Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ultima66 posted:

I like Lost Branch of Legend but I think it has a ton of issues coming from it being tuned for people who really wanted extreme difficult STS gameplay. Also the map system is bad.

I never made it far in STS, but I've beaten lunatic for all characters in Lost Branch. Maybe that's just a matter of motivation?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm kinda confused by that yeah. The baseline difficulty feels easier than STS to me. Haven't played enough to get to lunatic mode but I probably will soon later this week.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

LBoL isn't too bad in general but there's a few encounters that are/were bizarrely overtuned, and if you pick Sakuya then you're just asking for suffering without a good start.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m all aboard the Steam Deck train, so I’m just waiting for (and hoping that) Lost Branch to get controller support.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

For context I'm comparing higher ascensions in STS to L7. I did several runs of L7 attempts and made it to the secret boss a few times but didn't finish a run early on. Most of the time elites were completely unwinnable without spell card and if I got to the boss with spell card it was usually a very close survive. Any run without card I'd just die for sure. Stuff like Lunatic Aya were just absolutely miserable.

And then I heard they had a patch that made fights after act 1 drastically harder without making anything else easier but I didn't really play that much after the patch I got all the unlocks on. It was one of the earlier patches though, it might be different now.

Also to be frank I'm sure I'm much worse at A20 than I remember but I did end up getting an A20 heart kill on every character at least once.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What changed my L7 runs from hopeless to somewhat viable is deciding to just skip all skippable Elites in Act 1 and 3.
Getting 1 possibly useful, possibly worthless Exhibit is not worth the risk of running into Aya, Orin or Doremy if your build can't deal with their tricks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, while it's common sense in roguelikes to take short-term penalties for long-term rewards, the risk-return for that isn't actually that great in this game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Oh yeah, I don't think I ever showed this off in this thread.

I'm leading the development of a new Touhou leaderboard, Silent Selene. It's still a bit bare-bones, but a lot of people are already using it, which I'm very happy about. (Including Japanese players; I'm glad they're willing to put up with the extremely incomplete Japanese TL the site has now.)

It's really nice to feel like I'm giving back to the community. Let me know what you think!

ArchiveLurker
Sep 5, 2009
Bit late to the Lost Branch chat but I feel that player power level is generally a lot higher. It's a bit hard to make direct comparisons because of the differences in energy but cards in Lost Branch generally feel a stronger than their equivalents in Spire. The game is also much more open about save scumming than Spire. I have yet to push past Spire A15 but have gotten a L7 win in Lost Branch.

Do agree on map design being bad though. The map generation algorithm is really rigid and your path choices almost always boil down to choosing one of 4 branches every 5 nodes. You can't really switch off a branch once you chosen it, but since all the branches converge after 4 nodes there's no long term impact. Branches are generally all pretty much the same other than choice of gap/shop anyway. In Spire I'm excited to get winged boots since it means more rests/shops/elites than I normally could get. In Lost Branch you're always capped to 3 elites and you always have to sacrifice shops for gaps regardless of path so winged boots are useless.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH52EaZxdz8

M is Real 2401

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The M of course standing for Maeryberry

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mima
Mima is an elf?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm jealous of people that get to drink and chat with ZUN

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
How is LostWord these days? I stopped playing shortly after the chapter 3 released.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They just released Mima so anyone who made a blood oath to only play it when Mima comes out is now forced to play it.

That's all I know.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Draga posted:

How is LostWord these days? I stopped playing shortly after the chapter 3 released.

Do you like Lighthearted Doujin Stories and would like one a month? Would you like to collect a bunch of touhous, including some weirdo sicko mode variants with myriad paragraphs of text going into intricate detail about koishi spending a billion years in a rock? If either/both of those appeal, it's pretty alright - the event stories come regularly and are reasonably cute, and you get enough currency to pull monthly or every other month depending on unit rarity, with good rates & pity (though some are gated from being useful at all by extremely time or moneygated resources and they've been putting out more of those over the years).

Do you want actual gameplay and that's the most important thing? Then no, it's absolute garbage, the content is either vapidly easy or incredibly strict and not in a fun way since 80% of the difficulty comes from just outright shutting off your ability to do poo poo.

I've kept up with it since launch since collection and a monthly dripfeed of cute lighthearted stories tickle my fancy, but that's basically all it is.

i'm not kidding about the myriads of paragraphs and koishi billion years rock thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

lost branch of legend is probably the best STS-like game outside of STS once again proving touhou fan games are often the best in their subgenre. but it could use some more kosuzu.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It is incredibly cute that Reimu is the type of person to "cry her eyes out at a sappy love novel", according to one of the lost word comics

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
you know, while i like kosuzu a lot, i find it kind of funny that touhou fangames for the longest time were just like "characters introduced AFTER subterranean animism? hmmm, i dunno..." but people LOVE to put kosuzu in things.

not complaining, it's just funny. everyone loves the funny book girl.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Thankfully, Lost Branch of Legend goes out of its way to not do that. It even had Megumu as a boss like less than half a year after 18 came out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

It is incredibly cute that Reimu is the type of person to "cry her eyes out at a sappy love novel", according to one of the lost word comics

One of my favorite Wild and Horned Hermit issues is the one where all of Reimu’s friends get together and try to cheer her up because she’s discouraged about not getting a clean win in any of the recent incidents. Except the reason she’s acting depressed is just that she’s been staying up all night reading novels instead of sleeping.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1kfVGkBfvY

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

oh hells yes

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

BTW that cave developed touhou game came out

its a phone gacha and it doesnt seem to be launching on my phone so i dont know what its like

heres the site

https://gensoueclipse.jp/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

the art is kinda cool

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's got Kosuzu, so that's something at least.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

i dont think shes a playable character since she doesn't have the fancy effects on her splash art (neither do rinnosuke, akyuu, or miyoi)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's too many touhou gachas.

E: I respect Komachi and Mioyoi being there though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 23, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No playable characters newer than Futo though, it appears.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

If it doesn't have Miko it's not worth playing

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If it doesn't have Miko it's not worth playing

good news

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 23, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

!!!!!!
Wow great news for me, the number one kosuzu fan on the forums.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

E: I respect Komachi and Mioyoi being there though.

i will now buy your product

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
All gacha is reprehensible and I shan't touch it. Enjoy.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
What you could do instead is by fangames on Steam, some of which are on sale.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1998530/Yoiyami_Dancers_Twilight_Danmaku_Dancers/

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of fangames Mystia's Izakaya DLC4 is finally translated. Looks like the usual stuff; two new areas, new guests and meals, costumes, music etc.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
https://twitter.com/phenomenonAtoZ/status/1742797932968227135
Things that were supposed to kill Touhou, listed by year:
2004: Rozen Maiden
Nanoha
Haruhi
Lucky Star
Vocaloid
K-On
OreImo
Madoka
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
Kancolle
Love Live
Girls & Panzer
FGO
Kemono Friends
Vtubers
Demon Slayer
Covid
Uma Musume
Spy X Family
2023: Bocchi the Rock

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some of those don't seem like they are especially similar or like a threat to Touhou's popularity at all.

Who's looking at Spy X Family and thinking "Man, how are all the touhou fans going to resist jumping ship to a het family sitcom!"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

noted threat to Touhou, seasonal romcom anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The only ones I've seen historically compared to Touhou are those with large female casts, like Kancolle. And by Uma Musume people have stopped thinking the gacha of the week can kill touhou.

Plus, I've seen more more crossover fanart of Kikuri and Suika than I've seen people treating Bocchi as a competitor.