Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just marathonned this whole thing in the past few days and I love that after multiple chapters of hyper-competently killing like 30 assassins, the minute Yor is back with the family, she's back on her clumsy bullshit losing it on a zipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, her unreal tennis swing might not have registered to the dumbest super-spy Lloyd, since he and Nightfall are also tennis gods. This may be the first superhuman thing she's done that Lloyd has both actually seen and can't be too easily lied about (even though I suppose she just did pull it off easily enough). And she only did it one-handed to boot.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 6, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This was nice but if we're gonna have unusual team-ups then where's my Nightfall & Daybreak team up dammit

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 21, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is what's finally gonna force me to get a crunchyroll sub I guess

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

First episode is up on Crunchyroll, disappointed in how they handled "turn around and you're dead" but other than that I'm happy with it. :toot:

Yeah it didn't make Twilight look nearly as scary as in the manga but agreed that otherwise it was great.

I forget did the manga have the bit about Anya thinking they had bacon in a bakery? Cause that got a good laugh out of me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably accurate since I'm sure eventually the thorn princess will be sent on a mission to kill twilight

Oh definitely.

Nerdietalk posted:

I’m also expecting the eventual reveal that Donovan or his other son were involved in Anya’s experiments.

Also oh definitely

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Here's another piece of fanart I'd like to share. I don't think it's spoilery, but I'm putting it under the black bar just to be safe.

This needs the end where Anya follows in her father's footsteps from episode/chapter 1 and breaks it off immediately after the mission's over

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

You know there's gotta be a least a couple chapters at some point where Loid and Yor know know each other's secrets but are working together comically to keep all this from Anya.

Or you flip it the other way and they Loid and Yor learn Anya's secret but both of them remain oblivious to each other's actual jobs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loid's just gonna start setting up accidents everywhere so Anya can keep saving people like the pool incident. The victim in every instance will be Franky.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I will literally never get tired of jokes about Yor's superhuman strength.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't seem like Anya can really read deep into minds though, she only gets the surface stuff and usually only when she tries. That said you're probably right, he's not Loid, he's not Roland Spoofy, he's Twilight. We don't get his name because it's not relevant to him (also there's probably gonna be a dramatic reveal later that actually matters)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Actually my name is Lloyd. Who spells their name Loid?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

After putting off this manga for forever, youtube started popping up clips of the anime on me and I'm starting in on the manga (and I'll get the anime once all the episodes are out I expect). Issue 3 of the manga had me literally crying with laughter at the end (probably the hardest I've laughed at any anime or manga in a looong time) so I think I'm in for a fun ride.

Be sure to pop in every few chapters and tell us who your favorite character is and why it's Daybreak

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't really feel that a series with the premise of Spy X Family is going to ask its audience to be particularly kind to bad parents.

Yeah, maybe there will be some twist, but I highly doubt it will be "actually Desmond is a good guy and Westalis/WISE are the bad guys." I think it'll more likely have something to do with Anya.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nebrilos posted:

My theory is that there are two Desmonds and that they both intentionally got the same scars so that you wouldn't be able to tell which was which or that there were two of them.

I don't know what the point of that would be since they don't have a magic act a la The Prestige. However it would give Loid and Yor each their own Desmond to kill at the end.

Arkanian posted:

I'm fond of the theory that Desmond's scars are from a failed surgery intended to give him mind-reading powers.

I actually really like this idea.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

where the red fern gropes posted:

best part

also anyone got anya punching damian as a gif

I couldn't find any that looked that great so I made my own (probably way too big)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 17, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Worfles" is a hilarious nickname for Bond. Kinda wish that was his real one now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I literally have been training new hires at my job so I've never empathized more with a manga character before

...well, at least, since this one

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

So just to be sure that I'm reading between the lines right here:
Wellman was indeed having an affair with a mob boss's wife. The Mob boss found out and used his connections to run stories exaggerating what happened as well as other stories falsely accusing him of treason as payback.

Kinda sorta? That's what it ends on but the point is at the end when the rookie asks what the truth is and Handler basically tells him "don't believe everything you see on TV/read in the news, especially when you know for a fact the news is just state-run propaganda tabloids. You're a smart guy [that works for a spy network], fuckin' figure it out yourself."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 12, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So Yor Briar: the College Years then?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Agent Twilight, first super-spy in the genre to die from an anxiety attack

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ah, Anya's not an esper, she's a Newtype!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anya Psycho 100

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa:

And here I thought we were in for just a simple "Yor is a superwoman" antics plot with a dash of "oh but she's also socially inept" melancholy. Wasn't expecting plot development!

Got a good laugh out of Yor not understanding "piercing eyes". I wonder if she's ever heard the expression "staring daggers".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 24, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

drat pulling out the ゴゴゴ out of nowhere

This must be the work of an enemy stand mom!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

they're the LADY PATRIOT'S SOCIETY I think "appearing to be nice" is about all they've got, especially with that look at the end.

I bet they're about as on-the-level as our real world "Patriot" groups

Metal Gear Yor 2: Wives of the Patriots

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'd put my stakes that the menacing vibes at the end are just because she just found the mom of the kid who punched her kid

I totally forgot about that (how could i forget one of the series' most iconic moments?) and yeah honestly if there's anything about Melinda that's supposed to be menacing aside from her last name it's that she found the mother of the kid who hit her kid. And also since she just saw her performance on the volleyball court, she can probably put two and two together and realize that Yor is the one who taught Anya to punch in the first place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I love this dumb superwoman

e: guess I should add spoiler tags since everyone else is

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

I mean, if you discovered someone spying for a country that you're not quite at war with but definitely suspicious of, would you really believe them if they tell you they're spying for peace?

Yeah, it doesn't matter if they're there for peace, at the end of the day a foreign spy is gonna raise eyebrows. They're not able to see Twilight's thoughts like us (or Anya) so they don't know he's a good guy, they just know he's from their neighbor that's in a real shaky truce.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol that Loid's biggest threat so far isn't actually being found out by his assassin wife or her cop brother but being too good at his fake job.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Guy is just Twilight in an elaborate disguise

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's cute that Yuri thought that whistling kept the bears at bay. No, it's because even then, the bears knew not to gently caress with Yor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That is so adorable/disturbing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love every time Loid whips out some new ubermensch skill for something dumb that ultimately has zero effect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's always kinda funny to me, because Spy x Family has it's fair share of dark moments, so I always imagine Endo's editor smacking him on head with newspaper and going "No! Bad Endo! Lighten up again!" before he gets too into it.

"You draw another funny Anya face right now mister!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

:agreed:
Or possibly Yuri, but he's the dark horse.
Anyways, direct mortal threats to their daughter/niece? Dead men walking one way or the other, as Yor and Yuri are not nice people. Possibly good (jury is still out for Yuri), but not nice

Well we know the police know, which puts Yuri closest to action honestly. And yeah, he's a member of the secret police, but as everyone's pointed out, all the kids are too high-profile to not have it be an all hands on deck scenario for the government.

e: poo poo, WISE knows, which means possibly Nightfall might be in play soon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyas On Patrol

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1586940573684207616

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Oh poo poo, if this actually makes the news and Anya's photo is broadcast/printed then the mad science group who made her is probably going to butt their way into the tangled mess of family adjacent organizations.

I don't think Anya's an escapee or anything though is she? Wasn't she just written off as a failure (kinda like Bond) and dumped in that orphanage? At most the scientists would be like "huh, it's that girl".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I mean, he isn't really. He rushed in concerned for Anya with no greater motive or thought so far as we're told/shown, and only tried to brush her off as expendable after he was expressly forbidden from interfering. Which came off as (a) him trying to justify obeying orders and more importantly, (b) Yuri exaggerating/catastrophizing a worst case scenario as a way of coping being removed from the mission by walking mentally through what it'd mean. Which started with him going "well, it's not my problem what happens", i.e. it's only a possibility that he's considering she might die but the result regardless of outcome is outside his hands because he's not allowed to be actively involved, before immediately going "Oh, but if she does die then Yor would be happ...no, she wouldn't, she'd be heartbroken". He still realized that despite his supremely self-centered view of Yor that she'd be devastated if Anya was killed, and that empathy for Yor's personal feelings; not the feelings he projects onto her, overrode any order. He's not cool with a kid getting murdered; he's trying to be, because his job kind of requires him to treat people as statistics, but he's not despite his efforts.

Or at least, that'd be my read on what was happening.

Yeah his first interest is Chihuahua Girl when he hears, then does the whole talking himself down when chastised by his boss, then freaks when imagining Yor grieving. I honestly don't like Yuri very much as a character and generally only tolerate him because he mainly exists as a gag character to get owned, but in this case I believe he at least enters the plot out of genuine concern for Anya.

But hey I'm willing to accept alternate reads of him as a purely awful siscon stasi, because I'm sure in the end it'll end as all Yuri plots do, with him getting either physically and/or emotionally wrecked by the Forger clan somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

Has the anime already passed over Yor getting shot in the rear end, or is there still time?

It's passed over it but the fun of the extra chapters is that by their very nature they can be put basically anywhere. So if the anime crew just wants to fill time they can still do it.