Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
all of superbunnyhop's videos about MGS games are good. ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-jyF987MQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Also, content: Nobody's posted NitroRad yet? He specializes in 3D platformers and survival horror and while I haven't watched anything in the latter category the former contains just about every obscure also-ran mascot platformer ever as well as the big boys, and every time he tries to take them at face value and appreciate what they brought to the table even if the execution wasn't perfect.

cerebral critique is definitely a focus-point of the thread, unless it's good comedy instead, or a blend of the two

and yeah i just remembered NitroRad. he has this sort of enthusiasm that almost seems naive but isnt quite, it just seems hopeful and optimistic and is more endearing than obnoxious

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

sea of losers posted:

and yeah i just remembered NitroRad. he has this sort of enthusiasm that almost seems naive but isnt quite, it just seems hopeful and optimistic and is more endearing than obnoxious
NitroRad's cool because he gives a poo poo about games and doesn't play the Dunk On Everything game that so many reviewers think you need to do to be entertaining.

e: speaking of gives a poo poo, doesn't hang around dunking on things, and talks about mascot platformers sometimes, SuperButterBuns won me over with her "beginner's guide to Bloodborne" video but honestly she's funny, generally well informed, and has no shame in her love for Kingdom Hearts and Persona poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AfHLZx3f8

Most of her channel is either yelling about an older game that was great fun, or teaching newcomers to a game what they need to know - mostly though, everything's just love letters to games with very little care given to chasing release cycles or having her finger on the pulse of What's Being Talked About. She's one of those people who has a wildly animated voice and yells a lot but I don't find it obnoxious like I do most people online? Or at least, I don't find it the bad kind of obnoxious. I like her! :shobon:

Wungus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 18, 2019

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont want to start a derail about bad videos in the good video thread but theres no way this video is good.

This probably comes as no surprise since I suggested the 10 hour Dark Souls 2 videos..but I actually thought this was pretty good.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Taking 4 hours to say there were too many hours of cutscenes in mgs4 is chill

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

Taking 4 hours to say there were too many hours of cutscenes in mgs4 is chill

video is even more lol when you put it like this. the guy does go into quite a bit more detail about various things, but it's just not as well organized or cut-down as the SBH video, imo

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i could honestly post just about any superbunnyhop vid and it would fit in this thread. here's his video about everything wrong with battlefield 3's single player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErTQh9INneY

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

sea of losers posted:

i could honestly post just about any superbunnyhop vid and it would fit in this thread. here's his video about everything wrong with battlefield 3's single player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErTQh9INneY
I watched his really good one today about how Nintendo should make VR mode for every N64 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzyf1SyM-1A

He's a chill guy

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yeah he is. fortunately even if nintendo doesnt want to remake their games in VR, anything that runs on dolphin can be tried out in VR

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

idk if anyone continued to follow the guy behind "Freeman's Mind," (Ross) but he has a thing where he reviews weird games or games he likes and his writing and voice are both enjoyable to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulp99wSUNgk

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

sea of losers posted:

video is even more lol when you put it like this. the guy does go into quite a bit more detail about various things, but it's just not as well organized or cut-down as the SBH video, imo

okay, the 10 hour video guy is an rear end in a top hat, but what's wrong with making long videos? why is there an arbitrary limit on video essay length

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Because some of us have to go to loving work in the morning

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

MrBTongue writes about once a week for Shamus Young's site, right now he's playing through Baldur's Gate with a few friends:

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=47760

This is phenomenal news, I thought BTongue was gone forever. I could listen to (or read, I guess) that dude talking about anything.

Hbomberguy’s game videos are enthusiast and often miss the mark, I generally like them but their videos on Dark Souls 2 and No Man’s Sky aren’t very good. Well, DS2 was a good video I just disagreed with, but the NMS video intentionally misrepresented the controversy around the game’s launch and presented the game as like, objectively good based on their unique take of it being a game about the loneliness of space exploration. Which is cool and I’m glad they got that out of it but then pretty much every update since proves that’s not what Hello Games was going for.

The Bloodborne video’s pretty great though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drkeiscool posted:

okay, the 10 hour video guy is an rear end in a top hat, but what's wrong with making long videos? why is there an arbitrary limit on video essay length

I'd say a big factor is how much time you're spending on a single topic. Noah Gervais makes some long fuckin' videos (that are also very good) but he's usually breaking down entire game franchises. Or in the case of his longest to date (3 whole hours), every single piece of official content for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. And even then, people usually nope out at the idea of watching the shorter ones.

It's less that there's an arbitrary limit on length and more that if you can't make a coherent point about a video game within about an hour or less then people are going to pointedly ignore you because they've got better things to do with their time.

And FWIW exhaustively, meticulously arguing every little tiny thing in excruciating detail is a big red flag when it comes to video production because at best it means they don't feel the need to do proper scripting/editing work and at worst they're a chud trying to pull the ole "I said the most words about why Square isn't allowed to censor Tifa's boobs therefore I am the most correct and logical and rational" trick.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

Because some of us have to go to loving work in the morning

no, you must quit your job so that you can get into internet fights with nerds like me!

John Murdoch posted:

I'd say a big factor is how much time you're spending on a single topic. Noah Gervais makes some long fuckin' videos (that are also very good) but he's usually breaking down entire game franchises. Or in the case of his longest to date (3 whole hours), every single piece of official content for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. And even then, people usually nope out at the idea of watching the shorter ones.

It's less that there's an arbitrary limit on length and more that if you can't make a coherent point about a video game within about an hour or less then people are going to pointedly ignore you because they've got better things to do with their time.

And FWIW exhaustively, meticulously arguing every little tiny thing in excruciating detail is a big red flag when it comes to video production because at best it means they don't feel the need to do proper scripting/editing work and at worst they're a chud trying to pull the ole "I said the most words about why Square isn't allowed to censor Tifa's boobs therefore I am the most correct and logical and rational" trick.

for the record, i mostly listened mauler's video instead of watching it, so you probably have a good point about editing. i didn't really get a "i said the most, therefore shut up" vibe though, just a ridiculous level of focus. i understand time considerations, but i feel like there's a difference between "i won't watch this guy because holy poo poo, how long is this?" and "this video is 10 hours long and therefore bad."

the mgs4 video is particularly good! it really didn't feel like 3 hours to me, and it felt like a fairly comprehensive look at the tangled mess of mgs4 and it's production and staff.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

If you can't get your point out in simple, easy to understand terms you don't understand your point enough to share it.

Like,
and I'm aware I'm guilty of doing the thing I'm criticizing right the hell now,
generally when people who CAN get their point out easily do long-rear end explanations, they're not innocently sharing an opinion - they're attempting to indoctrinate. Even if they're doing it accidentally! If you tell someone "buddy, your hair looks bad" and they disagree, they're sure as gently caress going to wind up changing their hair if you spend ten hours repeatedly focusing on small details that "prove" your assertion, and they'll likely look back at that haircut/hairstyle as "a dumb mistake." It's literally why newspapers are structured the way they are, why essays are written the way they do - open with a fact, dive into explaining the fact, and you'll get your information hammered into the mind of the reader. Hell, we've become so indoctrinated into this way of consuming information that people are easily tricked into believing the first point if there's a bunch of words after it, even if the words and 'evidence' are absolute bullshit. See antivaxxers and flat earth conspiracists and scientologists for great examples of the side effect of this technique. Only, thing is, when it comes to youtube videos about gaming, that poo poo ain't fact, it's an opinion, you don't argue opinion like facts. poo poo's used for brainwashing, and unless the person's like, actually funny (see Folding Ideas and his multi part "lukewarm defense of 50 shades" series) a long video's just a sign someone's gunna be telling you your haircut's dumb then adding on poo poo to make it seem like there's a mountain of evidence on their opinion.

Also it's boring and weird to spend three hours listening to a lonely obsessive ramble. Whycome y'all wanna ignore public transport mumblers only to go home and get on youtube and listen to the same.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
exceptionally long videos also use their length as a defense mechanism

example: "Jordan Peterson is a dummy"

"UM HAVE YOU WATCHED THIS FORTY-HOUR VIDEO EXPLAINING THAT HE ISN'T? THEN YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!"

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

drkeiscool posted:

There's not an arbitrary limit, but like I said before, if you can't be concise with your thoughts you might need to think about it more. Like that ten hour dude absolutely did not need that long to express his disagreement. It's just manufacturing content at that point in my opinion.

Speaking again about the previously mentioned video, there's a moment in it (video only, not audio so you may have missed it) where it flashes up "dis-encourage is not a word". This occurs during the segment (which I can only assume continues through the entire 10 hour saga) of listing and responding to each and every individual word of the video.

What point does that serve their argument, do you think? Do they think that people were confused or misled by that?

I think that videos like that one, and ones in general that can't manage to pare themselves down, frequently miss the forest for the trees.

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 24, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Youtube Recommends came through and introduced me to this lovely channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMq4zeDioY

Soothing gentle videos about Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and fun experiments therein. Engine abuse, scenario walkthroughs and ride guides abound. Not tons of content but super :3:-worthy

In the same vein, Decino does super calm and informative videos about DOOM, playthroughs and fun engine stuff too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvXsdYFM1Q

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 24, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Not actually a video but finally a gaming news site we can trust:
https://ogn.theonion.com/

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
uh, mentioning antivaxxers and jordan peterson in a discussion about an admittedly excessive video about dark souls 2 is kinda weird? i think? mauler is certainly trying to persuade people that he's right about his opinions on dark souls 2, but that's not really indoctrination. it's just poorly edited.

Whalley posted:

Also it's boring and weird to spend three hours listening to a lonely obsessive ramble. Whycome y'all wanna ignore public transport mumblers only to go home and get on youtube and listen to the same.

fukkin i don't know, man. some people like movies, i like to watch poo poo like metal gear solid critiques and half in the bag or whatever. sometimes i listen to them like podcasts when i'm playing my overpriced open world games. why is that weird?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Not actually a video but finally a gaming news site we can trust:
https://ogn.theonion.com/

Ngl I would pay full retail for a birdwatching game with Hitman production values

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Whalley posted:

ok here's what we can do to ameliorate this discussion:
- dont post about it unless you can post a cool vid along with it
- i dont know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH8k-SUhUoI

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

new tehsnakerer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXMtQ1ptQh4

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

here's another guy who doesnt post alot right now but ive enjoyed alot of his videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJIzkMPVh4&t=1920s

they are very long and detailed and critical and emphatic

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I randomly found this playlist on youtube.

Are any channel names ringing a bell and worth watching (except for some videos that were already posted itt)?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

chris davis is cool

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

but what's wrong with making long videos? why is there an arbitrary limit on video essay length

nothing, and there isn't any, respectively. the real core of things i'm trying to communicate is that good writing and/or editing can make 30min seem like 15, and bad writing/editing can make 30min seem like 60. good editing is a lil more clear-cut, but good writing is more subjective from person to person so all i can rly do is post examples of what i think is Good Writing (as i have already done), as i don't think i have the critical / cultural skill to explain why i think theyre good

i will say that any video that's meant to be a response/rebuttal to another video and is 10hrs when the original video is only 90min is 99% unlikely to be concise, well-edited, or well-written. i didn't try to watch that 10hr MauLer video, but i dont think i need to eat poo poo to know it tastes bad. i'm posting videos on single games that i enjoy and those videos are almost 3hrs for a detailed account of a single game, but 10hrs is just... like, how would that not seem excessive? what single game would warrant 10 hours of video investigating it? what 90min game review would warrant a 10-hr deconstruction? i just don't see a situation where that would be the case, and again i'm someone who rly rly loves long, in-depth analysis. the longest video about a single game that i consider to be fairly decent is matthewmatosis's commentary on dark souls 1, which is literally a step-by-step account of the whole game, talking about every single facet of the experience as it crops up, and it takes 6h30m. not something i consider to be well-edited, but worthwhile at its core.

for content: if you don't want to watch a 2h40m video about the narrative of heavy rain, tehsnakerer released a video about it that he did purely from his memory of playing the game years prior and it's less than 18min and p amusing imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqpk0LaeZ_0

also: im probably not possessing the "normal" opinions of these videos (instead a more biased one) because ive probably spent like 10x more time watching these videos than i have playing almost any videogame (except STALKER series). playing the videogame takes all of yr attention and usually a somewhat-beefy windows PC, where youtube can be used in passing on macOS on a laptop while loving with ableton, which is where i spend most of my time. like, for most singleplayer games that seem interesting im more likely to watch an LP of it than play it, like the evil within 2 for example. i didnt have access to a gaming pc with a better gfx card than a geforce 750m until a few months ago, and i've spent more than 5 years in such a position

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 29, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

sea of losers posted:

i'm trying to communicate is that good writing and/or editing can make 30min seem like 15, and bad writing/editing can make 30min seem like 60.

Is that why I aged 20 years reading this post

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yes

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

bich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V09jgUwtth4

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

hell yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

new chris davis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LP0k0o9wXQ

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
even if it came out in 2021 id love to see that facefullofeyes guy take a look at the dead space games

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Verviticus posted:

even if it came out in 2021 id love to see that facefullofeyes guy take a look at the dead space games

I would love to see him talk about anything and everything for thousands of hours

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

hey hey people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4mLTsuORs

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I would love to see him talk about anything and everything for thousands of hours

i agree. his 2 videos currently have less than 6,000 total views according to youtube. idk why those numbers are so low.

there is a discussion to be had about how youtube channels function. some ppl rely on youtube (+merch) for their living and their continued ability to create this content. some, like with noah g, subsist from patreon money and side jobs and put out videos on a semi-scheduled basis, with some videos made just to inform people how theyre living their lives. i'm not sure where cv-11, sszseth and mandalore are exactly, they also get patreon money but adhere to a somewhat more rigorous schedule with releasing their videos, but i'm not sure they rely on it as their main income. consistent and frequent updates are a major factor in creating and fostering a "fanbase" for youtube channels, and if you give money to these people it seems to help free their time to create more content. if you look in their social media accounts or their videos you can find them talking about their lives.

but then you have someone like facefullofeyes who has no patreon, no videos with outros talking about how their life is interfering with their creativity, no asking for donations, no discord channel, no paypal address, barely any information about the person behind the video. just a twitter and a youtube. is it because theyre doing it purely as a passion project? are they struggling? are they not? from the reactions of some viewers in this thread and elsewhere, it seems that this sequestration of the creator from their content inspires intrigue. would facefullofeyes make more videos faster if people were throwing money at him? would more views do the same? as of right now it's hard to tell. it seems that if the creator requests money for their content, then there is some sort of obligation to have an open dialogue with one's audience about how the creator is spending their time. no money, no obligation to the audience. as someone who is perpetually broke but also has created a fair amount of art, this is why i feel uncomfortable with starting a patreon: i have no desire to be compelled to share the details of my life with people who feel entitled to such details on account of the fact that they'd be paying me money

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 1, 2019

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

have i posted Errant Signal in here yet? i don't think so. he's pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iUQ6lteaM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012

schmitty9800 posted:

Crowbcat is hit or miss (and googling around there's rumors he took money to promote a particular VR game in the middle of a "VR sucks" video) but I don't think anyone's better showing off developer dumbness. The DR1 vs. DR4 one blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVtZJo-HqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeIT0MBSac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

i "used to" enjoy him but lately it feels like he is basically a grandpa gamer fearmonger "THINGS USED TO BE BETTER!" with rose painted glasses on everything and trying to milk every minor controversy like the laughable concept of "downgrades"