Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think this movie could be so, so good if it leans into the things that made the first one great, like individualism and identity and the artificiality of daily life. Please, please be good. I'm gonna feel like an absolute idiot if I sit down to this film and walk out the way I felt after Revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I saw the original on a :files: VHS and a 30" CRT TV after hearing a lot of hype from my cool hacker friends, but not knowing much else. It was great even that way, but it's a shame I didn't get to see it in the theaters because that had to be a much better experience.

I did however go to see Reloaded and Revolutions, and, well.

The first matrix works way better on a small screen VHS like most movies with passable effects from the 80s until about 1999. The visual noise helps your brain fill in a lot of details. The sequels look better on tape as well, that was just an awkward era moving into higher resolution and more complex CGI.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The problem with the love story being the most important thing in the matrix movies is that it's the least interesting thing in the matrix movies. It's all pretty eye rolling, corny and stiff, and I never felt any chemistry between Neo and Trinity.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

In this case, the conflict is between loving humanity and loving humans. Because Neo loves not only humanity, but also loves a human, he does not see people as expendable. If he just loved humanity, he'd see Trinity and Zion as acceptable sacrifices for the greater good.

yeah sure ok but it fuckin sucked to watch. I didn't say I didn't understand it, I said it was a poo poo experience

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

tylersayten posted:

Inspired by Halloween (2018) and Dark Fate: A Terminated Story (2019), The Matrix 4: Awakening will ignore all previous sequels and will instead be a direct follow-up to the 1999 classic.

Then it fails spectacularly, critically and commercially.

My buddy and I were talking about all the ways you could make time traveling robots good (hint: there's a billion) and how Terminator movies refuse to do any of those things. Like, what about a Terminator sent back in time to the old West on accident, and a sheriff trying to hunt him down with old west weapons and traps?

Anyway I think small stakes stories with big franchises are really paying off right now and I hope they take that into consideration with this new matrix movie.