Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Sidenote: Viz announced they'd be releasing the physical volumes starting Summer 2020.

Also, the main story's on pause for another extra chapter come Oct 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Kibibit posted:

I find it adorable that she keeps her mini hats/horn thingies even for gym class.

What are they anyway?

We don't know for certain. There're theories, like Lizard's and gnome's, but nothing official.

We do know there was a time when she didn't have them, when she had a pair of hair buns there instead, but what happened to get from one to the other... no idea.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
SXF is one of the eight nominees for the 24th Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
So, two things:

One, the next chapter's been bumped two weeks to September 6th.

Two, per the Weekly Shonen Jump twitter, there's a "Top Secret Project" in progress that's due to be announced August 25th:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1295996510732259328

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Henderson's introduced as housemaster, and a lot of people read that as headmaster, probably 'cause it's more familiar/expected (and also because he was overseeing the new applicants).

But as Alacron says, if he were headmaster, he'd have taken less of a hit for punching Murdoch in chapter 5.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Mission 44 is out... and it turns out that this time Yor's on bodyguard duty.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Leraika posted:

Yor's boss has a splendidly creepy design.

I had to check to make sure his face wasn't a mask, but he does change expressions.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Supersonic Shine posted:

Down to see Yor kill some people, though I forget if we've ever seen someone get murked on-panel. I know we see Yor cleaning up after a routine assignment, at least.

We've seen her fantasies of killing, but we've not seen her actually do it in RL - we get the events around it, but not the killing itself.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Omobono posted:

Also no way Twilight doesn't have a direct body count of his own, even if it should be lower than Thorn Princess's.

He's been involved in at least one shoot-out, and it's at least strongly implied in the first Extra chapter, with him walking away from an explosion site with a hella lot of dead goons behind him.

Edit:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think she is going to kill anyone around anya. anya hearing someone's thoughts as they die would be far, far too dark for this story.

Anya did see someone die back in Mission 1, it's just Endo's never gone there with it, having her read their minds as they die.

narm00 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 19, 2021

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Two little bits of news:

1) The manga now has 10 million copies in circulation - which is a hit for any series, but especially one only 6 volumes in with no anime.

2) Japan's getting an SXF novel written by Aya Yajima, with illustrations by Endo, which'll have four original stories.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

dogsicle posted:

you can now watch Anya... "study" to 30 minutes of chill beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ39YQE-CdQ

There's now a second one guest-starring Bond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Kb0_z7qFU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Yeah. I mean really, this arc is doing the character and plot work to get Yor in a position where what she does can integrate into the main plot from now on, because that was kind of lacking till now, and the actual hooks for that can come later.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Mission 54, in which Anya helps Yor... just not the way she wanted to.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Mission 56: The family relaxes on an island.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

There’s a darker side to it though. Anja is aware her family is together because of the mission and that both mom and dad need eachother to pretend to be a real family.
She’s incredibly scared that something will cause the family to break up causing her to go back to a fosterhome. :(

Loid's mused that WISE will watch over Yor and Anya after the mission's finished and he's left, so the worst-case scenario probably wouldn't happen... but Anya doesn't know that, and even if she did, she'd probably still be terrified of him leaving because she's been desperate for a stable family.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Mission 57, in which the aesop never stood a chance.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Chapter 62 part 1: Another time, another place, another war.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

We got some narration early on that the Iron Wall falls 10 years from then and I could see that tying into the manga's resolution.

Translation differences there; the original translation was that the Iron Curtain falls in 10 years, while the current translation is that it went up 10 years ago.

...and if it's the latter, then that's interesting, 'cause Twilight's been a spy for about 10 years.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Eight stars, eight bolts.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

We've never seen her without them and in early chapters they got sparkles around them when she would read minds so they might have something to do with that.

Or they could just be a cute thing for character design.

We get a shot of her without them in Mission 36, although there her replacement hairstyle is so big it might well be covering them.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

a dog, who can tell the future, which... not really sure how you get the info, honestly? obvious anya can do it, are these supposed to work in synergy? why not give the prophetic powers to a human, why did they choose a dog?

We're told only that the project was trying to produce highly intelligent animals for military purposes. It might well be that Bond's precognition was something the scientists didn't intend (like Anya's telepathy), and didn't know about.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Omobono posted:

It's part this, part Yor must be able to control her strength somewhat when dealing with (people she thinks are) normal humans.

Source: Yuri survived childhood and he isn't physically superhuman. Well, maybe his stomach's lining.
So either Yor never accidentally hit him, and I think with how ditzy she is when relaxed an anime incident or two over a decade is very probable, or she can tone it down.

According to a bonus comic in Volume 5, Yuri pretty much is physically superhuman: thanks to a combination of Yor's food and embarrassed slaps during childhood, he's become tough enough that he can pull four all-nighters in a row, then get hit by a truck, and the only injury he has to show for it is a bandaid on his face.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
It's broadly a 60s-70s mishmash, with stuff from other eras thrown in if Endo can't find whether or not it was around in the period.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, so they are starting the dog arc AND doing the bonus chapter with 2 episodes left until the end of season 1? That's....interesting. (I will laugh my rear end off if they end the season with the clocktower cliffhanger.)

One episode left, afaik, so they're just doing the bonus chapter next and leaving the dog arc to next cour.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

I can't believe that Yor just got her husband future killed by the Garden

Depends whether the Shopkeeper was reacting to Loid or Donovan there. I could see it either way.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Chapter 67.1, in which Loid finds himself having to deal with workplace harassment.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wasn't a good amount of early Spy x Family translated by a goon? Clarste or something?

Yeah, Clarste did the first 12 chapters + the first extra chapter for Manga Plus, then Viz nabbed the license and redid the translation from the start.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

kirtar posted:

I'm sure Yuri won't get involved with this at all no sir.

Catch is Yuri doesn't want Yor finding out he's SSS, and turning up to arrest and interrogate Loid is a good way for that to happen. He'll find some way to get involved, yeah, but he's got to do it on the down-low.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Today's Short Mission: Loid makes a cartoon episode for the mission.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

Anya's backstory is incredibly vague outside of 2 things we know.

1) She got returned to that lovely orphanage multiple times
2) At some point before that she was part of an experiment for 'world peace' that gave her mond control powers and the scientists forced her to study

I don't think we have any details beyond that, presumably so it could be filled in later as the story developed.

A couple of other things we know:
1) She'd been in two other orphanges besides the one Twilight found her in.
2) Her telepathic powers were an accident, and she escaped.the scientists' facility - so yeah, she is an escapee.

We've been told nothing of what happened to the experiment after her escape.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i might be misremembering, because it's been a while since i read the beginning of the series, but doesn't she flashback to a researcher telling her not to reveal her powers? that always suggested to me that if she did escape it wasn't entirely on her own since that isn't something someone who was expecting her to remain in a lab would say

Could also mean they intended her to be a secret operative for them. They probably weren't expecting her to stay in the lab, but to use her powers for their own ends.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Or if it was the same program group as bond, they got shut down, Anya might literally have been shipped off to an orphanage in that case.

We're told she escaped, not 'they got shut down and she got shipped off'. They might have got shut down after she escaped, but it's not how she ended up on the run.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

tsob posted:

Just looking at the next two chapters after what the anime covered this week, it appears like next week's episode will have Nightfall's proper introduction (she's already appeared in the background of a few scenes if I recall), and the first episode of the tennis arc. I cannot loving wait. There's some choice Anya reaction faces, and fun panels just in those two issues alone.

Mm. I wonder about the tennis arc, 'cause the anime's title for the second segment next week is "First Fit of Jealousy", which is... not any sort of description of what happens in the tennis arc, at least not till the epilogue. I have a sneaking hunch we're going to get an anime original for the second part, and it may give Nightfall some more focus.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
It looked like they'd skipped over the aquarium chapter in the first cour, but it turned out they'd left it until the final episode. Given Yor getting shot in the rear end is the other big extra chapter, I wouldn't be surprised if it's being left till the end of this cour.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

tsob posted:

The two segments of the episode are "Nightfall" and "First Fit of Jealousy", with "Nightfall" presumably being the manga issue where Nightfall comes to the Forger house to meet Yor and Anya, and the second, "First Fit of Jealousy" probably being the opening act of the tennis arc. Which is prompted by Nightfall being jealous of Yor, and wanting to make herself Loid's wife, so is based on and the first part of a fit of jealousy.

Looking at the preview pics on the website... the second segment's not the first part of the tennis arc, it's the short where Bond gets jealous of Agent Penguinman. :doh:

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

tsob posted:

The one where Bond chews and rips up Agent Penguinman? Didn't that already get animated? :confused:

Or have I just mixed up animation and manga chapters so much at this point that I'm Mandela effecting myself over it?

Nope, it's not been done before. (Wouldn't blame you for getting Mandela effected, tho.)

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Is it the last ep of the season? Good place to end it if so, though I hope they interweave the two stories rather than treating them like separate, standalone sub-episodes like they've done with the others.

Second-to-last episode, and given they're doing the 'two titles' thing again, they're having them separate.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Henderson and Martha have history together, because I don't think we've seen Henderson on a first-name basis with anyone before this, let alone talking with them as casually as he does Martha.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Also, wherever it goes, it's best for it not to be too close to chapter 35, the post-tennis arc date, 'cause two dates in close proximity is a bit too quick for a slow-burn series like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Shopkeeper is... not exactly a friend of the Desmonds, it seems. He comments that Melinda is a conservative and he wouldn't exactly recommend Yor making friends with her in case anything were to happen, recommends that at the very least she be careful in case her husband starts thinking she has one-sided political beliefs, and gets suspicious when he hears Loid appears to be taking an interest in the National Unity Party.