Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Duckula posted:

Just watched Doom Annihilation. Yikes is all I can say.

I liked it. :shrug: It's a totally cromulent DTV action/horror thing, of a type we used to get all the time in the 90s and 00s but don't often nowadays, and it's a whole hell of a lot more faithful to the games than the 2005 Rock one was, which gave me a lot of goodwill for it (it feels like a fan film that got turned official at times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kind of feel like Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever was trying to do a Shoot 'Em Up/Crank thing, but it was too early, too janky and not tongue-in-cheek enough to be received that way

e: Like I don't feel like it fully deserves the reputation it has as just being a complete trash fire, it's bad but I've genuinely seen worse big-budget Hollywood movies that were received better

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

i truly hope you aren't implying crank is bad. Crank (and crank 2) being really really good is one of the hills i'm fully willing to die on.

...no? I'm not partial to the first Crank (Crank 2 is good though) but my point was more that, like

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever is a movie where the plot, characters, and etc are very blatantly just a vehicle to get from crazy action sequence to crazy action sequence, and I kind of suspect the reason it's regarded as "OMG WORST MOVIE EVER" and not "meh" is because critics in 2001-2002 didn't know what the gently caress they were looking at with this

release it a decade later and that's what about a third of the action genre looks like