Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Heck, I'm sure they can turn a date night full of incidents into something romantic anyway. See: end of chapter 2.

That proposal scene is still one of the best of the series imo, but all of it is pretty great. Looking forward to how much better the inevitable real proposal will be, though :v:

There will absolutely be a chapter, that will begin with them wanting to kill each other, will consist of them demolishing the neighborhood while fighting each other and will end with them kissing passionately. That's non-negotiable. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

gnome7 posted:

Not to say that I think the manga would be better if he was more suspicious of her, it's just a very funny blind spot for this otherwise overcautious super spy to have.

Same for Yor, who completely bought that a car chase with gang of criminal is a completely ordinary event in the life of psychiatrist. I love the implication that them being super spy/super assassin their whole lives, their expectations for physical prowess and general competence of an ordinary person is just completely skewered.

"Yes, of course she kicked that grown man through wall, what's so weird about that, everyone can do it, no?" :confused:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Even though this chapter wasn't as packed with gags as usual (not saying there weren't any, or even that there were few), I liked it. We needed a chapter that makes it clear where exactly is Loids and Yors relationship (pretty much nowhere) and sets up a starting line from which it can develop further and this one did it nicely. Also Yor and Yuri are apparently family of superhuman alcoholics and this both amuses and terrifies me.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Anya reacting in the background to thoughts and inner monologues of other characters is one of my favorite running gags. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They are antennas and she is using them to read everyone's minds.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MJP posted:

Anya is a Diclonius and this is actually a canon sequel

Oh my god, extremely embarrassing memories of what edgy teenage me considered great anime came flooding in with that name.

Curse you! :negative:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The thing that shocked me the most probably was the fact that Yors wound actually didn't just magically heal with a good night sleep. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Yor... What kind of life have you had up to this point...

Also that looks like a VERY good (future sight) boy!

It actually kinda makes sense - the vast majority of dogs Yor encountered were probably guard dogs of people she was sent to assassinate.

Also people are sleeping on Becky and the fact that she considers pink tank, or pink jet, a suitable presents for her. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Future dog is super good boy and I can't wait until he officially joins the family. :kimchi:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean Anya DOES know everything about Lloyds mission and is dumb motivated enough to try to finish it on her own. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ania going "Time to solve this crisis! Oh wait, I am 4-years old, I have no idea how any of this stuff works!" was very powerful. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Bond is extremely competent good boye. Anya is extremely incompetent cutie. I hope Yor will never stop living in her own bizzare fantasy world.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yor buying a cactus and a rope as part of her cooking ingredients slayed me. :allears:

This manga is incredible. I don't think there was a single weak chapter so far.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Becky is very good. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
While Daybreak was the highlight of this chapter, I just want to focus for a bit here on how super wholesome it was for Twilight to not change anything about Anya's scores.:kimchi:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In a twist, it will turn out that Westalis is the communist country. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
While I recognize that introducing a love rival is super cliché move, the chapter did actually pretty good job in making me like Nightfall and I hope she eventually ends up with the only man fit for her - Daybreak.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

I thought it'd have been obvious, what with Yuri's uniform/job, his nation being 'Ostania' and the whole setting being set in a not-Cold War, it was obvious it was Not!East Berlin.

Reminder that Twilight's main target is wealthy businessman as well as leader of a Ostanians nationalistic party and a plot point in one of previous chapters was his company buying out the company of one of Damien's schoolmates. Which doesn't really track to communism, even Soviet-era style communism very well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Agent Mama is less smart than a stuffed penguin Agent Penguinman :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

She held down a job and lived on her own for years while maintaining her cover. That requires a certain amount of general life skills, even if Yor's domestic skills have more enthusiasm than effectiveness.

You just made me realize that unless she lived her whole live on takeaways and restaurants, Yor had to be able to eat, survive and tolerate her own cooking.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I just remembered that we were explicitly shown that she cooked for herself and Yuri when they were kids. Ooof.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeees we are finally getting focus on Yor. I'm all here for it.

Also RIP Frankie. At least you saved helped to save a cat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
While it's fun to theorize about it, I think it's far too early to go for Loid vs. Yor showdown. We still don't know basically anything about who is employing Yor, or how, or why, so I assume this will be about the organization (Garden?), the various characters in it and their relationship with Yor. We were already teased about like 3 of her colleagues in this chapter, I assume that at least one of them will be introduced soon.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

a kitten posted:

It's always different than what i expect might happen, and it's always better

Yeah, this. A slow start, perhaps, but I'm really liking the focus they are giving to Olka and her son who might, or might not be an esper. Also of course Yor is bad at the bodyguarding, her whole thing is being a murder savant.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's interesting that after dozens of chapters of relatively light-hearted cartoony violence we are suddenly getting what looks like a bunch of coldblooded murders.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Guys, I think Yor might be actually pretty good at the whole Assasin thing. :stare:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I really like how it still showcases Twilight's competence. Loid wanted to become the ultimate dad, succeeded slendidly, and Anya had the exact reaction any kid sharing family with the ultimate dad would have to him. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Anya is simply too overpowered.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
gently caress yeah! :woop:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Would not mind seeing those two goons again. They were solid antagonists with unique skill-sets.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Omobono posted:

Didn't Lloyd know his wife is incredibly strong while finding nothing strange in that fact? Why is he suddenly shocked? I'm fairly sure he too is strong enough to pull that stunt.

I think he could hand-wave most feats he saw Yor do until now as skills granted by the combination of "esoteric yoga excercises" and "special-forces-grade combat training every civilian has clearly acces to". Meanwhile the thing in this chapter is just pure, superhuman strength.

Also, Yor > World Class Chefs. :hmmyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Despite being mostly comedy, Spy x Family handled the occasional serious bit about war really well too, so.... uh, I am both curious and concerned about this flashback. :staredog:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
"I've lost everything I cared about. The only things that were left in my world were the things I despised. And that was reason enough to pick up a gun." drat it Loid... :smith:

On the other hand, Scruffy and Loid knowing each other for decades, was simultaneously the most and the least surprising reveal in this chapter. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm surprised Bond didn't use his future sight to see him bombing or why you should never trust Franky's love advice.

Speaking of I just realized he's going to be showing up pretty soon in the anime. Got the conclusion to Yuri's visit next week, then dodgeball, then the first stella star, and then the start of the Bond arc. Got some good stuff coming in the following weeks. :shittydog:

There are also the two bonus chapters (the aquarium visit and Yor getting shot in the butt) and the anime skipping them would be a crime. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 29, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One of the main reasons Loid should kiss his wife is that the alternative is Yor kissing her husband, and I'm not sure Loid would be able to survive that.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arist posted:

Handler rules

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC, there was interview with Endo where he said that he was in some serious creative slump and that Spy x Family basically reinvigorated his love for writing, so I don't think he will abandon it anytime soon. Another reason would be the fact that it's one of the most popular shonen manga currently and basically prints money. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, so they are starting the dog arc AND doing the bonus chapter with 2 episodes left until the end of season 1? That's....interesting. (I will laugh my rear end off if they end the season with the clocktower cliffhanger.)

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 18, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh right, the first cour is only 12 episode and second is 13, I thought it was the other way around for some reason. Then yeah, Bond is just a teaser for second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm curious to see how Melinda gets along with her husband. Is she on his wavelength or does she have to play it by ear?

I have really hard time seeing Donovan Desmod opening up to anyone, including his wife. I assume he is courteous and observant, but otherwise an enigma to her.

Also I echo the overall sentiment, this is a really good way for Yor to get entwined into the main narrative.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 24, 2022