Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Nice touch on a narrative level?

The assassins that Yor can't kill due to circumstances are being established as Professionals. They hit the target, and nobody else. Still bad people, but with enough sympathetic qualities that you don't need them to die.

Meanwhile, the guys getting iced are shown to want to violate those rules, so it's totally okay to murder them.

The guys who got offed earlier were just aiming for the target, but got stupid and jumped the gun. The one guy who got double shanked was due to psychopathic lack of professionalism.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yor is committing horrific acts of violence, and I, for one, could not be happier.

I love how she's also being dead serious about it showing she's not "dumb muscle" in terms of her job and getting it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Did... Did Anya just do a smart?

Why yes...yes she did.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Loid didn't deserve any of that :smith:

I'm pretty sure his whole outfit ensemble constituted as a war crime against fashion and good taste.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 27, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Carpator Diei posted:

My favourite part is that Anya doesn't lift a finger to actually help Yor in the fight. She doesn't doubt for a second that her mama will wipe the floor with that guy.

Mama Yor wants to look cool and make Anya proud.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
This is gonna look super loving badass when it's animated.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TwoPair posted:

Kinda sorta? That's what it ends on but the point is at the end when the rookie asks what the truth is and Handler basically tells him "don't believe everything you see on TV/read in the news, especially when you know for a fact the news is just state-run propaganda tabloids. You're a smart guy [that works for a spy network], fuckin' figure it out yourself."

Same. It got brought up on Reddit or Tropes that it's actually a good story about how simple rumors and stories can get blown up by mixing a little truth into it(mob affair was true, but everything else was likely exaggerated BS, but my mixing the two the public can't tell truth from fiction). This as well as the Rokkies ineptitude were likely intentionally to drive the message home HARD.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Knew it and saw it coming a mile away. Still gasped. It's been a bit of a headcanon that the Desmond family is...normal for given measure.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

VibrantPareidolia posted:

A lot going on with the Desmond family that's for sure.

Melinda's wording is pretty interesting, "You absolutely cannot let that man know that I came here."

Does she not want Donovan to know she came to pick Damian up? From this highly dangerous terrorist attack where all the kids nearly died?
Both her and her husband brushed off the incident where Anya punched Damian alarmingly quick when asked about it by Loid and Yor, so is it... bad? for Donovan to know she cares about her son for some reason?

She's been previously stated to be estranged from her family yet she came here of her own volition when told about it so she definitely loves Damian in some aspect, it's just when he mentions his dad that something basically triggers in her. Maybe she's trapped in this marriage and can't leave without abandoning her children or looking really bad in the process? (If unmarried women are sus then what about divorced ones? How much valuable info would she hold as a former first lady?) Hence the resentment because if she wasn't the mother of Donovan Desmond's sons, she'd be free from her husband or anything that comes with being a public political figure.

I have some theories about this. The reason I think they brushed off the punch is that, it REALLY wasn't a big deal. It's literally two preschool to elementary school kids getting into a fight, but because of their status everyone immediately kowtows to them in supplication about the events when it's a minor issue easily resolved(especially since it was Damian who instigated). One way I've seen it interpreted is that Melinda loves her son, but HATES Donovan which seems to track here since she was being very sickeningly sweet and affectionate until he was brought up. I think it's equal parts politically arranged marriage and feeling trapped with no way out due to suspicion from divorce and possible resentment from her kids(she seemed REALLY tripped up when Damian mentioned not wanting to upset him with his crying).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

I personally am interested in

Daimen's mother. She seems really messed up but also loving, we need more INFO!

[quote="Some Numbers" post="530278709"]
interesting tidbit that his mother has her own residence, which lends credence to the theory that the marriage was arranged/political and she just hates Donovan

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, cooking the food is a really explicit indicator I think, that on some level she genuinely loves him enough to be making food personally for him whether he knows she did it or not.

Damian's mom definetly loves him, but seems to have some REALLY aggressive intrusive thoughts about him based on his relationship with his dad. That and the spare residence definetly point to something going on between them. I also wonder if she has some kind of mental health issue which given the time period would have been heavily scrutinized.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ZiegeDame posted:

I went back and checked the previous chapter in light of these new details, and the way she's thinks of Damian as a burden and wishes he'd died has lead me to two thoughts:
1. We know Damian has an older brother, right? Do we know that they have the same mother, or is it possible that she's Donovan's second wife?
2. Given the way she directs her hatred at Damian specifically I can't help but wonder his conception was non-consensual. Not that I expect the Jump editors to let any details on that matter make it to print.

I'm not so sure about that since the hate only begins when Damian mentions his dad and the hate is intertwined with a lot of love and affections(hence my theory of some kind of mental health issue). I do wonder about Damian's older brother and have had that similar theory about her being Donovan's second wife.

TwoPair posted:

I tend to agree but I also wonder if they might be actually divorced but since Donovan's a political figure they can't have the news get out there so they let her have her own place to keep her quiet.

I've thought about that as well and would fit the time period as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nerdietalk posted:

Honestly one of the most interesting angles of The Garden to me is where it falls between "government-backed office" and "independent outfit." The Garden is explicitly opposed to the war efforts of the National Unity Party, but its also attacking revolutionary groups trying to expose just how bad the Ostanian government is. Its a really fascinating line it tries to sit on, and honestly paints it as almost more irresponsible than if it was a purely conservative or liberal faction.

I view them as a "middle of the road independent group who wants peace". Basically, anyone who threatens to start something of any kind whether for good or bad is on their hit list.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

It's nice that Ando didn't go to the cliche of having Demetrius be a bully to Damian. In a different manga, his character would look down on Damian for only getting a single Stella. There's still something off about the guy, but not in a way that's actively unpleasant for Damian.

I 100% expected him to NOT be a bully or look down on him and either legitimately love him, but either be VERY awkward about it in a way that a 5-6 year old would not quite grasp or be VERY weird and strange.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Flair posted:

Given Anya's mind reading ability, Demetrius being overtly stolid rather than being mean makes for an interesting dynamic. His demeanor simply reflects his mind.

That would be interesting as hell. Instead of some weird brain tampering, they're just weird stoic people with issues. Would fit with the stigma about mental health and would actually give Twilight an easy in.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Arianya posted:

And Bond, who is perfect.

It's a little unfair since Bond is a dog thus he is inherently perfect by default.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Arbite posted:

Well great, now I want a spinoff.

I will take 100 chapters please. For real though, that would be just amazing and would flesh out the history greatly.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

habituallyred posted:

Its Biplanes in the last panel, 90% chance its WW1

Just saw that. Funny thing is that I can roughly pinpoint the year since one of the previous pages has what looks to be a Liberty Truck and those didn't step off assembly lines til 1918. So based on that and what was mentioned about his age before, the year is roughly 1964.

Edit: I was off by a year. The Liberty Truck started being used in late 1917 so the approximate is 1963 to 1964 for current era assuming no other major changes.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Supersonic Shine posted:

New chapter: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020559

The accursed romantic confession interrupted by a loud disturbance rears its ugly head, though the worst seems yet to come.

The fact that it's likely an air raid alarm bell just makes it all the worse.