Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Here's where you assholes can talk about rocks dropping and the best scene in the whole series:

Nemesis Games Pg 322 posted:

Peaches took a bite of her ration bar and sipped the water from her self-purifying canteen. "Is it bothering you?"
"What?"
"What we did."
"Not sure what that was, Peaches."
She looked at him, her eyes narrowed like she was trying to decide if he was joking. "We invaded that man's home, killed him, and took his stuff. If we hadn't come through, he might have made it. Lived until the sun came back. Survived."
"He was gonna shoot me for no reason except that I had something he wanted."
"He wouldn't have done it if we hadn't gone there. And we lied to him about wanting to trade."
"Seems like you have a point to make, Peaches."
"If he hadn't been ready to pull the trigger, would you have let it go? Or would we still be here, with these guns and this food?"
"Oh, we were taking his poo poo. I'm just pointing out that both sides of the argument had the same plan."
"Then we're not exactly the good guys, are we?"
Amos scowled. It wasn't a question that had even crossed his mind until she said it. It bothered him that it didn't bother him more. He scratched his chest and tried to imagine Holden doing what they'd done. Or Naomi. Or Lydia.
"Yeah," he said. "I should really get back to the ship soon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You know, that scene in the latest preview of the roiling dirt could be either plotline....

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You know, that scene in the latest preview of the roiling dirt could be either plotline....

If I'm thinking of the same one as you then you can see the Illus Roman structures in the background of it.

I'm hoping they seriously retool Illus and take out the post-apocalyptic scenes after the reactor blows. It'll be a bit samey to have both that and Earth's destruction back to back.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, rocks falling on Earth is Season 5. No way they're cramming it into Season 4. We've got another year or more of being very careful about not making rock jokes in the spoiler-free thread.

I think messing up an empty world like Illus is going to feel very different than messing up the Earth, no matter the superficial similarities. And messing up Illus badly is important to emphasize the whole monkey-with-a-microwave lack of understanding humans have about their whole new world. That said I don't remember what specifically happens to Illus, and I'd be fine if it was different in a weird alien way. Just so long as it's still kind of terrifying to see that things on that scale can happen in these new worlds.

As a side note, all the promotional stuff calls it New Terra. But everyone with remotely sensible political inclinations calls it Illus.

I wonder if this is Amazon's doing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Eiba posted:

Yeah, rocks falling on Earth is Season 5. No way they're cramming it into Season 4. We've got another year or more of being very careful about not making rock jokes in the spoiler-free thread.

I think messing up an empty world like Illus is going to feel very different than messing up the Earth, no matter the superficial similarities. And messing up Illus badly is important to emphasize the whole monkey-with-a-microwave lack of understanding humans have about their whole new world. That said I don't remember what specifically happens to Illus, and I'd be fine if it was different in a weird alien way. Just so long as it's still kind of terrifying to see that things on that scale can happen in these new worlds.

As a side note, all the promotional stuff calls it New Terra. But everyone with remotely sensible political inclinations calls it Illus.

I wonder if this is Amazon's doing.

Pretty sure that's some intentionally clever advertising. :haw:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pretty sure that's some intentionally clever advertising. :haw:

Yeah. Nearly all the actors are calling it Illus in tweets and the like. I'm going to guess part of the promotion will be rolling with both names in a playful way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're probably going to drop the rocks at the end of season 4. Super huge cliffhanger or something.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My guess would be that we see the stealth tech being stolen but not the rocks being dropped because they still need to get Amos on Earth, Alex on Mars, and Naomi kidnapped.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
They could always changes things up like with ashford, drummer, and naomi on behemoth

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Uterine Lineup posted:

My guess would be that we see the stealth tech being stolen but not the rocks being dropped because they still need to get Amos on Earth, Alex on Mars, and Naomi kidnapped.

I love that the audience is supposed to think Avalarala's OPA smuggler from the first episode is getting stealth tech for the gunships, but he's actually trying to get it for Marco... :tviv:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I was kind of making a joke about the name too. Seeing "New Terra" slowly pop up at the end of all these trailers in that crisp promotional font and for a fleeting moment being angry that they're using the wrong name is a pretty nifty move.

It's just kind of funny that if Amazon is still around in the time of the Expanse they'd totally be backing New Terra.

They could always changes things up like with ashford, drummer, and naomi on behemoth
I mean, they need Amos on Earth at the very least. That's kind of important. Might as well get everyone else where they're supposed to go too.

If they cram it into season 4, you'd need to have a whole episode or two of low key epilogue stuff after Illus. The crew goes off to do their own things and decompress/deal with personal issues that piled up while they were away... and then it happens out of nowhere.

At the very least they'll need to introduce Baltimore/life on Earth a bit, and then get Amos to the prison. That seems like it'd be a lot of work for a cliffhanger when all that stuff belongs in the next season, but it would indeed be an amazing cliffhanger.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Eiba posted:

I was kind of making a joke about the name too. Seeing "New Terra" slowly pop up at the end of all these trailers in that crisp promotional font and for a fleeting moment being angry that they're using the wrong name is a pretty nifty move.

It's just kind of funny that if Amazon is still around in the time of the Expanse they'd totally be backing New Terra.

I mean, they need Amos on Earth at the very least. That's kind of important. Might as well get everyone else where they're supposed to go too.

If they cram it into season 4, you'd need to have a whole episode or two of low key epilogue stuff after Illus. The crew goes off to do their own things and decompress/deal with personal issues that piled up while they were away... and then it happens out of nowhere.

At the very least they'll need to introduce Baltimore/life on Earth a bit, and then get Amos to the prison. That seems like it'd be a lot of work for a cliffhanger when all that stuff belongs in the next season, but it would indeed be an amazing cliffhanger.

The only thing I'll find hard to believe is Naomi and Holden separating voluntarily again because they just played that card and Holden already knows her past.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I love that the audience is supposed to think Avalarala's OPA smuggler from the first episode is getting stealth tech for the gunships, but he's actually trying to get it for Marco... :tviv:

Yeah, when I was rewatching and they dropped the Inaros name I was like whoa hold up, this is a fuckin LONG con

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Earth after rock drop is Season 5. source: Amos himself.

https://twitter.com/weschatham/status/1162711613230764033

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uber_stoat posted:

Earth after rock drop is Season 5. source: Amos himself.

https://twitter.com/weschatham/status/1162711613230764033

yeah I :lol:d

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Eiba posted:

Watch this season be "adapted" to have the colonists be an irrational and hotheaded bunch of sovereign citizen types who need to submit to the order and discipline of Daddy Corporation if the colony is to survive and become profitable.

Murtry will be the self-sacrificing do-gooder who dies to protect the company's interests, which is really in everyone's best interest.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Phenotype posted:

Watch this season be "adapted" to have the colonists be an irrational and hotheaded bunch of sovereign citizen types who need to submit to the order and discipline of Daddy Corporation if the colony is to survive and become profitable.

Murtry will be the self-sacrificing do-gooder who dies to protect the company's interests, which is really in everyone's best interest.

0% chance of this.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I can't imagine the scene with the slugs would look decent no matter how good the CG is. Looks like they may have replaced them with flying insects.

How many episodes do you think we'll have to endure blurry point of view shots as they slowly go blind from the parasites?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Bert Roberge posted:

I can't imagine the scene with the slugs would look decent no matter how good the CG is. Looks like they may have replaced them with flying insects.

How many episodes do you think we'll have to endure blurry point of view shots as they slowly go blind from the parasites?

Nah. The flying insects are just to illustrate that the life on Illus is (supposedly) unable to harm humans. It's just a dramatized version of the scene in the book where a character gets bit by one, but it immediately dies because humans are toxic to them.

I think we'll get something like the slug situation, but not necessarily involving slugs, and not necessarily involving blindness. I'm pretty confident the writers see the problems with the story in the books and will improve it as they have in the past.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Eiba posted:

I recently re-watched the first few seasons, it amazed me just how much they telegraphed that. I guess I hadn't read that far in the books when I watched the first couple of seasons. IIRC they mention it in the very first episode...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I recently re-watched the first few seasons, it amazed me just how much they telegraphed that. I guess I hadn't read that far in the books when I watched the first couple of seasons. IIRC they mention it in the very first episode...

yeah, I don't remember the episode but Avasarala has a conversation with her grandson about it. "I worry about people who throw rocks."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, I don't remember the episode but Avasarala has a conversation with her grandson about it. "I worry about people who throw rocks."

I like that his response is something like “:shrug: well there’s nothing you can do about that...”
:allears:

And yeah, Avasarala’s first scene in the show was interrogating an OPA prisoner caught smuggling stealth tech. The red herring is thinking the OPA is involved with the Donnager, but since the Belters has nothing to do with Protogen’s stealth ships: we all know he was actually smuggling for Marco...

I wonder how many show-only viewers have thought about that, or just dismissed it as character/world-building.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

I like that his response is something like “:shrug: well there’s nothing you can do about that...”
:allears:

And yeah, Avasarala’s first scene in the show was interrogating an OPA prisoner caught smuggling stealth tech. The red herring is thinking the OPA is involved with the Donnager, but since the Belters has nothing to do with Protogen’s stealth ships: we all know he was actually smuggling for Marco...

I wonder how many show-only viewers have thought about that, or just dismissed it as character/world-building.

I though this too, but wasn't Duarte most of the brains behind the Free Navy? He couldn't have started his Big Scheme before Ring Space showed up and people started abandoning Mars.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

GigaPeon posted:

I though this too, but wasn't Duarte most of the brains behind the Free Navy? He couldn't have started his Big Scheme before Ring Space showed up and people started abandoning Mars.

I feel like it was Marco's plan/goal for a while, it just took the partnership with Duarte to make it happen.

I think we'll get introduced to Duarte this season, and maybe Marco. But I'd bet no rocks drop until next season.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I just finished book 7; is the 8th books title (Tiamats Wrath) referring to the EMC and TU, the Roci/Storm(?) Crew, or something else entirely?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Something else.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I feel like it was Marco's plan/goal for a while, it just took the partnership with Duarte to make it happen.

I think we'll get introduced to Duarte this season, and maybe Marco. But I'd bet no rocks drop until next season.

Do the math!

Book 1: 1.5 Seasons
Book 2: 1 Season
Book 3: .5 Season

Book 4-8: 0 Seasons

We can safely say that rocks will fall and Laconia will invade by the end of the first episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I agree we'll see Duarte this season. I wonder if it's going to be the Cylon they had as an unnamed Martian admiral when they met with Avasarala, was weird to cast someone known for such a zero background part. I kinda suspect they knew they were getting a season 5. Also Amos needs time to get back to Earth. It's conventional but I'd guess rocks happen midway through 5.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i can't wait to see how people respond to the rocks

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/theexpansewr/status/1172222609343205376?s=21
:hmmyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/comiccon_paris/status/1173877046428282881?s=21

Show will apparently premier on AmazonFrance!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems a bit spoily to be mentioning that season 5 events in here for the plebians. They'll revolt.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That says "Amazon will show the first episode of S4 at ComicCon Paris", not "the show will premiere on AmazonFrance".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rocksicles posted:

Seems a bit spoily to be mentioning that season 5 events in here for the plebians. They'll revolt.

It's the spoiler thread. :shrug:

Pinterest Mom posted:

That says "Amazon will show the first episode of S4 at ComicCon Paris", not "the show will premiere on AmazonFrance".

:woop:
That semester of French fails me again!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just read The Vital Abyss last night and I have to wonder how weird it was to try to write from that perspective. Also gotta laugh that they have a bunch of scientists and they just shove them in a big room instead of putting them to work on something to help the belt. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Where can you get the side novellas, anyways?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Where can you get the side novellas, anyways?

They're only available as ebooks until they're all done, at which point a single physical book will contain all of them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I agree we'll see Duarte this season. I wonder if it's going to be the Cylon they had as an unnamed Martian admiral when they met with Avasarala, was weird to cast someone known for such a zero background part. I kinda suspect they knew they were getting a season 5. Also Amos needs time to get back to Earth. It's conventional but I'd guess rocks happen midway through 5.

I definitely think this might be who they go with. He's set up in such a weird way for a nothing extra.

Also they have definitely cast Marco. Keon Alexander has been cast as a "smart and charismatic Belter faction leader" whose name they haven't revealed.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
He looks about right, just a little bit too pretty for Inaros. I wish they could have gotten Gael Garcia Bernal circa 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I thought Marco was supposed to be pretty, like that's most of his appeal? I think that single photo of that guy looks like a great choice.

Edit: I'm an idiot and that's not the photo of the actor they cast for him! I agree that the actual guy looks too pretty.