Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zwille posted:

Comics Cassidy‘s „happy ending“ was pretty much the darkest bit of the comics. Gave me the creeps for real. They’re kinda downplaying the addiction stuff a bit so I’m curious how it pans out in the series. I‘ll be watching it with the comics in mind so it’s gonna be a weird episode for me if they make it a legit happy ending

Well they can't do the whole reveal that he is no longer a vampire because his eyes don't look hosed and he can take his trademark shades off, since that hasn't been a show thing. I'm not sure what you thought was dark about it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oops, no - I must’ve misunderstood that people thought Cass and Tulip together would be his „happy ending“ when that was actually a pretty dark part of the general story. I mean the motel scenes where he’s keeping her drugged up and poo poo.

Though, didn’t he die a vampire, burning up and everything? I remember the red -> black eyes bit but I’m also certain he didn’t turn human

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zwille posted:

Oops, no - I must’ve misunderstood that people thought Cass and Tulip together would be his „happy ending“ when that was actually a pretty dark part of the general story. I mean the motel scenes where he’s keeping her drugged up and poo poo.

Though, didn’t he die a vampire, burning up and everything? I remember the red -> black eyes bit but I’m also certain he didn’t turn human

He died a vampire, burning himself up in the sun. But he a previously made a deal with God, that if Cassidy lured out Jesse, so God could go back to Heaven, then no matter what happened as a result, both he and Jesse would live. God kept his word, but when he brought Cassidy back, he had made him human again (and presumably, cured him of his drug and alcohol addictions.)

I think the "dark happy ending" might be a reference to that. That despite all the poo poo Cassidy had perpetuated over the years, he gets a whole new lease on life in spite of it

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

ah yeah, thanks! I completely forgot about that. Hm, I don’t think the show will go that route, they’re not quite there. The comics were much more serious compared to the show. But we will see.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't Masada in the books in southern france or something weird

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't Masada in the books in southern france or something weird

Yeah, France.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUATkpMQ8A

Here is a teaser showing what Humperdoo has been doing since last season.

i had no idea the all american rejects singer was humperdoo/jesus. fine enough choice

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

i had no idea the all american rejects singer was humperdoo/jesus. fine enough choice

He also plays a quirky con man in Lodge 49. I guess he got tired of being a rock star and decided to become a character actor instead.

If you like weird stuff with pacing issues, definitely check out Lodge 49.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SimonChris posted:

If you like weird stuff with pacing issues
Between Legion (thank GOD it's over,) Preacher, ST:Discovery, and Mr. Robot... I'm good on weird stuff with pacing issues, thanks.

And yeah, I meant it seemed like Cassidy would get a happy ending in the show because he's figuring out some of the problems he has ala the flashback where his torture buddy is telling him he's seen his type before. He still has to get caught and put in the foreskin factory at some point (unless that foreshadowing was... false?) so... I dunno, maybe he just provides foreskin forever!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 25, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I like Cass' ending in the comics. His whole character arc is one of hating who he is and wanting desperately to be someone else, because his very nature causes him to do horrible things to people, and... his happy ending is that nature loving off and dying. He gets a new lease on life, and one where he can actually break good instead of just trying and failing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PreacherAMC/status/1165791026247852032

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So I take it that angel and demon couple were Genesis's parents?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

So I take it that angel and demon couple were Genesis's parents?

I think so.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This season is such a wild mess, I have no idea what is happening anymore. At least it's still entertaining enough.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I've never known what to expect with this show, but now I don't really know what's happening even as it occurs live in front of my eyes.

But it's all still a blast.

I don't know why God loves Humperdoo if he hated his poo poo-eating dinosaur.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't know why God loves Humperdoo if he hated his poo poo-eating dinosaur.
I think the joke here is that God is sick of humans and their free will and would rather go back to the stupidest form of his own image, a version of his son without free will but with good tap dancing skills.

Yeah this episode felt like a huge waste of time despite the little fun spots. However, I went into it with the wrong fame of reference; I thought this was episode 6 of 8, but it's episode 5 of 10. Still, though, the fact we have the main characters leaving a place then returning to a place... twice, practically makes a joke against itself for how often the show has been so stupidly paced.

Still plenty to love in the episode, though, and I'd still rather the show weren't on its final season. Enjoying every minute I can while ignoring the pacing as hard as possible.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 26, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jesus robbing a bank turning out to be a fantasy sequence is some real bullshit.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

A lot of bullshit this season :( I kept thinking back to the first seasons and how incredibly well done the angel fight there was, hell, the whole angels thing was great. Now it all feels so tacked on.

Here’s hoping the next few episodes pick things up a bit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I don't think God has actually seen Humperdoo, and has no idea what he's like.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they have Eugene end up as the new "God"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if they have Eugene end up as the new "God"
Considering how absolutely reversed his plotline in the show has been from what it was in the books, yes, this seems appropriate.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I read the comic like ages ago and i honestly have no idea whats going on in the show or how its lining up and i am pretty confused by where episode 6 has left off.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Jerkface posted:

I read the comic like ages ago and i honestly have no idea whats going on in the show or how its lining up and i am pretty confused by where episode 6 has left off.
The show is 100% off script right now. The first scenes of this season suggest it will get back on script but we aren't there yet.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Getting back on script is gonna be a wild ride. Sometimes I feel like Tulip doesn’t even give a gently caress about Jesse anymore when in the comics they were the only lovers left alive™

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah purists probably hate it but I rather like that I don't know what the gently caress is going to happen in the show while the fun/entertaining story beats still get hit. Honestly it's how I want most adaptations to happen. As long as you show the cool poo poo, do whatever you want to the rest of the plot.

gently caress, even the comic had pacing issues in a couple spots.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah the comic wasn’t perfect by any means and very much a product of its time. I like the series for making the characters/scenes fun and that’s about it. Maybe someone will do a super cut and turn the series into a nice miniseries. I mean, the basic material is all there.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Sure, just copy and paste an american diner into the australian outback. Works just fine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Robodog posted:

Sure, just copy and paste an american diner into the australian outback. Works just fine.

Somehow I don't think authenticity has been very far up on the priority list with this portrayal of Australia.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Abraham and his family all having thick italian Brooklyn accents was just so funny to me.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember between casually sacking a village that knew too much in his first appearance and immediately taking power as top dog in the Grail after his audition for membership, Herr Starr came off as a real badass. But poo poo, everything after that has been one massive humiliation, whether it's dealing with Jesse and his crew or his own incompetent underlings, and now even being one of God's faithful direct subordinates ended up loving him over with way worse a fate than the literal Devil and Hitler ever got.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonz posted:

Abraham and his family all having thick Italian Brooklyn accents was just so funny to me.

I loved that, also the random Australian backpacker going,"Nah, you're not from New Zealand! :)" when the Grail guys were trying their Kiwi accents on him.

I am sad that it looks like the War in the Sun adaptation I've being dreaming of since the series got announced looks like it isn't going to happen (or rather, that it has happened now in a completely different way).

Edit: spoiler tags just to be on the safe side

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 3, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Shhh, there’s still hope!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Dear god, Cass wasn't lyin when he said baby's foreskins were being used in creams and lotions. He knows what's up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

Dear god, Cass wasn't lyin when he said baby's foreskins were being used in creams and lotions. He knows what's up.

What do you think they were doing with Cass' foreskins when they were torturing him?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

After this episode I asked my friend "but wait, how does Cassidy still end up at the foreskin factory after all this?" and he said "Uhhh didn't you notice the cars in that scene were all really old?" and then it dawned on me that when they showed him in the foreskin factory, it was a flashback. Which then explains a few other random lines and how they were read. I feel like an utter idiot.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I just discovered this show had come back last night and binged all six episodes. I was kinda hoping to read the thread as I went but I saw spoilers so held off until I was done. You guys are right about the pacing, Cass spent at least 4x longer in the prison than anyone needed to see but it's just so drat entertaining as a whole that it barely detracts from my enjoyment. It's more like I wish it moved better so I'd have more but I really enjoy what we get, although it's so obvious how limited the budget is when they can only afford to actually film one entire fight in the entire season and everything else is shown in character reactions and so on.

I saw someone say this is either 6 of 8 or 5 of 10 episodes for this season but it seemed to wrap up pretty definitively in the 6 I saw available on Amazon Prime. Is it a half season like what they did with Vikings last year?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I saw someone say this is either 6 of 8 or 5 of 10 episodes for this season but it seemed to wrap up pretty definitively in the 6 I saw available on Amazon Prime. Is it a half season like what they did with Vikings last year?
Probably my fault; I thought there were 8 total and that the 5th episode was the 6th, you may have read that in the few minutes between when I posted and then edited it. We're currently 6 episodes into a 10 episode season, so there are 4 left. Plenty of room for more cool poo poo to happen.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

DaveKap posted:

Probably my fault; I thought there were 8 total and that the 5th episode was the 6th, you may have read that in the few minutes between when I posted and then edited it. We're currently 6 episodes into a 10 episode season, so there are 4 left. Plenty of room for more cool poo poo to happen.

Ah cool. It did seem to be a good bookend though, since episode one opens with Jesse falling to earth and 6 showing how it led to that. I'm stoked for more Preacher though!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That would’ve been one hell of a way to end the series. „Oops Jesse is dead lol guess he found God“

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The end! God wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't gently caress with this god.