Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

three notes:

1). Adam Devine and his side-plots might be the highlight of the show, and that's coming from someone who isn't a particularly big fan of his usual style of comedy.

2). I cannot wait for the moment when McBride gets his from his wife.

3). Holy poo poo Marla Maples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gonz posted:

“Baby, what in the good Lord is going on?“

“Nothing. Them just some fellas I play car pranks with.”

one of the most Danny-McBride-rear end lines i've ever heard

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, it doesn't do poo poo. The only thing that has ever been great was this Elephant bottle thing they have at the doctors and you can buy it for home if you trust your spouse.

I’ve never seen this labeling before but yeah these things rule for unplugging ears they have them on Amazon

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I got one that must be a knockoff from a company called Equadose that normally makes pillsplitters, so rest assured your lovely kin ain’t getting poo poo from me

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I love the flashback episodes because they really knocked it put of the park casting the young versions of characters, plus getting to see Aimee Lee

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Every single time that monster trunk honks “Jesus Loves Me” I lose my poo poo

edit: I love that even as dweeby teens Amber and Jesse are on the same wavelength

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Legit the girl playing young Judy did as good a job as Edi in this episode, it was great. A girl who grew up in a bubble of wealth created by her parents’ position is no match for the viciousness of shithead teenagers, and she portrays understandable hurt being turned into acting out just like Edi. Again, the casting of all the kids is so good.

Edit: I think the contrast between Eli’s sibling and Aimee Lee’s is very funny. Baby Billy wants nothing more than to use his sister and her reputation to fill his pockets until the end of his days and MayMay has to get to the point where her son’s lives are literally in peril before she goes to Eli, and even then she still doesn’t want his money.

I also think this episode does a good job of fleshing out Aimee Lee’s culpability in the church’s dealings without ruining the character. From the start she was always shown to be the best of them and the thing holding the family and the church together, and it would have felt like a betrayal to have her come out and be a secret bad person, but also you don’t stay in that marriage and that position in the church and remain perfectly innocent. MayMay was right about that, and when she came out at the end to save a floundering Eli from the crowd it showed just how much Aimee Lee gives him credibility and can’t be untangled from that, even if she’s doing it for what she feels are good reasons.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 10, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yeah Jesse is off at college, that’s presumably where he met Amber and Judy mentions feeling lonely since he left

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That’s a whole lotta dick

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Never has a television show gotten so much mileage out of a monster truck

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

I loved Jesse's look after that. What even was that expression? Pride that his baby bro became honest with himself?

Probably about the same look I had on my face. jesse was fine with his bi son (who is not bi but w/e) I’m sure everyone who paid even a modicum of attention knew something was going on. I was surprised because after the butt massage I was pretty convinced that “as homoerotic as you can go without showing dicks but never ever acknowledging it” was gonna be the status quo forever. It’s nice that they’re actually pushing Kelvin forward.

My big concern going into next season though is that I sort of worry that it’s gonna continue a trend that Gemstones has stuck with pretty hard through its first three seasons that always gives me a bit of cognitive dissonance. the show does a lot of white-washing of of the more bigoted aspects of evangelical culture. The Gemstones’ church is clearly concerned with a lot of the same issues as real evangelical megachurches and we get moments where they’re mirrors (the mask protests at the beginning of last season, Kelvin’s push against sex stores), but they all stop just short of acknowledging that most of the people in their audience are likely pretty racist and homophobic. The first couple seasons it was easy enough to ignore because the stories really didn’t deal with any of that and quite frankly this show is white as hell, with one black supporting character and Eric Andre last year. I’m sure there’s more to be said about this that I’m really not qualified to talk about because I’m not black, southern or evangelical, although I do know that churches in the south are extremely segregated so it wouldn’t be as easy as putting more black people in the church. This season that tendency to whitewash was a lot harder to ignore because the antagonists were a literal white supremacist militia who aside from wanting to go protest some statue protesters didn’t really act on that in any way. I’m not saying we needed to see them using slurs or doing hate crimes but it really felt inauthentic about the realities of certain people in the south in a way that the rest of the show does really well. I’m very curious to see how they treat Kelvin next season, because there’s absolutely no way in hell they can convince me that an entire mega church in South Carolina is gonna be cool with one of its leaders (let alone the one who runs the youth ministry) being gay.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

There’s a difference between the show’s very good desire not to paint all Christians as morons and assholes and ignoring systemic issues that exist in every church of that size in the south (and outside the south too). These churches are all doctrinally anti-gay and there’s zero way to ignore that without completely losing the show’s sense of realism. I don’t think they will completely ignore that but I do worry that like the militia they’ll sweep the disgust/hate that exists there under the rug.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mob posted:

It's a comedy show it's not on the hook to highlight/fight all the social injustices you bring up/opinions you are projecting onto fictional characters. It's a comedy show. It's not a documentary.

"You know what this ~35 minute comedy show needs? Less jokes and more examples of hateful bigotry."

You can do both, it’s not a binary. I’m not asking for them to have a subplot about revealing that Eli spend decades covering up for child abusers but having a show about a southern mega church where one of the leaders is gay and everyone is just cool with it would be like Brooklyn 99 trying to have their cake and eat it too for years before everyone was like “wait why is this show about NYPD officers full of goofy happy diverse people who don’t exist in real life because NYPD officers, to a man, suck poo poo?”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Said this already, but while you can, you probably shouldn't if it'd have to be shoehorned in in the last episode and not given proper attention.

Yeah it’s gonna be a next season thing, they barely even referenced it in the final episode of this season

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Saltpowered posted:

Calvinists, Lutherans, and United Methodists are generally decent people who aren’t assholes about their faith and are accepting of ethnicity, genders/sexual orientation, and other human differences. Baptists are generally the biggest assholes. Tons of variation within and outside the above though.

Grew up UMC can confirm most of this post, although there are multiple branches of Lutherans that are pretty rough. My dad grew up Missouri Synod and that’s one of those branches where they still don’t let women into roles of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

Colin Robinson?

Some people just like to watch tv and have fun, not analyze everything and bring every loving real world problem into WORLDS OF MAKE BELIEVE. Amazing episode of one of the best shows in years. Everything was perfect.

I’m sure there are some hourlong videos of jangling keys soundtracked with fart noises waiting for you on YouTube if all you want is moving pictures and a laff