Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

rdb posted:

I’m no worldwide voltage expert, but is Japan the same 120v 60hz we are? That would definitely require some work if not.

Eastern japan is 50 Hz and western is 60 Hz since back in the 1890's Tokyo bought generators from germany and Osaka bought generators from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Do you have trailer brakes? If no, stay slow, stay behind the semis. Your truck brakes will overheat otherwise.

Tow haul. Note whatever gear you climbed it. That's the gear you descend it. Flip it into manual mode and make it hold the gear.

Maybe a gear lower than you went up when going from LA to Grapevine? since the descent in that direction is a lot steeper than the ascent

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Tablecloth and clamps for the picnic table
Seating pads for the picnic table

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Some friends came along with us in their tiny fiberglass camper and I took a couple pictures of it.

Looks like a Happier Camper! My aunt and uncle have one and it's v adorable.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Try outdoorsy. We went to Deception Pass last week and there was a family driving a giant Coachmen they rented on a whim and they seemed to be into it. Seems an easy way to dip a toe in.

I'm in a bit of a similar situation: We went car camping for the first time and really got bitten by it, but we're also intrigued by travel trailers so we can have the possibility to have a bathroom that isn't a vault toilet and place to hang out if the weather is lovely. We don't really need anything big since it's just the 2 of us but we'd like to try out some stuff to see what feels good. We're not sold on an RV or a camper because we like the ability to take the car to other places while based at a campsite.

While our car (Subaru Crosstrek) does have a hitch receiver for a bike rack/hitch basket, it's tow rating is just 1500 lbs so we can only really tow a teardrop trailer and i'm not sure I'd really want to do that over any significant distance. It seems that Hertz et c won't let you tow with a rental car, so it seems the comedy option to get into a bumper pull TT is to rent a pickup from Enterprise Commercial lol.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Even something like the 300 miles a Rivian or F150 Lightning has would be a bit iffy as soon as you start loading it down. Would still love to see the F150 Lightning (or hell, even the F150 hybrid with the generator option) drivetrain guts stuffed into an RV chassis for electric camping.

For house loads, you can get away with rooftop solar and batteries, it's not even exotic tech at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Leather MIG gloves are surprisingly good grill/oven mitts. I have a couple for this purpose. Also pair of long locking tongs for flipping hot dogs / moving coals around for a Dutch oven.