Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

https://youtu.be/KqJRIQO7sqw

Sunday nights 10pm on HBO

quote:

CAST
Danny McBride as Jesse Gemstone

John Goodman as Eli Gemstone

Edi Patterson as Judy Gemstone

Adam DeVine as Kelvin Gemstone

Cassidy Freeman as Amber Gemstone

Tony Cavalero as Keefe Chambers

Tim Baltz as BJ

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

I watched the first episode last night with no expectations and came away impressed. I laughed a lot and laughed very loudly at the ending scene. I grew up in Nevada and am Jewish, so I have no idea if the actual televangelist angle is accurate at all, but it does make for funny television.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

danny mcbride is doing a show on televangelists? hell yeah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pilot was excellent. I was a little worried for the first ten minutes or so that the entire story would be about the siblings slap-fighting each other, but I should have known better after Vice Principals.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I was shocked at how good the first episode was

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

I watched the first episode last night with no expectations and came away impressed.

Same here. Some good lols throughout.

For the most part, the series was filmed in and around Charleston, SC. It's super weird recognizing multiple locations in just the first episode. The Gemstones' mega-church is the North Charleston Coliseum and where they all ate brunch is the former Liberty Tap Room in Mount Pleasant where my trivia team and I used to play every week.

The upcoming prayer center they discussed building in Locust Grove was shot in a former Sears at the Citadel Mall. I work across the street from there so I was able to take some photos of the set dressing occasionally. Was never there at a time they were filming though.

Citadel Mall-103 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-104 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-107 by Will King, on Flickr

And if you want to see what the rest of the mall has looked like over the past 2 years:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thekog/albums/72157680800428832

Doggles fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 2, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i was dying at the incredibly realistic? face melded? satan mask and the gratuitous tongue wagging and even more so at what happened to the 2 crooks at the end. hooleee poo poo so good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jerkface posted:

i was dying at the incredibly realistic? face melded? satan mask and the gratuitous tongue wagging and even more so at what happened to the 2 crooks at the end. hooleee poo poo so good.

The backing over of the second guy was so realistic and graphic and I can't remember the last time a comedy made me feel so horrified while laughing. Probably when they burned down Dr. Brown's house in Vice Principals.

Warning: The above spoiler also has spoilers for Vice Principals.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Watched and adored Vice Principals, then went back through E&D. I loved the first episode of this, definitely didn't expect it to go where it did.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

in my opinion the pilot suffered from a severe lack of walton goggins but I understand that this will be rectified in later episodes and otherwise it was good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

romanowski posted:

in my opinion the pilot suffered from a severe lack of walton goggins but I understand that this will be rectified in later episodes and otherwise it was good

WHAT. I had no idea he's in this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dude...

Peep that mane.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah, he's John Goodman's brother-in-law/Danny McBride's uncle in this. He's in the preview they showed at the end of the episode.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

My favorite joke was having that guys dick on a screen for so long, and with Danny Mcbrides face close to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, wasn't sure about something. Were those other preachers or just his friends?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

yes yes yes more walton goggins

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah, wasn't sure about something. Were those other preachers or just his friends?

I think the long haired guy is one of the church band members.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Danny McBride, John Goodman AND Adam Devine? I'm loving in!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, he's John Goodman's brother-in-law/Danny McBride's uncle in this. He's in the preview they showed at the end of the episode.

I make it a point not to watch the previews.

But goddamn I’m so excited now.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The brass balls to name your son Pontious when you're a Reverend.

Definitely getting the same "This could just as easily be a documentary" vibe I got with Silicon Valley.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Doctor Jeep posted:

yes yes yes more walton goggins

It's a shame many people don't remember him anymore for his character in The Shield. Is there another actor that plays drama and comedy roles at the talent level Goggins does? I loving love that guy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol that ending

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol that ending

Yes! The episode was a relatively slow burn with the usual Hill/Green/McBride stuff and then it gets cranked up to 11 at the very end. I loved it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Doggles posted:

Same here. Some good lols throughout.

For the most part, the series was filmed in and around Charleston, SC. It's super weird recognizing multiple locations in just the first episode. The Gemstones' mega-church is the North Charleston Coliseum and where they all ate brunch is the former Liberty Tap Room in Mount Pleasant where my trivia team and I used to play every week.

The upcoming prayer center they discussed building in Locust Grove was shot in a former Sears at the Citadel Mall. I work across the street from there so I was able to take some photos of the set dressing occasionally. Was never there at a time they were filming though.

Citadel Mall-103 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-104 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-107 by Will King, on Flickr

And if you want to see what the rest of the mall has looked like over the past 2 years:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thekog/albums/72157680800428832

I briefly worked at that mall as a (way too young to be legally employed) kid in the late 90s, at a hobby store my uncle managed. I knew I recognized it, although like, so many malls parse eerily similar to each other.

Anyway I loved the pilot a ton. I think imo probably a stronger start than Vice Principals but not quite as funny out of the gate as EB&D.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HanabaL03 posted:

It's a shame many people don't remember him anymore for his character in The Shield. Is there another actor that plays drama and comedy roles at the talent level Goggins does? I loving love that guy.

oh I remember him alright, him and claudette were head and shoulders above the rest of the cast

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I think the long haired guy is one of the church band members.

long haired dude is Jody Hill of longtime seth rogen/danny mcbride collaboration fame. i think they're all supposed to be church band guys.

i watched an interview with danny mcbride a few weeks ago where he mentioned moving out of LA and choosing to live in Charleston, SC after he shot something there and really just enjoyed the area

then i read that they were shooting this show in Charleston and i thought "wow danny is a genius"

(bill murray also lives in charleston)

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

Anyway I loved the pilot a ton. I think imo probably a stronger start than Vice Principals but not quite as funny out of the gate as EB&D.

This.

Good to see Walton Goggins and Edi Patterson made it into the cast.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I’m the most excited that Edi Paterson is in it, she was so amazing in Vice Principals.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Honestly I’m the most excited that Edi Paterson is in it, she was so amazing in Vice Principals.

She basically got the part of the basis of how good she was in VPs. She as only meant to be a small character originally, but McBride and Hill gave her a much much bigger role because they liked her so much.

deathfalls
Oct 28, 2003
death cult armageddon
I really enjoyed the first episode. I didn't know Walton Goggins was in this so was very pleased to see him in the trailer.

As someone who has grew up around the kinda hype-Christianity/megachurch thing, this show interested me on that alone.
Not gonna lie, when I saw Goggins' character in the preview my first thought was "I wonder if they were trying to make him look like Jesse Duplantis?" (he's a somewhat well-known preacher from my neck of the woods).

deathfalls fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 23, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Adam DeVine is really coming into his own as a comedic actor and its been a fun ride watching his projects.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
edi Patterson js writing also

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
this episode was good. When Adam said "you have a statue of Rob on his hands and knees looking scared?" I lost it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last weeks Comedy Bang Bang was Adam, Edi, and Tim promoting the show for people who like that kind of thing.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

this episode was good. When Adam said "you have a statue of Rob on his hands and knees looking scared?" I lost it

"I got a discount cause the dick is weird"

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
"IS CHAD DEAD?"

"Chad you still with us buddy?"

*Chad moans in pain with a gunshot in his gut and vomits.*

"He says he's fine."

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The backing over of the second guy was so realistic and graphic and I can't remember the last time a comedy made me feel so horrified while laughing. Probably when they burned down Dr. Brown's house in Vice Principals.

Warning: The above spoiler also has spoilers for Vice Principals.

"Are you going back to help?"
"No."

This show is fantastic.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 24, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

On board with this show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boo, I didn’t realize only the first episode was an hour long. Ballers is scheduled for 10.30 tonight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Scotty’s voice sounds so familiar, but I couldn’t place the face when the mask was off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I can't believe I didn't see that ending coming but as soon as it did I was like "oh DUH" anyway show's good