Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is that Cowboys and Aliens has the same premise.

Battlefield Earth makes a lot more sense considering it was meant to be a Scientology vehicle and is based on a book that from all I've heard is even worse and even more tedious and boring, with the last half of the book literally being about the bureaucratic consequences.

I'm vaguely remembered of Thor and how both movies get jokes made about how they use dutch angles all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

In Cowboys and Aliens Harrison Ford goes "What are they going to do, buy something?" when he's told about their plan. But yea it being a Scientology text explains a lot. The villains are Psyklos, which is meant to be Psychologists, because El Ron hated them. Also has an slave Alien Race the Chinkos, because El Ron hated Asian people.

I think part of the idea was meant to be that the humans are as baffled by the aliens as native americans are baffled by the violence and greed of white settlers.

My guess was Battlefield Earth was made partly by Scientology true believers, mostly by people who just wanted to fulfil the contractual obligation and get it out the door and get away from these terrifying freaky Scientology people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is what happens when you do coke with the right people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schubalts posted:

Reminds me of that Batman TAS episode where an athlete takes super steroids mixed with timber wolf hormones and becomes a werewolf.

BTAS had so many furry transformation mutagens that by Batman Beyond they're a commercially available recreational drug. (which gets banned because drugs r bad mkay)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

American Pie sequels sound like Land Before Time sequels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The direct to video children's animated film market was a quiet plague of the 90s and 00s.

The craziest poo poo to me is still that The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars is actually based on one of the original books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me just picture a Nemesis the Warlock movie.