Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Six eps into S4.

It's a mess. A giant lovely mess of references, out of sequence storytelling that doesn't seem to be working for me, and weird contrived situations to align itself closer to the source material. Though I probably haven't re-read Preacher in 5-10 years at least I remember enough.

Can't say I thought the first 2-3 episodes were going anywhere, but now it's starting to look like it's tumbling toward a goal. Doubt it'll make a lot of sense with 3 hours to gloss over whatever they decide to adapt, but it'll probably be fun to ride out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not sure if it's treating the characters any better or not. To me it seems more like they were able to look at the entire comic run at once and decide changes to make to smooth out their progression while not changing all that much. Or it did anyway before the last two seasons were tumbled toward an ending.

The way the comic's plot beats are being plopped about continues to be weird, but the actors are selling it so hard I just accept it and watch with amusement. Except for the face nibble. Something about this version didn't work at all for me.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
drat, that epilogue really went out of its way to answer questions no one cared about or asked. At least a few key moments from the comic survived the... is "butchering" the right word at this point?

Since I don't want to type with huge redacted spoiler blobs, I'll just say episodes 8 and 9 made it look like it was gonna be a blowout of a ending, then the first quarter of the finale was mostly drawn out time wasting, and only a little improved from there.

Loved most of the acting though. So it continued to be well-done shite by a cast that, even with dips, ended up exceeding the scripts they were given. So, four out of five Christopher Walkens on that scale.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I forget how they explained the Saint's guns in the TV show, but in the comic (Saint's origin mini) they're reforged from the Angel of Death's sword in hellfire (the last one for some reason), effectively making them absurdly magical. That let them hand wave most of the impossible aspects as they're divine.

So if you have any "Wait--what?" moments, the writers will probably just say something like that and try to change the subject.

They took a lot of this logic to the TV show, but I can't remember if they explained much of it or offered enough of their own reimagining of the origin/rules for anyone who didn't read it or check the character notes on a wiki. They probably didn't.