Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ciaphas posted:

ugh yep it's another god damned kidney stone :cripes: :cry:

how do you get kidney stones?

is it genetic? the only person in my entire extended family and friend group, that ive ever heard of in my life, hundreds of people, the only one ive known to get a kidney stone is my cousin who went to live in america and got one twice over the last ~30 years

and we eat like poo poo in denmark, to be sure. lots of podagra around for people over 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

variety of potential causes, but generally its from large quantities of caffeine and calcium

once you've had one though your chances of developing more, even if you make dietary changes, skyrockets

mystes
May 31, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

variety of potential causes, but generally its from large quantities of caffeine and calcium

once you've had one though your chances of developing more, even if you make dietary changes, skyrockets
That's unfair

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

what about "if youve had one, its likely youll have another cause of something in your life or genes, but not the fact that you had one before, thats a weird causation"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but thx for info re nutrients

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

once you get run over by a car one time, the chance to get run over again by another car skyrockets

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

no, having one really does predispose you for having another. was told this after i had to go to the ER to get the previous one out

being a soda junkie didn't help i'm sure though, at some point i guess i completely forgot caffeine is a contributor :cripes: what a self-own

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

idk the word for it, the hidden variable or something. "if you get caught taking a poo poo in your boss's desk drawer one time, its way more likely youre gonna get caught doing it again than if you never did it"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ciaphas posted:

no, having one really does predispose you for having another. was told this after i had to go to the ER to get the previous one out

being a soda junkie didn't help i'm sure though, at some point i guess i completely forgot caffeine is a contributor :cripes: what a self-own

like it changes your gut biome or something?

e: im going all in my body idgaf. soda booze smokes. but i dont feel like poo poo, got muscle tone, not too much fat. no kids, just gonna finish writing up my books in the next decade & im good. anything after that is bonus

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 26, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

once you get run over by a car one time, the chance to get run over again by another car skyrockets

i feel like it’s the opposite. if you die from being run over by a car then you can’t get run over again

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

like it changes your gut biome or something?

I think it’s something like whatever changes have to occur to your kidneys to develop stones in the first place aren’t able to be reversed, which predisposes you to developing more. if you don’t change whatever caused it in the first place, then further damage or whatever causes you to just produce more and more

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eeyo posted:

i feel like it’s the opposite. if you die from being run over by a car then you can’t get run over again

you would be wrong. the body gets thrown into the other lane

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

I think it’s something like whatever changes have to occur to your kidneys to develop stones in the first place aren’t able to be reversed, which predisposes you to developing more. if you don’t change whatever caused it in the first place, then further damage or whatever causes you to just produce more and more

ok yeah, a buildup of some kind i can see that. cant really make it go lower, but you can try to prevent the overspill again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Carthag Tuek posted:

if youre otherwise healthy & had your shots, covid most likely wont be bad. just a flu, 99.99999% of the time

but you should kill that guy anyway

last time i had the actual flu i literally could not stand up for 3 days and it hurt to breathe deeply, sharp pains in my lungs, for 3 weeks afterward

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fart simpson posted:

last time i had the actual flu i literally could not stand up for 3 days and it hurt to breathe deeply, sharp pains in my lungs, for 3 weeks afterward

yeah it sucks but its not like borrelia or bubonic plague. it puts you under and you feel like shitt, but with good health and good care youre gonna be fine.

tbf my perspective might be skewed. i hardly ever get somatically sick*. just tired for a while, maybe throw up or poo poo, but thats it

* its all up in the ol noggin; i get sick in there literally all the time

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Kidney stones haver here. I also eventually had lithotripsy done as well, though it was a complete failure in my case apparently. My kidneys still resemble a quarry, and the only thing I got out of the deal was pissing blood for a couple days.

:hf: Calcium Oxalate gang

mystes posted:

I think you might have accidentally installed insecurity cameras

:ohdear:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

Just saw the doc & I think I got a new kidney stone developing. picking up some antibiotics just in case it's just a UTI then getting a scan this afternoon

drink some water. hit the gym. lawyer up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

ugh yep it's another god damned kidney stone :cripes: :cry:

oh. oh no, Im just hearing this for the first time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

every time a poster mentions kidney stones, an angel drinks a glass of water

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PokeJoe posted:

drink some water. hit the gym. lawyer up

PokeJoe posted:

every time a poster mentions kidney stones, an angel drinks a glass of water

i tried to drink a sip of water ever time s goon mentioned lawyers but that almost killed me

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my brother had his parathyroid removed because for a year his dick was a minigun shootin stones

meanwhile I’m consuming 300-600mg of caffeine per day and haven’t had any :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my dock shoots swimmers. how do I get the stone upgrade and is it better against naval units

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it self damages for -5 constitution, wellbeing, and mental health

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what about naval units though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

no

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wtf is even the point then

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there isn't one, it's horrible, i feel awful

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

urologist isn't available until next thursday, cool, cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ciaphas posted:

urologist isn't available until next thursday, cool, cool

you ever been to mexico?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fart simpson posted:

you ever been to mexico?
no

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

have u tried: 6er of Miller lite

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

something too think about

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i should know what the hell you're talking about but i don't :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im suggesting medical tourism to avoid the long wait times of american healthcare op

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh right. sorry, short on sleep, not thinking too good. see how i feel tomorrow i guess

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PokeJoe posted:

my dock shoots swimmers. how do I get the stone upgrade and is it better against naval units

It's more of a nerf than a buff tbqh.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

per YOSPOS orders I spent the weekend relaxing and watching the motorbike racing. still positive for covid today, I feel unusually low energy even for a Monday. my skin is quite painful which I believe is a (hopefully transient) neuropathy, also the knee that I broke a couple of years ago is painful and I guess a bit of reactive arthritis.

fingers crossed this all resolves soon but man it is some bullshit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

knox_harrington posted:

per YOSPOS orders I spent the weekend relaxing and watching the motorbike racing. still positive for covid today, I feel unusually low energy even for a Monday. my skin is quite painful which I believe is a (hopefully transient) neuropathy, also the knee that I broke a couple of years ago is painful and I guess a bit of reactive arthritis.

fingers crossed this all resolves soon but man it is some bullshit

idgi. isnt covid over?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah joint ache and stiffness was one of my main symptoms when I had covid. I was coughing and stuff but never popped a fever or lost smell/taste [although paxlovid mouth made me almost wish I had]