Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

J33uk posted:

Mental health professionals are there to manipulate you. Going off meds will actually help you understand the world better. You love her, she doesn't really know who you are but come on she doesn't actually love that guy. Everyone else you see is functionally just a bot following a loop or someone actively trying to suppress you. When you drink and consider suicide it's the only time you're really alive.

This person certainly isn't about to shoot up a grocery store.

Your parents are dead and its OK to use your privilege to punch mentally unstable people in the face

Radiation makes you stronger and the woman you love love you

Join the military and get super steroids and you too can live for 80 years

This person certainly isn't about to shoot up a grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyway this movie owns bones and has a better message than the other 3 movies

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just want to mention how the movie effectively eviscerated The One male fantasy BS I honestly thought it would be all about. Esp from the trailer. Thats pretty cool.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

This was the worst movie I've seen in a very long time.

lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

remigious posted:

I was expecting this movie to try to “reclaim” the redpill and/or change it to mean something that would piss chuds off. There was one line about how the pills are symbolic and don’t really represent a choice, but then later in the movie with Trinity it seems like they do matter, since the gang is anxiously asking if Trinity took the red pill?. So that was a bit disappointing.

The reversal of the One mythos, which the trailers made me think the movie was going lean into,m was my fav part of the movie.

One man will save everyone. Blech

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

I do feel bad for anyone who doesn't like Morpheus 2. He's probably the best part of the good half of this movie.

wish the budget had been able to support this (from one of the writers):

quote:

AH: I think the most exciting thing that we had to give up because it was too expensive was the machines were supposed to be speaking and they were supposed to be communicating. But the CGI would’ve been very expensive for that.

There was also a very elaborate and aggressive machine in the Machine City, and we had a name for that machine: “Animalium.” Morpheus was supposed to fight this big mechanical monster, so the good machines and the bad machines were supposed to have more prominence, but it was too cost-prohibitive.

https://www.avclub.com/matrix-resurrections-co-writers-aleksandar-hemon-and-da-1848234303

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ichabod Tane posted:

I mean, I’ll watch another matrix film. It’s still a better watch than most poo poo.

Did anyone else find the friendly robots EXTREMELY goofy looking? I legit lolled when one showed up looking like a stingray and Niobe just goes “that’s Kujaku.”

naw i'm hoping this poo poo turns into Mega Man. There's a machine entirely made out of fans.

e: Its name is The Fans, and as a defense measure it spews Mountain Dew

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I thought it was pretty good for fans that were into the Trinity and Neo romance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

How would you feel about a giant Agent Smith made up of regular sized Agent Smiths?

i can't see how that can be done. we just don't have the technology

plz someone post the clip

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I forget where I saw this now so take it for what you will but I recall reading yesterday that they planned for the new Morpheus to have a much greater presence in the third act of the film where apparently he was supposed to fight a machine (the person revealing this also added details such as the specific name of the machine and that they had their own language which we would have seen/heard for the first time) but it was cut for budget reasons since it was apparently going to be a very fancy CGI fight. I'm assuming said fight would have taken place in the tower where Neo & Trinity were kept and presumably the fight would have taken place while trying to rescue and free Trinity? It definitely seems likely given that the heist was pulled off so easily and many people have mentioned how little the new Morpheus had to do in the final third of the film. Maybe we'll get some concept art eventually but if it is indeed true I'm surprised that a new Matrix film would have run into budget issues if WB was so determined to bring it back.

I Posted that bit from an interesting interview with one of the writers. Click on my ? to find it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

moths posted:

I remember being bored during the mech fight and it was like getting tired of breasts during Showgirls all over again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

Some anime guy on Twitter is hinting at Animatrix 2. Presumably on HBO MAX

https://twitter.com/lefrenchaccent/status/1476730400106065946?s=21

This is from his wiki

2020-2021 John Gaeta created a new development hub (“Gelato”) focused on incubating a 21st century approach to The Matrix within emerging new media formats. With Lana Wachowski, a story premise for Animatrix 2.0 was born based upon the Origin of the Matrix. Additionally, Gaeta produced a Unreal Engine 5 special project titled The Matrix Awakens, and had a cameo in The Matrix Resurrections.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This movie was filmed during heavy heavy covid lockdown. I feel like they couldn't possibly have meant for his story to go how it did. It feels so much like he was a casualty from shifting filming.

Like a top character suddenly going "uhh, he's a CGI man now" followed by "he never shows up in the movie again" feels like writing someone out because the actor can't get through covid travel restrictions in early 2020

Fake Morpheus had a big climactic fight that they cut.out due to the budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think what people were reacting against was that since the first movie was so simple in its core, and really at its most basic level a heroic journey of self realization that managed to twinge a sympathetic nerve for people's fears of conformity and control.

There's plenty to like in the sequels but it is radically doing something else, and I'd argue, much more complicated and fragmented narratives where what the story is really about is said rapidly and asks something completely else from the audience.

And it's not a Dune thing where the ambivalence and lack of certainty and a traditional narrative was embedded in the original property. It's a veering off completely from the straight forward action substance, and on rewatch is more about it having interesting parts than the sum as a whole, at least for me.