Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/strangeharbors/status/1775568987486621773

Lana really did make sure to toss a match behind her with Resurrections, juuuuuuuuuust in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Resurrections doesn’t actually hamper any sequels; it’s always been a soft reboot.

The matrix infrastructure is back under the control of rude robots, there’s a new Zion, and the only change to the status quo is the Neo and Trinity are the new architect/oracle (which was already implicit at the end of Matrix 1, when Neo just decides to become God).

Matrix Resurrections 100% returns things back to where they were at the end of Matrix 1 and sets the stage for a Halloween 2018/Superman Returns sequel that ignores/overrides the ‘bad’ entries.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Pinterest Mom posted:

I assume it's something like "we give you $500,000 and an EP credit, and in exchange you agree to not badmouth the movie publicly".

Last time she took like $100m US dollars from WB and used it to produce the most expensive and elaborate :fuckoff: in human history.

Either she was genuinely brought around by whatever the pitch is, or there's some 'Do not poo poo on our business properties to the media' clause in her contract she got around last time by just having characters in the film turn to camera and do it for her instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Last time she took like $100m US dollars from WB and used it to produce the most expensive and elaborate :fuckoff: in human history.

Either she was genuinely brought around by whatever the pitch is, or there's some 'Do not poo poo on our business properties to the media' clause in her contract she got around last time by just having characters in the film turn to camera and do it for her instead.

$200 million or so, actually. Resurrections was a very costly bomb for WB.

Anyway, the whole reason she did Resurrections was because WB said, "Look, we're going to do Matrix for with you or without you, it's your call."

And executive producer titles on movies can mean anything. JJ Abrams, for example, is listed as an executive producer on a jillion things a year but he has no involvement in them beyond attaching his name to them so they can get financing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna be a weirdo and say cautiously looking forward to this. I like Drew’s films. People don’t like El Royale but I thought it was a wild little movie and quite enjoyed it.

I think the matrix has potential for other stories in the world outside of neo.

But if this is another Neo story again I’m less into it. We’ll see.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Honestly I've always wanted a live action anthology series or movie like Animatrix that features the lives of other people in the universe.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/eventualforever/status/1775820711912784111

A quick glance at his resume, Drew seems like a fine gent, but these jokes at his expense are pretty funny.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The first movie was good.

The rest?

*sound of toilet flushing *

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm pretty sure you're the first guy in history to have that incredibly interesting and brave opinion. Do you have anything to say about the Star Wars prequels? Maybe you've got a hot take on M Night Shyamalan? Please, tell us more.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah, that’s wild, most people think the movies have gotten progressively better after a middling first entry

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Somebody needs to start one of those "Looking back, it was actually good." campaigns for Reloaded.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They’re all good, flawed movies that I’d rather watch than almost any other action/scifi movie of the last two decades

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think I like 4 more than 1 in retrospect, even if 1 is unarguably the more influential and better put together movie.

2 and 3 are eh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Colonel Whitey posted:

They’re all good, flawed movies that I’d rather watch than almost any other action/scifi movie of the last two decades

I feel comfortable saying 1 is flawless.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I should have specified I meant the sequels. 1 is perfect

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MJeff posted:

Somebody needs to start one of those "Looking back, it was actually good." campaigns for Reloaded.

You're maybe fifteen years behind the times on this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Resurrection was awesome. Some of the fights didn't hold a candle to the first three and a few were downright not good but a few were exceptional. But everything else? Fantastic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Can't wait for Neo to call in with his catchphrase "I know kung fu" and then matrix all over them for the 5th time.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
You'd think after the failure of Resurrections and Indiana Jones that these studio heads would get it through their loving skulls that brand recognition is not enough to propel a movie into success, and in fact there seems to be active audience backlash against these unnecessary sequels.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
After the garbage fire that was Resurrections, I'm curious in what way this one will fail. I'm hoping they'll at least try to tell some kind of new story within the Matrix universe, instead of dragging back Neo and Trinity and Smith and whoever the gently caress to milk the nostalgia.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

You'd think after the failure of Resurrections and Indiana Jones that these studio heads would get it through their loving skulls that brand recognition is not enough to propel a movie into success, and in fact there seems to be active audience backlash against these unnecessary sequels.

If they have to, just tell another story in the same universe. We all love Ford and Reeves, but we're far far past the era where audiences blindly show up for stars. Animatrix laid out a template.

At least it sounds like Goddard had an idea he approached the studio with rather than the other way around, so maybe there will be more behind it than just empty nostalgia.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

If they have to, just tell another story in the same universe. We all love Ford and Reeves, but we're far far past the era where audiences blindly show up for stars. Animatrix laid out a template.

At least it sounds like Goddard had an idea he approached the studio with rather than the other way around, so maybe there will be more behind it than just empty nostalgia.

Yeah, but it was probably an idea for a non-Matrix film.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ImpAtom posted:

I think I like 4 more than 1 in retrospect, even if 1 is unarguably the more influential and better put together movie.

2 and 3 are eh.

Mentally, I can't categorize Resurrections in the same group of movies as the original trilogy - it's an odd duck.

Regardless, I was grinning like an idiot 15 minutes in when I realized that it's the closest movie to turn around and bite the hand that's feeding it since I saw Tropic Thunder

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
New Matrix but this time with sarcastic kids.

But really if we are lucky it will be all be from the pov of the Merovingian.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wiki piss and poo poo. :hmmyes:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

A charming tale of one Frenchman's journey to become the world's most celebrated pâtissier.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chalamet just sat up in bed

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Lilly walking away and co-writing/directing a lowish budget dramady about a suicidal middle aged dyke dating a millennial trans dude is more interesting that Lana making a $200 million dollar Matrix movie about how people shouldn't make more Matrix movies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The problem with the bad-on-purpose interpretation is that “WB shouldn’t do a Matrix 4” is the first act of the narrative - and then there’s an arc where they ultimately say “do it for the fans! Do it for the people you love! Do it for yourself!”

Like, when Wachowski ends it with that Rage cover, I’m fairly confident in saying that she was going for at least some kind of ‘triumphant’.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
you reminded me that the rage cover exist and now my day is ruined

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have my doubts that Reeves will sign on to do another Matrix sequel without involvement of the Wackowskis. Which I guess could be a good thing ultimately if it makes them do a story where Neo isn't the center of the universe for once.

I know Lana is producing but what does that really mean.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

you reminded me that the rage cover exist and now my day is ruined
Yeah they really pissed all over the original

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I have my doubts that Reeves will sign on to do another Matrix sequel without involvement of the Wackowskis. Which I guess could be a good thing ultimately if it makes them do a story where Neo isn't the center of the universe for once.

I know Lana is producing but what does that really mean.

It's pretty easy to recast Neo. They can just say It's a new version or something. Neo 2.0.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Putting in a vote for Quinta Brunson as Morpheus XP Service Pack 2.

But there's no way this can be good, right? Surely they can't get me again.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 8, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Neo is the least interesting thing about The Matrix universe. Like the Jedi in Star Wars.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
gimme a story about a previous "one"

gimme a story about the merovingian or other random non-agent programs

give me anything that isn't neo trinity and morpheus because they are the sisters' allegory deliverers and i think different creative minds should be able to have a new sandbox and new characters to have their own vision

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite Animatrix short was about the kids finding a glitch in the Matrix and screwing around with it. And my favorite part of The Matrix is Neo having no loving clue what's going on and feeling his reality slipping away before he wakes up. I don't need to have my mind blown learning about what the matrix is again, and it's impossible to recapture that for the public at large, but I'd still love to watch a character go on that journey again. Ideally one that's very different from Neo's because we also go the story about Mouse which felt a bit too much like a retread, plus it wasn't a particularly interesting take on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cast Will Smith as Neo.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

My favorite Animatrix short was about the kids finding a glitch in the Matrix and screwing around with it. And my favorite part of The Matrix is Neo having no loving clue what's going on and feeling his reality slipping away before he wakes up. I don't need to have my mind blown learning about what the matrix is again, and it's impossible to recapture that for the public at large, but I'd still love to watch a character go on that journey again. Ideally one that's very different from Neo's because we also go the story about Mouse which felt a bit too much like a retread, plus it wasn't a particularly interesting take on it.

Time seems to pass in the Matrix (the first movie begins with Trinity and Cypher monitoring him in "1998" and he gets pulled out in "1999"), so that could be a fun way to play with it. For example, Anthony Zerbe's character was pulled out at 11 years old, which means from his perspective it would have been 1947 if they share the same birth year. He wouldn't have just had to learn about the Matrix, he'd have had to learn about computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
There's nothing especially compelling about the Matrix-verse beyond the conceit; if you push the lore/supernatural angle of the Matrix reality too far you lose the idea that we live in The Matrix.

The movies ultimately founder in the shallows inherent to all gnostic theologies.