Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TwoPair posted:

:same:

I can't believe I'm invested in a relationship with the comedy "elegant" guy that we already know doesn't end up happening

there's still time :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
How old is Henderson ? Because I don't think this is the same war that took Loid's parents.

How long did the war last, or were there several wars/skirmishes during the last what, 40 years?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Scallop Eyes posted:

How old is Henderson ? Because I don't think this is the same war that took Loid's parents.

How long did the war last, or were there several wars/skirmishes during the last what, 40 years?

We don't know his actual age but if we go for the direct real world analogy, if it's the Cold War, a dude his (apparent) age almost certainly could've lived through both World Wars

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TwoPair posted:

We don't know his actual age but if we go for the direct real world analogy, if it's the Cold War, a dude his (apparent) age almost certainly could've lived through both World Wars

Yeah if we assume SpyXFamily takes place in an ersatz 1960's then the war in Henderson's backstory here is WW1 while Loid's is WW2

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

He's mentioned to be 66 in Chapter 5.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just reread the Loid flashback chapters and doing some quick math (with a lot of guess-timates since there's never any hard numbers) when thinking further about the Henderson question.
  • Prior to the war's start, one (poor foolish doomed) random background character says he thinks the recently-new peace treaty between Ostania and Westalis will end "little conflicts and skirmishes", so clearly tensions have been building... or perhaps they've been high since a prior war?
  • Loid is a kid (let's say 8-10 at best) playing soldier (because the propaganda machine has already started) when his village is bombed... and then his second village is bombed, killing his mom.
  • He lies about his age to enlist early and enlistment for Westalis is 18 but he manages to bluff his way past the recruitment officer so I'm guessing he's around 15-16 then.
  • He manages to get promoted to sergeant by the time he meets Franky in the forest, then gets injured and is forced to the backlines while recovering when he meets up with his childhood friends that he thought died. They are apparently fairly new recruits then so if we assume that they're all the real same age as he is, that puts Loid at 18.
  • His buddies then get deployed and promptly killed and Loid is then recruited by WISE shortly after and starts working for them and the war ends at some point between then and the story's start when he's a superspy.
  • I'm ballparking his (and Yor's) ages to be roughly late 20s to early 30s at story's start, and Loid's clearly been doing missions to maintain the peace (rather than "to end the war") for some time.

All this complete bullshit math leads me to believe Loid's war was approximately somewhere between 10-15 years long. Which is a very roundabout way of me getting to that there was either definitely a World War 1 equivalent in the Spy x Family universe that Henderson (and Martha) lived through or those two aged in goddamn dog years.

edit:

narm00 posted:

ah okay, well then since he's 22 at the end of this chapter (though granted the war hasn't started), there's no way there wasn't a prior war. Either that, or the war was actually very long and Loid has aged incredibly gracefully

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 29, 2024

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
do we know how long the current peaceful period has lasted?

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

do we know how long the current peaceful period has lasted?

According to Chapter 12, the Iron Curtain's severed Westalis and Ostania for more than a decade; going by what we know about Twilight (became a spy before the war ended, spent ten-odd years as a spy by Operation Strix), it happened sometime after he was recruited by military intelligence.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

narm00 posted:

That's surprisingly on track with how he's drawn. I figured he was an anime 40.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

That's surprisingly on track with how he's drawn. I figured he was an anime 40.

Yeah, anime/manga characters usually age like they drank from the wrong Grail after about 35

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
There can be two wars, guys. There's historical precedent.

If Henderson or one of his friends goes into the army and is issued a pickelhaube, we'll know for sure.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ow man thats depressing.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Its Biplanes in the last panel, 90% chance its WW1

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

habituallyred posted:

Just saw that. Funny thing is that I can roughly pinpoint the year since one of the previous pages has what looks to be a Liberty Truck and those didn't step off assembly lines til 1918. So based on that and what was mentioned about his age before, the year is roughly 1964.

Edit: I was off by a year. The Liberty Truck started being used in late 1917 so the approximate is 1963 to 1964 for current era assuming no other major changes.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 30, 2024

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

habituallyred posted:

Quite a number of biplane fighters and bombers served on the front lines during the early years of WW2 before ever evolving tactics and technology pushed many into second-line roles. Many were certainly considered uncompetitive and obsolete compared to monoplanes but some managed to stay on the front lines thanks to being able to excel at certain mission profiles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Gladiator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_CR.42_Falco
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_I-153

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Swordfish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_Po-2

That said, this war is probably analogous to WW1 considering Ostania and Westalis are coded as Germany and the Heinkel He 50 was fielded in incredibly small numbers and mainly served on the Eastern Front.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Doggy iron lungs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Code White film was playing at my local theater and I managed to see it.

It was really good!