Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Clownpiece is not an animal.

umm everything is an animal, except like, trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fairies are actually a kind of moss

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
clownpiece is not an animal, clownpiece is an abomination

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Clownpiece is the most dangerous animal of all: an American

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
So are the rest of the Hell people, though. The "Welcome to Hell" shirts are a brand like the "I Love New York" shirts and everyone keeps saying "welcome" in English.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Old Hell gets its own T-shirts too though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 16, 2023

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Did my first clear on the new game. Comparison to PoFV so far:
- It seems a lot easier to shoot down bosses. A single application of Reimu's level 1 pretty much erases the first boss attack. On the other hand I was playing on Hard Story, in Lunatic Match mode it might be different.
- I cannot tell what any of the ability cards do lol
- Having charging and scope be on the bomb key instead of the fire key feels weird. You also can't fire at the same time as holding scope, so clearing spirits (and thus white bullets) seems a lot finickier.
- I can't understand how the life system works. Half the time I get hit it doesn't seem to remove a heart. The enemy doesn't seem to use the heart system at all, it just dies arbitrarily at some point.
- Not sure how Ex attacks work. In PoFV they're just put on screen as the result of clearing spirits, but here they get a pause and banner like charged spells so there might be a mechanic I'm missing.
- Marisa's Ex lasers go diagonal now :wtc:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Redmark posted:

Did my first clear on the new game. Comparison to PoFV so far:
- It seems a lot easier to shoot down bosses. A single application of Reimu's level 1 pretty much erases the first boss attack. On the other hand I was playing on Hard Story, in Lunatic Match mode it might be different.
- I cannot tell what any of the ability cards do lol
- Having charging and scope be on the bomb key instead of the fire key feels weird. You also can't fire at the same time as holding scope, so clearing spirits (and thus white bullets) seems a lot finickier.
- I can't understand how the life system works. Half the time I get hit it doesn't seem to remove a heart. The enemy doesn't seem to use the heart system at all, it just dies arbitrarily at some point.
- Not sure how Ex attacks work. In PoFV they're just put on screen as the result of clearing spirits, but here they get a pause and banner like charged spells so there might be a mechanic I'm missing.
- Marisa's Ex lasers go diagonal now :wtc:

My rough understanding is that Reimu is the best character in the game to an unfair extent. The Brawl Metaknight of Touhou 19.
After that it's Chiyari, I think, who breaks the AI in single player and barfs so much on the other screen in multiplayer. Maybe that makes her also Metaknight.

Then....Seiran?

And then after that it's a sliding scale of "how bad are you" since they lack the strength or ability to handle other attacks.

e: Oh also you get a barrier that takes a hit for you. You start each stage with it and you can recharge it with some level attacks I think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it takes two hits to lose a life, and you can recover the barrier by doing a level 3 or higher charge attack.

Also in story mode the bosses don't play by the same rules and will lose after you defeat a particular version of their boss attack (which they can summon without using meter). They also automatically counter every level 3 or higher charge attack with one of their own, but I'm not sure how exactly that advances the fight.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Thanks for the explanation about the shield mechanic.
Honestly this is quite a strange gameplay pattern. Level 3s don't actually clear bullets, but when you get hit you get long invulnerability and refills the meter. So I'm clearing Lunatic Story pretty smoothly just by repeatedly Level 3 shielding and getting hit without even understanding how I'm supposed to dodge the spell cards.
In PoFV you can spam level 2s but unless you're in the 999999 bonus or are Marisa it pressures your spell bar. Here I'm just infinitely looping :confused:

edit: tried out a round of Lunatic Match. So far I feel like the Bomb button is really overloaded in this game, whereas shot barely matters. Since the scope slows down bullets inside the area, there's a massive incentive to have it up for difficult patterns. Meanwhile your regular shot isn't even clearing waves of basic fairies. So you're always charging, either for Level 1s or Level 3s.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 17, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

El Burbo posted:

Fairies are actually a kind of moss
petition for this to be the new thread title

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Is Touhou Hell basically just Ugly Americans Hell, complete with being bought out and getting redeveloped to be more trendy?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not familiar with that show, but from googling it... not really? The basic joke about Hell (or rather, the Ministry of Right and Wrong) is that they are an underfunded government organization who are constantly looking for ways to cut costs and raise money. So the move from Old Hell to New Hell was done for financial reasons, probably because property values in New Hell are dirt cheap. It's only later that we get any picture of Hell outside of the Ministry, where it's described as a libertarian hellhole.

Hell is 100% supposed to be America though, ZUN even confirms that in an interview somewhere (using the logic that since the Moon is China, their natural enemy must be America). This is why they all speak English, and are devoted to a conception of "freedom" that just means the most powerful people can do whatever they want to the rest. Zanmu even briefly mentions their military interventionism in this game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It sure makes me happy to know Clownpiece is canonically american

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Clarste posted:

Not familiar with that show, but from googling it... not really? The basic joke about Hell (or rather, the Ministry of Right and Wrong) is that they are an underfunded government organization who are constantly looking for ways to cut costs and raise money. So the move from Old Hell to New Hell was done for financial reasons, probably because property values in New Hell are dirt cheap. It's only later that we get any picture of Hell outside of the Ministry, where it's described as a libertarian hellhole.

Hell is 100% supposed to be America though, ZUN even confirms that in an interview somewhere (using the logic that since the Moon is China, their natural enemy must be America). This is why they all speak English, and are devoted to a conception of "freedom" that just means the most powerful people can do whatever they want to the rest. Zanmu even briefly mentions their military interventionism in this game.

No, no, this makes the Ugly Americans comparisons even more apt, with Demons being treated in the show like Old Money WASPS.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/zinkyapx/status/1698809491309957379?s=20

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I shouldn't be this bothered by something being reductivist and sassy for meme potential BUT ACKSHUALLY
1. That's the Touhou 16 DEMO hence why they aren't being properly pressed
2. He actually rented out the duplicators used by a popular doujin music label
3. He has friends who help him with this kind of stuff

"Why pay a pro" annoys me the most because it implies no one involved is actually making a living off of this/being compensated fairly.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

y u heff to be mad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zun deserves proper respect

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Another year another poll

https://maribelhearn.com/thvote

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mamizou up 4 places. Shoulda been higher but solid poll.

E: Hecatia down 9 though so perhaps not worth it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Satori should be higher but both komeiji sisters are very good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

Satori should be higher but both komeiji sisters are very good

:hai:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this ace attorney-themed fangame got translated to English. it's only available on dlsite.

https://twitter.com/HakanaiBlue/status/1707795352785506718

https://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ244256.html/?locale=en_US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dckvmWB3R3M

It's basically all gags, but pretty funny at points. Caution: might actually spoil classic sound novel Kamaitachi no Yoru/Banshee's Last Cry for you. Or make you more interested in playing it?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Toyosatomimi no Miko way too low, it's clear democracy just does not work.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

lets hang out posted:

this ace attorney-themed fangame got translated to English. it's only available on dlsite.

https://twitter.com/HakanaiBlue/status/1707795352785506718

https://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ244256.html/?locale=en_US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dckvmWB3R3M

It's basically all gags, but pretty funny at points. Caution: might actually spoil classic sound novel Kamaitachi no Yoru/Banshee's Last Cry for you. Or make you more interested in playing it?

Yeah, this is a pretty great shitpost game about stuff beyond just Ace Attorney, it goes everywhere really. Unfortunately it's gonna be on DLSite only due to hard namedropping a buncha stuff.
The localization process was definitely pretty tough.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/richard_effendi/status/1709921661695484310?s=46&t=RfhlX-UN9YMscISDFJ-6Yw

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Scandalous!!!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I hope they are purified by Nitori ripping their Shirikodamas out

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

8 years later and LoLK still has one of the most banging soundtracks i've heard

it also has clownpiece!!!! lmao

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Piece is a good fairy.... for a clown to like!!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ammat The Ankh posted:

if that is the case, call me Bozo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also i beat Luna Nights not too long ago and it was king poo poo. final boss busted my balls but it was drat rewarding to beat her. extremely good game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

sign me up, because I stan Clownpiece

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ammat The Ankh posted:

then put me in the clown car and call me Susie

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

sign me up, because I stan Clownpiece

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

look at this dork

she's cute

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lost branch of legend is probably the best STS-like game outside of STS once again proving touhou fan games are often the best in their subgenre. but it could use some more kosuzu.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I like Lost Branch of Legend but I think it has a ton of issues coming from it being tuned for people who really wanted extreme difficult STS gameplay. Also the map system is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The Moon Rabbit encounter's difficulty was unhinged for approximately 5 patches in a row.
Now it's more like taking a hammer to your kneecaps than to your brain.