Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can agree with that. The characters in that setting is the best part of the whole thing. The whole machine side of things never worked for me because I could never get the logic of the whole thing down, if there ever was any logic there to begin with. There's a whole machine race but they seem to act more like automatons than sentient beings. So you can infer two things, is that 1.) that these beings are made of pure hatred. Maybe a thousand years have passed yet they still hold a grudge from a war that happened so long ago. So they're not learning any kind of wisdom or development from all that time - no growth. 2.) they too are a slave race to the central intelligence thing Neo makes a deal with at the end of the 3rd film. Possibly The Architect.

In both cases they choose not to try to fix the sky but instead rely upon human-made power. So there's an absolute cruelty to it. At least in the fourth film they make it some tangible thing of the whole thing is about some bottom line - cogs in a machine to be ground to dust in the name of profit, ect. It's not subtle but that's fine.

I know, I know, bringing some weird logical argument to what's essentially a light sci-fi film. But part of the reason why I love the fourth film so, on top of it have a really solid script and is more than "legacy sequels are bad" that is super overt in the first act, is that it just makes the whole "the one" a "the many". I always saw Trinity being able to do what she did is because of her and Neo's belief in each other and it follows a logical idea of "we don't follow the rules of the system" so it opens up the possibility that anyone can do what Neo did in those first three films.

I love the action in those first three films and ultimately that's was at the forefront of the decisions. But I always thought if they went down a different route they would have leaned into Neo just simply not following the rules of the Matrix altogether. No need to fight or to fly or any of that. He'd just teleport around, mould the environment around him, insta-gib his opposition. They're part of the Matrix after all. Of course I may be misremembering stuff. It has been a hot minute since I saw the first three films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well right from the beginning in the first film it's pretty well established that Neo literally is not The One without his connection to other people and their belief in him, specifically Trinity. So the whole idea of "The One" really being a misnomer was right there all along. In Reloaded, The Architect says that the main difference between Neo and previous iterations of The One is that his strength comes from more specific connection to Trinity, as opposed to the others who had a broader connection to humanity. And it's that difference that causes Neo to make a different choice than the rest when he goes back to save Trinity rather than take the deal to save Zion.

So yea I think it's always been there, this idea that Neo was chosen as The One more so by Morpheus and Trinity and their belief that he could be The One, rather than anything unique to Thomas Anderson.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Time seems to pass in the Matrix (the first movie begins with Trinity and Cypher monitoring him in "1998" and he gets pulled out in "1999"), so that could be a fun way to play with it. For example, Anthony Zerbe's character was pulled out at 11 years old, which means from his perspective it would have been 1947 if they share the same birth year. He wouldn't have just had to learn about the Matrix, he'd have had to learn about computers.

We don't really know how long it has been the nineties though. There's no reason why his character wasn't also born in in that decade.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
They should just make a miniseries about The Second Renaissance.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One thing about Resurrection I like is it's not a Machine vs Human fight anymore. You have humans, programs, and physical robots working together.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I have my doubts that Reeves will sign on to do another Matrix sequel without involvement of the Wackowskis.

You never know. Didn't he sign up for a fifth John Wick movie? No idea if that was rumor/joke or what. I just hope Matrix 5 isn't a reboot, even though the setting is the one exception of actually being well-suited for that approach. An actual original story would be refreshing.

The MSJ posted:

One thing about Resurrection I like is it's not a Machine vs Human fight anymore. You have humans, programs, and physical robots working together.

Didn't part of Resurrection mention a war among the machines? I vaguely recall something being mentioned about two factions and some brief CGI sequence showing the machines at war with themselves following the original trilogy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jimbot posted:

I can agree with that. The characters in that setting is the best part of the whole thing. The whole machine side of things never worked for me because I could never get the logic of the whole thing down, if there ever was any logic there to begin with. There's a whole machine race but they seem to act more like automatons than sentient beings. So you can infer two things, is that 1.) that these beings are made of pure hatred. Maybe a thousand years have passed yet they still hold a grudge from a war that happened so long ago. So they're not learning any kind of wisdom or development from all that time - no growth. 2.) they too are a slave race to the central intelligence thing Neo makes a deal with at the end of the 3rd film. Possibly The Architect.

In both cases they choose not to try to fix the sky but instead rely upon human-made power. So there's an absolute cruelty to it. At least in the fourth film they make it some tangible thing of the whole thing is about some bottom line - cogs in a machine to be ground to dust in the name of profit, ect. It's not subtle but that's fine.

The sequel films deal in heavy obscurantism, but the gist is that there are two distinct factions of sentient computer program: green and orange. The orange faction are "the machines", governed by the source code. These are aspects or facets of the original AI - guys with embodiment outside the matrix, as the various mechanical robots you see. Meanwhile, the green programs are exclusively designed to exist inside the matrix, which is kept isolated from the machine city because its purpose is to exile its inhabitants. Architect, being a program living inside the matrix, is green. He was created by the orange machines, for the purpose of constructing a functional reality for the surviving humans. This means that he is also bound to the matrix he created, and subordinate to those orange machines.

This leads to some curious nuances - like that one Smith 'turning orange' when he escapes the matrix, fully possesses a living human, and consequently goes crazy. Orange programs are shown to be much more complex and/or powerful than the green ones.

(You might recall that, in Matrix 4, Tom Anderson's followup to his Matrix games was meant to be an orange-tinted game called Binary.)

In the backstory of Matrix 4, there is a war between the machines after a third (red?) faction emerges. As of the end of Matrix 3, the orange machines would allow 1% of the matrix population to leave the matrix, while the red machines believe that no humans should be allowed to leave.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

aBagorn posted:

gimme a story about a previous "one"

gimme a story about the merovingian or other random non-agent programs
it's the same story

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's the same story

Yeah but it'll have werewolves in it now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
My college's student movie theater was cleaning out an old closet and for whatever reason there was a cardboard box full of McFarlane Matrix figures. I got to take it home because everyone there knows I'm a Wachowski Freak.

Not pictured is Morpheus sitting in the chair and the Chateau set with "nameless goon that has Norman Osborn hair". Also there's some of the lobby debris that came with the Trinity figure but no Trinity, someone got to her first.
EDIT: I also have "real world" Neo, forgot about him

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 18, 2024