Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Matrix is an even more interesting franchise now that theyre both out as trans and given the current social climate Im SUPER interested in seeing what craziness they cook up for this.
Along those lines, I can't imagine they've been happy about TheRedPill co-opting their movies for chud reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pretty explicitly political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

With Revolutions resulting in the machines wanting to be a little friendlier and more open with humans, along with stuff like Simulatte, I wonder if we'll see some weird sanitized friendly-corporation version of the Matrix here. I can't help but assume that all the gang returning are going to be programs, and maybe they'll be kind of confronting whether what was accomplished in the first trilogy was enough to really fix the problems. I'm super ready for it, can't believe it's coming so soon!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

codo27 posted:

People talk like the Matrix is some kinda guilty pleasure as if it isn't one of the best and most important movies to see the light of day in the last 25 years
I agree the whole thing is amazing, but I especially think the whole last act starting with entering the skyscraper to rescue Morpheus is some of the most insanely perfect action movie poo poo ever made

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The original was indeed a throat-punchingly good time.

I find it odd how the city is so obviously San Francisco, since that seems so unlike the Matrix we're used to where it's just "Big City" as far as the eye can see as far as I recall. Obviously the machines may be playing with different Matrix ideas (or maybe there's different programs in charge of running stuff now), but I can't help but wonder if we're in for even goofier twists where this actually is the real world and the machines are running some kind of experiment to see if humans can be trusted or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mean Bean Machine posted:

there's a shot of a alice in wonderland book, and later there's a shot of a white rabbit tattoo in a trailer scored to jefferson airplane - white rabbit. which is apparently hella good
Also it features Keanu Reeves, the guy from The Matrix! I mean how blatant can they get

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He's just farming them for experience points

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think Neo should get very slightly smaller each time he takes a blue pill to really drive the Alice stuff home

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

huh I'd completely forgotten about the secret humanoid car multiplayer battle mode in Enter the Matrix

You think that's gas you're guzzling?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Neil Patrick Harris is a TV man, so it is like TV

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

How! posted:

Unless they rip off The Invisibles again it’s gonna suck.
Maybe they'll rip off Seaguy instead and get real wacky

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone who's ever actually read The Invisibles knows what a crock of horseshit this is. Yeah, they stole a piece of dialogue and a couple shots. But the works are otherwise extremely dissimilar.
I think Grant Morrison is kind of a total blowhard who honestly felt like, personally responsible for stuff like King Mob's (and therefore Morpheus's) "trenchcoat and sunglasses" look becoming cool

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wow Zesty, cancel culture truly has gone too far

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

That kind of helps me with my pet theory that everyone who escaped the matrix was actually still inside the matrix. It explains why Neo has extra powers outside of the matrix and why you can leave behind 23 individuals and have enough genetic diversity to keep the species alive.
I feel like the "they're still in the matrix" or "there's just another bigger matrix once you get out of the first one" thing has become like the Lost "the Island is actually the afterlife" fan theory. People decided on it decades ago and by god they will stick to their guns on it, even disregarding the actual ending of the show!

Narratively it would completely suck. It only serves as an excuse to repeat the same process over and over like having another bigger-badder-strongest-guy-ever showing up every few days in Dragonball Z.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

What’s a good place where I can share my Boba Fett/Matrix crossover fanfic I wrote in high school?
"You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the sarlacc pit goes."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The machines have kept re-iterating the Matrix so that they can study the Zion humans' propensity for gross sweaty raves.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This person is just too afraid of cringe to embrace corny self-seriousness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mulva posted:

Man I'm just grateful. I thought masturbatory philosophical screeds about the Matrix died out decades ago, this movie is a chance to see a whole new generation of them pop up to be dunked on. You take wins where you can get them.
Alright, proceed with the dunking.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I hope the movie features that song Still The One by Orleans at some point

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

It's kind of hosed up that Lana went out of her way to actively mock the trans reading of the first movie.
I think the movie was trying to grapple with the fact that absolutely every quality of the IP, including the trans reading of the original, could be mined for value by "the Suits." I didn't view it as mocking the reading itself, but struggling with what it means to be authentic if you're seemingly doing it in service to the Matrix.

I guess the big joke of the film, though, is that of all the one-liner "what is the Matrix really about?" quips we see from the game developers, literally no one IIRC ever says "a love story!!" And it's true, isn't it? No one was ever clamoring for more Neo and Trinity romance, so that's the one thing that Lana decided to make the core of this movie. I'm normally one to hate the "it was bad on purpose" edgy takes, but I genuinely feel like this movie is an impressive attempt at a big troll.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 23, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Literally every single matrix film has had romance at the core of the story.
Right, even though no one's been asking for it! It's often one of the biggest criticisms of the whole thing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess to be more specific about the romance, in this case it's not just about "Neo and Trinity love each other," but trying to transcend the use of Trinity as a damsel in distress. So while a huge chunk of the movie is "the gang has to save Trinity," the result is seemingly Neo and Trinity forming an actual stable and relatively equal relationship. Which apparently is what the Suits find "dangerous."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

If the analyst wanted to keep neo and trinity close but not too close, trinity should have been some streamer and neo could have been like some viewer andy or a chat mod. Would have been a wildly different movie.
I'm... not... a simp!!! *smashes Agent Smith against the ceiling*

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Teeny tiny plot-related thought of little value: in the final fight the analyst certainly seems to be crawling towards his cat Déjà-vu. I wonder if the cat was some kind of reset command. After all, déjà-vu is apparently a symptom of a change in the Matrix code.
I kinda preferred to believe that he just really loved his cat.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Always love when goons are like "ok I watched the first twenty seconds of the movie and stopped to make a forum post about it, lol what the heck is going on??"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm an hour in now, and it's even worse.
Well, you're through the good half. I'm sorry.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought it was really weird how new Morpheus could float his parts through grates and stuff, but still acted relatively bound by gravity when he had to do a big jump. Or is he actually just having fun with the situation and imitating Morpheus's classic jump?

I feel like there's at least a hint of something interesting there, where a program raised in the Matrix actually only effectively gains superpowers once it's operating in the real world.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

How would you feel about a giant Agent Smith made up of regular sized Agent Smiths?
I think you're referring to one of the video games but I can't help but think of Enthiran https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHnJvboy0c

I swear the whole 10 minutes is worth a watch

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I mean...... it was the other poster that argued that the "trans rights" reading of the first films is presented as a "shallow" interpretation by the antagonists in Resurrection. Right?

because this

HorseLord posted:

I think it's more than that she didn't give a gently caress if people liked it. She put people who enthusastically liked the first three for shallow reasons in as antagonists.
includes the guys who say the Matrix 1 was about trans issues and cryptofascism

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with that reading is that the point isn't that they are wrong. It is that it is a shallow heartless reading of the film. Like "The Matrix is about trans rights" doesn't have to be incorrect for the shallow marketing person going "It's gotta be about, uh, trans stuff, right?" to not actually be saying anything of note or meaning because he doesn't care about Trans Rights, just "what are the marketing buzzwords for The Matrix."
I didn't think it seemed clear at all that the two who mentioned those issues were dishonest or just reaching for SJW cred or something. They seemed like some of the most enthusiastic participants in that discussion to me.

Personally I got the vibe that the movie is kind of lashing out about it being impossible to make any genuine statement at all once the property has been absorbed into the corporation, no matter its depth or honesty. And there's almost a retroactive feeling that even if it meant something in the first place it's been ruined by the suits (or at least there is a fear of that). I think a lot of the debate and confusion over the message is coming from that source of frustration.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really disagree. Even if a corporation brings in minorities as a token gesture, that doesn't mean the intention or honesty of those minorities is in question. They're not all throwing out marketing buzzwords, because "trans rights" and "cryptofascism".... aren't really marketing buzzwords.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes they are. Like maybe you are not aware of it but LGBTQ+ matters are absolutely used as a cheap marketing ploy all the loving time, as is limpwristed criticism of fascism that doesn't actually address anything more complex then "Hitler? Bad."
I guess I'm wondering what it would look like for the characters to be presenting those readings in a more honest and deep way. It is one thing to say the entire process is flawed, it's a whole different thing to say the antagonists are being associated with specifically "shallow reasons" to like the original.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't that it is a shallow reading. It is that they are taking something that is extremely personal and trying to boil those personal elements down to figure out what the magic combination of 'traits' to make it successful is.
I don't think I'm disagreeing. I'm responding to the issue over SMG responding to horselord saying the antagonists are shown to like the movie for shallow reasons. I agree the entire process of the pitch session is presented as corrupt and wrong, I just think it's wrong even if some of the things they're saying are not in fact shallow reasons to like the Matrix.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure "a love story" isn't actually mentioned once, while the film clearly presents Neo (and thus the author) as finding that the main thing worth revisiting The Matrix for.
This was first thing that jumped out to me and that I posted about in this thread, and I agree. I view a lot of the shape of this movie as making sense as a parodic "gently caress you" more than anything else, but that still leaves me with a lot of material that I struggle to find a lot of meaning from.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Actually it is not very much drama. And it's a pretty normal discussion about how the movie specifically communicates some stuff.

I'm starting to realize, part of what I struggle with in the movie's criticism of WB is that it can kind of be viewed in contradictory ways. Is the profit motive the problem in the first place, or is it the fact that these particular suits are morons who want to go about their recreation in a lovely way? Would the pitch meeting actually be better if they were presented as thoughtful, and good at marketing?

I guess I think there's kind of two separate interpretations here, one where Lana says "gently caress you WB, I won't let you ruin my art," and one where she says "gently caress you WB, we the artists are actually the reason the Matrix made a shitload of money, and you should shut up and let us be in charge of this whole process if you want the money to keep rolling in." I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but it makes a lot of this movie very confusing to me.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 29, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Animatrix 2 will actually be about furries, it's the Animal Matrix

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Counterpoint: actual old women can still be total milfs

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Trollologist posted:

How does the Matrix generate power at all, like aren't people (blah,blah,whatever)? We know, from the MOVIES that even while plugged in, your body and muscles are still twitching and convulsing (there's shots from outside of people grabbing the chairs, reacting to getting shot, convulsing from being punched), "Your body makes it real". And in pods, people have hoses and connections at major muscle groups and along the spine. This isn't for show, it's where the power comes from. While fully plugged in (pod) every action, movement, muscle twitch and brain impulse gets harvested a bit to make power. "you've never used your muscles before"
This doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

you reminded me that the rage cover exist and now my day is ruined
Yeah they really pissed all over the original