Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think I prefer Rope as written by Patrick Hamilton to Hitchcock's production. The differences in the characters as written are mostly slight, but transplanting the movie to the 50s as Hitchcock does means we lose Rupert Cadell being a WWI veteran, and consequently lose my favourite dynamic of the story.

In Hitchcock's telling, the crime of Brandon and Philip is to place themselves above others, and thus violate American equality. As Hamilton writes it, the conflict is between nihilisms. Cadell came to the conclusion of the cheapness of life through his experiences in WWI, and consequently his whole intellectual project is trying to reconstruct some humanity. To Brandon and Granillo, the cheapness of life is entirely an aesthetic to be enjoyed. They (well, Brandon) revel in the cruelty. To them the cheapness of life turns them into the sort of people who committed WWI, rather than those who suffered through it. I just find it much more interesting.

I could talk about Hamilton's Brandon for hours. Hitchcock's Brandon not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU