Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, I think they're going to go with the longer lifespans gimmick and just ~tastefully~ age everyone ten years for the thirty year jump. :bsg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thank god Amazon makes these amazing pills that keep us young forever! And such prompt delivery too

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I think they're going to go with the longer lifespans gimmick and just ~tastefully~ age everyone ten years for the thirty year jump. :bsg:

The average life expectancy on Earth is 123 years

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

The average life expectancy on Earth is 123 years

Wasn't that prior to protomolecule ~discoveries~?

also, I just reread Cibola Burn in anticipation for the season, and I think it's much better on the second read.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wasn't that prior to protomolecule ~discoveries~?

Yeah, they have anti-ageing drugs

I wonder what the life expectancy is for people on basic though...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PriorMarcus posted:

Interestingly Thomas Jane just posted up on Twitter that he's started work on The Expanse Season Five today...

Nail Rat posted:

I'm all for ghost Miller sticking around for the entire series.

uber_stoat posted:

everyone loves Ghost Miller.

I feel like the show is going to diverge from the books in some pretty significant ways going forward. there's some stuff in the later books that I don't think you can really do in a tv show.

Xposting from the book thread:

Turns out he's directing an episode of season 5. So maybe the detective wont actually return?

https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/1195413519828566017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, when I was rewatching and they dropped the Inaros name I was like whoa hold up, this is a fuckin LONG con

Oh I totally didn't catch that he was brought up at all, that is some good stuff. It's natural that a plan as big as the rock drop would take a long time to get going and there'd be some hints out there on what was going on.

pik_d posted:

Xposting from the book thread:

Turns out he's directing an episode of season 5. So maybe the detective wont actually return?

https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/1195413519828566017

Good for him, will be interesting to see what his style is, though I rarely pick up on director choices or influence in stuff I watch. I'd certainly be on board with things swerving towards the detective sticking around, plenty of stuff in the future of the show where his input on things would be fun to see.

Kind of surprising that they went with a full blockade in place for the show and Ilus set up by people who snuck past, when as I recall it was basically open season on gate passage and Ilus just happened to be one of the first colonies started. I suppose it does raise the stakes a bit.

My hope is that they end season 4 with Ilus resolved and them jetting back to Sol and advance the overall plot enough to where we can see rocks and all at the end of episode one, basically make that one of the most shocking season premieres around for those who haven't had that spoiled, and it should make the whole season super intense.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I kind of disagree. At least when I read the 5th book the rocks falling kind happened in the middle of all the other plots, which is what made them a surprise. The 5th book is intentionally written like Books 1&2 where it sets up a conspiracy/mystery that everyone needs to solve but suddenly swerves in the middle as the rocks fall and you realize the characters were way too many steps behind in figuring things out.

A season written in the cadence of the first two that suddenly has the rocks fall in episode 3 would be perfect because TV viewers aren't expecting that kind of twist in such an odd spot in the narrative.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think that is the route they are going and should go. It seems like they will either have Bobbie/Avarsarala investigating red herrings back in Sol or investigating something tangential to the book 5 plot and towards the end of S4 discover missing ships or whatever.

Season 5 starts with the slow ramp up of investigations and you think it'll be a full season arc then bam, a couple episodes in the rocks fall.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Hey but guys they nuked the spot the rocks were gonna hit at the beginning of last season. I kinda thought that will make the rock drop less shocking.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tertius Oculum posted:

Hey but guys they nuked the spot the rocks were gonna hit at the beginning of last season. I kinda thought that will make the rock drop less shocking.

Hard disagree. Stealth rocks falling from space is wayyyyy more intense than a stray nuke.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

No I agree but it's weird that the show already did it, also 2 million people died and they glossed over it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The asteroids kill like 15 billion so I think it'll still be impactful.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

So I finally broke down in the off season and read the books. I only meant to read the first three and save the rest but I've now read all the main novels and most of the novellas, I just couldn't help myself. I apologize if this is a can of worms but I've seen a lot of book fans being really down on Cibola Burn for what seems to me to be no particular reason? Was good book, I enjoyed Holden being a sheriff and death slugs and robomiller and such. What's the deal?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I personally loved it, so I'm not sure why so many people were down on it. I think some people were put off by the POV thirsty scientist chapters, and the fact it's sandwiched between the excellent Book 3 and the great Book 5.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Without the knowledge that it's laying a lot groundwork that only really pays off in the two most recent books, I think a lot of people felt like it was an inconsequential detour that didn't feel connected to the broader story.

And yeah, Elvi's chapters got a bit weird.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tertius Oculum posted:

I hated this. It was such a nothing filler scene that ultimately did nothing to advance the plot and, yes, actively lessened future ones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CainsDescendant posted:

So I finally broke down in the off season and read the books. I only meant to read the first three and save the rest but I've now read all the main novels and most of the novellas, I just couldn't help myself. I apologize if this is a can of worms but I've seen a lot of book fans being really down on Cibola Burn for what seems to me to be no particular reason? Was good book, I enjoyed Holden being a sheriff and death slugs and robomiller and such. What's the deal?

Dunno, I've never understood the complaints myself. It is the most different of the series, so I guess if you're only here for Space Stuff it could be disappointing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Grand Fromage posted:

Dunno, I've never understood the complaints myself. It is the most different of the series, so I guess if you're only here for Space Stuff it could be disappointing.

It's a pretty good story on it's own, but the main thrust of the series has always been about the politics between the UN, Mars, and the Belt, and just when things seem like they're going to open up and get weird, Holden and Co. spend an entire book stuck on a backwater planet with a bunch of space hillbillies trying to work out one of what could be more than 1300 different ownership disputes about the territory beyond the gates. It's only apparent at the end that what they're doing ends up being relevant for all of humanity's expansion, so for most of it I was just wanting them to gently caress off back to Medina Station and see what else was going on. I haven't gone back and reread the series, but I'll probably have a more favorable opinion of it the second time through when I'm not just in a hurry to progress what feels like the "main" political storyline.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Phenotype posted:

It's a pretty good story on it's own, but the main thrust of the series has always been about the politics between the UN, Mars, and the Belt, and just when things seem like they're going to open up and get weird, Holden and Co. spend an entire book stuck on a backwater planet with a bunch of space hillbillies trying to work out one of what could be more than 1300 different ownership disputes about the territory beyond the gates. It's only apparent at the end that what they're doing ends up being relevant for all of humanity's expansion, so for most of it I was just wanting them to gently caress off back to Medina Station and see what else was going on. I haven't gone back and reread the series, but I'll probably have a more favorable opinion of it the second time through when I'm not just in a hurry to progress what feels like the "main" political storyline.
That makes a lot of sense. I guess I just always saw the story on Ilus as being a microcosm of what was going on in all of the other ring systems so it never really bothered me. I wasn't in quite the hurry to see what else was going on, although now that I'm waiting on more books and show I'd definitely be interested in, say, the settlement of Auberon or Laconia or the other no-name colonies to tide me over.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

I for one wanted to see more of the alien civilization. I was starting to get a good Rendezvous with Rama boner. Then we get slammed back into human squabbling. Book 5 and 6 should have been one book imo.6 just feels like an extended conclusion to 5. I do like Laconia though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah I liked book 3 more than most as well. It still gets ranked as the worst book for me but that puts it as "good" when the others are "great" or "excellent". Pretty much in the same boat where the stuff that bothered others wasn't a big problem for me. Mostly it's in that bottom spot because the others have more crazy worldbuilding and wide-spanning plots and crazier stuff happening on a much larger scale than just "stuff goes down on one planet".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CainsDescendant posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I guess I just always saw the story on Ilus as being a microcosm of what was going on in all of the other ring systems so it never really bothered me.

That's also how I took it. Instead of trying to present some grand view of the land rush we went in close and saw one example with the Roci crew.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grand Fromage posted:

That's also how I took it. Instead of trying to present some grand view of the land rush we went in close and saw one example with the Roci crew.

I thought it was also literally the first one because the Ganymede refugees that settled on Ilus were the closest big ship like that to the gate.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Also, pretty sure it was the first incident with a new world being claimed by two factions. The Corporation having gone through the "official" channels and the squatters/refugees staking claim first etc. Which is why the crew gets sent to deal with it more for the political reasons.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tertius Oculum posted:

I for one wanted to see more of the alien civilization. I was starting to get a good Rendezvous with Rama boner. Then we get slammed back into human squabbling.
Same. I care more about protomolecule and all that poo poo. Being blinded for half a book and kicking around slugs is boring.

If it's all about being stuck on a planet, something like Amos' trek across the wasteland was 100x more interesting.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 24, 2019

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

The Ilus stuff reminded me quite a bit of Ringworld, just exploring this strange planet full of alien tech. Very different feel to the others (I've only read up through book 5 so far) but nice to have that older scifi feel going on.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The asteroids kill like 15 billion so I think it'll still be impactful.

Like 15 billion in the first day/week. It also pretty much destroys the ecosystem; one hits the middle of the atlantic and seriously fucks up the ocean, one hits Africa I think, and one hits near the East Coast. It fucks up Earth so bad it's pretty much non-radioactive nuclear winter. So bad that Earth has to import food from the belt.

I really don't see them getting to all that in Season 4, although they've defied my expectations with where books start/end in relation to seasons before. We'll probably see Bobby's short story about drug dealers and the bombardment of Callisto, although dropping that near the end of Season 4 without following it up with the bombardment of Earth will feel weird and out of place.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Keon Alexander CONFIRMED as MARCO

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-expanse-season-4-finally-introduces-the-belters-cha-1840051987

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Does someone have a link to a non-spoiler thread? I'm thoroughly spoiled, but still.

Also: is Jim Holden the most significant figure in all of human history?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Norton the First posted:

Does someone have a link to a non-spoiler thread? I'm thoroughly spoiled, but still.

Also: is Jim Holden the most significant figure in all of human history?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851148

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lol in episode 3 (i think) of season one Avasarala and one of her grandkids are lying on the roof talking about the likelihood of meteorite strikes on Earth.

"Nobody could throw ricks that big. It just happens sometimes!" says her grandkid, when talking about rocks the size of the cretaceous extinction rock

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lol in episode 3 (i think) of season one Avasarala and one of her grandkids are lying on the roof talking about the likelihood of meteorite strikes on Earth.

"Nobody could throw ricks that big. It just happens sometimes!" says her grandkid, when talking about rocks the size of the cretaceous extinction rock

:downsrim:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh yeah they telegraph the rocks thing quite a bit early on

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

That's one of the nice perks of the show starting after so much of the story is already out. They're able to foreshadow stuff like the rocks falling or Naomi's kid that the authors might not have completely worked out when first releasing the books.

And the books will be finished before the show ends so it hopefully won't go completely off the rails like GOT!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did they cut the wildlife from Ilus?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Phi230 posted:

Did they cut the wildlife from Ilus?

I'm up to episode 6, they've talked about it some (lizard analog eating something 2x its size by throwing up its stomach), and they had that swarm of magnetic razor bugs that ends up blinding people so far. The death slugs should be soon if they still exist.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh that musical sting when they mention Marco in episode 2. Sudden dark, like dirge style music. Chills.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ep: 7 Avasarala's West Wing show is great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Slooooow. I’m 5 episodes in and they’ve covered as much ground as one episode of seasons 1-3