Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe Tulip, Jesse and Cassidy should just end up in a poly relationship in this show.

It's an interesting difference that God wants to bring about the Apocalypse to make room for a new creation to replace man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I also thought it was kinda weird how Jessie was sucking up to God but then I realized that he'd spent 3 months in Hell refusing to take God's seat. That probably hosed him up enough to be grateful for God resurrecting him and assuming it was a test the whole time. At least he, appropriately, got real indignant once God told him he failed. Was sorta hoping that in an episode with straight up graphic nipple ripping, we'd see a proper eyeball coming out of Jessie's face. Oh well, go read the comic!

davidspackage posted:

Maybe Tulip, Jesse and Cassidy should just end up in a poly relationship in this show.
I honestly thought exactly the same thing. Life is too short, just gently caress each other!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cassidy would be down I'm pretty sure :shrug:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So God manages to be both the classic Satanic tempter archetype and straight up Emperor Palpatine in this episode? Between someone like that and the impending apocalypse, our protags don't stand a chance.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if they have Eugene end up as the new "God"
Def think they are going in this direction and down for it

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the fact that Jesus is played by the singer from the All-American Rejects is completely breaking my brain

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Episode 8 was fantastic. Seems like the middle of each season is where it drags as they need to hold all the good stuff back but I wish they wouldn't have wasted like an hour of airtime on just Cassidy being tortured and put back in prison. I'm always entertained though and this is the only show I like that also has me squirm at least once per episode at the sheer brutality of it (the nipples in 8, the captain in 6 etc). Starrs origin was wonderfully played. Is that accurate to the comic?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hey, I'm in this episode (technically)! I'm just off-screen in the scene where Eugene is playing the guitar in prison, and you can possibly see my hand(s) at some point in the scene where Featherstone's leading Humperdoo through the crowd!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Hey, I'm in this episode (technically)! I'm just off-screen in the scene where Eugene is playing the guitar in prison, and you can possibly see my hand(s) at some point in the scene where Featherstone's leading Humperdoo through the crowd!
:aaa:

Your hand's famous. I hope it remembers the rest of you when it's going to hollywood parties and fondling coke with bigwig network execs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
My hand was in the scene with Featherstone and Starr!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Those were actually my nipples they used as props in that scene with God.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
did they just handle the jesse/cassidy/tulip relationship way better then they ever did the comic?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiggum posted:

Hah that's cool. I know it's 1000% out of your control if you're a background actor but if you can actually nail this type of framing consistently make a joke demo reel for "yourself"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bring back old gbs posted:

Hah that's cool. I know it's 1000% out of your control if you're a background actor but if you can actually nail this type of framing consistently make a joke demo reel for "yourself"

I don't really know how much work the average person who signs up for this kind of stuff gets (but I've got long hair and a beard so I suspect I'm probably getting fewer offers than other people) and ideally I'll be getting some more regular work that will result in me having less free time anyway, but I did have the thought that if I got a few of these jobs I'd put together a reel of my blurry, half-second appearances in the background of scenes like as though I think I'm a big deal serious actor. Unfortunately, in about nine months on the books I've only almost appeared in two scenes of one episode of a single TV show, so that hasn't eventuated. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

shades of eternity posted:

did they just handle the jesse/cassidy/tulip relationship way better then they ever did the comic?

Felt like it. It was a nice change of pace that for once (for every show, not just Preacher) characters just loving talked to each other and got poo poo out in the open and hey look at that, poo poo gets resolved. Of course, Jesse quietly telling Cassidy he understands and Tulip was right because he was gone.... but he's back now.... leaves enough wriggle-room for there to be a problem.

Did anybody else think God was being a huge(r than normal) turbo-rear end in a top hat and was going to technically keep his word about Cassidy getting to be together with Tulip by feeding him her blood? I was pretty loving relieved when it was just a misdirect.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

That last Arseface scene is a goddamn hoot for comic readers. Anyone who wants to read the comics after the show, don't read the spoiler. For anyone who doesn't care but didn't read the comics, read the spoiler!
Arseface spends a chunk of the comic becoming a huge rock star.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I only just caught up to the show so it's pretty good timing with the finale next week. Kind of surprised it's ending so soon, did the comics have much more story? Feels like they could've kept the wackiness going for another season or two. I had the 'Herr Star gets more and more injured' spoiled for me but god drat that was great

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The comic is very much written to be a road trip, or a modern day western to be more succinct. The show drops a lot, not only in locations, but character wise as well. Most notably Cassidy. He's a user and abuser. And incredibly selfish. He puts others in danger without thinking of the consequences. He lusts after Tulip, despite her flat out rejecting him. .

Ennis also tends to write most story arcs in a six issue burst, so nothing really ever drags, there's really now "Spinning their wheels".

This is basically the whole breakdown of the comic:

Texas: Introduces Jesse, Tulip, Cassidy, Arseface, The Saint of Killers
New York: The gang meets a friend of Cassidy's, who turns out to be a serial killer. Cass decides to spent some time away from the gang.
Louisiana: Jesse and Tulip are taken prisoner by Jesse's Gran'ma and her henchmen TC and Jodie.
San Francisco: Jesse and Tulip are reunited with Cassidy, meet Jesus De Sade. The Grail, Herr Starr, Featherstone, and Hoover are introduced.
France: Cassidy has been captured by the Grail and tortured. Jesse and Tulip go to rescue him. We meet The Allfather, The Child (aka Humperdoo), and
learn the origins of Genesis. Jesse makes a deal with the Saint, and Starr takes control of the Grail killing the Allfather and the Child in the
process.

New York: We learn the origins of Cassidy, from his point of view.
New Orleans: The gang meets a friend of Cass', who helps Jesse tap into Genesis, to learn what happened to the Saint of Killers family. A group of
wannabe vampires, Les Enfants du Sang, who know Cass of old, almost kill Jesse and Tulip
Monument Valley: The gang are reunited with The Saint of Killers, and Jesse reveals what he learned about the death of the Saint's family. Starr shows up
with the a battalion of US soldiers. The Saint of Killer massacres the entire unit, and Starr orders a nuclear strike on the Saint. Jesse, Tulip, and
Cass escape by stealing Starr's private plane, but Jesse falls from the plane. The nuclear strike sets Monument Valley ablaze, but does nothing
to the Saint. Starr ends up in the hands of some inbred cannibals, but manages to escape, but not before having one leg eaten.
Texas: Jesse, now missing an eye, gives up his hunt for god, become sheriff of a small Texas town, where he feuds with Odin Quincannon, the owner of the local meat packing plant. Jesse is also reunited with his long thought dead mother, Christina. Meanwhile, Tulip has taken to drinking and taking meds (which Cassidy is more than happy to provide her) in response to the belief that Jesse is dead. This suits Cassidy, since he's been in love with her for a
long time, even though she doesn't reciprocate. Jesse, having taken care of Quincannon, has decided to renew his quest, after learning that God is the one who took his eye, and doesn't care about the human race.
New York: Tulip leaves Cassidy to clean herself, and is reunited with Jesse. Jesse then tracks down an old acquaintance of Cass', and learns that the man he thought of as friend has been a user and abuser ever since he became a vampire.
Texas: Jesse travels to the remains of Ratwater, TX, where the Saint of Killers, when he was mere human, died. He forges an alliance with The Saint.
New York: Jesse and Cassidy finally have it out. Starr has long since given up the idea of starting an apocalypse, all he wants is to make Jesse
suffer before he dies. Jesse and Cass beat each other senseless, but Jesse is still willing to help Cass. Cass thanks him, but instead decides to burn
up in the morning sun. Starr, who has been watching this from a rooftop, has a sniper take out Jesse, releasing Genesis. Tulip arrives, and kills Starr.
Heaven: With Jesse, and Genesis, gone, God returns to Heaven. He reveals that he had made a deal with Cassidy. Cassidy would set Jesse up so Jesse
could be separated from Genesis, but only on two conditions: No matter what happens, Jesse Custer would live. And so would Cassidy. God kept his
word, only to discover that The Saint of Killers has killed the entirety of the Heaven Host. God pleads with the Saint, offering anything, even his family,
but the Saint is unmoved. He kills God.

Jesse and Tulip, reunited, ride off in the sunset. Cassidy, alive, and human once again, decides to try and be a better person.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am so sad we never got Graham McTavish's interpretation of this scene from War in the Sun

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wish they'd done the bit where someone asks The Saint if he's going up to the Valley, and what he's going to do there, and The Saint replies "Most likely kill every living thing I find."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah, I think at this point Starr won't be saying his classic line from the comic when he turns down Featherbottom. Not gonna post anything until the last episode is complete, though, cuz who knows. But the fact he accepted her helping hand was itself a decent joke.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Davros1 posted:

The comic is very much written to be a road trip, or a modern day western to be more succinct. The show drops a lot, not only in locations, but character wise as well. Most notably Cassidy. He's a user and abuser. And incredibly selfish. He puts others in danger without thinking of the consequences. He lusts after Tulip, despite her flat out rejecting him. .

Ennis also tends to write most story arcs in a six issue burst, so nothing really ever drags, there's really now "Spinning their wheels".

This is basically the whole breakdown of the comic:

Interesting, thanks for that. I might give them a look after the show is done

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wish I had turned off my tv when Jesse commanded me to

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Same, that was a mess of an ending.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
drat, that epilogue really went out of its way to answer questions no one cared about or asked. At least a few key moments from the comic survived the... is "butchering" the right word at this point?

Since I don't want to type with huge redacted spoiler blobs, I'll just say episodes 8 and 9 made it look like it was gonna be a blowout of a ending, then the first quarter of the finale was mostly drawn out time wasting, and only a little improved from there.

Loved most of the acting though. So it continued to be well-done shite by a cast that, even with dips, ended up exceeding the scripts they were given. So, four out of five Christopher Walkens on that scale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really enjoyed Season 3 so I had high hopes for this, but in the end it was just kind of messy and drawn out. Plenty of great moments from the cast and some really strong individual scenes but overall it felt like the show was just jamming as much as it possibly could in knowing they weren't getting another season.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment is that they faked out the Saint of Killers ending at the climax of the last episode only to go ahead and do it here, and it felt somewhat diluted since the possibility of that encounter really should have snuck up on us.

Good show, but it lacked a cohesive vision across all 4 seasons and it was carried purely by the strength of the actors/characters.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I never read the comic books. I know the thread is down, but I'm going to let you all know as someone that went in cold, I thought this show was pretty drat good.

I never felt any pacing issues because I didn't know what I was missing or what was supposed to be happening. This show was all over the place and in a good way. I always felt like the show was moving except maybe during the Louisiana stuff. I was starting to get sick of that by the end of that season. I'll miss watching this show each week wondering what crazy things I'm going to see (meat boys, fat popes, pissing jesus, god eating eyes... wtf all the time).

I think the only other shows that feels a bit like this to me are Doom Patrol and maybe the Evil Dead series in terms of a good mix of adventure/comedy/wtf. I could use a few more "Preachers" to watch. It was a fun ride.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely a bizarre let down of an ending, especially the whole thing with Cassidy. Show itself was all I knew of it---the wheels definitely came off hard in their final slam on the gas pedal.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I appreciated the seasons of crazy WTF?!?!

I did not appreciate the last half hour of timid, muted wtf....? Kind of went out with a whimper, eh?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that was a mess. So many weird plotting choices, like the script was written stream of consciousness and they didn't go back to fix things. Eugene's getting hit by a car went nowhere, Featherstone was pointless, Jesus and Hitler just an excuse for one more fight scene.

Thought for a moment they were going to leave it open on God taking to the road again, but then they tacked on a rather uninspired conclusion.

I did really like Cassidy's conclusion at the graves. Very sweet and a cool ending for the show's likeable main character.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I could use a few more "Preachers" to watch. It was a fun ride.

Have you seen 'Happy!'? I think you'd enjoy it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I liked it other than God and Jesse sitting and chatting like friends. It seemed way too late for that kind of moment

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Well that was a crap finale. Felt like a bunch of alternate takes strung together.

Any of you notice how precisely the Saint scenes occasionally copied the comic? I think the first episode with the Saint ever was like that, too, Wille also adding their own spin. Man that was a good one.

They had a bunch of good ideas. Real pity they didn’t get the budget/time they needed.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

davidspackage posted:

I did really like Cassidy's conclusion at the graves. Very sweet and a cool ending for the show's likeable main character.

:same:

The rest though ... eurgh

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
So uh, oof. I take it the comic is a bit more deliberate with the ending?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The comic has some contrivances in its ending, but it's very satisfying overall.

edit: vv

el oso posted:

Very little cohesion but some great scenes.

That sums up the show for me.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 2, 2019

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I really did like that final scene with Cassidy. Gilgun has been the MVP of this show the whole time and it was a surprisingly poignant scene for him. Wonderful visual of him walking out of focus and bursting into flames.

As for the show as a whole - well, it certainly had quite a few moments I won't forget. Very little cohesion but some great scenes.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
So Humperdo going out on stage and dancing signals the apocalypse, and the world ends.

Except that Hump refuses to go out on stage and dance.

And they shoot him anyway.

Also I guess Hell has no leader again?

Also also Saint's gun can shoot anything but gets stopped by a sword from an angel? But then he kills the angelic host no probs?

Also also also the gently caress with Genesis at the end?

The gently caress?

I honestly thought the 20 minutes in the middle with the baby and Jesse and Tulip being happy and sitting down to chat with god was all some kinda fakeout desperate last trick from god or something to con Jesse. But it was all just real.

gently caress, Herr Star is just all fine and happy now and got away scott free?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would have been some nice payoff if they went with Humperdoo actually understanding what the dance was for. A big white jumpsuit guy comes in to bring him to the stage, and he finally sticks up for himself (though clumsily) and shouts "NO!" and the white guy just fuckin explodes in pink mist. He's sort of freaked out but then Tulip and Cassidy start smiling and praising him for it, so they escape the place as Humperdoo yells "NO!" at every guard they come across. He's got something even more powerful than Genesis.

And then God tries to personally intervene on the way out, but Humperdoo's "NO!" starts throwing him around like a ragdoll, just completely mangling his body, breaking every bone. Humperdoo is actually going to kill him but Cassidy has second thoughts and steps in the way, they both get obliterated. Not for long though because Cassidy heals himself with God blood and maybe that makes him not a vampire? or a vampire that can go to heaven one day? idk. Also Preacher still gives up Genesis but it starts hanging around with Humperdoo because they like eachother and Humperdoo doesn't want to use it for personal gain. thx for reading my Preacher Fan Fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I forget how they explained the Saint's guns in the TV show, but in the comic (Saint's origin mini) they're reforged from the Angel of Death's sword in hellfire (the last one for some reason), effectively making them absurdly magical. That let them hand wave most of the impossible aspects as they're divine.

So if you have any "Wait--what?" moments, the writers will probably just say something like that and try to change the subject.

They took a lot of this logic to the TV show, but I can't remember if they explained much of it or offered enough of their own reimagining of the origin/rules for anyone who didn't read it or check the character notes on a wiki. They probably didn't.