Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Lmao yes I actually thought they were hedging their bets and maybe that was how the comic ended? After what happened to Captain Steve I literally put nothing past this show and I haven't read the comics but from how people talk about it that would seem to fit too. Essentially I figured it was either not going to be renewed so they gave it a possible hard ending but in case it did you could just handwave it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The falling-out-of-a-plane-while-a-nuke-goes-off part of the comic itself was like halfway through. The Quincannon plotline from Season 1 actually happens afterward. The plotline behind the nuke is something completely different and, imho, more interesting. Go read the comic!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh and I also thought that Starr must have been killed by the nuke so it really did feel like they gave it a possible ending in case it didn't get renewed. Sounds like I should read the comics though I've heard awful things about anything Garth Ennis has been involved with unless I'm confusing him for someone else and he wasn't the guy behind Wanted?

Anyways I'm excited to see the final two eps. It airs Sundays on AMC, right? I hope that means it's on Amazon streaming for Monday.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jojoinnit posted:

Oh and I also thought that Starr must have been killed by the nuke so it really did feel like they gave it a possible ending in case it didn't get renewed. Sounds like I should read the comics though I've heard awful things about anything Garth Ennis has been involved with unless I'm confusing him for someone else and he wasn't the guy behind Wanted?

Anyways I'm excited to see the final two eps. It airs Sundays on AMC, right? I hope that means it's on Amazon streaming for Monday.

Mark Millar (Kick-rear end, Kingsmen) wrote Wanted. Some folks don't like the extremes Garth goes to sometimes, because he does revel in the absurdity of it, but Preacher is a wonderful read.

Also, including tomorrow's ep, there's still four eps left.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Sounds like I should read the comics though I've heard awful things about anything Garth Ennis has been involved with

Preacher is great, also his run on Hellblazer is my absolute favorite Hellblazer.

On the other hand I'm reading The Boys because I loved the first season of the show and it is way way worse than either the show or Preacher/Hellblazer.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Six eps into S4.

It's a mess. A giant lovely mess of references, out of sequence storytelling that doesn't seem to be working for me, and weird contrived situations to align itself closer to the source material. Though I probably haven't re-read Preacher in 5-10 years at least I remember enough.

Can't say I thought the first 2-3 episodes were going anywhere, but now it's starting to look like it's tumbling toward a goal. Doubt it'll make a lot of sense with 3 hours to gloss over whatever they decide to adapt, but it'll probably be fun to ride out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I think the scene was a little confusing as the set up made it look like the nuke was right next to the landmark and so right next to God and Starr but in the wide shot they showed the mushroom cloud off in the distance.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

After last week's episode I told my friend "now it's kinda lined up with what happens in the comic" and then immediately after the first scene of the new episode I was like "... I spoke too soon, this is way off comic again."

I really like where they're taking all the plots, as none of it lines up with the comic now (and is certainly more interesting imho,) except for where Herr Starr is going, which is towards a sub-plot I assumed they would skip. However, because they aren't skipping that sub-plot, we'll likely end up getting one of Starr's best scenes from the comic... so that's real exciting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God cheesing it out the skylight the moment the angel turned his back absolutely killed me, he's such a piece of poo poo :allears:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Is there any reason that the Saint of Killers didn't have a soul but Hitler still does, despite staying in Hell too and now taking the devil's position? With odds like that, Jesse should be raring to go at the chance to take that throne. The ultimate power in the universe not working on just one guy is still pretty powerful, especially when that one guy is barred from Heaven and no one in their right mind would ever work with him given his temperament.

Starr's only chance for any kind of salvation is to just straight up become a vampire now, although I'm not sure growing a dick and ear back is possible after having lost them as a human beforehand. And I'm wondering what the Grail woman's endgame is given Starr was willing to execute her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah that reminds me, I have to say that Hoover 2's out-of-nowhere origin/background was loving great. The fact The Grail was gonna be brought down by some random cop from Pensacola was beautiful.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm not sure if it's an intentional gag, but when Start introduced Hoover 2, when he had that line of "This is the new Hoover. I call him..." I swore he was going to say Twoover. And the fact he went for the dumbest possible name over that I really enjoy.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Shitenshi posted:

Is there any reason that the Saint of Killers didn't have a soul but Hitler still does, despite staying in Hell too and now taking the devil's position? With odds like that, Jesse should be raring to go at the chance to take that throne. The ultimate power in the universe not working on just one guy is still pretty powerful, especially when that one guy is barred from Heaven and no one in their right mind would ever work with him given his temperament.

Starr's only chance for any kind of salvation is to just straight up become a vampire now, although I'm not sure growing a dick and ear back is possible after having lost them as a human beforehand. And I'm wondering what the Grail woman's endgame is given Starr was willing to execute her.

I think the Saint of Killers was such a piece of poo poo in life the only soul he really had was his Wife and Daughter, and when they died he lost it all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

JossiRossi posted:

I'm not sure if it's an intentional gag, but when Start introduced Hoover 2, when he had that line of "This is the new Hoover. I call him..." I swore he was going to say Twoover. And the fact he went for the dumbest possible name over that I really enjoy.

Funny, I thought the same thing. I wish they'd kept Starr more bone dry though, it was way more hilarious in the comics, but TV Starr is good too. Actually come to think of it that goes for all the characters. I miss a lot from the comics interpretations but the TV stuff is OK too. I hope they do a reboot and/or spin-offs sometime.

Did they do the inverted commas thing, by the way? I'm not sure anymore.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zwille posted:

I hope they do a reboot and/or spin-offs sometime.
I think it's enough of a miracle this series got as far as it did. It'd be a triple miracle of this story ever saw the light of television again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DaveKap posted:

I think it's enough of a miracle this series got as far as it did. It'd be a triple miracle of this story ever saw the light of television again.

I feel like it's probably the other way around. Getting adapted once gives it some inertia. Give it ten years when they're looking for something with name recognition that they've already got the rights to and they see that this was received well enough to get a few seasons. All it takes then is one person in the right spot to go "Oh yeah, those comics are really great. We should do it right this time!"

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I know it's unlikely, I'm just hoping. You're right it's a miracle they kept so much from the original and still gave it enough of their own spin so dated references didn't have to be "translated" (like the whole Nirvana thing). The comic was very much a product of its time so maybe they'll do it as a 90s revival thing? I guess I'll just buy the comic again and re-read it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm super late to the party and basically started watching The Preacher a few weeks ago. I thought the first season was pretty drat good, the second was OK and the third... I'm basically at the point where I'm actively rooting against Jesse and have a hard time seeing him as any kind of protagonist.

I don't think this is one of those "we intentionally wrote an anti-hero like in Breaking Bad" type of deals. I get the feeling that I'm supposed to think Jesse is a complex and cool guy, but he's just a loving smug rear end in a top hat.

I'm not sure I want to even keep watching the third season, so does it get any better?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Jesse is a terrible person but a fun character. The good guy all around is Cass. You're not supposed to root for Jesse because almost everything he does is wrong even when he actually has good intentions.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

jojoinnit posted:

Jesse is a terrible person but a fun character. The good guy all around is Cass. You're not supposed to root for Jesse because almost everything he does is wrong even when he actually has good intentions.

Ya, he basically has no understanding of how you're supposed to be a good person cause all his heroes are John Wayne and his dad (who is basically John Wayne) so all his answer to everything is being a loner tough guy and using violence.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I recently learn that Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga were in the Warcraft movie. I haven't seen it because I know it'll never match the movie in my head that has Jesse and Tulip doing terrible things to elves and orcs.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Necrotizer F posted:

I recently learn that Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga were in the Warcraft movie. I haven't seen it because I know it'll never match the movie in my head that has Jesse and Tulip doing terrible things to elves and orcs.

The fact that a movie with them and Ragnar from Vikings was apparently mediocre at best is sad. I'll never see it either since I also enjoyed Vikings and I don't want it ruined.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jojoinnit posted:

The fact that a movie with them and Ragnar from Vikings was apparently mediocre at best is sad. I'll never see it either since I also enjoyed Vikings and I don't want it ruined.

It's sort of like CSI: Miami. I was so pumped for that show when it was first coming out. It had a great cast (David Caruso from NYPD Blue, Emily Procter from The West Wing, Khandi Alexander from NewsRadio and even Rory Cochrane from Empire Records and Dazed and Confused. Plus it was set in Miami, setting of books from Carl Hiassen, Edna Buchanan and Tim Dorsey. So I was pumped for a CSI series investigating death by dolphin rape and murder by space shuttle. And... instead I got CSI: Mi-hammy which just shat the bed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Necrotizer F posted:

It's sort of like CSI: Miami. I was so pumped for that show when it was first coming out. It had a great cast (David Caruso from NYPD Blue, Emily Procter from The West Wing, Khandi Alexander from NewsRadio and even Rory Cochrane from Empire Records and Dazed and Confused. Plus it was set in Miami, setting of books from Carl Hiassen, Edna Buchanan and Tim Dorsey. So I was pumped for a CSI series investigating death by dolphin rape and murder by space shuttle. And... instead I got CSI: Mi-hammy which just shat the bed.

Honestly I feel like Dexter was the best version of CSI: Miami.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

I'm super late to the party and basically started watching The Preacher a few weeks ago. I thought the first season was pretty drat good, the second was OK and the third... I'm basically at the point where I'm actively rooting against Jesse and have a hard time seeing him as any kind of protagonist.

I don't think this is one of those "we intentionally wrote an anti-hero like in Breaking Bad" type of deals. I get the feeling that I'm supposed to think Jesse is a complex and cool guy, but he's just a loving smug rear end in a top hat.

I'm not sure I want to even keep watching the third season, so does it get any better?

I had a hard time sticking with this show because I found Jesse and Tulip so unlikeable, but you learn to cope. At some point you kind of let go and appreciate just how nuts everything is.

Necrotizer F posted:

It's worth watching at least once. It's absolutely loving terrible in a slightly awe-inspiring way.

The dude playing Humperdoo and Jesus is something else. I haven't been very invested in where they take the story, but I'm very curious how this series ends things. I hope it's very different from the comic's ending.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ElBrak posted:

Ya, he basically has no understanding of how you're supposed to be a good person cause all his heroes are John Wayne and his dad (who is basically John Wayne) so all his answer to everything is being a loner tough guy and using violence.

Yet that is also true in the comic and I loved him instead of hating him like I do in the show

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Imagine if this show understood what pacing was meant to look like? god drat it'd be good

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I call it AMC syndrome.

Just like HBO and WB, AMC has a formula.

It consists of the best scenes happening off-camera, stalling because you used up your best parts, and we want to get up to the HBO line while still being one rating more family friendly.

I would argue that hell on wheels and into the badlands had the least of it, but it's one of the reason I had to stop watching walking dead after season 03 (hey look we missed the entirety of the team building that happened off-camera).

Preacher is saved by its cast and the fact that it's an absurdity, but once it's done, it would be interesting to do edited cut with the material in hand.

I think it could improve significantly. :)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just watched episode 7. I assume in the US you see 8 tonight? Just please don't spoil things without tags danke.

I thought 7 was wonderful. No real slow parts and I really enjoyed what they're doing with Humperdoo (the whole Williamsburg bit I thought was fantastic). I assume this stuff is in the comics?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Just watched episode 7. I assume in the US you see 8 tonight? Just please don't spoil things without tags danke.

I thought 7 was wonderful. No real slow parts and I really enjoyed what they're doing with Humperdoo (the whole Williamsburg bit I thought was fantastic). I assume this stuff is in the comics?

Not really. "The Child" (as TV's Humperdoo was called in the comics) was about 16 years old, looked nothing like Jesus, and was crushed when Starr dropped the Allfather from a helicopter while escaping Masada (because The Saint of Killers was slaughtering everyone inside and Starr had set off a self destruct device)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The level of gore in this episode veered between extreme levels of hilarity and horror at the same time. Though why did Jesse prostrate himself before God here when before out in the ocean way back when, he was deliberately antagonizing him?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Startin to think this God fella is a bit of an assholio.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm really liking how this season is adapting so many recognizable great moments from the comics but in a way that I still don't know where they are going. Very excited by Eugene picking up a guitar, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I do think the show is kind of a mess at times, it does feel like it is treating its characters better than the comics.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not sure if it's treating the characters any better or not. To me it seems more like they were able to look at the entire comic run at once and decide changes to make to smooth out their progression while not changing all that much. Or it did anyway before the last two seasons were tumbled toward an ending.

The way the comic's plot beats are being plopped about continues to be weird, but the actors are selling it so hard I just accept it and watch with amusement. Except for the face nibble. Something about this version didn't work at all for me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I know there was no way they were going to do it (expense!) but I loved the Cass origin issue in the book.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That was Proud Americans, no? Had the zippo origin story too and the Saint's, I think. Really great TPB on its own too.

I gotta say I love how they're doing the characters but again, they feel really juvenile and petty and I used to think they all were these hardcore badasses in the comics, but maybe that's just impressionable teenage me talking.

Episode 8 was ok I guess. Spoilers for the dude who's lagging behind: Jesse suddenly sucking up to God was weird. Also just realised they're gonna circle back to Masada AGAIN. This really got some bad TWD farm syndrome. They half-assed Starr's origin but lol at them using clearly adult Starr in a wig for the scene. OWWWW at the nipples, they're really going all-out. Is he really whole again or did he dream that?

also I'm 99% sure the Saint didn't factor in at Masada in the comics but I might be wrong.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I knew I was forgetting another good one! Yeah, the Vietnam story ruled too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zwille posted:

also I'm 99% sure the Saint didn't factor in at Masada in the comics but I might be wrong.

He slaughtered everyone there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Davros1 posted:

He slaughtered everyone there

Ah poo poo now I remember he went all Jurassic Park 2 on that one ship, right