Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This plot is as convoluted as most anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

checkplease posted:

I love Weaving, but I do think Groff works quite well. There is a theme of moving on and not going back. You have the whole meta aspect of making a sequel to the game, but then also retreads of fights from the first trilogy that Neo this time just does not want to deal with. IO of course shows the new human + program integration. And the ending has them rejecting the failsafe to reset the matrix to the old 1999 version. Weaving definitely could have still worked with this, but I do think there is an aspect of Groff's youth that ties into the modern gaming studio heads or film producers.

I think you're right about how Groff fits in better for the setting. I also think there is an aspect of Smith having already moved on from things earlier in the plot and having a new appearance works with that. It could have been cool to see Weaving appear at points where Smith falls back into the old patterns, like when he takes the gun during the office raid or the fight in the warehouse. Something else like him showing up at the end as Weaving then switching to Groff when its clear he's actually helping could have really hammered the point.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Right. The old Smith is an aspect of a war that is no longer being fought. Just like Morpheus. That smith wanted to destroy everyone while the old Morpheus wanted to free everyone. Others in this thread have argued this is the same thing, but either way this new film is more about living with the matrix than fighting it. So a new smith makes senses. Also works out that the new Morpheus is designed to be a combination of both old freedom fighters.

But I like that idea of using Weaving in some capacity. He’s just so fun to watch.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok if you get a chance, people should check out the Resurrecting the Matrix special feature on the new physical release. This is a 30 min making of the film feature that includes interviews with Lana, reeves, and all of the other production and actors.

Some of the highlights:

Lana starts by talking about her reasons for coming back to the film (parents death and such). Lana then talks a bit about her trans experience and how fantasy and sci fi genres were always a way to escape.

Lana and David Mitchel talk about the collaboration for writing the script. The video game aspect was always one of the main ideas.

They discuss the in movie brainstorming matrix 4 montage. She says these are the ideas that people always told her what the matrix was, so she did want to mock them a bit (bullet time guy). But more importantly she said that this was to show the magic and power of art. All of these montage ideas could be true at once.

A lot of time is spent discussing her change in filming style. Originally Lana and Lilly liked to very rigidly story board scenes and follow these almost exactly. Now she wants to be much more free form with ideas mapped out, but exact scenes are felt out by the actors and directors on set. They would try scene and review and make changes as needed vs the 80+ takes of first films.

This free form aspect pertains to the colors and lighting too. Lana states that she used to love fake lighting and preferred filming in studios. She loved the control of lights and weather. Now she loves natural lighting. She wants to use real sunlight constantly and film outdoors at night too. For the building jump scene, they waited for the right sunset moment.

The natural lighting is also meant to tie in thematically. Reeves points out that all of these nice sunlight scenes take place inside of the matrix world, further blurring the lines between what is real. The colors were intentionally not all green in this way too.

There’s a lot of real effects. Motorcycles and helicopters, but also 1000 extras for the swarm.

The composer wanted the music to also reflect this more free style while also honoring the originals ost.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Anyone else notice that they point out that Morpheus' physical representation has limitations, like a slightly more advanced Arnold Rimmer hologram, and then he just walks/rolls/jumps/drains right up to Trinitys pod?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just realized I still own the Animatrix on bluray. It was just that I have a slimpack version of the trilogy+Animatrix (4 discs in a regular sized bluray case) so when I was looking for it, I completely missed it on my shelf. I'll need to hold onto this unless they do a 4k version of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This movie was filmed during heavy heavy covid lockdown. I feel like they couldn't possibly have meant for his story to go how it did. It feels so much like he was a casualty from shifting filming.

Like a top character suddenly going "uhh, he's a CGI man now" followed by "he never shows up in the movie again" feels like writing someone out because the actor can't get through covid travel restrictions in early 2020

Fake Morpheus had a big climactic fight that they cut.out due to the budget

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Abalone Malone posted:

was the movie any good?

It gives neo’s saga a much better conclusion than loving matrix revelations so it was worth it for that if nothing else

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The biggest mistake people make with the Matrix is thinking they're adaptations of Baudrillard and not Ken Wilber

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
So, now that some time has passed: what's up with the evil "NPC" zombie-agents being identifiable by their glowing green covid masks?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Got an example? I just watched the motorcycle chase scene from resurrections and just green eyes, no masks (when you even seen faces of the swarm).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Got an example? I just watched the motorcycle chase scene from resurrections and just green eyes, no masks (when you even seen faces of the swarm).

During the train fight scene. It looks like the effects were unfinished, because the masks switch from displaying matrix code to not-glowing depending on the shot.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh right, yeah there are several masks in the train fight including one masker who gets tossed out the window. Had this movie been more popular maybe it would have been a new red pill.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they're on a train set, the performers probably needed them.

I imagine they were, quite literally, Covid masks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Only like two of the agents in that scene wore masks. What an absolutely bizarre question.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MJeff posted:

Only like two of the agents in that scene wore masks. What an absolutely bizarre question.

The masks are CGI’d to glow bright green with flashing numbers, which is not something that can happen accidentally. Artists would have had to be instructed to go in frame-by-frame. It would have cost money.

The green numbers purposefully match the agents’ eyes, which glow green to convey that they are soulless NPCs.

Masks are the only other thing that glow this way. Not shoes, or hats.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One character has a mask with green text on it and their mask has green text on it before they get "activated" and start attacking. The other characters in masks don't have any green text on them at all. I can't believe you're calling a presumably nice girl an "NPC" just because she's considerate enough to wear a mask on a crowded train and owns merchandise from an extremely popular trilogy of video games.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The masks worn by the japanese extras in the train were the actual masks used and worn by production, and were all black with green code on them. They put them in the scene because it'd a) make life easier b) it's "Japan" where people wear masks at the best of times and c) The Matrix is an in-universe franchise so it's game merch.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MJeff posted:

One character has a mask with green text on it and their mask has green text on it before they get "activated" and start attacking. The other characters in masks don't have any green text on them at all. I can't believe you're calling a presumably nice girl an "NPC" just because she's considerate enough to wear a mask on a crowded train and owns merchandise from an extremely popular trilogy of video games.

Oh, well that’s good. It was just an already-odd concept that looked ‘off’ due to the combination of the frenetic camerawork / editing and heavy saturation with the colour timing. It ended up looking like a cheap digital effect was being applied to characters at random.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's alright, just try to pay closer attention next time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MJeff posted:

It's alright, just try to pay closer attention next time.

Ok: the girl in the green mask actually is shown to have the green eyes from the moment she's introduced (if you go frame-by-frame). There's also a 'continuity error' where she's shown jumping on Keanu Reeves twice, which contributed to the impression that there were more than one of her. This was exacerbated by the fact that most of the assailants in the scene are wearing masks and dark jackets.

In any case, the main issue was having the "bot" character wear a neon-green mask at all. The mask is (apparently?) an in-joke related to the production, but the end result is a character that wears a glowing green mask that's identical to her glowing green eyes. If we're "supposed to" understand that those traits are totally unrelated, well, how so?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 14, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just coming in here to say that I have been in full on Matrix Mania hype mode over the rerelease last week, ended up dragging along a bunch of my friends including my GF who hasn't seen it, and got to experience the sheer bliss of watching someone's face light up as Trinity shoots the agent in the head and they finally realize that they're watching the coolest film of all time (and then seeing them realize that over and over again throughout the third act).

Also I just rewatched Reloaded with Rocco Botte's commentary from 2012 and it's fascinating whenever he talks about what it was like being a fan back in 2003, when the movies had real cultural purchase. We talk a lot now about how disappointing the sequels are or whatever but he talks about hearing the audience turn against the movie as it continued and that just fascinates me. (For the record I am pro-sequels and pro-Resurrections, as I assume everyone else in this thread is.) I guess if I want to be a true MatrixHead Freak I should probably play the PS2 game to get the real and full experience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat they’re really rereleasing this movie every March now lol

Kinda owns

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is Matrix it now like the FIFA games now?

I was extremely hyped up for Reloaded of course but I remember pretty clearly people, myself included, losing faith in the movie as it went along. A few people were making fun of it at times. I didn't see the first one in the theaters but I can't imagine that happening during the coolest movie of all times.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What's that about a rerelease?

Also I think Reloaded really got an unfair shake in its time possibly just because of what it was trying to live up to. I look back on it now and I just loving love it, the whole chateau fight into the highway chase is one of my favorite action scenes ever.

I should watch Ressurections again, I really liked the weird meta aspects at the time. I wonder how a marathon of all four movies would feel.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

mutantIke posted:

Just coming in here to say that I have been in full on Matrix Mania hype mode over the rerelease last week, ended up dragging along a bunch of my friends including my GF who hasn't seen it, and got to experience the sheer bliss of watching someone's face light up as Trinity shoots the agent in the head and they finally realize that they're watching the coolest film of all time (and then seeing them realize that over and over again throughout the third act).

Also I just rewatched Reloaded with Rocco Botte's commentary from 2012 and it's fascinating whenever he talks about what it was like being a fan back in 2003, when the movies had real cultural purchase. We talk a lot now about how disappointing the sequels are or whatever but he talks about hearing the audience turn against the movie as it continued and that just fascinates me. (For the record I am pro-sequels and pro-Resurrections, as I assume everyone else in this thread is.) I guess if I want to be a true MatrixHead Freak I should probably play the PS2 game to get the real and full experience.

I remember fondly the cultural atmosphere around the Matrix sequels - there was a ton of anticipation, I remember routinely browsing Matrix forums for speculation and theories, it was a lot of fun. Even after Reloaded came out, folks were super jazzed to talk about what everything meant, what every possible theory hole went down. Were there Matrices within Matrices? I think the feeling really dissipated after Revolutions because the film, while fine, didn't care to go down many of those open doors that Reloaded threw open at the end of the film. Maybe it was too messy, maybe it would have entailed a ton more from the Wachowskis to really deliver, and maybe it was impossible to deliver on people's expectations (probably mostly the latter).

I kinda feel like ultimately, the Matrix is a perfect action movie that has a fun science fiction and philosophical gloss on top and the sequels just can't deliver that elegant balance of pop philosophy plus action, it's actually an impossible goal because so much of that thrill comes from the reveal of the universe of the Matrix and that can't be duplicated really.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was there any ARG content promoted by the studios around the release of Reloaded and Revolutions? Seems like the perfect franchise to hide a bunch of easter eggs around the internet but IDK if studios were wise to that kind of marketing yet, back in '03.

I loved the fervour around the release of the sequels. It was Star Wars-level fandom, IMO. People lined up outside theatres dressed like runners. I was in tenth grade and bought into that poo poo whole-hog. Endless conversations speculating how it's all going to go down, marvelling at the scale of the production ("Bro they BUILT A HIGHWAY IN THE DESERT"). The video game tie-ins were also fantastic.

Re: 'matrices within matrices', I know this was the dominating theory coming out of Reloaded. I mean there are few other ways you can interpret Neo being able to kill the sentinels, it's either that or he actually is some kind of god IRL. I'm glad they didn't really go with either answer in the end.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Mike N Eich posted:

I think the feeling really dissipated after Revolutions because the film, while fine, didn't care to go down many of those open doors that Reloaded threw open at the end of the film.

I think it's true that the third movie is a lot less philosophical, but it's no less thematically deep than reloaded, it just focuses on deconstructing different elements. Reloaded is mostly about dismantling the chosen one narrative, and in that journey it uses a lot of philosophical language/concepts, ergo vis a vis concordantly.

Meanwhile Revolutions goes broader and focuses on deconstructing the narrative of war between humans and machines itself. It doesn't do that with info dumps like the first two, but bakes it more into the storyline itself, with the Mobil Ave stuff and everything involving Neo's machine sight. (Side note, I think there's something to be said for the series as an allegory for real life war with Smith as the military-industrial complex, but that's a topic for another time.)

Revolutions is definitely the worse movie from a structural/blockbuster perspective but I don't think it's dumber or less contemplative, it just discusses its themes in a different way.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I still have a massive soft spot for Reloaded even though it's not the movie I wanted it to be. I just remember being so hyped for it. I didn't see the first Matrix in theaters but fell in love WITH THE VHS because it was the 90s. I remember waiting in line for Reloaded tickets, feeling like this was going to be my Star Wars, the trilogy that I would get to experience first and would define whatever in the way that Star Wars was *the* movie for the generation before me. It never reached those heights but the ride was still worth it, and Reloaded has some really fun set pieces. I appreciate still that the series took itself seriously in a way a lot of science fiction doesn't anymore.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think what people were reacting against was that since the first movie was so simple in its core, and really at its most basic level a heroic journey of self realization that managed to twinge a sympathetic nerve for people's fears of conformity and control.

There's plenty to like in the sequels but it is radically doing something else, and I'd argue, much more complicated and fragmented narratives where what the story is really about is said rapidly and asks something completely else from the audience.

And it's not a Dune thing where the ambivalence and lack of certainty and a traditional narrative was embedded in the original property. It's a veering off completely from the straight forward action substance, and on rewatch is more about it having interesting parts than the sum as a whole, at least for me.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqWY-er68cE

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I know it has been pointed out a million times elsewhere but I am just going to say that I think it is pretty cool that The Matrix's 25th birthday happened to land on Easter. It is also pretty cool that The Matrix's release date and Trans Day Of Visibility are both March 31st. Just some wonderful synergy going on there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mutantIke posted:

I know it has been pointed out a million times elsewhere but I am just going to say that I think it is pretty cool that The Matrix's 25th birthday happened to land on Easter. It is also pretty cool that The Matrix's release date and Trans Day Of Visibility are both March 31st. Just some wonderful synergy going on there.

I saw a tweet talking about this and was going to come to this thread to share it! And then you posted it. So I'm quoting your post instead. Well done. :ocelot:

But yeah. Movie made by two transwomen about cyber jesus. Pretty darn cool.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1775561399823171673

They could do a lot worse than Goddard I guess.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
No thank you

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In what universe are you gonna get Reeves or Fisher to come back without either Wachowski involved?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

In what universe are you gonna get Reeves or Fisher to come back without either Wachowski involved?

Replaced by AI.

It's very meta, you see.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MJeff posted:

Lana is executive producing so she could be involved quote heavily or not at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1775561399823171673

They could do a lot worse than Goddard I guess.

https://twitter.com/jbromovies/status/1775567305923239944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Lana is executive producing so she could be involved quote heavily or not at all.

I assume it's something like "we give you $500,000 and an EP credit, and in exchange you agree to not badmouth the movie publicly".