Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
EXODUS, lets save the people of Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

exodus

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Exodus. Contact is more something for a hybrid affinity. Plus, I really like the end quote.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Exodus. Earth needs you!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Let´s go with Exodus, we can always phone aliens/progenitors/Chtulhu when we´ve saved what we can from the old world.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Exodus. Rescue the people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Exodus

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Exodus, not sure how much narrative juice there is in doing math until Generic Mysterious Ancient Aliens show up compared to hearing the testimony of refugees from a dying Earth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

Exodus, not sure how much narrative juice there is in doing math until Generic Mysterious Ancient Aliens show up compared to hearing the testimony of refugees from a dying Earth.

I have my own idea about who the Progenitors are, and it's decidedly not that, fyi. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cythereal posted:

I have my own idea about who the Progenitors are, and it's decidedly not that, fyi. :v:

Tipping the scales in favor of Contact, I see!!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

Tipping the scales in favor of Contact, I see!!!

Eh, I'll do whatever people vote for. I intend to keep this thread in mind even if I don't do another game right away after this. I certainly might do a Harmony game at a later point.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Exodus feels like the Supremacy victory, i'm curious what people think about all the possible victory conditions. I assume you can do a positive and negative viewpoint for all of them, except maybe the Harmony options since that feels like you're very obviously subsuming yourself to the will of the entire planet

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Contact

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Going to say Contact just because Exodus seems like it'd be basically a repeat of Emancipation. What's the mechanical difference between the two?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

nielsm posted:

Going to say Contact just because Exodus seems like it'd be basically a repeat of Emancipation. What's the mechanical difference between the two?

Instead of sending our troops into the gate, earth sends all the remaining humans through the gate as colonists, they have to set up (I think 6?) Cities, you have to defend them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nielsm posted:

What's the mechanical difference between the two?

Exodus is bringing Earthling settlers through the gate to your new planet, and you need to settle them. Specifically you need to settle 20 of them, and up to 6 of them can join a single Earthling outpost. Emancipation is just sending 1,000 combat strength points of unit into the gate.

RedMagus posted:

Exodus feels like the Supremacy victory, i'm curious what people think about all the possible victory conditions. I assume you can do a positive and negative viewpoint for all of them, except maybe the Harmony options since that feels like you're very obviously subsuming yourself to the will of the entire planet

Not in my book, and that's not how I'd depict that ending. :v:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Exodus is bringing Earthling settlers through the gate to your new planet, and you need to settle them. Specifically you need to settle 20 of them, and up to 6 of them can join a single Earthling outpost. Emancipation is just sending 1,000 combat strength points of unit into the gate.

Not in my book, and that's not how I'd depict that ending. :v:

Looking forward to seeing how you do that then!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Sometimes, a step back is necessary to jump further away. I say Exodus.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Exodus

and "Lotaxl tanks" from the Ecotgenesis Pod fluff.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Contact makes me curious.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cythereal posted:

They're the ethereals, aren't they? :xcom:

Also exodus feels most in character but I'm genuinely interested in how you'd handle contact and harmony victories.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Soylent Pudding posted:

They're the ethereals, aren't they? :xcom:

Nope. :v:

RedMagus posted:

Looking forward to seeing how you do that then!

It won't be for a while. I certainly might do a Harmony game in the future, but not soon.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Exodus wouldn't even be a hard choice for them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm going to vote Exodus both for the historical relevance to INTEGR's remit and out of pure, personal, petty spite about making it to Earth before Matunde Barrow does.

Ultimate pettiness, get to earth before Matunde Barrow and empty it, so that when he arrives there is only a sign that says
"We moved to Mogli.
P.S. gently caress you Barrow"

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Exodus seems like the most in-character thing at the moment. I'm eager to see how you handle writing about the massive culture shock that the Old Earthlings are about to experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am calling voting closed with a clear victory for the Exodus Gate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Operation Lockpick

State of INTEGR, Turn 226

Weltgeist

Kastellan

Eintracht

Weisheit

Demut

Streben

If nothing else, INTEGR's trading partners in Banu Musa provided ample experience in establishing a solid defensive perimeter.

The vote had been cast. The first step towards returning to Earth would be an expansion of the colonial communications infrastructure.

INTEGR observers were amused to see ARC take a swing at Banu Musa as well. The result? Three American frigates heading to the bottom of Möglichkeit's warm seas. The ARV Amazon, Walmart, and Google were consigned to the dustbin of history just like their namesakes.

Utilities in INTEGR were provided by the government. Such necessities as electricity, water, recycling, and internet should never have been left to private interests to provide.

Mostly just defensive stuff here.

The expansion of INTEGR's terrestrial infrastructure was only the first step. Permanently incorporating Möglichkeit's perilous low orbit into that infrastructure would take some doing.

But nothing revolutionary, or even particularly time-consuming.

Having researched this, I will completely forget to actually build a lasercom satellite until the end of the update. :v:

Well. Perhaps the engineers' pessimism wasn't wholly unjustified.

No more required for this victory condition than it was for Emancipation, but skycranes are a Purity production structure so why not.

It's amazing what a well-organized library staffed by well-paid professionals can do for an institution, even the most advanced scientific research facilities on the planet. Librarians just aren't respected enough, even when they contribute immensely to society's well-being.

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last loose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

In that spirit, a new project began in Weltgeist. The so-called 'Memetwork' was one of the largest public experiments in social media engineering ever conceived, and formed an essential part of Operation Exodus. Culture shock could kill, and bridging the social and cultural gap between Old Earth and Möglichkeit would be at least as important as bridging the physical gap.

It's a wonder.

Sustainable industry continued to be a keystone of INTEGR's political roadmap.

The first permanent outposts on Möglichkeit's two moons were more for scientific purposes than anything else. Low-gravity environments were incredibly useful, even if travel between the lunar outposts and the planetary surface was rather more dangerous than travel between Old Earth and Luna.

Here for the skycranes. Nothing else here is of much interest for me.

Some degree of automation was inevitable for the modern defense perimeters, even in a society as distrustful of machines without human control as INTEGR, but the advantages of self-repairing defenses were enough to assuage the Defense Board's worries.

In the meantime, research into quantum physics had seized the Science Board's imaginations - and grant money.

Field Theory grants only Harmony points but awards a Purity-specific structure. :firaxis:

Sad but unsurprising, the Egyptian refugee settlement in the wildlands far to Weltgeist's south had died out long before explorers were finally able to penetrate the wilderness. The Egyptian and Canadian refugees in Weltgeist had long since assimilated into INTEGR, but Lena Ebner nevertheless declared a day of mourning for the lost souls.

Off-screen, I've had tanks and workers clearing out the tundra wildlands hex by hex, mainly for this reason.

The ethical questions surrounding the Memetwork were many and complex, but the positive effects were demonstrable.

Quantum power rendered fusion power finally obsolete, close to a thousand years after humanity unlocked that secret [with the Providence Discovery's help].

For reasons, this tech gives Harmony points but awards a high-end Purity structure. Mantles are fluffed as super high-tech quantum physics labs. What does that have to do with Purity? I don't know, and I don't think Firaxis does either.

Quantum field reaction answered the question of how to power the Exodus Gate. Building and maintaining the gate would require practical industrial nanotechnology.

By the looks of things, INTEGR was on the verge of finally conquering Möglichkeit's planetary system. Kessler Syndrome was severe enough without human orbital pollution.

One unexpected dividend of the Memetwork was a genuine spur in scientific progress. Gamification and bored but brilliant minds coupled with a sophisticated social media mechanism and access to cutting-edge research were a brew as potent as it was unexpected, much like the spirits brewed with fermented alien fruits and grains that came in the latest Commonwealth trade convoy.

Relations between INTEGR and the Protectorate warmed as the Initiative set to work on Project Exodus. Kavitha, too, dreamed of saving Earth's people, and had committed her people to meet the future as they were, rather than succumb to any transhuman folly. The two nations had been polite but distant on Old Earth. On what might become a new Earth, warmer relations beckoned in the spirit of sisterhood. Kavitha, of course, seemingly hadn't aged a day since she first appeared on Old Earth.

Kavitha's changed to her first Purity look.

Lena declined to ask why the Defense Board had neglected sonar nets when ARKs had been a key feature of INTEGR's colonization program since shortly after planetfall.

Once, the power of the sun had been the pinnacle of energy production. Now, the power of space itself, the quantum field underpinning baryonic matter.

I haven't had any diplomacy from Duncan in a while, but he's officially gone Harmony.

Nanotechnology had been held as the Holy Grail of technology for centuries on Old Earth. The reality was decidedly underwhelming compared to the fantasy, but still useful.

Though the military applications were of some interest.

This unlocks the Purity 'ultimate' unit, but I'm really just after Purity points.

Warming relations with the Protectorate and the looming dream of Exodus were an inspiration to many in the Initiative. Who needs gene mods, vat-grown aliens, cybernetics, or artificial intelligence when plain old humanity is building a better world and unlocking the secrets of the universe just fine as is?

Predator series fighter-bombers were not elegant, swift, or pretty, but they were magnificently effective, and every single one enjoyed a dedicated repair team. In the INTEGR Armed Forces, the pilots were considered far less important than the support crew.

The Hussar class LEV Tanks had been a disappointment to the Initiative military. Time would tell whether the new Uhlan class would fare any better.

Lena sighed as she read the latest reports. The xeno sanctuaries existed for the benefit of mankind, and were places to work, not tourist destinations.

I accidentally clicked out of the tech pop-up. LEV Destroyers would be right at home in Warhammer 40k. I probably won't build any.

I've heard of edible landscapes thanks to my addiction to kind of terrible TV cooking competition shows on Netflix and Food Network, but I think this would make even a Chopped judge do a double-take.

True terraforming of Möglichkeit was still a dream held by many in the Initiative. Researchers promising a revolution in seismology and vulcanology - and in the human ability to control them - had the Governing Board's interest. If nothing else, stabilizing the daily tremors that rumbled through Weltgeist would be worthwhile.

Just here for the Purity points, this only otherwise awards a useless wonder I'll never build.

Medical care for the expected Earthling refugees would be an issue and a half. Best to begin laying the groundwork and establishing the infrastructure now.

Seismic induction technology promised a huge variety of applications, most of them so dangerous that an entire new division of INTEGR's research oversight agency was created for them.

Archimedes' Lever improves city strike damage for the city it's built in and passively damages all enemy and alien units within two tiles every turn. If this is ever useful, something has gone horribly wrong.

Though the long-term prospects for genuinely terraforming the planet were promising.

Power-assist servomachinery had been a staple of Initiative industry for decades. Improving that capability promised both civilian and military applications.

Why is the tech that gives Augmenteries Supremacy/Purity and lead to a Purity specific tech?

One downside to the Memetwork: 'social media influencer' was becoming a thing again.

But that was a trifling concern to Lena, watching the Exodus Gate take shape just offshore from Weltgeist. The economy of water-based transportation was as true for this application has it had been on Earth since the dawn of civilization, and ARKs were already planned for settling most of the refugees. Even the veiled threats coming from the North Sea Alliance, and Duncan Hughes' utter lack of faith in humanity, could not dim the swell of pride in Lena's heart as she watched the Gate's progress. INTEGR had come so far for a simple reason: they believed that humanity could do better, be better. Not through implantation or augmentation, but by setting to work on the human spirit lying underneath it all. Pity it had only taken thousands of years for humanity to reach that point.

State of INTEGR, Turn 254

The Initiative held its breath as the Exodus Gate started construction. Far from being over, the Seeding was about to enter an entirely new phase.

Weltgeist, the largest city on Möglichkeit, was a frenzy of activity. Though most of the refugees would be settled on ARKs, a magrail spur had been built to quickly ferry some refugees inland towards a more stable settlement point.

Kastellan had never completely shed the would-be independent spirit of the Serbians who had settled the city, but tribal identities like Balkan nations had, by this point, almost entirely ceased to exist They were Initiative now, brothers and sisters of mankind.

Eintracht had gone through the same process. The Hungarian influence on the city mainly persisted in an abundance of local slang heard nowhere else in the Initiative.

Weisheit was a popular tourist destination in the Initiative for the abundance of climate-controlled terraformed habitats outside the city.

Demut had a rather more wary aspect as a gestalt being. If someone on Möglichkeit tried to stop Project Exodus, Demut would likely be on the front lines.

Streben's governing board had other things on their minds, still playing catch-up to the older settlements' infrastructure. A more militant approach would likely be in order soon.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We need a really good war. This play-through has been far too peaceful.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Cythereal posted:

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last loose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Still the greatest quote ever put to pen by Firaxis. Except maybe Leonard Nemoy going "Beep. Beep. Beep."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah we got quite a few rear end in a top hat factions I'm surprised they're content to bicker among themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah we got quite a few rear end in a top hat factions I'm surprised they're content to bicker among themselves.

I have not been noting every time Brasilia or ARC declares war on someone. Just assume that one or both of them declare war on someone, usually while signing a truce with someone else, about every four or five screenshots.

No one's picked a fight with me largely for the same reasons it never happened as Al Falah: I have a large, powerful military, and the AI notices that. So far, no one's reasons to dislike me have outweighed their fear of my military.

berryjon posted:

Still the greatest quote ever put to pen by Firaxis. Except maybe Leonard Nemoy going "Beep. Beep. Beep."

It's not my favorite quote from that game, but it felt appropriate and feels more prescient all the time.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

My usual playstyle in most civ games is to build a production powerhouse with a middling military. When someone declares war on me, I change all my production from wonders to military and absolutely dismantle their asses, sometimes leaving them with one city.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cythereal posted:

It's not my favorite quote from that game, but it felt appropriate and feels more prescient all the time.

Things have definitely changed since the 90s, though. I imagine this quote at the top of Facebook's privacy settings page.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Gatecrasher

Cybernetic augmentation remained illegal under INTEGR law except for medical purposes despite current research.

Telepresence - the use of remotely controlled machinery with humans at those controls - had been a feature of INTEGR industry for some time. Industrial and military researchers aimed to significantly expand those capabilities.

Purity points and another Purity unique unit.

The latest developments at ARC were a surprise to the Initiative: the Americans had decided to outlaw the development of sentient artificial intelligence. General Robotics proudly declared that technology existed to serve mankind, not to rule. While Initiative diplomats applauded ARC's change of course, many remained reserved concerning this abrupt shift in policy.

Now this, I was not expecting. Fielding's decided all of a sudden to go Purity/Supremacy and get a Purity outfit look. Well, whatever works.

Government sociologists also reported a number of new developments.

Helped in part by the Initiative's continual infrastructure development. Asked for a comment by an ARC diplomat at a state dinner, Lena commented that one only had to look at 21st century America to see that the health of a nation's transportation and power infrastructure was an excellent indicator of the health of the nation as a whole.

The approval of those diplomats regarding the Initiative's latest technological developments filled Lena with shame.

My worker construction speed is already as high as it goes, and the Aegis is a useful unit I'll probably never make. Its key gimmick is that it's a ranged unit that can attack twice per turn if it doesn't move.

Oh well. Expanding the use of telepresence and surrogacy to orbital operations was already underway.

But all that was a secondary priority. The hour had arrived.

The door was open.

Battle lines were drawn.

The means to safeguard the refugees were ready.

The gateway opened in the North Sea, just off the shore of the town of Cuxhaven at the mouth of the Elbe River. INTEGR as a political party on Earth had vanished centuries ago, but the German government endured despite famine, epidemic, drought, pollution, and rising sea levels - the gateway was in fact situated precisely above the sunken ruins of the original town of Cuxhaven, but close to the resettled shoreline. Officially, the German government refused to sanction INTEGR's offer to the people of Earth: come to Eine Zweite Möglichkeit and take that second chance on a world that hasn't been mortally wounded by humanity's greed.

Unofficially, one of the largest population movements in human history had begun.

So, this victory is awful to play out. Every turn, you have to click the gate to summon an Earthling refugee. Earthlings move at one tile per turn, and you have to settle twenty of them. Earthling settlements follow the same rules of a three-tile exclusion radius as a city, but the good news is you can settle six Earthlings in one settlement so you only need four altogether. Rising Tide makes this much less annoying by letting you found settlements at sea (albeit only in shallow water) and Earthlings move two tiles in the water. I built a magrail spur from Weltgeist out to one of the few non-tundra spots on the mainland here that's three tiles away from Weltgeist, so this is where the first batch is going.

New Berlin was founded.

More than anything, it was Möglichkeit's rings that stunned the Earthlings. The ring system had mostly become a source of annoyance to the Initiative, but almost without fail the sky was the first thing the refugees stared at and took photos of. For the government, the rings were at least a nuisance that had been overcome.

The biological sciences had been admittedly neglected by Initiative researchers. Some aimed to correct that.

"INTEGR scientists discover Secrets of the Human Brain! The discovery inspires a burst of research!" - The Weltgeist Chronicle

In hindsight, government investment in sociology research was long overdue.

Seriously, this game talks more about cultural memes than that one Metal Gear Solid game I watched an LP of once upon a time with the magnet boss that would not shut up about memes.

We now have next-generation explosives - the civlopedia describes nanothermite warheads as having yields comparable to nuclear fission weapons, without the radioactivity. Hooray?

Efficiency and sustainability remained watchwords for the Initiative.

"It's the gravity! I thought I was just tired, but gravity on this planet is 1.1 times Earth standard! I hate this place!"

"The stew in the government-issue ration boxes is neon green. Why is the stew neon green?"

"I wake up every morning and I see rings in the sky outside my window."

"The sky is purple."

"I can barely understand you Initiative people. You may have landed here okay, but I don't think the German language survived the trip intact."

- The Weltgeist Chronicle, interviewing Earthling refugees in New Berlin and asking what's stood out to them the most about Eine Zweite Möglichkeit

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

ALL ABOARD THE CHURCH TANK!
PRAY WHILE YOU SHOOT!

Warhammer 40k with the serial numbers filed off.

quote:

Seriously, this game talks more about cultural memes than that one Metal Gear Solid game I watched an LP of once upon a time with the magnet boss that would not shut up about memes.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Yeah, uh, this sort of thing is the reason I cannot see Purity as in any way the good guys. If you're not Harmony, then a Harmony civ probably sees you as kind of close minded for not embracing the planet they are now on, but it never feels like they would hate Purity civs for staying human or Supremacy civs for going all in on mechanical advancements. Likewise, it feels like Supremacy civs mostly just want to go their own way, and look on the other civ types as being dumb for not enhancing themselves when possible, but still as fundamentally human. They may not be as interested in working to help baseline humans by the end of their tree, but it always feels to me more like that is because they have all this stuff to enhance humans already, and if someone doesn't take that option at that point they probably have their own way to go and can feel free to do that.

Purity though, between this and the rank 13 quote: 'Actual human beings everywhere now are more important than potential 'improved' humans that may or may not exist in the future.', it feels like Purity just doesn't really see the other types as humans. I can kind of now see Purity as not incredibly backwards assholes because of things brought up in this LP, but I can't just shake the feeling of Purity being xenophobic in the extreme.

It doesn't really help that there isn't much chance for Purity INTGER to actually interact with a group of transhumans, since now it is the endgame and most AI civs have, what, 6 or 7 points in their primary affinity? INTGER has 5 each for it's secondaries, these people are just barely starting to touch on what their affinity means, there isn't going to be so much as an rear end in a top hat racer with cybernetic legs, let alone full transhumanism.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashsaber posted:

If you're not Harmony, then a Harmony civ probably sees you as kind of close minded for not embracing the planet they are now on, but it never feels like they would hate Purity civs for staying human or Supremacy civs for going all in on mechanical advancements.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Well, huh, I guess that didn't really stick out to me too much when I was thinking about all that. I went over to the wiki and looked up all the affinity level quotes and nothing from them struck me as particularly hateful of the other affinities in general.

There's as many interpretations of each affinity as there are people who know about them, probably more. Even in universe you can imagine each civ that goes for a certain affinity goes about things very differently, like one Supremacy civ going straight for cybernetics and mostly ignoring AIs and the like while another goes all in on robots instead, or one Harmony civ mostly tries to figure out how to peacefully deal with the local flora and fauna while taking advantage of them while other Harmony civs would adapt themselves to the environment but still wipe out all the local bugs to ensure their own place in the ecosystem. And of course, just about any one could be an rear end in a top hat or could be very chill towards everyone else.

I tend towards optimism, so while there may be guys like Duncan here who want to go full Borg but Biotech, I tend towards seeing everyone as chill unless proven otherwise.The problem is I just can't really see Purity civs being chill like that. It just feels like it goes largely against the little bit of solid details we get on the affinity.

I really would like to see Purity as also mostly chill though, so if anyone can give me a good idea how someone from a Purity civ could visit a nearby Supremacy civ and not recoil in horror from Bob the construction worker and his three extra mechanical arms, it would be much appreciated.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Purity can be the good guys but I agree it's hard to see them being chill with other affinities - they're defined by what they are not more than what they are, and seeing them as the good guys implies a rejection of the others.

Supremacy might see the other affinities as hippies/luddites, but it's an open question how they would react - they might think this would justify crushing them like worms with robot armies, or that the Purity civ is just a misguided, early-stage-development version of their own who they otherwise tolerate fine. Similar goes for Harmony.

I don't really see this extending the other way. If you take the question of having your society planned by sentient AI, the sentient-AI-society may not care if others choose not to follow suit, but it's hard to see how you could outlaw sentient AI for being hubristic, dangerous madness without being inherently hostile to the sentient-AI-society. "Yeah, our whole society is horrified by the idea of splicing alien DNA into our own, or discarding our fleshy shells for robot bodies, but if you guys want to do that you're cool" is an odd position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

I think it really comes down to an issue of the rest of the social gestalt around the affinity. Supremacy and Harmony tend to jive pretty well with fairly wide ranges of real-world popular (if fictional) viewpoints (Supremacy being laid back techno-utopians a la the Culture or detached, emotionless murderbots like <insert robot uprising/techno-dystopia/Borg-alikes of your choice here>; Harmony being n-th degree sci fi hippies or obsessive biohackers wanting to lead humanity into the next era), though both Supremacy and Harmony have cooked into their affinities the idea of going beyond basic humanity to defining a new normal, whatever flavor that is.

Purity can certainly seem incredibly, even staunchly rigid in its dedication to the sacrosanct nature of the human body and mind, with a great distaste for or outright aversion to any sort of major modification of the human corpus or human agency, but I think there's a way they could be chill with the other affinities, even if their affinity moreso than the others takes on a religious cast in its fluff. It would be safe to say that there would certainly be sects of a Purity society that would be decidedly more fanatical in their dedication to the immutable human form and would treat others with extreme suspicion, but it's equally as likely that your average Joe Purity Person could look around at the others, shrug, say "It's not for me", and live and let live past that.

It's something you see happen all the time today. Take something as simple as tattoos and piercings. Lots of people have them, they're enjoying greater and greater acceptance in the workplace, and while some people may have deep-seated aversions to them, most people who aren't adorned quite honestly don't care. I enjoy the aesthetics of tattoos and other body mods, but I don't have any because honestly it's just not something I've ever felt strongly about one way or the other. There's no real ideology to it, it's just not for me. I have yet to come across anything I'd want to add permanently to my body, but I think it's cool and neat that other people decorate their bodies as they will.

Trying to write that on a societal level, rather than an individual level, is a bit more complicated, certainly, but I don't think it's that big of a stretch to frame it as more of a strong cultural preference rather than a quasi-religious, quasi-legal imperative. Maybe it's just that the people of INTEGR, collectively, aren't particularly interested in modifying themselves like that, for any number of reasons, with the occasional group that's Incredibly Dedicated to the Ideal.