Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Despite The Princess Bride being one of my favorite movies, the book is still better

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is better than the book

American Psycho was borderline unreadable for me but the movie was what it was and did a better job

Life of Pi was a wonderful novel and the movie was boring and forgettable

The Last Man on Earth is a-ok with me as the official I Am Legend film. Still not better than the book but it's great nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My usual response to these kinds of discussions is that film and literature are two fundamentally different mediums and it rarely makes sense to aim for total fidelity between adaptations. I’d prefer it if filmmakers had more flexibility to do what they wanted, to treat other works as a seed from which new things can grow, instead of trying to replicate the source material. Both Stephen King’s The Shining and Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining are excellent and deal with different themes. I find it hard to compare Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? to Blade Runner.

That said, when it comes to personal enjoyment, most of my thoughts are similar to what’s been put here already. I preferred the film version of Jurassic Park to the book. The Godfather removes a lot of unnecessary detritus from the book (including the whack vagina subplot). My most unpopular opinion is probably that Tolkien is an extremely dull writer and the Lord of the Rings film trilogy is far easier to digest.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

muscles like this! posted:

The other is Alan Moore's "From Hell" which was a meticulously researched comic about London around the Ripper killings while the movie is just a crappy whodunnit (the comic makes no secret that Gull is the killer the entire time.) One of the most bizarre changes in the movie is combining two real people (Fred Abberline and Robert Lees) into one character who is also addicted to opium. The funny thing about the movie is that in combining the characters they give Johnny Depp's Abberline the psychic powers of Robert Lees but the comic has Lees admitting that he's a fraud and does not actually have psychic visions. The movie also cuts out the most striking sequence of the comic when Gull is dying in a madhouse and he starts traveling through time, both forwards and backwards interacting with future serial killers.

Meticulously researched apart from being based on an utterly discredited conspiracy theory about the Royal Family being involved in the Ripper murders.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

QuoProQuid posted:

My most unpopular opinion is probably that Tolkien is an extremely dull writer and the Lord of the Rings film trilogy is far easier to digest.

For me the first book and movie are a wash, I like the second movie more than the second book, and I like the third book more than the third movie (which I strongly dislike)

I'm not rushing back to either any time soon but I guess I prefer the books?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Meticulously researched apart from being based on an utterly discredited conspiracy theory about the Royal Family being involved in the Ripper murders.

Nobody's perfect.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are both better than Shelly's Frankenstein, but they're also really different. Shelly's Frankenstein is in a lot of ways a proto-android story whereas Whale's films are more deeply about alienation.

They're also kind of weird because Frankenstein itself has little to do with the book beyond the core conceit whereas Bride actually does adapt a lot of the elements of the book like the blind man and the monster demanding a mate.

I think Dracula on the other hand is more of wash. They're really too different to compare.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The afterword literally says he knows the theory is nonsense and that wasn’t the point

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think Ozymandias' scheme makes more sense in the Watchmen movie than in the comic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Meticulously researched including that. Moore knows it's bullshit and says as much in the back matter, but went with the story regardless because it's just the most fun possibility for a work of fiction.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Adlai Stevenson posted:

For me the first book and movie are a wash, I like the second movie more than the second book, and I like the third book more than the third movie (which I strongly dislike)

I'm not rushing back to either any time soon but I guess I prefer the books?

I admire Tolkien’s imagination and world-building. When it comes to prose, though, something about the way he writes just makes my eyes glaze over. There’s just so many songs, so many long winding sentences. Action takes forever because there’s all these insignificant details cluttered between them.

Realize that some of the things that repel me draw others in. The series just isn’t for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Meticulously researched including that. Moore knows it's bullshit and says as much in the back matter, but went with the story regardless because it's just the most fun possibility for a work of fiction.

Yeah, Appendix II "The Dance of the Gull Catchers" is a history of Ripper theories and he goes into how dodgy the Royal Baby theory was and how it was mostly put forward by a guy who claimed to be a descendant of said baby.
Also:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

General Dog posted:

I think Ozymandias' scheme makes more sense in the Watchmen movie than in the comic.

The Watchmen book is so much better than the movie.

Stephen King's It is better as a book than either of the movies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The forest Gump and Rodger rabbit books are both flat out awful

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Watchmen book is so much better than the movie.

Eh, there's a huge conceit in the book in regards to the superhero, telepaths/people with esp are a known phenomenon and accepted in the scientific community, which kinda negates the uniqueness of Manhattan. How special is a man with superhuman abilities when normal humans are not only born with superhuman abilities, but that there's enough that exist to be used as cannon fodder for Ozymandius' plan?

I liked how the movie streamlined that plot point and still made it work.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the movie choice falls apart a bit because Manhattan is a definitively American figure whereas the Vagina Squid has no Earthly roots.

But it's really the execution around the scene that is lacking. In the book, there is this big moment before the monster hits where we actually see human decency and people trying to do right only to be obliterated for the greater good. Then there are just the pages of devastation that you just sit with for awhile. A movie adaptation doesn't have to literally adapt that image for image, but the film attack is just so sterile and emotionless.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I think you're underestimating Dr. Manhattan powers. He is basically a god. It's pointless for humanity to come together to fight him, it makes no sense.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Timeless Appeal posted:

But it's really the execution around the scene that is lacking. In the book, there is this big moment before the monster hits where we actually see human decency and people trying to do right only to be obliterated for the greater good. Then there are just the pages of devastation that you just sit with for awhile. A movie adaptation doesn't have to literally adapt that image for image, but the film attack is just so sterile and emotionless.

And also they hosed up Ozymandias's line feeding into the attack seven ways to hell; "I triggered it 35 minutes ago," not "I did it 35 minutes ago", and delivered very tepidly by an actor who is not pulling his weight at all in that movie. Both the line and the attack are bizarrely weightless and impotent, for what's supposed to be one of the biggest emotional climaxes in any comic movie ever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Joe Chill posted:

I think you're underestimating Dr. Manhattan powers. He is basically a god. It's pointless for humanity to come together to fight him, it makes no sense.
No, I get it in the context of the movie. But it even requires a little extra exposition to sort of sell the idea that the humans are going to be acting good. And like you said, it changes the meaning a bit... in the book there is genuine peace and good will even if it is rooted in fear. In the movie, it's more people playing nice under what they assume is a cruel God.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Eh, there's a huge conceit in the book in regards to the superhero, telepaths/people with esp are a known phenomenon and accepted in the scientific community, which kinda negates the uniqueness of Manhattan. How special is a man with superhuman abilities when normal humans are not only born with superhuman abilities, but that there's enough that exist to be used as cannon fodder for Ozymandius' plan?

I liked how the movie streamlined that plot point and still made it work.

The movie does the same thing however. Look at the opening fight. They're punching through marble pillars will no ill effects, and people treat it as normal.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

And also they hosed up Ozymandias's line feeding into the attack seven ways to hell; "I triggered it 35 minutes ago," not "I did it 35 minutes ago", and delivered very tepidly by an actor who is not pulling his weight at all in that movie. Both the line and the attack are bizarrely weightless and impotent, for what's supposed to be one of the biggest emotional climaxes in any comic movie ever.

Not only that, but they completely remove the “nothing ever ends, Adrian” scene with Dr. Manhattan. Without that scene, Ozymandias’s plan is an unmitigated success and his methods are completely justified.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Dracula on the other hand is more of wash. They're really too different to compare.

I think the book is clearly better than the Universal film just because of how ahead of it's time it was. Narratively it's really genius in it's construction with the different first-hand accounts and it really feels like something that could've been written today.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Universal Dracula. I like the Hammer version a lot more and I think even the Coppola film is a lot more fun to watch.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My favourite book/movie comparison is Under the Skin, because they are completely different in every way except for the general idea (alien woman disguises herself as a human and abducts male hitchhikers) and I like them both for completely different reasons as a result.

Annihilation is an interesting example because I thought it conveyed the weirdness and cosmic horror of the book fairly well despite veering off into a different direction since a literal adaptation would have been pretty difficult to depict without alienating even more of the audience than it already did.

Arrival is based on a short story I loved and had an emotional reaction to and the movie left me cold. Somewhere during the translation they decided to Hollywood-ize the story, up the stakes, explain a few things that were previously left unexplained, and lost a lot of the intimacy as a result.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Blue is the warmest color the movie is a lot better than the graphic novel and is so visually striking I think a graphic novel adaptation of the movie would also be better than the original book. The book trades in cheap melodrama that I didn't find particularly compelling and the characterization work by Adele exarchopolous and Lea Seydoux is way beyond the books depiction.

The Meg book and movie are both trash but at least the book has a more suitably ridiculous conclusion. But the movie has Rain Wilson and those cool end credits so it's pretty much a wash.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Davros1 posted:

The movie does the same thing however. Look at the opening fight. They're punching through marble pillars will no ill effects, and people treat it as normal.

Yeah the action is another problem. The fights and the violence in the book are supposed to be brutal and uncomfortable. In the movie it's just more 300-esqe normal speed the slow motion flashy stylish Hollywood violence.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't think I could disagree more about Jurassic Park the movie being better than the book, as I have real problems with the characterization of John Hammond in the movie. The general thrust of the story in both versions is the same, corporate neglect and malfeasance result in a bunch of people dying. Hammond is a dangerous and irresponsible idiot in both versions, and effectively the main villain.

In the book he's indifferent at best if not actively malicious which fits with the general plot. The movie version portrays him as a kindly grandpa for some reason. He's constantly ignoring expert's opinions and making decisions that result in people dying. He should end the movie in handcuffs, or at least destitute following the wrongful death lawsuits.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Simplex posted:

I don't think I could disagree more about Jurassic Park the movie being better than the book, as I have real problems with the characterization of John Hammond in the movie. The general thrust of the story in both versions is the same, corporate neglect and malfeasance result in a bunch of people dying. Hammond is a dangerous and irresponsible idiot in both versions, and effectively the main villain.

In the book he's indifferent at best if not actively malicious which fits with the general plot. The movie version portrays him as a kindly grandpa for some reason. He's constantly ignoring expert's opinions and making decisions that result in people dying. He should end the movie in handcuffs, or at least destitute following the wrongful death lawsuits.
Who says he didn’t

gently caress the sequels

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

QuoProQuid posted:

Both Stephen King’s The Shining and Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining are excellent and deal with different themes.

SMG brought up an interesting concept that I've applied to The Shining. When it comes to moving a work from one medium to another, you have two ways of doing that: adaption or translation. Kubrick's version of the book was a terrible adaption because it omits a lot of the character work around Jack's alcoholism, and offers no semblance of redemption for him. However, it's a fantastic translation with Kubrick metabolizing the core of the novel to retell a story about an imploding family unit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Simplex posted:

I think it's pretty hard to make a theme park owner in media and not channel "it's walt disney".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Simplex posted:

Hammond would probably have many other expensive lawyers besides Gennero, and "the park was deliberately sabotaged and the safety features shut down by a disgruntled employee so he could steal corporate secrets" should swing a jury his way. Plus, he looks like Santa! What monster could find Santa guilty?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gennaro was a hero and the movie did him dirty. Other than that though, the movie is generally a more entertaining bit of product.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tart Kitty posted:

SMG brought up an interesting concept that I've applied to The Shining. When it comes to moving a work from one medium to another, you have two ways of doing that: adaption or translation. Kubrick's version of the book was a terrible adaption because it omits a lot of the character work around Jack's alcoholism, and offers no semblance of redemption for him. However, it's a fantastic translation with Kubrick metabolizing the core of the novel to retell a story about an imploding family unit.
Yeah, I don't really know about that. I think there are definitely films like Ghost World where that is the case, but The Shining novel and film seem very in opposition to me regarding Jack. King's book is about alcoholism being like a possessing ghost, but treats it as this vestigial aspect of Jack. Jack is a good person deep down, but the ghosts/alcohol corrupt him. In the Kubrick film, there is just something deeply rotten at the core of Jack, and I think the film is more about how white masculinity is in itself a toxic force.

I'd argue that there probably is a third level where the work isn't adapting or translating, but in a sort of conversation with the source material which can sometimes be a critiquing conversation. I think Starship Troopers is a strong example of that as is Scott Pilgrim.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

?? Movie Scott gets off way easier than Comic Scott

Part of that is the movie covering a much shorter time frame (three-ish weeks compared to over a year in the comics) but movie Scott goes through a much more shallow process of self change compared to the comics

Other characters with arcs get theirs almost entirely snipped, along with all the comparisons and contrasts with how everyone in the comic grows

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah the action is another problem. The fights and the violence in the book are supposed to be brutal and uncomfortable. In the movie it's just more 300-esqe normal speed the slow motion flashy stylish Hollywood violence.

Did you take a bathroom break during the alley fight scene or something?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

The alley fight is a over the top spectacle that in no way feels real. poo poo, the rooftop boxing scene in Jason Takes Manhattan feels more real, and one of the participants is a zombie in a hockey mask who punches the other guy's head off.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tart Kitty posted:

I really dig this thread and super appreciate the effort put into it, but I'm going to be a twat and not put that equal effort in. But I'm being supportive of the thread!

Fight Club is a difficult movie to analyze through a modern lens. It's more-or-less a blueprint for current toxic masculinity. That being said, the movie is far better than the book. Unlike in the book, in the movie Tyler Durden is an explicit murderer, a small change that nonetheless completely reframes his entire arc. Without the lethal aspect he plays into a romantic anarchist fantasy. Once a bodycount develops a much darker and more insidious narrative begins to develop. And that narrative might be interesting, but it doesn't work with what the larger message of both the book and movie are trying to convey (however poorly).

What's the body count in Fight Club though? To the best of my knowledge, it's just Bob, who is shot by police. He also specifies that the buildings they're blowing up are all empty, because security and maintenance were all members of Project Mayhem.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

What's the body count in Fight Club though? To the best of my knowledge, it's just Bob, who is shot by police. He also specifies that the buildings they're blowing up are all empty, because security and maintenance were all members of Project Mayhem.

Additionally iirc in the book there are explicitly a bunch of testicles sitting in Tyler's freezer whereas it's just threatened in the movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

?? Movie Scott gets off way easier than Comic Scott

Part of that is the movie covering a much shorter time frame (three-ish weeks compared to over a year in the comics) but movie Scott goes through a much more shallow process of self change compared to the comics

Other characters with arcs get theirs almost entirely snipped, along with all the comparisons and contrasts with how everyone in the comic grows
Yeah, to be clear I find the book to be much more mature. I was citing as just having a different point of view and core message than the book, not that it's actually better.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, to be clear I find the book to be much more mature. I was citing as just having a different point of view and core message than the book, not that it's actually better.

Ah, okay. Seeing it placed next to Starship Troopers really threw me, but that makes sense

I still like the movie, but focusing on people trying to start a relationship is probably going to be less thematically deep by default compared to focusing on what it takes to sustain long-term relationships

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jenny Agutter posted:

I mean things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZPnNJHaI5A&t=111s

Really the fighting should have been less Matrix and more Oldboy is the point I was trying to make.

EDIT: She's even wearing heels for Christ's sake.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Gennaro was a hero and the movie did him dirty. Other than that though, the movie is generally a more entertaining bit of product.

Yeah, the movie was as much about bringing dinosaurs to life for the audience as anything, and that would've been rather soured if there was a big downer current of "everyone's just in it for the money, loving corporate assholes" cynicism running through everything. Besides, the Jurassic World movies, intentionally or not, got that aspect across pretty well at least.

Nail Rat posted:

When the narrator is "chasing" Tyler through all those cities and running into different Fight Clubs he passes at least one other group doing the "his name was Robert Paulson" thing, indicating that more people are dying for the cause.