Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The way they portray the rapture is so corny, like there are tons of light balls (the raptured people) that just sprout out of the oceans, like uniformly spread across the globe. I wasn't aware we had so many aquatic christians on earth.

So long and thanks for all the Jesus fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A lot of low budget movies are "released" at some festival and then pick up a distribution deal and then a slightly larger theater run and then a home video release a year or more later.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I couldn't make it through 30 seconds of the trailer

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I recently acquired a copy of 1982's 'Q: The Winged Serpent', starring David Carradine, Shaft, and that guy from Law & Order. Honestly it looks amazing, can't wait.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nCE3xpqBNdM

And look at this loving poster

Imagined has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Sep 3, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My buddy asked me to get the 1994 Martin Short vehicle 'Clifford' on my Plex server. I'd never heard of it before, but apparently the then-40-year-old Short plays a 10 year-old boy.

Anyway, this is from Roger Ebert's 0.5 star review from the time:

Roger Ebert posted:

A movie like this is a deep mystery. It asks the question: What went wrong? "Clifford" is not bad on the acting, directing or even writing levels. It fails on a deeper level still, the level of the underlying conception. Something about the material itself is profoundly not funny. Irredeemably not funny, so that it doesn't matter what the actors do, because they are in a movie that should never have been made.

and later

quote:

'To return to the underlying causes for the movie's failure: What we have here is a suitable case for deep cinematic analysis. I'd love to hear a symposium of veteran producers, marketing guys and exhibitors discuss this film. It's not bad in any usual way. It's bad in a new way all its own. There is something extraterrestrial about it, as if it's based on the sense of humor of an alien race with a completely different relationship to the physical universe. The movie is so odd, it's almost worth seeing just because we'll never see anything like it again. I hope.'

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Feb 10, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Leonard Part 6 was a crime against humanity. Movies like that I'm always reminded of Ebert's quote about 'I'm offended that you even thought this would entertain me.'

We watched a bad movie the either night called 'Night of the Creeps'. It's the tamest, most bloodless 80s horror movie ever. Seriously: no nudity, and anytime anyone but a zombie dies the camera cuts away to some blood splatter. But it does have some hilariously scene chewing performances and some fun practical effects, and most important it's short.

I also appreciated the handicapped main character being a total dickhead and getting killed halfway through and then never mentioned again just because it breaks your expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Len posted:

So I don't know exactly how DVD making works, but I would assume copy protection costs extra and Back Woods (2001) has it

I'm pretty sure it's baked into the format ala Blu-ray. It's just been defeated for so long we don't even notice it.