Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

schmitty9800 posted:

Crowbcat is hit or miss (and googling around there's rumors he took money to promote a particular VR game in the middle of a "VR sucks" video) but I don't think anyone's better showing off developer dumbness. The DR1 vs. DR4 one blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVtZJo-HqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeIT0MBSac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

Crowbcat is sometimes great at capturing the zeitgeist when it comes to controversial releases (or otherwise just pointing out lies or fabrications), but most of the time the comparisons of two games in the same franchise boil down to "two different games made by two different development teams targeting different hardware and made under different circumstances....are different from each other!!! even though they're part of the same series!!!! :monocle:"

They give me a really bad vibe because they come off like someone who doesn't actually understand anything about development nitpicking details that aren't necessarily meaningless but are usually included because the devs had room to breathe and slack off and experiment with random weird poo poo instead of being under the gun to deliver a franchise sequel for half the budget in 8 months, just in time for the winter launch period. (In other words, they seemingly target the game as a product of its assumed lazy/stupid/bad developers but not necessarily as a product of its likely much worse publisher.) Is every MGS game after 2 inherently an inferior cash grab because they don't feature an overly detailed ice cube melting simulation?

Gamers should be more aware of the artifice of the hype machine, but the absolutism over what are usually minor details gives me the creeps and is almost certainly what leads to stuff like the meltdowns over puddles in Spiderman.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sea of losers posted:

i can believe this, but i wouldn't know about it personally because it seems to take a backseat to his content where he just gets angry about everything. also calling himself the Angry Movie Nerd might've helped

He straight up only releases a few Nerd episodes a year nowadays, on account of being busy with life (wife and a kid, IIRC) and other passion projects. Angry Joe gets a lot of hate but his heart is generally in the right place.

That said, I agree that there's not much point in posting their stuff ITT because while I don't think either of them are Bad their stuff tends to be on a totally different wavelength to the kind of chill, cerebral game critique that's this thread's bread and butter.

Also, content: Nobody's posted NitroRad yet? He specializes in 3D platformers and survival horror and while I haven't watched anything in the latter category the former contains just about every obscure also-ran mascot platformer ever as well as the big boys, and every time he tries to take them at face value and appreciate what they brought to the table even if the execution wasn't perfect.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 14, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drkeiscool posted:

okay, the 10 hour video guy is an rear end in a top hat, but what's wrong with making long videos? why is there an arbitrary limit on video essay length

I'd say a big factor is how much time you're spending on a single topic. Noah Gervais makes some long fuckin' videos (that are also very good) but he's usually breaking down entire game franchises. Or in the case of his longest to date (3 whole hours), every single piece of official content for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. And even then, people usually nope out at the idea of watching the shorter ones.

It's less that there's an arbitrary limit on length and more that if you can't make a coherent point about a video game within about an hour or less then people are going to pointedly ignore you because they've got better things to do with their time.

And FWIW exhaustively, meticulously arguing every little tiny thing in excruciating detail is a big red flag when it comes to video production because at best it means they don't feel the need to do proper scripting/editing work and at worst they're a chud trying to pull the ole "I said the most words about why Square isn't allowed to censor Tifa's boobs therefore I am the most correct and logical and rational" trick.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A real plague of Pathologic analysis videos.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
ggggggggman is a chuddy piece of poo poo.