Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfface posted:

Next time, we will learn Yuri is actually Yur.

Hunter from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah but I still want to know what the hook is with this completely and boringly ordinary family.

They're trying to get their kid to succeed in a highly prestigious school, despite being so ordinary.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Does Yor have like super cold war steroids?

Like your Popeye, she ate her spinach every day.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Incidentally, that's also the number of chapters it'll take before Loid and Yoru finally kiss.

All the more reason we need it to keep going!

Can't end before that, can we?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arianya posted:

I'm starting to think they shouldn't let Henderson teach classes other then history.

That's not a very elegant way to think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Daybreak is actually a super spy who was playing 4th dimensional chess, by acting like a bad enough spy that he needed to be helped into the vault and having his changed answers fixed he now knows that the teacher that was with him was Twilight and he has some sort of mission involving the school.

I dunno. Can he really be all that smart?

I mean, I haven't seen him light himself on fire yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

That's it, that last chapter was too dull and boring, I'm dropping the series.

What?

We got a misunderstanding where the principal thought that Loid hits his patients, we got a funny scene of doctors rethinking their opinion on ghosts after a spooky noise, and we got Anya's terrible handwriting.

I know this comic being about a very normal family can be dull, but this had a bit more of them getting into comic circumstances. I don't see why this one would be the dealbreaker.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Secret illegal cross country road race.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Loid's the next DLC character

I'd ask "which game", but that's why the reveal's so big.

Every game with DLC from this day forward is going to have to release Loid before it can add any other characters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That's fast.

If this gets a good anime, we might even have to consider Demon Slayer numbers being on the table.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crasical posted:

This feels like an explosive success for someone's first serialized manga.

...is what I'd say, but according to wikipedia this guy's been grinding away for 20 years on oneshots before this big break.

He had a few serialized manga before, too. Tista ran for two volumes in Jump SQ.

He and Shihei Lin, his editor, go way back. They went to New York together to research Tista, they developed the concept for Spy X Family together, and he even assigned Endo to work as an assistant for an up-and-coming kid he had doing a series in Jump+.

That series was Fire Punch.

Basically, Shihei Lin is one of the all time great editors, and if he believes in a writer, he's going to do what it takes to let them succeed, no matter if that's "I think we should go lighter and more family friendly this time. You know, change it up." or "I see no reason your color pages shouldn't be an uncensored lesbian orgy. Go for it."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Yeah, Spy x Family is more of a slice of life about a couple of fun characters becoming a found family and the plot is, at best, secondary to any antics they get up to in service of the plot. I'm not even sure how you'd measure pacing in a work that is basically entirely dependent on the interaction of the cast, and where the plot is probably just a nebulous goal to hang in the background and frame everything around.

Power levels.

If having people loudly talk about them would be too distracting, we can just put a scouter in Henry's monocle so we can see how much more powerful Anya gets every chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

People down the line are gonna be so confused when Anya manages to jump rope several times to help out in a mission and will never know how she got to that point :argh:

It's a way to remind the readers that a good spy studies all available intel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

A four year old from an orphanage being able to keep up with a bunch of rich 6 year olds who've probably had tutoring is very impressive. I don't think she's dumb at all.

I think Hina from later on in Hinamatsuri is a decent comparison point in some ways.

Both Hina and Anya aren't stupid. They act stupid due to circumstances, sure, (Anya being four in a school for 6 year old children of wealth, Hina being lazy and sleeping through school every day of her life) but when the rubber hits the road, they're able to easily keep up with the average, and even have moments of brilliance.

The thing is, they're not geniuses either, so there's no big moments to counter the moments of being stupid, (and Anya has the whole psychic thing) leaving an impression of them being much stupider than they are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hina isn't stupid, she's just a terrible person.

Part 1 Hina is stupid.

Part 2 Hina is super scum.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Life Skills at 5 seems slightly generous.

She held down a job and lived on her own for years while maintaining her cover. That requires a certain amount of general life skills, even if Yor's domestic skills have more enthusiasm than effectiveness.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

You just made me realize that unless she lived her whole live on takeaways and restaurants, Yor had to be able to eat, survive and tolerate her own cooking.

Where do you think that inhuman poison tolerance came from?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

My speculation only exists because Chainsawman has taught me to fear for the worst for every character I care about.

Look, just because both series have the same editor is no reason to be worried. I mean, sure, Endo was Fujimoto's assistant on Fire Punch, and yes, both series do have a cold war setting, and Chainsaw Man didn't kill any major characters until about a quarter of the way in, but, really. What are the odds of something bad happening around a professional assassin?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

Oh did Part 2 start already?

Just the second popularity poll.

You can vote for any character, as long as it's Makima.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Open the door and obliterate whoever is on the other side Yor

What if it's Anya?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nice touch on a narrative level?

The assassins that Yor can't kill due to circumstances are being established as Professionals. They hit the target, and nobody else. Still bad people, but with enough sympathetic qualities that you don't need them to die.

Meanwhile, the guys getting iced are shown to want to violate those rules, so it's totally okay to murder them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mecha posted:

I did, and I'm also pretty sure that "King of Chak--" is a reference to the assassin from the "how Char and Lalah met" scene in Gundam: The Origin

Wait. Does that mean you're suggesting that

Yor is a Newtype? I mean, we know that Anya isn't, because Newtypes aren't psychics according to Lt. Bajeena, so someone else has to be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a kitten posted:

A podcast i really like just did an episode on Spy x Family and pointed out something on the volume covers i should probably have noticed on my own:

From Left to Right: 1. Loid’s chair: Le Corbusier LC2; 2. Anya’s chair: Irving Harper: Nelson Marshmallow Sofa; 3. Yor’s chair: Eames La Chaise; 4. Bond’s chair: Ball chair by Eero Aarnio; 5. Yuri’s chair: Mies van der Rohe Barcelona

I knew they were cool art chairs, but i didn't know they were very specific cool art chairs

Very specific, character appropriate real world art chairs. But it's not that much of a surprise, considering that we're talking an author who actually went to New York with his editor back when he was doing a manga set in New York, despite having almost no budget.

They had to share a room.

I'm not saying that assigning Endo to work as an assistant for a 23 year old weirdo movie geek was revenge, per se. I'm just not not saying it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Well there is a second bomb apparently, so the odds are good.
I feel for the daycare person. Imagine losing the kid 5 minutes after she arrived.

If Gundam has taught me anything about elementary schoolers, it's that even a robot that makes ice cream isn't enough to keep them from sneaking away and getting involved with bomb plots. You just have to get used to it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

drat this looks good. I can't wait for the anime to fill the hole Princess Principal put in my mind after that season was concluded.

I mean, Princess Principal technically isn't over yet. There's been two movies released, with four more in planning. Takes a bit longer to see them than the day and date we get for most anime these days, but there is going to be more content for that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

What hardware is used for that. I see the cursor move a lot but nobody has that godly mouse control

Probably using a tablet. I've seen Wacom liquid mentioned in interviews with mangaka before.

(Of course, fine control forces me to mention that the mangaka Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is known for not doing roughs whatsoever. Dude just starts sketching until the drawing is done. It's insane.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

"I've lost everything I cared about. The only things that were left in my world were the things I despised. And that was reason enough to pick up a gun." drat it Loid... :smith:

On the other hand, Scruffy and Loid knowing each other for decades, was simultaneously the most and the least surprising reveal in this chapter. :v:

Probably not decades. Loid's in his early 30s at the oldest, and he was 16ish when he joined the army.

Still, he's known the guy his entire adult life, and that's still pretty significant.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Lloyd knows all kinds of state secrets. If he figured out Anya could read minds, it would get very ugly very quickly. At the very least, they would cease being family immediately.

Letting Anya loose would be the worst possible option. It would be smarter to keep her close, at least until he could assess what she knew.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

We got some narration early on that the Iron Wall falls 10 years from then and I could see that tying into the manga's resolution.

There's also an early scene with the Handler where she tells Twilight they budgeted 4 months for Anya to get the 7 Stellas which, lmao.

4 months... Namek time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doodles posted:

Sebastian Q Arbuthknot or Lester P Mainwaring

Raymond Luxury-yacht.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

His breakdown will be legend

I think that it's going to be a purely internal breakdown, where only Anya can see it. Feels more in-character both for Loid and the manga.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

The war is nominally like WW2, the setting is somewhat Germany, and it's roughly 20-ish years after the war.

But it's also not exactly WW2, just like it's not the exact same dynamic between East and West, so it doesn't exactly have to be strictly 1 to 1 with the real world. The setting will do anything from the late 60s to the early 80s as need be to hit the "Cold War Spy Shenanigans" tone it wants.

I think the anime even said that it was the 2020s, judging from Yor's biographical data.

(Which would be extra-funny, given how another Cold War Jump manga surprised people by being set in the 90s.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Same time period as Archer.

And Chainsaw Man?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Loid is as strong as Nam, but a little weaker than Bacterian, while Yor is stronger than Goku when he fought Nappa, as long as neither is using the kaio-ken.

Yeah, that checks out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Can Anya beat Yamcha at baseball?

Anya's stubby 4 year old legs wouldn't get her around the bases fast enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Popo posted:

This is a good run down of his history. Turns out Chainsaw Man (well, Fire Punch) was a factor in him getting back into making manga. There's something really nice about seeing the stops and starts before he really got running with Spy x Family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITi6n3z-gdk

It's still interesting to me that Endo's editor told him to go work as an assistant for a rookie a decade plus younger than he was. You need a lot of trust to do something like that without it being very awkward for everyone involved.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

some incredible faces this chapter

it feels like seeing the opposite side of every interaction i ever had with a teacher

You're a psychic?

You know, you have to tell people if you're psychic. It's a rule.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arbite posted:

I mean Haman was the only tyrant that managed to fully conquer the Earth and it's space in the whole franchise, there are lower heights to aspire to.

She didn't, though. The Earth Federation came to a truce where they gave her side 3, and they weren't doing active resistance because ZZ Gundam's Federation is lovely in ways that make no sense even with their bad track record in Zeta, but she's never given authority over Earth or the sides other than Side 3, which she didn't even appear to get most of from how she didn't roll into Zum City to see the Zabi family castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Getting "0" on a test is actually kind of impressive. You'd think random guessing or something would get you a few points on average.

She was copying off Miles Morales.