Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the roman version of the MIC is soldiers demanding war to get paid and leaders giving it to them to stay on top, even if its against rome itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

indigi posted:

in a lot of late Renaissance-early modern English sources about beer brewing you'll see "barleycorn" used almost exclusively. corn just meant the starchy thing at the end of grain stalks and barley/wheat/oat was an additional descriptor

barleycorn mention! https://youtu.be/icyPFsIcAV0?si=mY4J7vEWPWgqixo7

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

There are two strains of nobility that coalesce in Late Antiquity, develop in the Early Middle Ages, and are fully expressed in the Medieval period, and I would need to know which you mean before I can recommend anything since there are monographs about either, but they're distinct until they come together in Francia/Bulgaria/Syria/Spain in the 600's :

Roman systems of legal fealty and the Patron-Client relationship

and

Germanic/Slavic/Arabian Tribal systems of personal loyalty and the Chieftain-Retainer relationship

Both are ultimately the consequences of killing people well, money, marriage but they didn't merge until "Barbarians" inherited Roman legal structures, complex military, political, social and economic systems, and the Church (and elsewhere Islam) was able to bridge the gap by providing a shared source of legitimacy to seal both personal oaths and legal contracts.

Greg Fisher explains how this happened among the Arabs and Saxons, but essentially, the same thing happened on every Roman and Persian frontier. Briefly -

So I take it when you talk about barbarians here you mean barbarians who migrated into the empire rather than be conquered by the empire, so excluding the trouser wearers of places like Gaul.

To what extent was there this same merger of Roman and barbarian institutions in these conquered peoples? If the Romans made a habit of subverting local elites, was this then wholly within Roman power structures?

You mentioned romanized military families from the Balkans, were these fellows descended from Illyrian nobility and to what extent did they maintain their traditional social structures?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Roman policy in Gaul was extremely heavy handed, but among other Celtic people in Britain, Spain and Galatia they were more willing to work something out and more of the material culture survived Romanization. Still, establishing colonies and “industrializing”, for lack of a better word, the Celtic world was a major driver of the economy of the principate.

In Illyria and Dacia, they didn’t really see much they wanted to take from the culture, but they also didn’t settle too thick on the ground, comparatively, and like the Venetians, Austrians and producers of Game and Thrones, were mostly interested in the Croatian coastline.

So you have Gallic social structures obliterated, for the most point, Celtic ones assimilating into a dominant Roman culture elsewhere, and Balkan cultures being tolerated because they produced a military elite, though Zalmoxis and the rest of the Balkan pantheon is absorbed into aspects of Zeus and Mars.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Feb 11, 2024

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the gallic nobility in particular continued to have a large number of native gauls whose ancestors had been roman collaborators at one point or another in the conquest, though. the aristocratic gallic identity remained very distinct throughout the entire imperial period even as they romanized almost completely. by the end they're basically romans that wear pants and have funny mustaches but the pants and mustaches mattered both to them and to the italian romans

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Feb 11, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

throughout de bello gallico we see caesar divide gauls into clear social castes of collaborator nobility in tension with a fickle and fractious plebian class that chafes under occupation.
the nobility have deep bonds to caesar, constantly - at least in casaers self interested account - extolling his beneficia towards them, but to maintain power over the angry mob the nobles will double cross roman lieutenants when caesar is called away on business and they can afford to forget their obligations

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im watching a documentary that advances the argument that africans were in america before europeans one piece of evidence being presented is that when the spanish first arrived in panama there were already ethiopians there how credible is this argument

also the guy is saying there were smaller boats used to make the trip that the spanish destroyed to suppress the knowledge that small business owners could make the transatlantic trip so as maintain the dominance of the industry known as big boat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

im watching a documentary that advances the argument that africans were in america before europeans one piece of evidence being presented is that when the spanish first arrived in panama there were already ethiopians there how credible is this argument

also the guy is saying there were smaller boats used to make the trip that the spanish destroyed to suppress the knowledge that small business owners could make the transatlantic trip so as maintain the dominance of the industry known as big boat
they were sent there by cleopatra (black)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its actually nice to see a documentary discussing actual african kings like mansa musa instead of hotep bullshit but i dunno what to make of its african fleet going to america hypothesis

olmec art seeming to have african influences is something id vaguely heard of before but i dunno if that really rises to the level of evidence supporting the theory

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Some Guy TT posted:

The Spanish called Maya and Aztec temples "Mosques", and referred to their religion as "that of the Muslims" fairly often, were prone to call the darker people of the Caribbean like the Taíno "Moors".

By Ethiopians they meant "strange people". Remember Aethiopia was basically considered as fantastical as the Kingdom of Prester John until the Portuguese started establishing a permanent trading presence in the Indian Ocean and Red Sea.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's been a theory floating around for a while. Thor Heyerdahl famously built a boat using West African techniques and tried to sail to the Americas, even making it the second time. Unfortunately without any physical or genetic evidence it's always going to remain a theory based on perceived similarities between art forms.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

if anybody from africa beat whitey in reaching america it seems unlikely that they would have been from the landlocked country on the wrong side of the continent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sullat posted:

It's been a theory floating around for a while. Thor Heyerdahl famously built a boat using West African techniques and tried to sail to the Americas, even making it the second time. Unfortunately without any physical or genetic evidence it's always going to remain a theory based on perceived similarities between art forms.

lmao thor's boat and goal was polynesian in focus. it had nothing to do with africa. and polynesian sailing culture was sophisticated and widespread because of the pacific, compared to the geology of the atlantic which doesn't have thousands of loving islands everywhere, rewarding anyone with a catamaran and some dried coconut

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

lmao thor's boat and goal was polynesian in focus. it had nothing to do with africa. and polynesian sailing culture was sophisticated and widespread because of the pacific, compared to the geology of the atlantic which doesn't have thousands of loving islands everywhere, rewarding anyone with a catamaran and some dried coconut

He had a number of projects; you are thinking of Kon-Tiki but there was Ra (Africa to America) and a third one (Iraq to Egypt).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well those weren't episodes of tiny toon adventures

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

im thinking this thor guy was just looking for excuses to go sailing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

squallpilled

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Mr. Sharps posted:

im thinking this thor guy was just looking for excuses to go sailing

Well he was married, wasn't he? :xd:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

its actually nice to see a documentary discussing actual african kings like mansa musa instead of hotep bullshit but i dunno what to make of its african fleet going to america hypothesis

olmec art seeming to have african influences is something id vaguely heard of before but i dunno if that really rises to the level of evidence supporting the theory

olmec culture started 3600 years ago, so that'd require a really early ocean-faring african culture and it'd need a lot of evidence to support it. the cape verde islands were uninhabited until the portuguese showed up and those are like right there off the coast

also, while poking around wikipedia, apparently it's now hypothesized that the norse settled the azores for about 150 years between 700 and 850 due to the fact that the azores mouse population is closest related to sweden's mouse population and there is evidence of brush clearing and animal husbandry in core samples from that time period.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

if anybody from africa beat whitey in reaching america it seems unlikely that they would have been from the landlocked country on the wrong side of the continent

The Ethiopian empire historically controlled what us now Eritrea, so they used to have a long coast towards the red sea. Still on the wrong side of the massive continent though.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
As has been mentioned, the closest of any of these to having some substantiation is the possibility of the Polynesians making contact with either Chile or Peru. I believe the evidence for that is some sort of plant species, either extant or in the archaeological record. A problem with that is that in the past it's been discovered that plants and animals that could "never" spread across vast distances on their own actually did have natural mechanisms for doing so - famously the Bering land bridge, but also some seeds have been proven to be transmitted by sea birds, I believe other things can float further than was imagined, etc.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

As has been mentioned, the closest of any of these to having some substantiation is the possibility of the Polynesians making contact with either Chile or Peru. I believe the evidence for that is some sort of plant species, either extant or in the archaeological record. A problem with that is that in the past it's been discovered that plants and animals that could "never" spread across vast distances on their own actually did have natural mechanisms for doing so - famously the Bering land bridge, but also some seeds have been proven to be transmitted by sea birds, I believe other things can float further than was imagined, etc.

It's the aracuana chicken.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

South America was settled by African monkeys, twice, or possible trice. Admittedly the distance was shorter back then, but then you also have to take into account that most monkeys are a lot smaller than humans.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea the monkey thing is hugely fascinating to me. Sad that we'll never really know how that went down.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

the sweet potato has the same root word in polynesian and in northwest south american languages, there appear to have been chickens that arrived in chile/peru before the spanish, and genetic evidence from polynesians from 4 islands suggest that there was an interbreeding event with south americans approximately in the year 1200.

the date for the south american/polynesian contact is based on the fact that if you had a recent genetic exchange, then the population would have a wide variety of how much dna they have from polynesia vs. south america. if it's very homogenous then it's been generations. comparing to polynesian populations that only had contact after the spanish arrived, the people from mangareva, pallisers, fatu hiva, and nuku hiva all have about the same percentage of their dna that comes from south america.

edit: this video talks about some of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycRcWK7pMoM

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

PittTheElder posted:

Yea the monkey thing is hugely fascinating to me. Sad that we'll never really know how that went down.

Apparently these natural rafts can support living plants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OwfGunvPXA

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Remember in the 1930s when a Roman statue head was unearthed in South or Central America

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about the Egyptian hieroglyphics in Australia, did they ever get debunked

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're a loving disgrace mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30jMvj4L_jo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Serious question, how do any of you manage to sit through a video that starts with 'hi guys my name is X and welcome to y'

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Serious question, how do any of you manage to sit through a video that starts with 'hi guys my name is X and welcome to y'

its pretty easy its like 5 seconds

in fact many video start out with an introduction!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i watch them at work or while i do nonograms on my phone high

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its pretty easy its like 5 seconds

in fact many video start out with an introduction!

That introduction is just a promise of further agony for me

I think I just don't do well with explainer videos

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I don't it would be so much easier if these jerks would just write a couple of posts summarizing their video so we wouldn't have to waste half an hour listening them yammer on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sullat posted:

I don't it would be so much easier if these jerks would just write a couple of posts summarizing their video so we wouldn't have to waste half an hour listening them yammer on.

Yeah this

That doesn't get you sweet sweet views tho

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

to summarise the video, the glyphs are hilariously amateur carvings that according to primary sources increase in number as the site becomes more well known and visited going from "a few" to "walls of"; none of the hieroglyphs make meaningful sentences; and, it's embarrassing anyone ever took them seriously.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh

So just Australia things

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
and the park ranger that first found them also caught an old man making them. analysis of the carved hieroglyphics suggest they were made with a dremmel. they only gained notoriety because one of the guys selling books about it shares the first name, middle initial, and last name with a well known and highly respected egyptologist which was enough for people to get confused and sell books then get it featured on some of the history channel shows where they present fraud stuff as if it were real.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Also when they were first discovered the hieroglyphs still looked like freshly scored/exposed rock with no weathering on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

sullat posted:

wouldn’t any serious contact with west Africans spread a lot of the same diseases that Europeans did?