Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I could see where the Wachowskis were going with the Matrix sequels, but they were deeply flawed and needed more than a couple redrafts to achieve greatness. Maybe that's where Lana is going with this fourth movie, which seems totally unnecessary but whatevs it's da fukken Matrix!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

We could be in a new Matrix, with Neo surviving as some kind of rogue program in the same way the Merovingian was implied to be a remnant from the second version with vampires and poo poo. If I had to get people hyped to see another Matrix film though I’d probably drop all the wordy lore from the sequels, but would Lana Wachowski do the same? I honestly don’t know!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don’t think many (any) people disliked the Animatrix? I remember it being hype as hell when it came out, and some of the shorts ended up being more interesting than the actual sequels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It didn't get buried, it was a big hit, and also the movie came out 3 weeks before Columbine.

Uh yeah The Matrix is one of the highest grossing R films ever made and was immediately, profoundly influential to pop culture in a way few original movies are. Its theatrical release was definitely not buried lol.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Matrix had huge influence in games, one decade of shooters using bullet time

Not to mention the pervasive multimedia saturation of the Matrix (and LOTR) trilogies influencing every AAA video game franchise to create their own extensive worldbuilding in the early 2000s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was supremely cool that the Wachowskis shot exclusive scenes with the actual actors and production values of The Matrix Reloaded for the game, even if in retrospect it probably wasn't the best use of their time and resources.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

All I've seen about this game owns, from setting to gameplay. Gonna get it next week (I think)

Control is great but it's more about a young office worker gifted with supernatural powers that uncovers a parallel reality to their own, so it's not really relevant to discussion of the Matrix.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Halloween II was a success so it's at least a 50/50 shot, even more if you consider H20 to be the original example of this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Matrix is cool because apart from all the philosophy and themes being presented in a really interesting way without losing a mass audience, it’s just a really killer sci-fi movie with a great script. Not a single scene is wasted and the whole movie is TWO HOURS long, the longest acceptable length for a blockbuster action film to be. Everybody making horrible four and a half hour comic book movies in our current times should revisit the Matrix’s script to see how you can accomplish everything you want without wasting everybody’s time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

I feel like there is a bit of revisionist history going on here, I remember people talking about the themes in the matrix pretty much right after release lol. I think you're giving folks too little credit here.

I bought the Philosophy of the Matrix collection from a Borders in 2000, which is about the single most 2000s thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

Is this the first time expanded universe stuff for a movie actually gets to keep being canon after a sequel?

Kano from Mortal Kombat was retconned to be Australian after Trevor Goddard portrayed him in the 1995 movie, among other details. The MK franchise in general has folded a lot of parallel media/fan theories into its official canon over the years.