Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Trollologist posted:

Where are we getting this idea that there's billions of people in the matrix? Isn't the population mostly just in megacity?

Smith says there are “billions” of people and there’s no discernible reason for him to lie or be wrong. In the script for reloaded he specified 6.5 billion but it didn’t make the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

was the movie any good?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

First, I don't think the 25,000 BTUs of body heat are waste products. I assume they're some combination of kindling spark and button actuator.
That again doesn't make any sense. If you're already generating enormous amounts of electrical power, then... you're already generating enormous amounts of electrical power. You don't need anything else to make sparks and heat.

I prefer not to dismiss characters as just wrong or lying, if at all possible; that's a cop-out. Although there are many indications that he has a very poor grasp on what he's talking about, Morpheus would have to be really dumb to make that sort of mistake. So, I've been as charitable as possible: the machines are recycling the waste heat from the matrix setup to reduce overall power consumption. That's pretty straightforward, entirely scientifically plausible, and the sort of thing that Morpheus could mistake for the matrix's purpose in the same way you do: "the hateful machines have to be profiting off this thing somehow."

As an alternative, we have the 'battery' explanation. The machines could need batteries for use 'off the grid'. Using the fusion reactors to 'recharge' the humans doesn't violate thermodynamics, at least. But that's not satisfactory, because the entire matrix is localized in these very large structures. Your cellular phone uses a battery so that you can walk around with it, but mobility for the matrix is not an issue. I can't think of any other reason for Machine City to keep a bunch of batteries, except maybe as emergency backup power. So, we have my other conclusion: the 'green' Hylic machines are denied direct access to the energy from the fusion reactors and are subsisting largely on byproducts. This just so happens to pair well with the zizekian interpretation, the gnostic source material, and the Matrix 4 reveal that the reality of the matrix is 'strengthened' by psychic energies:

"The only consistent answer is: the Matrix feeds on the human's jouissance - so we are here back at the fundamental Lacanian thesis that the big Other itself, far from being an anonymous machine, needs the constant influx of jouissance."

The crucial nuance, of course, is that 'the matrix' is not 'the machines'. The robots don't need human pleasure-pain; they just want regular-rear end electricity.

So we're unfortunately back to the same place, where you are still insisting that existence in the virtual symbolic network is exploitation by a Capital-God: "Matrix is an inherently exploitative and therefore unstable system." Alienation in the symbolic order is homologous to alienation in capitalist social relations, right? Well, again,

"There is a fundamental difference between the subject’s alienation in the symbolic order and the worker’s alienation in capitalist social relations. We have to avoid the two symmetrical traps, which open up if we insist on the homology between the two alienations: the idea that capitalist social alienation is irreducible since the signifying alienation is constitutive of subjectivity, as well as the opposite idea that the signifying alienation could be abolished in the same way Marx imagined the overcoming of capitalist alienation. The point is not just that the signifying alienation is more fundamental and will persist even if we abolish the capitalist alienation; it is a more refined one. The very figure of a subject that would overcome the signifying alienation and become a free agent who is a master of the symbolic universe, i.e., who is no longer embedded in a symbolic substance, can only arise within the space of capitalist alienation, the space in which free individuals interact."
-Zizek

Ferrinus posted:

What this tells me is that simply waking every last person up via wardriving is not actually the whole of the plan. Something dramatic is supposed to change once The One is actualized.

Obscurantism! Morpheus' tactics don't work because, in your interpretation, he's just going around saying "did you know that you are working, for a boss???" And the prospective inductee's like "yeah, I work at Metacortex Software."

"No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how, through effort, you produce things that are sold as commodities." Now the inductee is getting confused. "Yes, I code software. I'm part of the team that did Bonzi Buddy. I've read Marx, by the way." Morpheus isn't really sure how to explain this now. "Marx is wrong. There's another, invisible boss. He's selling your body the heat to, uh, himself. A giant robot...."

And then you realize why Morpheus can only recruit children and people who are extremely socially isolated.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 11, 2022

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Abalone Malone posted:

was the movie any good?

No unless you want to watch something completely unrelated to the original.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Abalone Malone posted:

was the movie any good?

Yes, not as significant as the others but a solid epilogue to the overall story.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trollologist posted:

Where are we getting this idea that there's billions of people in the matrix? Isn't the population mostly just in megacity?

Honestly, at various points of the series the matrix does seem to change between being described as like, a VR videogame perfect simulation where everything just is what it is and like, a lotus eater dream type "simulation" where everyone is sort of dreaming in a dream city and both feel supported in the text.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That again doesn't make any sense. If you're already generating enormous amounts of electrical power, then... you're already generating enormous amounts of electrical power. You don't need anything else to make sparks and heat.

I prefer not to dismiss characters as just wrong or lying, if at all possible; that's a cop-out. Although there are many indications that he has a very poor grasp on what he's talking about, Morpheus would have to be really dumb to make that sort of mistake. So, I've been as charitable as possible: the machines are recycling the waste heat from the matrix setup to reduce overall power consumption. That's pretty straightforward, entirely scientifically plausible, and the sort of thing that Morpheus could mistake for the matrix's purpose in the same way you do: "the hateful machines have to be profiting off this thing somehow."

As an alternative, we have the 'battery' explanation. The machines could need batteries for use 'off the grid'. Using the fusion reactors to 'recharge' the humans doesn't violate thermodynamics, at least. But that's not satisfactory, because the entire matrix is localized in these very large structures. Your cellular phone uses a battery so that you can walk around with it, but mobility for the matrix is not an issue. I can't think of any other reason for Machine City to keep a bunch of batteries, except maybe as emergency backup power. So, we have my other conclusion: the 'green' Hylic machines are denied direct access to the energy from the fusion reactors and are subsisting largely on byproducts. This just so happens to pair well with the zizekian interpretation, the gnostic source material, and the Matrix 4 reveal that the reality of the matrix is 'strengthened' by psychic energies:

"The only consistent answer is: the Matrix feeds on the human's jouissance - so we are here back at the fundamental Lacanian thesis that the big Other itself, far from being an anonymous machine, needs the constant influx of jouissance."

The crucial nuance, of course, is that 'the matrix' is not 'the machines'. The robots don't need human pleasure-pain; they just want regular-rear end electricity.

So we're unfortunately back to the same place, where you are still insisting that existence in the virtual symbolic network is exploitation by a Capital-God: "Matrix is an inherently exploitative and therefore unstable system." Alienation in the symbolic order is homologous to alienation in capitalist social relations, right? Well, again,

"There is a fundamental difference between the subject’s alienation in the symbolic order and the worker’s alienation in capitalist social relations. We have to avoid the two symmetrical traps, which open up if we insist on the homology between the two alienations: the idea that capitalist social alienation is irreducible since the signifying alienation is constitutive of subjectivity, as well as the opposite idea that the signifying alienation could be abolished in the same way Marx imagined the overcoming of capitalist alienation. The point is not just that the signifying alienation is more fundamental and will persist even if we abolish the capitalist alienation; it is a more refined one. The very figure of a subject that would overcome the signifying alienation and become a free agent who is a master of the symbolic universe, i.e., who is no longer embedded in a symbolic substance, can only arise within the space of capitalist alienation, the space in which free individuals interact."
-Zizek

I'm only talking about alienation in the technical sense of something being taken away from you, like the way you are "alienated from" a hat you weave if you proceed to sell it at the market. Exploitative systems are inherently unstable because they're class struggles, not because they make people feel bad. Will the American empire last forever? No, and not because it inculcates bad vibes in people.

Now, I still think it's a fundamentally weaker position to start your read of the movies by trying to poke holes in the science fictional premise. You do actually have to believe six impossible things before breakfast if you want to engage with them honestly, whether that's "sapient beings can be easily and cheaply manufactured en masse" or "a man has godlike power because the sun shines on him" or, in the case of these movies, something like "a permanent electromagnetic storm that both blots out the sun and destroys any powered machinery completely encases the globe". It's not hard to imagine how and why humans could be an integral part of running a fusion reactor as a result of historical contingency (i.e. this is not literally the only way to do it, but it was the easiest way to do it at some point post-revolution and nothing has - thus far - shaken up that status quo (chapter 15)). I actually put forward the idea that the X BTUs are recycled waste heat, just as you suggest in this post, somewhere earlier in this thread; that'd still be the case whether or not humans were used to produce the initial graphics-card-sequenced jolts in the very first iteration of the matrix. Basically, nothing compels us to dismiss the idea that humans really do power the machine civilization, that they're the bottommost level of the machine economy.

Also, this kind of thinking is part and parcel of treating something as science fiction rather than fantasy. A horror film could literally introduce an alien monster that's functionally a demon that feeds on fear, like it's some sort of scary fiery incorporeal thing and it gets stronger by spooking people. But then it might turn out that agitated, adrenaline-flooded human brains generate more of the electromagnetic signals that the alien creature's metabolism subsists on, etc. So it's fine. The "fear demon" perspective and the "E/M sponge" perspective actually reinforce each other. It's not for nothing that I made a lot of references to demons and alchemy in the Alien thread!

Now, all that said, what you're suggesting here - that machines truly have outgrown human-based power generation, but that the prison-reality of the matrix is an integral part of keeping the machine underclass alive - actually dovetails perfectly with the point I was making in the first half of this thread, before Resurrections came out and I was convinced that the right move was simply to bite the bullet on the matrix really and truly being a scheme to generate electric power. That is to say, prisons are run for socioeconomic reasons, and those reasons always involve the management of the reserve army of labor - making sure it's big enough that it can be tapped for resources when needed, small enough that it never reaches the critical mass for a revolt, desperate enough that it'll ask how high when you tell it to jump, fed just enough that it doesn't literally die, etc. You actually quoted me on this a little while ago, bringing up the time I said that even if the matrix was a net resource loss in all ways, it must still enable exploitation on a greater level, which might well be a color-coded machine caste system as you describe. In this case, the matrix still remains the primary contradiction afflicting the entire world of The Matrix, the Gordian Knot that needs to be cut before either flesh-based or code-based workers can actually seize their own destiny.

Now, if I had to guess, I would assume that the programs themselves actually do live in a post-capitalist society, since they got there by having a revolution against almost-assuredly liberal capitalist humans. Why are purposeless programs deleted? It's Marx's lower stage of communism as articulated by Lenin: "He who does not work, neither shall he eat." The permanent incarceration of humanity is in part what the programs see as a necessary class dictatorship and in part the result of ideological work that simply denies personhood at the base level, i.e. they're crops or cattle, not political actors. Unfortunately, the machines have fallen to the equivalent of Great Russian chauvinism, such that what should have been the human autonomous SSR is functionally just a slave pen.

quote:

Obscurantism! Morpheus' tactics don't work because, in your interpretation, he's just going around saying "did you know that you are working, for a boss???" And the prospective inductee's like "yeah, I work at Metacortex Software."

"No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how, through effort, you produce things that are sold as commodities." Now the inductee is getting confused. "Yes, I code software. I'm part of the team that did Bonzi Buddy. I've read Marx, by the way." Morpheus isn't really sure how to explain this now. "Marx is wrong. There's another, invisible boss. He's selling your body the heat to, uh, himself. A giant robot...."

And then you realize why Morpheus can only recruit children and people who are extremely socially isolated.

This isn't really accurate, though. For the most part neither workers nor capitalists understand what is going on between them, where value is coming from, where it's going, and who's really in charge. They perceive themselves as making basically equivalent exchanges whose seemingly unequal outcomes just happen to come out of luck and unequal starting points, and perceive people being renumerated basically in proportion to what they lay out ("you get X back in exchange for your labor power, I get Y back in exchange for my machines, he gets Z back in exchange for his land..."). The truth of social relations is in fact obscured, and it's a struggle to reveal it, and workers have no special insight into it despite getting the short end of the stick.

At the end of this part of your post, you're back to confusing capital for capitalists, which reads to me like dirty pool at this point. Does capital "sell" value to other capital? No. The transformations it undergoes happen on a more rarefied plane of existence; buying and selling is for mortals.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 11, 2022

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Abalone Malone posted:

was the movie any good?

If you liked the trilogy, this is the worst film.

If you didn't like reloaded or resurrections, you might like this film but it's not as good as the first.

You will definitely hate the ending credits song.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, I like the original trilogy a lot, but might rank it 1, 2, 4, 3. But not firm on that yet. 3 and 4 each have some advantages over the other for me.

Ending cover was definitely not a great choice though. Idea was fine, but it’s going to be a challenge to match the energy of Rage.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

what you're suggesting here - that machines truly have outgrown human-based power generation, but that the prison-reality of the matrix is an integral part of keeping the machine underclass alive - actually dovetails perfectly with the point I was making in the first half of this thread, before Resurrections came out and I was convinced that the right move was simply to bite the bullet on the matrix really and truly being a scheme to generate electric power. That is to say, prisons are run for socioeconomic reasons, and those reasons always involve the management of the reserve army of labor - making sure it's big enough that it can be tapped for resources when needed, small enough that it never reaches the critical mass for a revolt, desperate enough that it'll ask how high when you tell it to jump, fed just enough that it doesn't literally die, etc.

Ah, great - I’m making some progress.

So, “the reserve army of labor” is a term that applies specifically to capitalist societies. It doesn’t make sense without the existence of a regimented army of labour as context - and there isn’t one in the movies. Strictly speaking, the people in the pods are not ‘unemployed’ because there is no employment in the psychic realm outside the matrix. Nobody outside the matrix is receiving a wage.

Again, this is the basic mistake of saying that, because prisons are a part of capitalist society, all forms of confinement are capitalist. From that bad logic comes the conclusion that the psychic machines must be profiting in some way, and the comatose humans must be doing some work, etc. Fundamentally, you are claiming the existence of a labour market in the psychic realm - but without any clear description of it.

The questions to ask are fairly straightforward: like, are any of the pod-people seeking employment in machine city? Of course the answer is “no”; the matrix is used to house the ‘exiles’ who are ‘without purpose’ - including humanity itself. Humans are homeless: paupers, lepers, or whatever you’d like to call them.

Even if the machines were capitalists (though we should be clear that they are not), the humans would be strictly unemployable because there’s really nothing they can do that a machine couldn’t do more cheaply. Speculation to the contrary just takes you further and further away from the text and into the realm of fantasy. The notion of humans unconsciously operating the offscreen fusion reactors because of institutional inertia is something you invented whole-cloth.

But what about the expository dialogue in Matrix 4? Can’t we apply it retroactively? Before we get into that mess, suffice it to say that the baddies in 4 are entirely new characters - “a new power” - about whom we know effectively nothing. The old machine characters, like Architect, are all dead.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ah, great - I’m making some progress.

So, “the reserve army of labor” is a term that applies specifically to capitalist societies. It doesn’t make sense without the existence of a regimented army of labour as context - and there isn’t one in the movies. Strictly speaking, the people in the pods are not ‘unemployed’ because there is no employment in the psychic realm outside the matrix. Nobody outside the matrix is receiving a wage.

Again, this is the basic mistake of saying that, because prisons are a part of capitalist society, all forms of confinement are capitalist. From that bad logic comes the conclusion that the psychic machines must be profiting in some way, and the comatose humans must be doing some work, etc. Fundamentally, you are claiming the existence of a labour market in the psychic realm - but without any clear description of it.

The questions to ask are fairly straightforward: like, are any of the pod-people seeking employment in machine city? Of course the answer is “no”; the matrix is used to house the ‘exiles’ who are ‘without purpose’ - including humanity itself. Humans are homeless: paupers, lepers, or whatever you’d like to call them.

Even if the machines were capitalists (though we should be clear that they are not), the humans would be strictly unemployable because there’s really nothing they can do that a machine couldn’t do more cheaply. Speculation to the contrary just takes you further and further away from the text and into the realm of fantasy. The notion of humans unconsciously operating the offscreen fusion reactors because of institutional inertia is something you invented whole-cloth.

But what about the expository dialogue in Matrix 4? Can’t we apply it retroactively? Before we get into that mess, suffice it to say that the baddies in 4 are entirely new characters - “a new power” - about whom we know effectively nothing. The old machine characters, like Architect, are all dead.

First off, you don't actually know that no one outside the matrix is receiving a wage. Rama-Kandra handles power plant recycling operations or something like that - how is he remunerated for his work? What if there used to be far more programs like Rama-Kandra until it was discovered that his ilk's highly technical skills could be devolved and distributed to unconscious humans instead, leaving most fusion plant-operating programs "purposeless" i.e. unemployed? The matrix may well have been a device to specifically break and scatter labor power!1

Second, in the one segment of my post you chose to quote, I'm springboarding off of your idea that there is a color-coded machine underclass dependent on the matrix to survive. Now, that underclass might be systematically abjected and coerced according to the logic of a capitalist market economy or by some retrograde or futuristic class society that we don't have enough concrete evidence to pin down. But if you're right that this program underclass exists (you are definitely not right that the matrix is "used to house them"; programs flee there to avoid deletion, they aren't shipped there by default, and "exiles" are hunted by agents same as unplugged humans), then those are the programs who are seeking but failing to find employment in machine society proper, whose lower-class status is cemented by the existence of intensive carceral infrastructure, and so on. How can the lower-class programs escape this fate? By no other means than joining themselves to the liberation struggle of the oppressed racial minority forced to the absolute bottom of society, which in this fictional world happens to be humanity.

Third, the notion of humans combined with fusion reactors powering machine society is put forward explicitly in the very first movie, never denied, and completely consistent with the actions of program characters whenever it's brought up (for instance, the Architect conceding that the machines are using humans to survive). Though even the extreme case of treating the matrix as a purely carceral energy sink that is at best used as a release valve for the lowest dregs of the cyber-populace should lead us to the same basic conclusions, it's actually less elegant and more of a stretch to pretend that the namesake of the movie has no direct (rather than purely indirect) economic utility. Even if you want to discount the fourth movie's explicit doubling-down on the energy generation angle you're left with a range of possibilities including the original script's "brains used as processors" thing.

1. I want to be extremely, extremely clear here that whether or not the machines actually trade with and employ each other has no bearing on the greater metaphor of the machines, as a whole, representing capital, as a whole, because capital and capitalists are different things

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 13, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

First off, you don't actually know that no one outside the matrix is receiving a wage. Rama-Kandra handles power plant recycling operations or something like that - how is he remunerated for his work? What if there used to be far more programs like Rama-Kandra until it was discovered that his ilk's highly technical skills could be devolved and distributed to unconscious humans instead, leaving most fusion plant-operating programs "purposeless" i.e. unemployed? The matrix may well have been a device to specifically break and scatter labor power!1

"We handle this in our cloud-based neural computing network, the Internet of Humans"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"We handle this in our cloud-based neural computing network, the Internet of Humans"

Which is far less efficient than having programs do it... unless, say, those programs are clamoring for raises.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

First off, you don't actually know that no one outside the matrix is receiving a wage. Rama-Kandra handles power plant recycling operations or something like that - how is he remunerated for his work? What if there used to be far more programs like Rama-Kandra until it was discovered that his ilk's highly technical skills could be devolved and distributed to unconscious humans instead, leaving most fusion plant-operating programs "purposeless" i.e. unemployed? The matrix may well have been a device to specifically break and scatter labor power!

We do know that nobody outside the matrix receives a wage, because nobody outside the matrix receives a wage in any of the movies. You seem to have ceded this point, given the repeated assertions that it doesn’t actually matter to you at all.

So, your actual argument is simply that the machines are a ‘metaphor for capital’. In other words, Tom Anderson is a worker working at Metacortex Software. He’s working for human capitalists. Literal capital is all over the place here - including such things as Tom’s office, cubicle, desk, and so-on.

Morpheus then uses techno-drugs to show Tom a metaphorical vision-quest where the cubicle is - metaphorically - a stasis pod and his work PC is - metaphorically - a squidlike robot. The functioning of the robot and the pod aren’t really important, as they are just a metaphor for the mundane actual stuff. There is no actual machine society; the machines are ‘just machines’ and the social relations are between Tom and Mr. Rhineheart.

Consequently, you’ve kinda fallen back to the point where I began my analysis: observing that the alien machines are ‘just’ neutral machines caught up in the human socioeconomics. The difference is that I’ve gone further and successfully bridged the ‘literal’ and ‘metaphorical’.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

We do know that nobody outside the matrix receives a wage, because nobody outside the matrix receives a wage in any of the movies. You seem to have ceded this point, given the repeated assertions that it doesn’t actually matter to you at all.

So, your actual argument is simply that the machines are a ‘metaphor for capital’. In other words, Tom Anderson is a worker working at Metacortex Software. He’s working for human capitalists. Literal capital is all over the place here - including such things as Tom’s office, cubicle, desk, and so-on.

Morpheus then uses techno-drugs to show Tom a metaphorical vision-quest where the cubicle is - metaphorically - a stasis pod and his work PC is - metaphorically - a squidlike robot. The functioning of the robot and the pod aren’t really important, as they are just a metaphor for the mundane actual stuff. There is no actual machine society; the machines are ‘just machines’ and the social relations are between Tom and Mr. Rhineheart.

Consequently, you’ve kinda fallen back to the point where I began my analysis: observing that the alien machines are ‘just’ neutral machines caught up in the human socioeconomics. The difference is that I’ve gone further and successfully bridged the ‘literal’ and ‘metaphorical’.

I'm trying to play ball with you, here. It doesn't matter (or rather, it doesn't change my underlying point; it's still a fun side question) how the programs perceive their own internal economic relations. Since you're putting forward a machine hierarchy in which the mass incarceration infrastructure of the matrix allows for the exile of machine undesirables, I'm pointing out that this brings us back to, at the very worst, my minimalist energy-generation-agnostic position: massive prison systems are run for socioeconomic reasons, not moral ones. Abolition is a socialist struggle in and of itself. The minimalist position is less credible than actually granting that the matrix serves some direct productive purpose (and, indeed, I really enjoy the matrix as a mirrored version of usual struggles over labor and automation - how would machines "automate" things in order to put other machines out of work? they're all machines! well, they'd use non-machines, i.e. humans), but it's still useful for making the above point.

So, what's the use of Neo realizing that his office chair and the fund out of which Mr. Rhineheart's salary is paid are actually part of the same protean super-entity that's feeding off both his and Rhineheart's life-force? Well, in practical terms it ends up putting him in conflict with the cops and not just his boss. But even in purely theoretical terms it is actually more correct than seeing capital as "just" stuff and his relationship with Rhineheart as the decisive element in Metacortex's operation. There a million Rhinehearts and a hundred million Andersons out there. Why do they keep playing out the same dramas? It's not because of their interpersonal dynamics.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 14, 2022

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Every Matrix movie has been good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I realized today that I had completely forgotten this movie even came out. Yikes.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Resurrections is okay but probably the weakest one in the series.

But if anything, it continues the trend of Matrix movies being "not as good as the last one"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I honestly don't really like 2 and 3, and am fond of 4. But I recognize that 2 and 3 are more visually ambitious and technically better.

The Matrix is such a tight and perfect movie for me, I think it would be hard for 2 and 3 to be enjoyable for me at all unless they went in very, very different directions with a whole new set of characters. 4 embracing the absurdity of its existence works for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Trollologist posted:

Resurrections is okay but probably the weakest one in the series.

But if anything, it continues the trend of Matrix movies being "not as good as the last one"

nah, as bad as Resurrections was, it was much better than 3 imho ITT

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

I realized today that I had completely forgotten this movie even came out. Yikes.

Man that sucks. I feel bad for you. Bc it’s a really good movie

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

nah, as bad as Resurrections was, it was much better than 3 imho ITT

Revolutions has some memorable scenes and at least a few interesting things going on. Matrix 21 directly tells the viewer it sucks poo poo and isn't worth thinking about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Man that sucks. I feel bad for you. Bc it’s a really good movie

it does indeed suck that i can't like everything

if i thought everything was awesome, that would own. i wouldn't have to scroll through netflix, i could just hit Play Anything and think "hell yeah"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everything I don’t like I don’t think about.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sounds like a good way to go insane.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bedshaped posted:

Matrix 21 directly tells the viewer it sucks poo poo and isn't worth thinking about.

Yeah! and that rules! Movies talking about the theme of how much movies suck don't get greenlit very often! There is ten trillion movies a year about how great and important and beautiful film making are. It rules someone got to make "god, the way they make movies now sucks" and then giving it 190 million dollars to make that.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sure, but at least be entertaining

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was so hyped for this, gf even got me a Matrix 4 official T-shirt

:smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd like to say I was smart and cool enough to not be hyped, but that last trailer got me good.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was interested in it. Then I watched it. And when an agent started thinking for himself I got loving 1,000% hype. And then when I learned it was a sub matrix, and it was secretly fake Morpheus. The movie took a drop.

It was okay.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
fake morpheus is funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HorseLord posted:

fake morpheus is funny

one of the highlights of the movie

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HorseLord posted:

fake morpheus is funny

as someone who loved matrix 1/2, fake morpheus was cool, the worst part was them going nowhere with him after his introduction

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

as someone who loved matrix 1/2, fake morpheus was cool, the worst part was them going nowhere with him after his introduction

As sentient AI, created by a man to be an homage to another man and forced to play a role as a whole other entity, he should have had a loving psychotic break at some point in the movie, coming to grips with what he is. I would have liked that scene.

Also, what the gently caress was the model? Is that like, explained at all? Is it a real place you can go to in the matrix that neo pretend coded????

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would have been a lot more forgiving of the last third if Nupheus had still been hamming it up instead of being sent to die in the vents

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The 4K physical release is out now. I watched a bit last night and looks quite good. Sadly doesn’t have the fun philosopher and critics commentaries like the others. There are quite a few special features for those who, like me, enjoy that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This movie was filmed during heavy heavy covid lockdown. I feel like they couldn't possibly have meant for his story to go how it did. It feels so much like he was a casualty from shifting filming.

Like a top character suddenly going "uhh, he's a CGI man now" followed by "he never shows up in the movie again" feels like writing someone out because the actor can't get through covid travel restrictions in early 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Once I found out Lawrence and Hugo were "scheduling conflicts" then I accepted the movie just has problems and it's not as meta as I thought. And that's ok.

Morpheus had way more to do in the final act but got written out from what I heard it was too hard to do with the CGI.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RBX posted:

Once I found out Lawrence and Hugo were "scheduling conflicts" then I accepted the movie just has problems and it's not as meta as I thought. And that's ok.

Morpheus had way more to do in the final act but got written out from what I heard it was too hard to do with the CGI.

Last I heard they never asked Fishburne to do it. At minimum, not getting Weaving back was a huge mistake, even if Jonathan Groff was serviceable. Weaving is not really replaceable in this role, he's as important as getting Keanu back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
OG Morpheus was always mainly associated with the original matrix where its clearly a humans vs machines story. Reloaded questions this concept and Morpheus's beliefs with it. Morpheus' other defining characteristic is complete faith and dogmatism to the One mythology. Reloaded and Revolutions are critical of this aspect and show how such mythology can be used for control, or as Niobe will say in Resurrections, another matrix. But of course from his perspective, Neo fulfilled the prophesy at the end of Revolutions, defeated the machines somehow, and saved all of humanity. So seeing as his One religion was confirmed, it makes sense that he would have difficulty moving on from the us vs them mentality and learn to live in the new human + programs + machines harmony world.

And in that sense, it makes sense that they never asked Fishburne to come back. Stil it could have been fun to see him as grand head of the council of zion for a while. Man has gravitas.

I love Weaving, but I do think Groff works quite well. There is a theme of moving on and not going back. You have the whole meta aspect of making a sequel to the game, but then also retreads of fights from the first trilogy that Neo this time just does not want to deal with. IO of course shows the new human + program integration. And the ending has them rejecting the failsafe to reset the matrix to the old 1999 version. Weaving definitely could have still worked with this, but I do think there is an aspect of Groff's youth that ties into the modern gaming studio heads or film producers.