Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Joaquin is cool and good, kind of a shame he never ultimately got the big money move to a top European club (Valencia lol). He gives hope to out-of-shape guys like me over 35 to go out there, have a good attitude, be competitive and enjoy yourself.

Decent write up by Sid Lowe that's not too huffy of his own farts about it: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/dec/09/joaquins-feat-is-a-hat-trick-for-the-ages-19-years-in-the-making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Angry Lobster posted:

Good ol' Valencia.

In a league of dysfunction, pettiness and financial basketcases like La Liga, it's pretty impressive that Valencia CF has kept it up for what, like 15-20 years now?

(Full disclosure/FWIW: I did a semester abroad in Valencia then lived there awhile solo - great city but holy poo poo between the new Mestalla, the F1 circuit, the Science Museum, and the airport are they the kings of white elephant projects)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

trem_two posted:

La Liga have given Barca a special 15 day transfer window to sign a player, apparently due to injuries to Suarez and Dembele. There are a lot of restrictions - the player has to be a striker, and has to be currently under contract to a La Liga club. Whatever club loses a player to Barca will not be given a chance to sign a replacement.

Has this ever happened to any other loving club in La Liga for anything other than a GK?

I mean everyone knows the Big Two get away with stuff no one else does but this is saying the quiet part loud.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

kcer posted:

decent enough match ruined by having to look at messi's gross beard

That reminds me - who's Ronaldo's beard these days?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It's a real shame the virus can't be combatted with blood bags and EPO, otherwise Spain would be doing much better.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Brass Hand posted:

Can someone explain the Barcelona board thing to me or is just run of the mill Spanish sports drama?

Barça’s board has been scientifically proven to be Elite Next Level Spanish sports drama which is impressive in and of itself.

I’m not a FC Barthhhelona fan but I think a large part of it is related to it being a proxy for political power and independence in Catalonia, especially since its “més que un club“ etc, combined with the ridiculously high expectations of the fans.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why does everyone hate Ray Hudson

I like him in small doses but I guess some people don't like commentary so over-the-top that is wraps back around to good?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

that's a sweet goal.

All the goals in the Barca-Villareal game were good too.

I think the GreaseMan lob is the best but Suarez curling it on the first touch was gorgeous too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nIPOtPLbGs

That lob :captainpop: Now Im going to spend my entire morning on YouTube compilations of "best chipped" or "Top 10 lobbed goals"

I'm sure it's been said a million times before but it's a shame Suarez never got a chance to play under Klopp, his maniacal closing down would've gotten him even more goals with the gegenpress.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

poty posted:

barca has a ton of past-it players on very high wages. at least madrid had the good sense to sell 33 year old ronaldo when someone offered silly money

This part alone just a couple of years ago would be :psyduck: but you're totally right.

I'm not sure a world where Real Madrid make somewhat sensible financial and squad decisions in one I want to live in - I kind of miss the presidential election pissing contests of who can come up with the most expensive, crazy transfer policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

marca has been hinting at this for a week now but now ESPN is saying the "club has confirmed" that Messi has asked out.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4166709/messi-tells-barcelona-he-wants-to-leave-sources

code:
The club confirmed to ESPN Deportes' Jordi Blanco on Tuesday that they were notified by Messi of his decision via burofax, a service used in Spain to urgently dispatch a document that requires proof to third parties. 
I have the mental image of a donkey laden with a sheet of A4 sleepily meandering through Catalonia to deliver this message. (Yes, I know it's burro).