Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The UHD of The Matrix is gorgeous.

From the original Blu-ray:

From the Blu-ray included with the new UHD version:

There's still a greenish tint as compared to the "real world" / post-apocalyptic stuff, but it's way less suffocating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

zer0spunk posted:

We have no idea where neo goes or what becomes of anyone else in the real world...the end?

This is why I have no problem with a Matrix 4. 3 was a total non-ending and went with a status quo where humans are still living in lovely conditions in Zion eating white goo, humans are still being harvested for energy, and machines, who had the finger on the trigger, have to just walk away on the honor system when they still hold a grudge from the Zero One days. It's way too easy for the machines to be like "Nah. gently caress those guys on general principle" especially with machines learning how to have emotions like love (thus potentially....vengeance and spite?). It's also way too easy for a human leader to show up and decide the other three moves were bullshit legends. There were no bodies recovered for either Neo or Trinity and everything is still probably super hosed with humans living in Zion's squalor so why even believe there even "is" a truce or this isn't a trap like the previous 7 cycles? The 'One' glitch is probably still there. What happens if the 8th 'One' shows up and, without the Trinity romance, he's just a war mongering rear end in a top hat ready to gently caress everything up? What does Neo have to say about this whole arrangement?

There was room for a sequel. It won't be good. But "I" at least can't say there aren't unanswered questions and a place to go in the story.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There's no potentially about it, Monica Belluci's character was spiteful as hell

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

There's no potentially about it, Monica Belluci's character was spiteful as hell

I'd forgotten all about that, but yeah! I could see a three way between the 8th 'One' who's a raging rear end in a top hat hyping Zion on some "I'm tired of living here. Let's just take that poo poo!" propaganda, the machine's savior (probably using what they learned from Smith and Neo) crafted by entities in their circle who are hype off some "Remember what happened in Animatrix, why should we even let them live. gently caress "all" flesh!" propaganda because Machines have emotions now and that means its time for more war. And in the middle of it all, an immortal but middle aged Neo chilling in a posh Matrix apartment and being forced to come out of retirement and let everyone know that handling things like they did in the Matrix sequels is pretty loving stupid so let's "not".

Bullet-Time Edit: Then Neo says "woah" at the new hero's progress and everyone laughs and claps in the theater. :unsmith:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 12, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Neo was a glitch, leftovers from other Ones instead of one of the preplanned ones.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

I thought Neo was a glitch, leftovers from other Ones instead of one of the preplanned ones.

Not really a glitch, although I guess you could think of it that way? The Architect says(I watched Reloaded a few days ago) that The One is programmed to feel a strong sense of belonging and responsibility towards humanity but that Neo feels this in a much more "specific" way than the previous iterations, i.e. he is in love with Trinity and would do anything to protect her. That's why he doesn't take the deal when the other Ones did, he cares about saving Trinity more than he does about the whole of humanity.

My take is that Neo and Trinity's love was designed and pre-planned by The Oracle(who told Trinity that she would fall in love with The One), because she saw it as the chink in the Machine's armor. The factor they couldn't account for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I actually liked Enter the Matrix, lovely broken gameplay and all

You could 'hack' it into a fighting game which barely worked :v:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Not really a glitch, although I guess you could think of it that way? The Architect says(I watched Reloaded a few days ago) that The One is programmed to feel a strong sense of belonging and responsibility towards humanity but that Neo feels this in a much more "specific" way than the previous iterations, i.e. he is in love with Trinity and would do anything to protect her. That's why he doesn't take the deal when the other Ones did, he cares about saving Trinity more than he does about the whole of humanity.

My take is that Neo and Trinity's love was designed and pre-planned by The Oracle(who told Trinity that she would fall in love with The One), because she saw it as the chink in the Machine's armor. The factor they couldn't account for.

I see, I was think more that he was in math terms, a remainder One not a whole number One.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

I see, I was think more that he was in math terms, a remainder One not a whole number One.

The Architect also talks about The One as being a "remainder" as well, but this remainder being the result of free choice, something they determined was a necessary ingredient for The Matrix. The first version of The Matrix failed because even though it was a utopia, people were not given the ability to choose, and so they rejected the program. But the addition of free choice(The Architect says that The Oracle made this discovery) allowed 99%+ to accept the program. The "remainder" he's referring to is the small percentage of those who would choose not to, and that remainder over time builds and builds until it becomes an threat to the Machines(Zion). The One was created to keep that threat on rails and control it, which is why The Architect refers to Neo as the result of that "remainder". He exists to allow the Machines to eliminate it, and the previous versions of The One have apparently all gone along with that plan.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I think this was the only trailer I saw for the Matrix, really had no idea what the hell it was going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IynJzhL0lkQ

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Custard Undies posted:

I think this was the only trailer I saw for the Matrix, really had no idea what the hell it was going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IynJzhL0lkQ

Clicked hoping for an "imagine a world," left satisfied with a "forget everything you know."

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I never saw any previews or ads for The Matrix, I only heard about it the following Fall when a dude in my in Spanish class wouldn't shut up about still not understanding what "the matrix" is. A friend of mine (who I had a crush on) hadn't heard of it either so we rented it and watched it at my house. I sat on the couch and instead of joining me she chose the recliner. I was kind of bummed, but drat that was a good movie!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I first saw The Matrix with my dad, who put our tiny CRT PC monitor where the TV should be because our PC had a built in DVD player, which was a big deal.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Steve2911 posted:

I first saw The Matrix with my dad, who put our tiny CRT PC monitor where the TV should be because our PC had a built in DVD player, which was a big deal.

I also saw it with my dad, we were stopped in a decent sized town on our way to tour some colleges. We were both pretty blown away, which is rare for my dad who's a bit of a stodgy type.

Edit: When I went off to college with a new computer that included a DVD player, he gave me The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan and Blade as my back-to-school movie kit.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 15, 2019

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The UHD of The Matrix is gorgeous.

From the original Blu-ray:

From the Blu-ray included with the new UHD version:

There's still a greenish tint as compared to the "real world" / post-apocalyptic stuff, but it's way less suffocating.

I just picked this version up. What were the original 'green levels' like way back when it first came out?

I do remember the 2nd and 3rd films seemed to really double down on it but dunno if all versions i've seen of the first matrix after those have been some greened up "remasters" or something.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The only reason I will always believe they stole the script for the Matrix is because it's just so much better than everything else they've written, especially its own sequels. It's really all the evidence we need.

Hopefully with a writing team beyond the two of them this will be good.

I was in college at age 28 when the original came out, a friend invited me out to the movies and I had no idea what was about to happen. Fortunately the local theater in my podunk college town had invested in good projection and sound. I came out with mind blown, it was one of the most fun movies I'd seen in years, and still is.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo you're so loving old

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
holy poo poo theres people older than me on the internet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Old as poo poo and still hasn’t seen Bound, wth

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The Wachowskis are amazing artists and filmmakers, and a large part of that is because they're willing to take giant goddamn risks and do truly bizarre things. Not every film of theirs is amazing, for sure, but with any given work they produce, it's entirely possible it will be craaazy trash, visionary brilliance, or something in between. The Matrix is definitely my favourite of their films, so I'm both excited and nervous to see how this turns out, but whatever happens I think we can all be satisfied that it won't be another boring, safe reboot by any stretch. It may yet be garbage, but if if it is, it will be garbage for new and exciting reasons we've never seen before!

I mean, they adapted a novel that the novel's author was convinced could not be adapted into a film, and even if it was imperfect, it was still a stunning bit of work on a lot of levels. I don't think we can speculate about how this is going to turn out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes, I've rewatched the Matrix trilogy several times recently because I bought the UHDs and they're outstanding.

Anyway, I watched them again over the past week and it really struck me just how much the entire thing was a conflict orchestrated and designed by The Oracle. She came up with the idea of The One, wrote the code for the Agents(Smith calls her "mother" in Revolutions), and led Neo and Trinity purposely down a path to where they'd fall in love and therefore changing the nature of The One from what it had been in the previous iterations of the Matrix. She's directing events down this specific path where she hopes that The One will gain enough leverage over the machines to be able to negotiate a truce, then she even goes a step further and allows herself to be absorbed by Smith to seal the deal.

Maybe I'm a moron and this is all obvious to everyone but I've had a good time piecing it all together after all these years. I didn't really think about it too much when I saw the movies originally.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I took a 1 credit college class about the matrix. at a real college.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yes, I've rewatched the Matrix trilogy several times recently because I bought the UHDs and they're outstanding.

Anyway, I watched them again over the past week and it really struck me just how much the entire thing was a conflict orchestrated and designed by The Oracle. She came up with the idea of The One, wrote the code for the Agents(Smith calls her "mother" in Revolutions), and led Neo and Trinity purposely down a path to where they'd fall in love and therefore changing the nature of The One from what it had been in the previous iterations of the Matrix. She's directing events down this specific path where she hopes that The One will gain enough leverage over the machines to be able to negotiate a truce, then she even goes a step further and allows herself to be absorbed by Smith to seal the deal.

Maybe I'm a moron and this is all obvious to everyone but I've had a good time piecing it all together after all these years. I didn't really think about it too much when I saw the movies originally.

Actually, that's very interesting. This makes me think that perhaps there was always The One and a potential main girl, but the other 6 previous ones just didn't have that spark, didn't find each other attractive, hated each other, or any other infinite reasons things don't work out between a man and woman that would have Oracle be like :smith: as Zion goes down in flames again. Maybe she'd push the idea on the Trinity-equivalant like she did in the first one and she'd be like "Ugh, gross!". And things would deteriorate from there.

That's why when her bullshit billion-lives-saving Most Important Matchmaking Ever finally "works" she's so excited and smug. "That's why she likes you! :smuggo:" Good theory. :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dishwasher posted:

Actually, that's very interesting. This makes me think that perhaps there was always The One and a potential main girl, but the other 6 previous ones just didn't have that spark, didn't find each other attractive, hated each other, or any other infinite reasons things don't work out between a man and woman that would have Oracle be like :smith: as Zion goes down in flames again. Maybe she'd push the idea on the Trinity-equivalant like she did in the first one and she'd be like "Ugh, gross!". And things would deteriorate from there.

That's why when her bullshit billion-lives-saving Most Important Matchmaking Ever finally "works" she's so excited and smug. "That's why she likes you! :smuggo:" Good theory. :)

It's implied that the machines are only recently beginning to experience love themselves so it's also possible that The Oracle didn't even conceive of the romance angle as an option until at least a few versions of The One had already come and gone.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I took a 1 credit college class about the matrix. at a real college.

I used some Architect (and I think Smith) dialog in some philosophy course papers in college around the time the last film came out. I wondered if the professor would say something, but he didn’t and iirc I got A’s on them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kin posted:

I just picked this version up. What were the original 'green levels' like way back when it first came out?

I do remember the 2nd and 3rd films seemed to really double down on it but dunno if all versions i've seen of the first matrix after those have been some greened up "remasters" or something.

IIRC from what I saw in theaters and and the older DVD of it I had it wasn't particularly "green leveled" at all.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The problem with the love story being the most important thing in the matrix movies is that it's the least interesting thing in the matrix movies. It's all pretty eye rolling, corny and stiff, and I never felt any chemistry between Neo and Trinity.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

The problem with the love story being the most important thing in the matrix movies is that it's the least interesting thing in the matrix movies. It's all pretty eye rolling, corny and stiff, and I never felt any chemistry between Neo and Trinity.

I felt the same way about The Fifth Element. "Finally," young me said, "Boron gets its time to shine." When the fifth element turned out to be love I was super disappointed.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know what?
gently caress The Matrix
gently caress Bill and Ted
gently caress John Wick
gently caress the Constantine sequel

Where's Johnny Mnemonic 2?
Give the fan what they really want.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

David D. Davidson posted:

Room service!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

David D. Davidson posted:

You know what?
gently caress The Matrix
gently caress Bill and Ted
gently caress John Wick
gently caress the Constantine sequel

Where's Johnny Mnemonic 2?

You're already getting Johnny Mnemonic 2, it's called cyberpunk 2077.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

You're already getting Johnny Mnemonic 2, it's called cyberpunk 2077.

it must be depressing to work at CDPR and realise that, while Cyberpunk will probably be good, they'll never make a better game than Gwent.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Donovan Trip posted:

In this case, the conflict is between loving humanity and loving humans. Because Neo loves not only humanity, but also loves a human, he does not see people as expendable. If he just loved humanity, he'd see Trinity and Zion as acceptable sacrifices for the greater good.

Zizek posted:

Liberals always say about totalitarians that they like humanity, as such, but they have no empathy for concrete people, no? OK, that fits me perfectly. Humanity? Yes, it's OK – some great talks, some great arts. Concrete people? No, 99% are boring idiots.

Which, of course, is a perfectly rational take on humanity. But not the attitude of a saviour.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

In this case, the conflict is between loving humanity and loving humans. Because Neo loves not only humanity, but also loves a human, he does not see people as expendable. If he just loved humanity, he'd see Trinity and Zion as acceptable sacrifices for the greater good.

yeah sure ok but it fuckin sucked to watch. I didn't say I didn't understand it, I said it was a poo poo experience

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Violator posted:

I felt the same way about The Fifth Element. "Finally," young me said, "Boron gets its time to shine." When the fifth element turned out to be love I was super disappointed.

Someone didn't watch enough Captain Planet as a kid

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

u brexit ukip it posted:

Someone didn't watch enough Captain Planet as a kid

I remember one episode where the rat villain had the Planeteers cornered and said he'd stop that day's evil plan and let them leave, if one of them (who he will choose) beats him in a one-on-one fight.........then he picks loving Ma-Ti, who proceeds to monologue about how worthless he is in a fight and can't even protect his friends with his dumb Feeling powers.

It's loving hilarious.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Dishwasher posted:

I remember one episode where the rat villain had the Planeteers cornered and said he'd stop that day's evil plan and let them leave, if one of them (who he will choose) beats him in a one-on-one fight.........then he picks loving Ma-Ti, who proceeds to monologue about how worthless he is in a fight and can't even protect his friends with his dumb Feeling powers.

It's loving hilarious.

Ma-Ti was also a pacifist lol.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So who won, don't leave me hanging here

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Donovan Trip posted:

yeah sure ok but it fuckin sucked to watch. I didn't say I didn't understand it, I said it was a poo poo experience

What is only clear in retrospect is that Trinity is more Neo's true, feminine self than a character who Neo shares a convincing love story with. Like, their first lines about how Neo "thought she was a man" reads completely differently when you look at it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The only thing I want out of another Matrix movie is Smithzilla from the alternate ending of Path of Neo.