Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The poet Robert Frost?

run you pidgeons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/Helenreflects/status/1787281107391533445

quote:

Today I learned about this elaborate eulogy carved into stone of a 1st c Roman husband for his wife (identity uncertain, traditionally referred to as "Turia")

It's the longest personal document of this kind. He loved her a lot, they were married for 40 years.

Highlights:

This elaborate carved eulogy challenges our expectations about Roman women. Far from these meek, defenseless creatures the husband keeps on going on about how his wife saved him (and doesn't seem to feel threatened in his masculinity for this), how she avenged her family, etc.

It begins already like this

quote:

You were orphaned suddenly before the day of our wedding when both of your parents were killed together in the solitude of the countryside. It was mainly through your efforts that the death of your parents did not go unavenged

Well, who knew a virtuous Roman woman's duties would include avenging her parents? He continues

quote:

You insistently demanded punishment and you got it, so strenuously performing your familial duty that even if we had been present, we could not have done anything more.

You have to imagine this teenager (Roman women married v young) avenging her parents, and then waiting for her fiancé (writer of the laudatio):

quote:

After you did obtain punishment of the guilty, you immediately went to the house of my mother, where you awaited my homecoming.

She then successfully litigated a dispute over her father's will, ensuring her sister and she got fair equal shares of the inheritance,

quote:

you completed the defense that you had undertaken, all on your own, of respect for your father, devotion to your sister, and loyalty to us

We learn divorce was super-common

quote:

Rare are marriages as long as ours—marriages ended by death, not cut short by divorce. It was granted to us that ours lasted into its forty- first year

-- husband then is sad it's bc she died, not he, even though he is significantly older

He then goes on to lavish praise on her: she's great at managing stuff, she is virtuous, she is religious without being superstitious, devoted to her family... he then says

quote:

I must skip over quite a number of your other kindnesses

An interesting incident (I put the full quote below) is where she goes and pleads her husband's case to reinstate him (as a senator?) and she gets beaten but she does it nonetheless, pleading his case

He expresses gratitude for her help, and says unabashedly she saved his life (no toxic Roman masculinity?)

quote:

In recognition of the greatness of all the good deeds you did on my behalf, I shall display to the eyes of all an inscription that tells how you saved my life.

Okay (you see, a very long inscription in stone). Peace is restored, these two happy Roman citizens are thinking: kids. But unfortunately, it's not happening. After a while it becomes clear the wife is not conceiving,

quote:

on that account, you mentioned the word “divorce."

But husband refuses.

quote:

I must say that I became so enraged that I lost my mind; I was so horrified at your designs that it was very hard to regain my composure...; I could never have assented to your proposal without bringing great shame upon me and unhappiness on both of us.

He concludes as follows

quote:

Thee fruits of your life will remain available to me. With the thought of your glory presenting itself, I shall strengthen my resolve; in- structed by your deeds, I shall stand up to Fortune, who has not snatched everything away from me.

But all at the end 😭😭

quote:

A natural sorrow jerks away my power of self-control. I am overwhelmed by sadness and cannot stand firm either against the grief or the fear that anguish me. Going back over my earlier troubles and fearing what the future may bring, I break down.

This laudation is such a beautiful and timeless declaration of love. Wow. I cried a bit when I read the full text. You can read it here + new analysis of who "Turia" could have been, the social context of women in Rome, etc

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/turia-9780199832354

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That is really cool.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It was hard to take the historical accuracy of this game seriously after Henry makes it to the next castle over and warms them of the attack, and the castellans wife or whoever takes the time to seek Henry out to see how he's getting on and to tell him what a brave boy he is.

1) Lol at the idea of a noblewoman being alone in a room with any adult male who isn't her husband, a blood relative, or her confessor.
2) Lol at the idea of a noblewoman giving a poo poo about how an unemployed trainee blacksmith is dealing with the destruction of his village.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

It was hard to take the historical accuracy of this game seriously after Henry makes it to the next castle over and warms them of the attack, and the castellans wife or whoever takes the time to seek Henry out to see how he's getting on and to tell him what a brave boy he is.

1) Lol at the idea of a noblewoman being alone in a room with any adult male who isn't her husband, a blood relative, or her confessor.
2) Lol at the idea of a noblewoman giving a poo poo about how an unemployed trainee blacksmith is dealing with the destruction of his village.

through that whole exchange I was worried that someone was going to break in and the player-character would get lynched or something for the temerity of sharing a room alone with a noblewoman.

Kanthulhu posted:

What game?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:
https://twitter.com/Helenreflects/status/1787281107391533445

most husbands just wrote: lanam fecit (she made the wool) as high praise of their dead wives.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

KC:D is a great game and everyone should play it, but yeah it's very bizarre how the conservative dudes (including the lead developer) tried to latch onto it as this ultra realistic simulation of pre-modern Europe (because there are no black people). Among other things, this is a game that famously involves lock picking a horses' anus.

The game really is great though, the recreation of the area is stunningly well done, Hans is a loving champ, and I will never forget that first big quest with local sheriff-type Bernard: he tells you to go question some villagers about a crime and report back, and you get a lead on some bandits in the woods. Naturally you go fight the bandits because this is a video game; the fight is pretty difficult because Henry is pretty useless at this point, and there's lots of people complaining online about how they can't beat the bandits. If you do beat the bandits Bernard then berates you for being stupid enough to try and fight a bunch of bandits in the woods rather than just telling him and letting him and his Men-at-arms deal with them (if you do report back they effortlessly defeat the bandits).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pistol_Pete posted:

She wants to gently caress him, that's not that unrealistic

She slips in in the middle of the night and iirc mentions that they can't be seen together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
They would be right to be suspicious and punish Heinrich, in light of where the game ultimately goes with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmGhqtR7Xuo