Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

clean ayers act posted:

This works for Neo but Trinity was...quite dead . Dunno how they plausibly bring her back

In the MMO (which was canon, apparently) it was eventually revealed that Neo and Trinity both originated from research into humans and machine code directly interfacing (i.e. without using the matrix). Most of the third film is spent beating you over the head with the idea that there's no real difference between a human mind and a simulated one, so someone being "resurrected" from the matrix certainly isn't out of the question.

I would also be down for the Wachowskis ignoring as much of the previous canon as they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I always thought the cleanest explanation was that they were never really outside of the Matrix the whole time. It was just another program to trick resistant humans into fighting a fake enemy. They need to go like one or two levels deeper before they truely wake up.

While I disagree that they don't leave the simulation, you're basically right that they never leave the Matrix. It's worth casting your mind back to the first film where Morpheus tells us what the Matrix is:

"Control."

The Architect tells Neo that minds unwilling to accept the simulation destabilise it. The Zion resistance, therefore, performs a valuable service for the machines by identifying these minds and pulling them out of the simulation. For this, they're allowed to exist until their numbers grow too large, at which point the machines wipe almost all of them out and they start again. So while awakened minds leave the simulation, they're always within the system of control that the Matrix represents.

This is all that the film has to say about why Neo can control machines in the real world:

quote:

Neo: Tell me how I separated my mind from my body without jacking in. Tell me how I stopped four sentinels by thinking it. Tell me just what the hell is happening to me.

Oracle: The power of the One extends beyond this world. It reaches from here all the way back to where it came from.

Neo: Where?

Oracle: The Source. That's what you felt when you touched those Sentinels. But you weren't ready for it. You should be dead, but apparently you weren't ready for that, either.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

pseudo christian drivel

Ah, now you truly know what the Matrix is.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Preston Waters posted:

They could make this work if it turns out there actually is a matrix within a matrix.

This is basically the reveal in the second film though? It's not a simulated reality, but it's still the same system of control that the matrix represents.