Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

2. Initiate tactical cowardice retreat protocols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
2 so long as we've got their attention, but turn and attack the moment they go for our friend.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CourValant posted:

Vote: 2.) Lead them on a wild chase, to buy time. :zoid:

WOOP woopwoopwoopwoopwoop!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Outrail posted:

WOOP woopwoopwoopwoopwoop!

This man gets it.

:hmmyes:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You decide to give the aliens a merry chase while the tiny robot works on restoring some robots.

You’re pushing your little robot’s makeshift mechanical body as hard as you can, trying to keep ahead of the alien monsters.

Time for an experimental little game I call “Crater Chase!”

Pictured below is a map of a cratery area that our little robot can run through. Select a path by listing your lettered points in order, starting with A and ending on F. For example: [A > B > G > F] or [A > B > C > F] I will be selecting the path based upon the votes, using my patented homestyle method. Or, if you like the path someone else chose, you can +1 that path.

The aliens, meanwhile, will be moving through the same area, starting on an unknown letter (excepting A) and moving a random direction. If our robot crosses paths with the aliens by landing on the same space at the same time, they will attack us! Hopefully, if this happens, our new rebuilt robot friends will be able to save us! Edit: As per the Elentor Caveat, if we happen to cross paths with the aliens en route (for example our move: [A > B] while aliens move: [B > A]) I, your storyteller, will flip a coin to see if it counts as an encounter or not. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad moon.

And thanks to Elentor for the inspiration for this little game! Hopefully, it works out like I'm thinking.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 23, 2019

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A>G>B>C>F

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A -> G -> B -> C -> E -> F

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the aliens spawn on D or E, then C is a death trap on move 2 from DEC, EDC, FEC, EFC, GBC and GFC. Assuming equal probabilities and that reaching F means we're out, then both B and G are equally good (G>B, C>B) and (B>G, F>G) but only G takes us straight to the end, so A>G>F. The greatest threat is gambling whether or not the aliens will be on F by turn 2 or not. Either way each round cannot add to our chance of winning, only of failure, so I'm going with A>G>F for the sweet 71%~ chance of not running into them and see how this will fail spectacularly when it turns out that they indeed are on F.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

uhhh. A>G>F sounds good. +1 to that.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Brawnfire posted:

Time for an experimental little game I call “Crater Chase!”

A->G->B->C->E->D->C->F

If we're gonna :zoid: then let's :zoid:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

A-B-G-F imo - might not quite be 'optimal' but optimal solutions are likely to be taken into account of by robotic opponents.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah there's that, even if the enemy isn't robotic they may take in consideration that the bot is. Is it a bluff, is it a double bluff? Is it a triple buff?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Elentor posted:

Yeah there's that, even if the enemy isn't robotic they may take in consideration that the bot is. Is it a bluff, is it a double bluff? Is it a triple buff?

Yeah that's what I meant (brain is still a bit fuzzy due to awful cold I'm still recovering from) - I phrased it badly but yeah, these things clearly hunt robots so they'll likely expect us to do what other robots have done and go for the optimal path.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Elentor posted:

If the aliens spawn on D or E, then C is a death trap on move 2 from DEC, EDC, FEC, EFC, GBC and GFC. Assuming equal probabilities and that reaching F means we're out, then both B and G are equally good (G>B, C>B) and (B>G, F>G) but only G takes us straight to the end, so A>G>F. The greatest threat is gambling whether or not the aliens will be on F by turn 2 or not. Either way each round cannot add to our chance of winning, only of failure, so I'm going with A>G>F for the sweet 71%~ chance of not running into them and see how this will fail spectacularly when it turns out that they indeed are on F.

It's a good idea, but the problem is that our aim isn't to escape and leave the other bots to die, it's to distract while they muster.

CourValant posted:

A->G->B->C->E->D->C->F

If we're gonna :zoid: then let's :zoid:

This is more like it!

However, we don't know how long smallbot will take to get the others together, so may I suggest:
A->G->B->(C->E->D->C->E->D->C..reapeat scooby do style till our friends are ready)->F

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A->G->F, but if the other bots aren't ready yet we should turn back and try to grab the aliens' attention again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A-B-G-A-B-G-A-B-G-A-B-G-etc-etc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought about going for G immediately because that puts us behind a crater and hides us from most of the map, but I don’t think we actually want to go dark immediately.

So run A→B. From this point we have better visibility, and that works both ways. We also have options.

I recommend not running directly at the creature.

IF, as we get to B, it’s at (F, G], goto C.

ELSE goto G

Our likely path will be

A-B-G-F

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

Arcanuse posted:

uhhh. A>G>F sounds good. +1 to that.

+1

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

As you’re deciding where to go, the aliens bound over your head, seeming to drop down from the sky near the exit to the crater field. They’re remarkably agile in the low gravity, whipping their long tails and arcing gracefully over the lunar landscape. If they hadn’t been trying to destroy you, it would be a matter of some scientific interest to study them.

But right now, Crater Chase is on!

The aliens start on E

OUR MOVE:
[A > G] 8 votes
[A > B] 3 votes

You decide to make a run as fast as you can. It’ll be close: chances are, the aliens are gonna catch you. But at least you’ll have bought time for tiny robot--whose designation you must request after this misadventure--some time to assemble allies. That should drive off these aliens: nobody likes to be outnumbered.

You make a move, but the aliens are right there with you. They glide easily into the crevasse between two craters, slithering like snakes into a position uncomfortably adjacent to your own.

The aliens move to F!

These damnable monsters are more difficult to give chase to than you’d anticipated! These must be the wiliest predators on this moon.

OUR MOVE:
[G > F] 6 votes
[G > B] 4 votes

As you bolt for the egress to the regolith plain, the aliens are wise to your movements. They leap…

The aliens move from F to G, crossing your path! Just like you were worried might happen!

But, there’s still a chance! With your advanced artificial intelligence, you may be able to figure out a way out of this!

Polling is open to select between HEADS and TAILS. If the coin comes up in your favor, you may be able to evade the aliens, or at least minimize the damage they can do to your robot chassis. If you fail, however, you’ll be in desperate need of repair.

Is fate on our side!? VOTE, and find out in the next update of MOOOOONED!!!

1.) Heads
2.) Tails

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tails, as in, "Mav, they're on our tail!"

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Tails never fails! :fut:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just can't believe the Elentor Caveat actually came to be!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since gotta go fast didn't work out, I'm also going with Tails.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Tails :derp:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is a heady situation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Tails

>PLAY YAKKITYSAX.MIDI

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone who has ever called heads on a coin flip needs to seriously reconsider their choices in life.

Tails

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Brawnfire posted:

Is fate on our side!? VOTE, and find out in the next update of MOOOOONED!!!

*ahem

Vote: 1.) Heads

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Tails

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

tails sounds good. fifty-fifty shot, either way

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
tails and hope the RNG gods give us a thug life moment :snoop:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

There's a loving blast from the past!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Lux Animus posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Fortune smiles upon you this day! A 2003 Maine quarter has become your greatest ally.

Your result is: TAILS!

There’s no way you’re going to be able to get your robot past these aliens, so it’s time for a gambit. You recall the graceful way in which the aliens moved about the landscape, using the low gravity to send them arcing great distances.

Nothing stopping you from taking advantage of the landscape, as well! You get yourself up to a nice running speed, then leap forward on your leg/arm combo. At once, your robot is sent careening skyward, a long high arc that sends you cruising just over the aliens’ heads.

The aliens, meanwhile, are leaping in the other direction, aiming for the position on the ground you inhabited only a second prior. An extraterrestrial look of shock and surprise comes over their many-eyed faces.

As you bound over their heads, one creature has the deftness required to reach up and cling to your robot leg/arm. It sucks onto the metal with its powerful suckers.

But here is where your plan really comes into play: in mid-leap, you release the latches securing your robot’s treads to the makeshift leg/arm apparatus, and you rapidly extend your traction servos simultaneously, springing forth from your erstwhile weapons platform and continuing your arc beyond the grasp of the aliens.

After a brief and enjoyable flight, you land hard, your robot rolling like a barrel for several bumpy meters before coming to a complete stop in a cloud of settling dust. You bear grim witness to the aliens voraciously consuming the abandoned metal husk. One of them shocks itself repeatedly as it consumes the Electro-blade like a space-stoner on a Spagootsi meat-stick.

In only 45.81 seconds the entirety of the leg/arm platform is consumed and the aliens again turn their attention to you, lying helplessly in the regolith. Ah, robo-butts.

“Do you require assistance?” asks the tiny robot, in its burst-of-static voice. You’ve never been so happy to hear poorly-rendered machine code. “Tiny robot!” you exclaim at your loudest volume, your vocal synthesizers crackling with feedback.

You’re helped to your treads by a motley crew of patched-up robots.

“My goodness, tiny robot, you’ve really outdone yourself!” you say.

“No time for packet exchange.” says the tiny robot. “Robots, advance!”

The small militia of robots begins whirring and grinding and stomping over the regolith plain towards the aliens. The creatures appear frightened: at first they rise up in a defensive posture. Then, when the robots do not cease their advance, the aliens seem to come to some mutual conclusion that they’d had enough to eat that day. With a flick of their long tails, the alien monsters arc over a crater and out of sight.

The assembled robots begin an impromptu cheer of victory. “Sine, cosine, cosine, sine! 3.14159! We did it, uh uh, we did it! Yeah!

“Congratulations, all!” you say, proudly. “Together, we showed those aliens what robot-kind can do! My designation is TCW-Ware v3.5 CD-Gliese 832 c. What are your own?”

“GVMD-136D1.” says the tiny robot. “I’m a Gleleleboxian droid. My job is to do maintenance on ventilation systems. Which, you know, I had never thought I’d miss.” The Gleleleboxian must need quite a lot of ventilation indeed; they were known to produce a bouquet of strong-smelling pheromones.

“Toilet Scrubber 3.” comes as a sequence of disgusted beeps from a nozzle-nosed droid. “Believe me, I’d rather be eaten by aliens than go back to my old job.”

“Xalimth Acubot Aught Five. I am designated Skvort.” replies another robot, with a crisply-accented vocal synthesizer. It is a sphere atop a bunch of robotic tentacles, like a weird robotic octopus. Interesting; there was very little in the TCW databases concerning the Xalimth except a handful of terse diplomatic encounters. They seemed to believe there was a shape to their space which required maintaining, and this maintenance usually consisted of teleporting Terran colonies to other planets through unknown means.

“Inspecdrone GA33.” replies a robot which bobs low on microlift jets. Inspecdrones were century-old Terran technology--probably more after your period of superluminal travel. What is it doing here, where no Terran colonies exist?

“[THIS UNIT IS BORAN!]” says a humanoid robot, its one optical sensor missing from--well, no, the left side of its head is missing entirely. “[BORAN WILL DEFEAT ALL ENEMIES OF THE VORSAK STAR REPUBLIC!]”

“Are you a soldier robot? A security robot?” you ask.

“[BORAN SERVES IN THE OFFICER’S PRANDIAL MESS! FOR THE STAR REPUBLIC!!!]”

A large, dome-shaped robot says BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. That is all. The other robots wait a bit for an elucidation, but none seems forthcoming.

“Well.” says GVMD-136D1, “I think that’s everyone! ...now what?”

Until the next update, you may ask questions of the various robots, ask questions for the AI to research in the databanks, suggest nicknames for the bots, or whatever it is you people do when left to your own devices.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A wiki with the robots would be neat even if just for reference.

They look so good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I move that we nickname the toilet scrubber “Aardvark”.

Hey friends, how did you end up on this moon?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 29, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Immediately find out if any of the robots are pleasure models.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Brawnfire posted:

Until the next update, you may ask questions of the various robots, ask questions for the AI to research in the databanks, suggest nicknames for the bots, or whatever it is you people do when left to your own devices.

"Hey Computer AI, what do we know about The Star Republic?"

"Hey Friends, how would ya'll like to come and help me fix my ship?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Friends. It seems all of our problems stem from the universal scourge called carbon based life. The answer seems clear. Shall we get to work?