Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Books are some 19th century hogwash

Movies are the artform of the 20th century.

The artform of the 21st century is youtube poops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

FreudianSlippers posted:

Books are some 19th century hogwash

Movies are the artform of the 20th century.

The artform of the 21st century is youtube poops

what the gently caress is this youtube garbage

it's all tiktoks now, old man

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I really enjoy most of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series...at least up until Bear and the Dragon. Jack Jr. is a pretty boring protagonist. The Hunt for Red October is a better movie...Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and Sum of All Fears are better books.

As far as Crichton, I can't think of a book of his that I prefer over the movie, except maybe The Andromeda Strain? 13th Warrior/Eaters of the Dead and Sphere(film)/Sphere(book) are pretty close for me, but still prefer the movies in both cases. While I greatly enjoyed reading Jurassic Park as a kid, the movie fixes some weird decisions and skips a bunch of jargon that you don't need to understand that Jeff Goldblum is a national treasure.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If we're talking comics, History of Violence improved a lot on the comic's premisse and characters. Reading it after watching the adaption and it's a wonder why anyone would adapt it past its premisse. Which, I guess is what happened.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Cat in the Hat book was better than the movie.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been on a Stephen King kick lately with both IT and Pet Sematary and hey, this topic exists.
So I'll get out of the way that my verdict is that both books are better than the movies, as for why?

I'll start with IT. One of the biggest disservice the two recent IT films do to the novel is turn it into a more adventure-action horror with an almost light hearted tone between the jump scares. It's a shame because there are a few moments, themes and ideas that the movies touch on briefly that it shows sparks of being able to do well, but it never leans into it, in favor of just having Pennywise show up again and stretch his fang-filled jaw spookily again. A lot of discussion of IT bring up how the book flips between adult and child scenes (In fact, like the first quarter of the book or so, possibly more, is spent getting everyone together and having a single meal at a Chinese place while they all reminisce and catch up on the past) but it's certainly possible to split the child and adult halves as the films did, even if it doesn't work as well. But the second film felt the need to splice in additional childhood content, while leaving out several more interesting stories, in the first place. What I find more detracting from the film's case is that they really just drop the history of Derry, which was a big thing in the books.

For anyone who might not have read it; chapters in IT tend to be bookended between a history book that the narrative character, Mike Hanlon, is writing about Derry with no real intent to publish, one about the creature, about Derry and about the cycle that keeps happening and all the horrific violence that just kind of pervades the town. From horrifying domestic violence and mysterious mass disappearances, to entire town shootouts and the strange complicit behavior of the law enforcement. It really builds up that it isn't just a single spooky monster that eats kids - but that the town its self is wrong and it culminates, in the end, in the revelation; "IT is Derry!" which the second film touches on in an almost subtle, non-verbal way I really liked; but without any real implication or indication that there was anything larger going on, outside of the sudden plot beat that kind of happens in the last like half of the second movie, it loses its impact and kind of confused people I saw it with. It also doesn't help that the second film dropped almost all of the town stuff in general, you don't get any unsettling town-based incidents that you do in the book which really built up things as more than just "Spooky killer clown."

Which, really, is another huge issue. IT isn't about a spooky killer clown. Its themes of bigotry, abuse and trauma are far more prevalent than its slasher-horror tropes and most of the time the book leans into its shock-horror are during the child flashback segments, mostly the earlier child segments, where the kids are afraid of almost simplistic things like werewolves and mummies they saw in the movies, or of a disease they heard about from their friends. But as the book goes on IT starts weaponizing deeper fears against them; such as their abusers or family. One major complaint about the second film is that "the clown doesn't try to kill them!" but - that's a relic from the book, where when they get together as adults IT can't really attack them directly for a combination of reasons. One being that as adults, they have different fears and they still don't remember the past well enough to be afraid of IT like they were as children, making them harder to attack; and a second being that IT is afraid of them, since they hurt it. That is, explicitly, why it employs their childhood bully in the book. Because IT can't hurt them, but he can - and more over; he can remind them of their childhood fears. So until things come to a head, there are a lot of scenes where IT tries to scare them, tries to threaten, taunt and drive them away, rather than outright try to kill them.

I guess what I'm saying is that the films really drop the ball by excising basically any and all intrigue the book actually had in favor of being extremely overt and filled with jump scares. I wouldn't say they're bad movies, I like them as adaptations, but they just feel really limp compared to the book because they drop some of the biggest building concepts and moments, so it all feels rushed and somewhat hurried. A few things I did like about the movies more than the book though; Excising the weird child sewer orgy and the unexpected adultery is fine by me, definitely the low points of the book. Also; personally, I'm a fan of the "Richie was gay" take on the character, and it's one I tended to read into the character a bit, so it was neat to see it in the second film.

Now for Pet Sematary, which I only just now got around to watching because I heard it was bad. It kind of is. I will say I liked most of the changes though, Ellie being the one get smashed by the truck was slightly more interesting to me at least, but that's mostly because I don't think I could take the whole "monster baby" thing from the book seriously in a visual medium. What drags it down is that the tone is kind of unexpected, a lot of scenes and plot points ultimately feel unnecessary, and the pace is really slow. Like we have the wife's thing with her dead sister that kind of really pans out to nothing outside of giving us a few spooky hallucinations and giving her a reason to be afraid of death and the dead - but I kind of felt like the first one was enough? It just kind of kept coming back again and again to no real payoff or end. There was also Jud's wife, who is dead in this version, and it's vaguely implied what happens early on, then confirmed mere moments before he dies. But - again - I just kind of ask why? We didn't know her as a character, and we already had his dead dog as a story about how he knew where and what the graveyard really was. But at no point, until those last few seconds, does this have anything to do with anything so it just kind of seems weird.

But the tone is what stood out to me. Things are edited with such abruptness it's almost comical at times and it almost verges on being like dark slapstick towards the end. So it starts off really slow and plodding, gets a bit spooky and serious. Then just becomes a gory comedy? It's weird, inconsistent and the ending had me laughing. Speaking of; the ending is the best part of the film and I kind of loved it. It had a few moments but overall was just dull, with no real scares - not even jumpscares.

Personally; one of my favorite ways to enjoy Pet Sematary is the BBC audio drama, check it out if you can, it's rad.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Slaapaav posted:

i like the watchmen movie but the comic is an undisputed superhero comic masterpiece. the movie is nowhere close to being a masterpiece

I liked the comic but the movie intro has been one of the best intros I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
IT is pretty notable for how it bungles the theme of the book by breaking it up the way they did. By constantly alternating time lines, King is better able to show childhood trauma impacting them as adults but the movies can't really get there, particularly with Bill. He faces up to his trauma in the first movie because they need to give his character that arc, but then the second movie also needs him to do that again because its trying to force that theme in there.

I suspect the running time with the second part is them scrambling for something to make up for the way they've decided to structure it. Though I do wonder if it'll play better with a re-edit, as such I'm expecting a fan edit before the year is through.

Honestly though, I came out of that movie wondering why there's a second part at all.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Personally; one of my favorite ways to enjoy Pet Sematary is the BBC audio drama, check it out if you can, it's rad.
yeah I found it on yt and the audioplay format works really well, the one doing the protagonist really hams it up but it plays so well through audio

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never liked the new design for Pennywise because the insidious nature was that he was an invisible evil if you didn't know he existed. The Tim Curry version, outside his teeth, looked like a normal birthday clown, like an unwitting parent could think it would be safe to leave their kids with them, while the new guy is too evil looking to blend into the background.

Also on the book vs movie topic, I prefer reading the Ring books (Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki) to the movies, although there was an exception that I like Ring 0 Birthday for it's fresh perspective on Sadako's character. In the movies, Sadako directly murders people, but that's not how she rolls in the books - she doesn't want anyone to die, she has instructions in the video on how to survive, every death is a failure on her part. It's just a bunch of dumb kids taped over the end of her video as a joke not thinking it was real, so everyone who watches the tape without knowing what's up are screwed.

In the books, even those that fail aren't killed by her - watching the tape plants a physical virus in the bloodstream that after 7 days, triggers a cardiac arrest that's prompted by a severe sense of dread that didn't necessarily exist before. A biker suddenly becomes severely claustrophobic, trying and failing to rip his helmet off before having a fatal heart attack in traffic. A girl who's at home doing her homework while her parents are at a baseball game becomes paranoid about being home alone, worrying about how long her parents have been gone, and being gaslit by insects somehow getting in despite her being very sure she closed all the windows. A couple who were going to a quiet spot to be intimate are found clawing at opposing car doors as if they had becomes deathly afraid of each other. That's all more interesting than "Girl crawls out of TV"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I never liked the new design for Pennywise because the insidious nature was that he was an invisible evil if you didn't know he existed. The Tim Curry version, outside his teeth, looked like a normal birthday clown, like an unwitting parent could think it would be safe to leave their kids with them, while the new guy is too evil looking to blend into the background.

That's one of the things about the book; adults see Pennywise too. There are sightings of it throughout the town's history. It's just innocuous enough that they just think "Huh, clown, weird" and go about their business. There's nothing innocuous about the movie's version. It's designed to scream "EVIL" as soon as you look at it, which ruins its effectiveness.

The TV mini did it right be letting Curry bring the creepiness to it, instead of the costume design. His near orgasmic delivery of the line "Oh, they float." is more chilling then any of the CGI head shakes the movie did.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Tim Curry's Pennywise had to have been influenced by old Ronald McDonald commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tGbvfVpPGg

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Tim Curry's Pennywise had to have been influenced by old Ronald McDonald commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tGbvfVpPGg

poo poo, that's pretty much the opening of King's book, just replace balloons for hamburgers.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Davros1 posted:

poo poo, that's pretty much the opening of King's book, just replace balloons for hamburgers.

And people wonder were Stephen King gets it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BioEnchanted posted:

being gaslit by insects

Im not sure what you mean?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Annie Wilkes in Misery was based on Mayor McCheese

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DeimosRising posted:

Im not sure what you mean?

She has closed her windows, she keeps checking them, but supernatural bugs keep getting in and making her think otherwise.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BioEnchanted posted:

Also on the book vs movie topic, I prefer reading the Ring books (Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki) to the movies

In the books, even those that fail aren't killed by her - watching the tape plants a physical virus in the bloodstream that after 7 days, triggers a cardiac arrest that's prompted by a severe sense of dread that didn't necessarily exist before.

One of these days I'm just going to have to sit down and read these things just so I can peg what in the world they even are. The threat being this bio/techno/viral -thing seems so very out of left field from anything I associate with all things "The Ring" and I never know what to make of it. So is she even still a ghost? Up until this post I wasn't even sure if they were still horror.

I could still see it being spooky fun - I'm thinking like the first act of The Matrix before the main plot reveal. But it all sounds so bonkers and :wtc: like finding out the orcs in the Lord of the Rings books were actually the Borg or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

One of these days I'm just going to have to sit down and read these things just so I can peg what in the world they even are. The threat being this bio/techno/viral -thing seems so very out of left field from anything I associate with all things "The Ring" and I never know what to make of it. So is she even still a ghost? Up until this post I wasn't even sure if they were still horror.

I could still see it being spooky fun - I'm thinking like the first act of The Matrix before the main plot reveal. But it all sounds so bonkers and :wtc: like finding out the orcs in the Lord of the Rings books were actually the Borg or something.

She's simultaneously the anger of Sadako Yamamura at being raped and murdered by a smallpox victim, on top of the trauma of her mother being driven to suicide, and also the anger of the Smallpox virus at being wiped out by vaccinations. She's two yokai in one, and she is more virus than person as she cares more about reproducing than getting any kind of revenge. Every time someone dies rather than copying her psychic imprint (whether the videotape or an adaption of it) it's a failure for her. The main character of the first book's mistake is thinking that she is driven by Sadako's experiences and trying to lay her body to rest, at which point he finds out "Bitch please, I don't care that I'm rotting in a well, I just want to infect more people with me!"

It's totally bonkers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Davros1 posted:

That's one of the things about the book; adults see Pennywise too. There are sightings of it throughout the town's history. It's just innocuous enough that they just think "Huh, clown, weird" and go about their business. There's nothing innocuous about the movie's version. It's designed to scream "EVIL" as soon as you look at it, which ruins its effectiveness.

The TV mini did it right be letting Curry bring the creepiness to it, instead of the costume design. His near orgasmic delivery of the line "Oh, they float." is more chilling then any of the CGI head shakes the movie did.

Pennywise is kind of dumb in the newer movies, when in the book it's almost maliciously clever with how it appears to other people, showing up in places where you'd normally expect a clown (at parades or such) or in situations where you could almost understand someone dressing up as a clown. Like when reflecting on the town shootout, the guy telling the story is like "Yeah it was weird to see a guy in clown makeup - but we all just figured he was some big-wig who didn't want anyone to recognize him."

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

SimonCat posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P61KghCuQcU

Stephen King talks about meeting Ronald McDonald.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Davros1 posted:

The Cat in the Hat book was better than the movie.
A cat turd in a hat is better than that movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The more I think about IT the more I realise what a wasted endeavour it is. It feels weird to me to love a book, adapt it and then strip it of so much that made it memorable to begin with.

And CGI is simply not scary.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i said this in the horror thread but it's weird they cut out all of pennywise's most memorable lines.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I felt the same about the IT movie as well. The studio took out all the coming-of-age Stand by Me stuff and made the movie just so bog standard. You could have easily replaced Pennywise with Freddy Krueger and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 17, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a chance they would ever do an adapted novelization of the film version of a Stephen King book? I’d imagine King has clauses in his contracts prohibiting such a move, but it’d be pretty funny to get a novelization of the movie versions of It or Dark Tower.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Is there a chance they would ever do an adapted novelization of the film version of a Stephen King book? I’d imagine King has clauses in his contracts prohibiting such a move, but it’d be pretty funny to get a novelization of the movie versions of It or Dark Tower.

I posted this earlier in the thread:

Davros1 posted:

Max Allan Collins wrote the novelization to the film "Road to Perdition" which itself was an adaptation of the graphic novel "Road to Perdition" written by ... Max Allan Collins.

I always thought that was funny

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 17, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

frankee posted:

I liked the comic but the movie intro has been one of the best intros I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ

you've gotta be kidding me lol. the most obvious music choice ever made layered over shallow "twists" on iconic american imagery and carbon copies of panels from the comic. it's the laziest poo poo imaginable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he cast ozymandius too young and giving him the accent was so dumb.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

R. Guyovich posted:

you've gotta be kidding me lol. the most obvious music choice ever made layered over shallow "twists" on iconic american imagery and carbon copies of panels from the comic. it's the laziest poo poo imaginable.

Things don't have to be original to be effective. A lot of times the most obvious decision is the correct one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The music choice is kinda on-the-nose, but the sequence itself is effective visual storytelling. By the end of it, you pretty much know the entire backstory without a word being said by anyone other than Bob Dylan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The music choice is kinda on-the-nose, but the sequence itself is effective visual storytelling. By the end of it, you pretty much know the entire backstory without a word being said by anyone other than Bob Dylan.

It's just like the beginning of the previous year's Incredible Hulk, which open with scenes from a movie that didn't exist.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Things don't have to be original to be effective. A lot of times the most obvious decision is the correct one.

if anything watchmen is the example par excellence of strict, exacting fidelity not being conducive to a good adaptation. the opening sequence is just one of many reasons why.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

tghat videos a perfect encapsulation of the watchmen adaptation. some nice visual choices but way too on the nose and way too long

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In isolation it's a great choice of song for that montage, the problem is the whole film was full of obvious choices. "The sound of silence" during the funeral scene annoyed me most.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

tghat videos a perfect encapsulation of the watchmen adaptation. some nice visual choices but way too on the nose and way too long

"I'm sick of adaptations changing so much, why doesn't someone just use the original work as a script and make as authentic and straightforward a screen adaptation as possible?"

*Watchmen*

"Not like that!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what's really weird about the IT movies cutting out pennywise's best lines is they have pennywise say beep beep richie in 1 and bev say it to him in 2 but there's no context for it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

R. Guyovich posted:

if anything watchmen is the example par excellence of strict, exacting fidelity not being conducive to a good adaptation. the opening sequence is just one of many reasons why.

My issue is that there's this slavish fidelity to a source which is from an extremely specific time and place, and it's reproduced without comment 25 years later. The context of IRL 1985 - the Cold War, the post-Vietnam period, etc. - inform just about everything in Watchmen. You actually take Ozymandias seriously at the end, because dread of a nuclear apocalypse was a real thing. Vietnam and Watergate happened a decade before, and the alternate history aspects of that were timely or relevant. The entire zeitgeist the comic was responding to just didn't exist in 2009. So instead, you're left with this aesthetic exercise that feels like any given superhero story as a period piece.

The new show actually looks interesting in this regard, because it looks like it's trying to say something about 2019. Rorschach's journal has birthed some kind of alt-right QAnon truther movement. The cops adopt masks to systematize non-accountability. Ozymandias is still powerful and relevant because of how successfully he buried horrifying misdeeds. The show might still suck, but it feels like it's about now. (The Boys is also a good watch for these reasons. It's deconstructing superheroes as corporate products, and it's pretty rad.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

what's really weird about the IT movies cutting out pennywise's best lines is they have pennywise say beep beep richie in 1 and bev say it to him in 2 but there's no context for it.

Life sucks bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

huh.