drat, with the hot water I could even rig it up as a shower head.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Why the heck is every camper and RV covered in weird Newport swooshes and boomerangs and poo poo?

Like the design on my rpod has a section of the decal that gets bisected by a window and then they took the time to continue the decal for all of 4" after the window stops being in the way. Like it matters if the swoosh continues that far or not.

It'd be cool to remove them but I'm worried it will end up looking really bad with ghosting unless I paint it or something.

That said, I love my canoeing frog decal.

I'm gonna take this thing down to Oregon and have my tattoo artist buddy do him up with sharpies.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

CaptainTofu posted:

In the UK if you're converting a van or whatever into a camper/RV and want the registration changed to reflect that one of the criteria is that it must have that style of graphics. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm trying to find info on this and I can't find this claim specifically but I did find this

https://mowgli-adventures.com/dvla-campervan-conversion/

Seems like a lot of work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In other news; Bean announced a new level/model. The "Black Bean" and it has my loins tingly and jealous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hs0-42Fxg

It is too tall for my garage which is why I didn't get the Meaner Bean but man this thing is awesome. Also fun is getting into it with some weenie in the comments. Best part is that he called me a "snowflake" but edited his comment and removed it after he recognized his weak burn.

This thing is super cool even though I'll never be in a place in my life where I'd use one. 20" of clearance is so badass.

Also: the fact that he did this in a single take gave me a weird sense of anxiety.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Finally got around to installing a new stereo in my camper because the one it came with was like 6W per channel and sounded like absolute poo poo.

The new one doesn't have any features the old one didn't have but it does have 50W per channel so it can actually drive the speakers.

The other difference is that the unit I removed weighed like 2lbs and the one I installed was like 5-6lbs. Camper manufacturers shave pounds wherever they can.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

therobit posted:

*turns RV into a Db racer*

Like I get it, you want it to be light as heck. That's why you use the thinnest plywood for the bunks and the lightest paneling for the kitchen cabinets and the cheapest plastic strike plates you can find for the switches.

But the trade-off in quality of using this piece of garbage Jensen JWM6A stereo vs something like a Pyle PLRVST400 is astounding.

You can even go steps further and get a legit car stereo but I didn't want to have to cut a custom mount for it. This one just dropped right in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there a separate thread for solar panels?

I have a 12v SAE plug on my camper but I need to get a charge controller for it. If I have a 100W panel which one should I get?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lol does anyone know anybody with one of these:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42150/if-you-need-a-wheeled-trailer-hitch-you-might-be-towing-too-much

It looks sketchy as gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So I'm doing my first winterization and I'm curious what folks do with their batteries.

Should I yank them and put them on a trickle charger if I'm not going to use it for six months?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

They're deep cycle marine batteries so I'm pretty sure they're lead acid.

I installed a disconnect switch on the batteries yesterday because I'm too lazy to figure out what is drawing down my batteries slowly (probably the CO monitors? Inverter?)

Before I was unbolting the negative lead off of the batteries manually but now I have a nice chunky switch to throw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just got my RPod back from the shop after having all of the original seam seals scraped and reapplied. It looks so drat clean.

Next season is gonna be so dope. Our first full season with the camper so we will be out there from April until November.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just got my RPod back from the shop after having all of the original seam seals scraped and reapplied. It looks so drat clean.

Next season is gonna be so dope. Our first full season with the camper so we will be out there from April until November.

Took it out of storage last week and found a wet mattress and mold under it because the shop hosed up one of the seals :(

Fortunately they're remediating it for free and even came and picked it up from my house.

Next project is installing an overhead shelf over the dinette so we can keep our bags up there and run the heater below the dinette benches worry free.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I removed the microwave from my camper because we never use it and I want to make the cavity more useful so I'm looking to install a shelf inside of it.

If I want to get composite/particle board to match the existing veneer of the cabinetry that is already installed, where should I be looking or what google search terms should I use?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

We basically only ever use state parks with groomed spots to park in and our first year was just trial and error of finding good parks or finding the good spots in the parks we went to.

I think when my kids are older we might do remote boondocking but we aren't there yet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Officially gave up on trying to buy a half ton or even smaller truck anytime soon, and decided to cancel my Escape 5.0 preorder for next spring. The math didn't make sense trying to buy a new truck and spend about the same on a camper while still allowing wiggle room in my budget to well, actually do things. Long term I want to full time rv, but near term there's too much poo poo to do with the house and pets it realistically doesn't make sense for me.

I did however wind up buying a used Subaru Outback, since it has 4x4 and a roof rack to chuck my kayak up on. The towing capacity is pretty limited at 2700 pounds, but I'm pretty interested in teardrop trailers so I think it should work all right. I especially love the bean travel trailer, but since Utah is about a day's drive away for me, I'd love to actually take a good chunk of time off work and tool around the area when I pick it up, which probably means waiting for another year to max out my vacation days.

I'd love to get a travel trailer for this year though, and I've been poking around at different options. Nucamp CS-S or Tab/Tag seems like it might be a good option for me, but they're still kinda pricey when a bean isn't significantly more and seems significantly better. I'm sort of interested in DIY trailer kits, though I realize it's probably a bigger project than I really need to take on right now. How bad of an idea is it to look at DIY teardrop kits?

Alternatively, I just stumbled on this listing and it seems like it might be more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Is something like that a good compromise?

I just want to get outside more often, and bringing the wife along also tends to bring lot of creature comforts (that I enjoy as well), which is just a headache to pack and repack for a 2-3 night trip. I feel like a teardrop might be easier to keep packed with everything we need so we only have to mess with food and a popup canopy to hang out at camp, and I love the idea of being able to do some dispersed camping with the trailer.

Wait wait why is marky mark selling campers

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Welp I had my first slip-out with my hitch stand because I didn't check to see how steep the pad was AND I forgot to chock the wheels.

Small ding in my bumper and lesson learned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That thing looks dope as gently caress dude.

Fwiw, my buddy salvaged a fiberglass Burro to use as a guest bedroom in his driveway and it worked out perfectly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's basically what we use ours for: "really comfortable tent camping".

It makes going out to the sites around our house way way easier to handle with our kids and I think it's the consistency and predictability that makes it so good for us.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Holy poo poo that thing is insane.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

How does that pack down? I would love a tote-able flat top grill like that.

Does it heat evenly across?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm at a site that my SIL booked and there is absolutely no way I can maneuver my camper into this stall. There just isn't enough room. It's insane that the state sells this site as hospitable to a 20' trailer.

E: I ended up getting the OK from the ranger to go the wrong way through the loop so I could back in and I got it handled.

Apparently this entire camp site flooded a few years ago and the approach for all of these sites is way smaller than it used to be as a result of the new culverts and stream diversion they put in.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 19, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The junction between my brake controller and one of my brake drums got severed (no foul play suspected!).

What is this part called? It's clearly a crimped junction of some kind but I dunno what I'm looking for.

My temp solution is just to use a twist-on wire nut but that isn't a permanent fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

How do I use a splice like that when I've got three wires that need to terminate together instead of just two?