Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

exquisite tea posted:

We could be in a new Matrix, with Neo surviving as some kind of rogue program in the same way the Merovingian was implied to be a remnant from the second version with vampires and poo poo. If I had to get people hyped to see another Matrix film though I’d probably drop all the wordy lore from the sequels, but would Lana Wachowski do the same? I honestly don’t know!

This works for Neo but Trinity was...quite dead . Dunno how they plausibly bring her back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

clean ayers act posted:

This works for Neo but Trinity was...quite dead . Dunno how they plausibly bring her back

Her "residual self-image" could maybe be recovered from all the deleted data left behind from the previous Matrix and re-coded by a new character to be inserted back into the new Matrix as a program.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Or she turns up in the matrix, they quickly suspect that she's just a program created to look like her, but it gets thorny when they realise she is very similar and conscious -- even if she's not exactly 'their' Trinity, how similar does she have to be to merit the name? They respect? The right to live at all?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Basebf555 posted:

maybe a new threat appears that forces The Source to re-upload him to fight for it again inside The Matrix.

They got another virus on their hands... The Matrix: Avast

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Neo and Trinity being more in the background while a new cast does stuff in the Matrix would be nice. (But I doubt it’ll happen)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lana and Lilly haven’t had a falling out, have they? Seems weird only Lana is working on stuff lately.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

Lana and Lilly haven’t had a falling out, have they? Seems weird only Lana is working on stuff lately.

I haven't heard about anything like that but for a while there it seemed like they were sliding more and more towards a semi-retirement so maybe there's some disagreement there about how to proceed with their careers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ZZZorcerer posted:

Neo and Trinity being more in the background while a new cast does stuff in the Matrix would be nice. (But I doubt it’ll happen)

You don't pay Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss's giant salaries (particularly Keanu) for them to be bit players.

For the Matrix sequels, he was making $15 million per film plus 15% of the GROSS.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

You don't pay Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss's giant salaries (particularly Keanu) for them to be bit players.

For the Matrix sequels, he was making $15 million per film plus 15% of the GROSS.

There's no reason to assume he'd demand that kind of money for a small role, and in recent years he's consistently said he'd gladly participate in a Matrix sequel if the Wackowskis were involved. I have no doubt that if he read the script and thought it was good, he'd be happy with whatever the story demanded of him and would ask appropriate money for it. He's done several smaller parts in recent years where he obviously wasn't being paid 15 million(The Bad Batch and Neon Demon come to mind).

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TrixRabbi posted:

still worth calling out that it's bullshit, hack, and OP can gently caress off

Maybe this isn't the thread for this kind of question, but what is the correct way to talk about the Wachowskis post transition? I saw the second matrix on Netflix (I think) and the movie description/credits referred specifically to them as "the Wachowski brothers." Obviously they're not going to reedit the movie to change the names in the credits but I found it strange that they didn't bother to update the text description. Like I'm sure the description was written at a time before they publicly transitioned so the writer isn't intentionally misgendering them.

Is it more correct to say something like: the Wachowski brothers directed the first matrix and now they are sisters, or that the Wachowski sisters directed the first matrix and they were never brothers? Or do you just skirt the question and call them the Wachowskis?

I'm asking in good faith just so I understand better how to talk about it. Anyway, I'm very excited for the new Matrix and kind of hope they take it in a completely different direction. While a 90s throwback with shiny leather and sunglasses might be fun, I'd also like to see something more along the lines of Sense8.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The wachowski sisters or the wachowski’s

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I'm asking in good faith just so I understand better how to talk about it.

The answer is that there's not uniformity among people who are trans as to how they relate to themselves pre-transition, so there's no rule or standard in any general sense. It's pretty common for people to want their preferred pronoun/label applied retroactively (the Wachowski Sisters, even if they were male-identified at the time), but others either don't care or feel strongly the other way: they are who they are NOW but were not in the past.

You'd have to ask the Wackowskis their preference. I'm not even sure if they prefer "Sisters" today, because they're also quite vocal about nonbinary or genderqueer identity, as well.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

The wachowski sisters or the wachowski’s

You don’t use an apostrophe to make things plural :mad:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

pocket pool posted:

The plot of which was lifted almost entirely from some book.

It wasn’t but don’t let not even knowing what book you’re referring to slow you down

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Anyway, I'm very excited for the new Matrix and kind of hope they take it in a completely different direction. While a 90s throwback with shiny leather and sunglasses might be fun, I'd also like to see something more along the lines of Sense8.

It had better be full-on leather and vinyl late 90s goth-industrial, because i'm sick of faux-80s/early 90s hyper-saturated color spaces in entertainment. Bring back trenchcoats and combat boots imo

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Are there any recent movies that are creating tomorrow's tired visual effects imagery the way the Matrix did when it came out?

Also, I hope Matrix 4 is as visually creative as the original was. I'll forgive a poo poo story if it's another feast for the eyes.

e.
I mean the special effects side of things specifically, not just cool fight choreography.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

It wasn’t but don’t let not even knowing what book you’re referring to slow you down

It was actually lifted from an episode of Doctor Who starring Tom Baker.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
I wonder if this can also be seen as an attempt by Lana to reclaim some of the lost messages that were horribly warped over the years thanks to the whole "red pill," movement.

A friend stated that for them, the whole lobby scene is way more chilling when you see in a contemporary lens. The whole concept of being hardwired into The Matrix making you a potential agent that can turn at any time, and how that leads to shootouts with cops, security guards, swat, etc, is harder for them to watch.

I do agree with the concept that the sequels were an attempt to reframe the original by having the equivalent of god say, "Hey Neo, guess what? We know humans are violent by nature, we knew you'd always fight back, so we built-in controls to make sure that you'd always lose if you guys went to war with us." (I know the movie is over ten years old, but you never know)

Knowing nothing about what's going to happen though, I'm optimistic. Only because I love Keanu and Carrie-Ann.

ItWasMoida fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 23, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It’s about the next incarnation of Neo, played by Cary-Ann Moss. Keanu plays her Trinity.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing is, the lobby scene was pretty loving shocking at the time too. Like, the movie coming out so soon after Columbine and having that scene is why its theatrical release got kind of buried.

I feel like it mostly sank into pop culture as Cool Action Scene rather than Creepy Mass Murder Scene because a large chunk of people who saw it were kids. The Matrix was probably the last dying gasp of the mentality that gave us Alien toys and a Rambo cartoon.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The thing is, the lobby scene was pretty loving shocking at the time too. Like, the movie coming out so soon after Columbine and having that scene is why its theatrical release got kind of buried.
It didn't get buried, it was a big hit, and also the movie came out 3 weeks before Columbine.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Yeah, I thought a lot of the "Harris and Klebold wore trench coats" observations by media talking heads pointed the blame squarely at The Matrix, which means that twenty years later there's a non zero chance the 24-hour news cycle will try to correlate a new Matrix movie with the next mass shooting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It didn't get buried, it was a big hit, and also the movie came out 3 weeks before Columbine.

Uh yeah The Matrix is one of the highest grossing R films ever made and was immediately, profoundly influential to pop culture in a way few original movies are. Its theatrical release was definitely not buried lol.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah, I thought a lot of the "Harris and Klebold wore trench coats" observations by media talking heads pointed the blame squarely at The Matrix, which means that twenty years later there's a non zero chance the 24-hour news cycle will try to correlate a new Matrix movie with the next mass shooting

yeah but its harder to get the media interested in mass shootings these days.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

clean ayers act posted:

In the MMO (which was canon, apparently) it was eventually revealed that Neo and Trinity both originated from research into humans and machine code directly interfacing (i.e. without using the matrix). Most of the third film is spent beating you over the head with the idea that there's no real difference between a human mind and a simulated one, so someone being "resurrected" from the matrix certainly isn't out of the question.

I would also be down for the Wachowskis ignoring as much of the previous canon as they want.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just do the matrix now again but now the humans have infected the robots with memes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Party Boat posted:

In the MMO (which was canon, apparently) it was eventually revealed that Neo and Trinity both originated from research into humans and machine code directly interfacing (i.e. without using the matrix). Most of the third film is spent beating you over the head with the idea that there's no real difference between a human mind and a simulated one, so someone being "resurrected" from the matrix certainly isn't out of the question.

I would also be down for the Wachowskis ignoring as much of the previous canon as they want.

Both of those seem pretty solid options.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The hallway scene shocked me when I watched it because it wasn’t lost on me these were just regular human schmoes doing their jobs when superhuman S&M mercenaries showed up and murdered them. The film doesn’t really linger on it too much but it is horrifying

The way this movie should handle Neo and Trinity living is the Mad Max option. gently caress the canon and how the last movie ended, this is justt another tale in the mythology of these two larger than life legends. Don’t even acknowledge the break in continuity

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

exquisite tea posted:

Uh yeah The Matrix is one of the highest grossing R films ever made and was immediately, profoundly influential to pop culture in a way few original movies are. Its theatrical release was definitely not buried lol.

Yes.

I can think of few movies with such an obvious impact, at least stylistically or aesthetically, on popular media that followed. It was goddamn everywhere in the early 2000's, either earnestly in action films that sought to emulate it, or just pop-culturally from parodies and references (in anything from Shrek to sketch comedy to literally Bollywood films.) It was a surprisingly huge deal.

It definitely was not buried by Columbine or anything, I mean to say.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I remember basically nothing about the third one other than it was terrible, did they ever explain how he stopped the sentinals at the end of the 2nd one?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Matrix had huge influence in games, one decade of shooters using bullet time

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

I remember basically nothing about the third one other than it was terrible, did they ever explain how he stopped the sentinals at the end of the 2nd one?

He was connected to the source after passing through the door to the source and visiting the architect.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I always thought the cleanest explanation was that they were never really outside of the Matrix the whole time. It was just another program to trick resistant humans into fighting a fake enemy. They need to go like one or two levels deeper before they truely wake up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Matrixception? Sure, why not. It's a bit cheesy but the original premise was "what if we're in a simulation, man" except done with incredible style.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They should make it with no guns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:psyduck: okay what the hell movie was I thinking of then? I know there was at least one big action movie that came out at a really bad time related to Columbine, kind of tanked in theaters, and then found its following on DVD harder than anyone ever could have possibly figured, and I thought it was The Matrix but it seems I'm wrong.

Equilibrium or Boondock Saints maybe?

e: I was thinking of loving Boondock Saints :lol:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 27, 2019

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I always thought the cleanest explanation was that they were never really outside of the Matrix the whole time. It was just another program to trick resistant humans into fighting a fake enemy. They need to go like one or two levels deeper before they truely wake up.

While I disagree that they don't leave the simulation, you're basically right that they never leave the Matrix. It's worth casting your mind back to the first film where Morpheus tells us what the Matrix is:

"Control."

The Architect tells Neo that minds unwilling to accept the simulation destabilise it. The Zion resistance, therefore, performs a valuable service for the machines by identifying these minds and pulling them out of the simulation. For this, they're allowed to exist until their numbers grow too large, at which point the machines wipe almost all of them out and they start again. So while awakened minds leave the simulation, they're always within the system of control that the Matrix represents.

This is all that the film has to say about why Neo can control machines in the real world:

quote:

Neo: Tell me how I separated my mind from my body without jacking in. Tell me how I stopped four sentinels by thinking it. Tell me just what the hell is happening to me.

Oracle: The power of the One extends beyond this world. It reaches from here all the way back to where it came from.

Neo: Where?

Oracle: The Source. That's what you felt when you touched those Sentinels. But you weren't ready for it. You should be dead, but apparently you weren't ready for that, either.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Party Boat posted:

This is all that the film has to say about why Neo can control machines in the real world:

What the hell is that supposed to even mean? It's pseudo christian drivel.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

pseudo christian drivel

Ah, now you truly know what the Matrix is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

What the hell is that supposed to even mean? It's pseudo christian drivel.

Think of it like wi-fi, I mean, it makes sense that the Sentinels can communicate with The Source wirelessly right? Why not The One, if he is truly of The Source and was created by The Source?