Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

This is one of my favorite parts of #1, how despite Morpheus' faith and Neo's flashes of arrogance, Neo gets poo poo on the whole movie until he decides to sacrifice his life to save another's for a greater cause - and boom, it turns out that that is a key ingredient in the formula for The One. The plot of the entire film is shaped by the Oracle's conversations with Morpheus, Trinity, and Neo, but barely half of the stuff she says is an actual prediction about the future. It's all intended to create that future by taking advantage of people's belief in The Oracle to guide their behavior. In the end the questions of fate v. choice the movie raises remain totally unresolved despite all of the prophecies coming true.

"What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken the vase given your life for Morpheus if I hadn't said anything told you you were The One?"
or "Would you have dedicated your life to finding The One if I hadn't told you that you would succeed?"

More directly to your point, it's fascinating how there are actually two totally different points in the film where a character outright states that Neo is The One, as if they had just seen proof of it. One is the obvious one at the end, when he rises from the dead, doesn't have to dodge bullets, etc. But the first time it happens is fifteen minutes earlier, even before Neo fights an Agent and "wins". (Shout-out to Morpheus for being the actual first person to fight an Agent and live, but I digress.) It's after Neo has this moment

and believes that he can catch a helicopter out of the sky. It doesn't matter that he doesn't actually do it; he believed that he could, and that's what makes him The One.

There's a reason why this is my favorite movie that I rewatch at least once a year, and it's this, right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgYs_NDyaLs

SO EXCITED

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh I don't have either of these consoles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a new trailer today?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trilogies usually have their best movie as the second movie.

Star Wars 5
Lord of the Rings 2
Matrix 2
Star Wars 8
Star Trek 2

and so on

checkplease posted:

Both tracks were fairly aligned for the first film, but this was a nice example of how polarizing this sequel and much of their future work would be.

I usually completely dismiss the opinions of critic reviews because they're watching movies as a job, and anything that's samey they tend to hate, unlike me, a cultured person who usually only watches a few movies a year. Generally if something like Rotten Tomatoes hates a movie, I'll probably like it, and if RT likes it, I probably dislike it. Usually

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 20, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

You're the first person I've seen who thought Two Towers is the best LOTR movie.

The two towers has Gandalf come back, it has the epic battle of helms deep, it has saruman having his poo poo pushed in, it's fantastic. Fellowship is a good movie, but I liked the second more. Return of the King was entirely too long and the best part was the ending, and every scene with the Steward of Gondor was a scene I didn't enjoy. The actor was good though.

Matrix 2 has the Smith fight scene, while goofy, is still iconic, and has a few mind melters like Smith inside bane and such, and has the Merovingian and the car chase fight, and neo really coming into his own,doing his "superman thing". Tank was a better operator than Link though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

As long as it isn't jupiter ascending then I'll be fine

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Review embargo is finally up. Nothing is going to stop me from watching this movie, I am excited for it, but its at 66% on rotten tomatoes. Will judge for myself.

Some of those critics are those that say they didn't like the first three movies, so, why are they watching this one?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm seeing it tonight, but worse than matrix 3 is kind of a downer

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

teagone posted:

Why, Revolutions is a good romp.

I wanted neo and trinity to not die and for neo to use more of his power outside in the real world. That and the dbz fighting with Smith was too depressing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

teagone posted:

It wasn't for no reason. His dialogue spells out his purpose. Dude is there to tell you poo poo was better back in the day and everything now is garbage. He's literally dressed in trash.

I couldn't even tell what the gently caress he was saying because the theatre was so loud and he was just ranting while a fight scene was going on

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also all of the fight scenes in this were way too close up, and missed the gravity of the first movie, which had the camera much pulled back.

I think the Smith fight scene was the best one.

Also, the character channeling smith did a very good job.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aBagorn posted:

i'm sorry but matrix 1 is about "trans rights, gently caress you" more than anything else and by that metric it owns

If matrix 1 is about trans rights, then it's whispering it under its breath instead of coming right out and saying it.

It has a white cis man overcoming the system, who sees himself forever, as a white cis man, who was already in a privileged position (cozy office job in a skyrise where man becomes disillusioned in life) to come into more power that he can make the system do what he wants it to do now that he has the power....to love a white cis woman and not have "the man" control him, as if it would have stopped him in the first place.

And the movie reduxes the same premises as the first one, without retreading any new ground except in a few instances. If it really was a trans story, they would have actual obvious trans characters, but there's never been anything so overt.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 23, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Kind of expected someone to have a presentation in matrix that was vastly different than their exterior self. I don’t think that happened for any human characters.

Exactly! This is the fourth movie, and it has a great framework to use that in the narrative in some fashion, especially concerning Residual Self Image, and instead they use it to show it's a system of control. I was expecting it, and it just never happened. It was disappointing.

I suppose perhaps that's the element they're referring to, but it's so paper thin as to be missed entirely by most.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

The fights in this did have that same heaviness, though? Punches were going through concrete and bodies were hitting it so hard they left craters.

That's the superficial aspect of the fight scenes. Think back to the first movie, and they have a pause before major actions, a shake of the screen, a back and forth bruce lee or crouching tiger hidden dragon esque choreography, and this was just a hot mess.

When every fight scene is a Matrix 2 fight Smith poledance fight instead of Neo vs Seraph, it kind of sucks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literal first thing shown on screen at the start of the original matrix

One article:

"As I see it, a transgender reading of The Matrix examines three points: Neo’s so-called “Path” to becoming the One, the artificiality and pervasiveness of the Matrix itself, and the rigidity with which it is enforced by not only its creators, but those trapped within. For those of us who transgress gender as it exists in the world today, we follow a similar path. We must free our minds from an artificial system of control that can’t be seen but is omnipresent, and the system is rigidly, frighteningly self-enforced by those who operate within it.

THE MATRIX CANNOT TELL YOU WHO YOU ARE"

Alright, the matrix cannot tell me who I am, but it sure continues to sustain the status quo. I'm not saying it needs to have neo turn toward the camera and explain something specifically in a fourth wall break, but that if it wanted to have a more "impactful" effect for me, it's going to have to be less subtle and have less obvious cis behaviors. I did like that they implied something going on with Niobe in this movie, but didn't like that it took four movies go begin to show obvious LGBT signalling.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The final narration of the original matrix is neo explaining humans need to break boundaries and discover who they are while the camera slowly zooms in on the gap between M and F

That's really cool, but all I'm saying is that subtlety is completely lost on me until I read an article explaining it in clearer language.

Anyways, I agree with what someone else said, the movie needed to be longer. Maybe less things like the exile fight, and maybe redo the "get trinity out" more efficiently instead of it feeling like they had to run around covering a lot of separate irrelevant topics

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 23, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Merovingian’s scene owned. God drat having just rant about sequels and poo poo while the sequel distracted you with a big fight using the previous sequel actors was just the right amount of insane this movie needed.

God drat this movie was so good.

Were they really the previous actors? it was hard to tell, with their outfits and almost no 1 on 1 focus on their faces.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

the red pill is literally estrogen i mean just :hmbol: at arguing the allegory isn't there

Googling what you said just shows generic shaped pills of any color. Pressed pills can look like anything

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aBagorn posted:

during the 90s the most common form of premarin (which was the accepted HRT at the time) was a maroon oblong pill.

i know this from wishing i could take it at the time (and subsequently cursing myself that it took me another 16 years of hemming and hawing before i finally did come out, and now estrogen is primarily a blue pill...the irony)

I'll take your word for it, I don't know anything about that :shrug:

Anyways, I apologize if that all came off as standoffish, I just was irritated that it wasn't more obvious.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

Just remembered Merovingian screaming "THIS IS NOT OVER, OUR SPINOFF FRANCHISE SEQUEL" and I cant stop laughing. If you didnt like that scene i sincerely feel bad 4 u.

I think that scene would have been better with subtitles because I could barely understand what they said

Also, like, what was Smith's motivation?

He fights Neo because he misses it....and then helps him "escape" when his whole shtick was he wanted to escape the simulation, and he just....disappears at the end, remaining inside the system instead of trying to escape again....what?

Sitting here thinking about it, I loved the first movie, grew up on it, and perhaps it's gestated into this culturally significant movie, even though I had been actively curbing my enthusiasm about it, where anything less than exact copy of the matrix 1 or it's facsimile wouldn't have been satisfactory. But, that seems absurd.

Instead, I'm thinking that Spiderman No Way Home was hand over fist a better movie, and I don't even really like spiderman though, I do like William Dafoe's Green Goblin.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 23, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

I think this is explained pretty well in the movie.

During the fight or at least right before it Smith says that Neo isn't ready for the Analyst and he's not completely wrong there. He knows Neo is going to after Trinity, believes Neo will fail which will result in him being imprisoned again. He doesn't show up again until Trinity rejects her programming and suddenly the odds are in Neo's favor. Its 100% advantageous for him in that moment to help out Neo because it will keep him from having the same illusion pulled on him again

I did like at least that smith completely stomped over the analyst's bullet time gimmick, but it's unsurprising given that neo couldn't even figure out how to fly before trinity. So smith was puppetmastering some sort of situation to happen in matrix 5?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

If the analyst wanted to keep neo and trinity close but not too close, trinity should have been some streamer and neo could have been like some viewer andy or a chat mod. Would have been a wildly different movie.

Neo as a creepy discord mod would have been hilarious

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's the guy from Bill and Ted, it's not Neo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Much as with Final Fantasy 13, if you have to read a book to best appreciate a game/movie, your movie failed at its own medium.

Having to play a dead mmo to appreciate a movie is loving stupid and insipid.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"We have to keep you two apart, bad things happen when you are together"

Is that a self dig?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Neo *really* knows. Or sees the code, my point is, he's not just got a bullet shield, he can change the entire matrix at will.

Movie was on par with Jupiter ascending.

That's why he had zero of his cool demeanor from matrix 2. Because he can change the matrix at will, he chooses to be a boring old man

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was so hyped for this, gf even got me a Matrix 4 official T-shirt

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HorseLord posted:

fake morpheus is funny

as someone who loved matrix 1/2, fake morpheus was cool, the worst part was them going nowhere with him after his introduction