Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

He's a much better actor now than he was 20 years ago that's for sure.

Still don't know how they're going to make this work. Ignoring the two sequels and saying Neo spent 20 years kicking rear end after he became God at the end of the first movie seems like the best way.

It's really not that hard. I imagine they'll probably have Neo literally return from The Source, making him kinda like a fallen angel.

There's precedent for something like that, Seraph(The Oracle's bodyguard) seems to be hardwired to the Source and yet he somehow escaped it and lives in The Matrix. So either Neo will break free of The Source on his own or maybe a new threat appears that forces The Source to re-upload him to fight for it again inside The Matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

We could be in a new Matrix, with Neo surviving as some kind of rogue program in the same way the Merovingian was implied to be a remnant from the second version with vampires and poo poo. If I had to get people hyped to see another Matrix film though I’d probably drop all the wordy lore from the sequels, but would Lana Wachowski do the same? I honestly don’t know!

The fact that Lana probably wouldn't drop the lore stuff is why I can get excited about this, because I have faith that there will be no compromise.

The harder question is gonna be how to bring Trinity back, I'd love to see some sort of Orpheus/Dante story where he has to fight through The Source to somehow find her and bring her code back to The Matrix. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to establish that humans have some sort of permanent code that is stored somewhere and can be re-uploaded.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I don’t think many (any) people disliked the Animatrix? I remember it being hype as hell when it came out, and some of the shorts ended up being more interesting than the actual sequels.

Yea people really liked it but that was when there was a LOT of goodwill built up around The Matrix and people hadn't become disillusioned by the sequels yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeff Wiiver posted:

didn't see anyone else calling this out, so just wanna say: gently caress this poo poo and gently caress you too OP.

There was a Wackowski thread a while back and we had some of that in it but the best way to handle it turned out to be just ignore and don't engage. If their posts are ignored and they don't get a rise out of anybody they get bored pretty quick and move on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Matinee posted:

Which is the better set-piece: Lobby shootout or Freeway chase?

As far as action filmmaking and just how straight up impressive it is, the freeway chase is the best set-piece in the trilogy. The lobby shootout is of course more iconic because people mostly just remember The Matrix and not the sequels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

Lana and Lilly haven’t had a falling out, have they? Seems weird only Lana is working on stuff lately.

I haven't heard about anything like that but for a while there it seemed like they were sliding more and more towards a semi-retirement so maybe there's some disagreement there about how to proceed with their careers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

You don't pay Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss's giant salaries (particularly Keanu) for them to be bit players.

For the Matrix sequels, he was making $15 million per film plus 15% of the GROSS.

There's no reason to assume he'd demand that kind of money for a small role, and in recent years he's consistently said he'd gladly participate in a Matrix sequel if the Wackowskis were involved. I have no doubt that if he read the script and thought it was good, he'd be happy with whatever the story demanded of him and would ask appropriate money for it. He's done several smaller parts in recent years where he obviously wasn't being paid 15 million(The Bad Batch and Neon Demon come to mind).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What the hell is that supposed to even mean? It's pseudo christian drivel.

Think of it like wi-fi, I mean, it makes sense that the Sentinels can communicate with The Source wirelessly right? Why not The One, if he is truly of The Source and was created by The Source?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

I thought Neo was a glitch, leftovers from other Ones instead of one of the preplanned ones.

Not really a glitch, although I guess you could think of it that way? The Architect says(I watched Reloaded a few days ago) that The One is programmed to feel a strong sense of belonging and responsibility towards humanity but that Neo feels this in a much more "specific" way than the previous iterations, i.e. he is in love with Trinity and would do anything to protect her. That's why he doesn't take the deal when the other Ones did, he cares about saving Trinity more than he does about the whole of humanity.

My take is that Neo and Trinity's love was designed and pre-planned by The Oracle(who told Trinity that she would fall in love with The One), because she saw it as the chink in the Machine's armor. The factor they couldn't account for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

I see, I was think more that he was in math terms, a remainder One not a whole number One.

The Architect also talks about The One as being a "remainder" as well, but this remainder being the result of free choice, something they determined was a necessary ingredient for The Matrix. The first version of The Matrix failed because even though it was a utopia, people were not given the ability to choose, and so they rejected the program. But the addition of free choice(The Architect says that The Oracle made this discovery) allowed 99%+ to accept the program. The "remainder" he's referring to is the small percentage of those who would choose not to, and that remainder over time builds and builds until it becomes an threat to the Machines(Zion). The One was created to keep that threat on rails and control it, which is why The Architect refers to Neo as the result of that "remainder". He exists to allow the Machines to eliminate it, and the previous versions of The One have apparently all gone along with that plan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes, I've rewatched the Matrix trilogy several times recently because I bought the UHDs and they're outstanding.

Anyway, I watched them again over the past week and it really struck me just how much the entire thing was a conflict orchestrated and designed by The Oracle. She came up with the idea of The One, wrote the code for the Agents(Smith calls her "mother" in Revolutions), and led Neo and Trinity purposely down a path to where they'd fall in love and therefore changing the nature of The One from what it had been in the previous iterations of the Matrix. She's directing events down this specific path where she hopes that The One will gain enough leverage over the machines to be able to negotiate a truce, then she even goes a step further and allows herself to be absorbed by Smith to seal the deal.

Maybe I'm a moron and this is all obvious to everyone but I've had a good time piecing it all together after all these years. I didn't really think about it too much when I saw the movies originally.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dishwasher posted:

Actually, that's very interesting. This makes me think that perhaps there was always The One and a potential main girl, but the other 6 previous ones just didn't have that spark, didn't find each other attractive, hated each other, or any other infinite reasons things don't work out between a man and woman that would have Oracle be like :smith: as Zion goes down in flames again. Maybe she'd push the idea on the Trinity-equivalant like she did in the first one and she'd be like "Ugh, gross!". And things would deteriorate from there.

That's why when her bullshit billion-lives-saving Most Important Matchmaking Ever finally "works" she's so excited and smug. "That's why she likes you! :smuggo:" Good theory. :)

It's implied that the machines are only recently beginning to experience love themselves so it's also possible that The Oracle didn't even conceive of the romance angle as an option until at least a few versions of The One had already come and gone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm really interested in what the 'real world' looks like after potentially generations of humans being given the option to awaken per the deal at the end of Revolutions. Are they still underground? Has the surface of the earth recovered and become repopulated? Is the new society better or worse than being in the Matrix? I'm thinking the movie will grapple with that question.

For me the key question that I haven't seen answered yet is when this takes place relative to the end of the last movie(maybe the answer is out there and someone itt can fill me in). I believe Jada Pinkett-Smith has been confirmed to be in the movie so I guess that probably means it hasn't been that long? Because if not for that bit of casting, I would've guessed they were gonna take us like 500 or 1000 years into the future. It's not like Neo and Trinity are "alive" in the traditional sense, so Pinkett-Smith is the only one really tethering this thing to a specific time period.

Also the fact that Fishburne wasn't asked to return made me think this would be set far enough into the future where Morpheus would be dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just weird that Niobe(that's Pinkett-Smith's character) would be back but they wouldn't even bother with Morpheus. Like, whatever the story reasoning you're using to have Niobe in the movie, it seems like that same reasoning would work with Morpheus. It's not like they asked Fishburne and his price was just too high, from what I understand he wasn't asked to return at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Deep Cover is a very underrated Fishburne movie that I recently discovered.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Very interesting, so yea it does seem that there is a new Morpheus who is out there basically doing what he did before, waking people up and trying to find The One. Makes me wonder if Jada Pinkett-Smith is playing a much younger version of herself that will be CGI'd up to match young Morpheus.

As someone who hasn't really followed the production up to this point, it's a bit of a pleasant surprise that Keanu actually seems to be the main character again. I figured he would be more of a side character who would pop up for a few scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
We already know that Neo had some sort of connection to The Source due to his function as The One. It's possible Trinity did too for the same reason, her importance to the prophecy of The One. So they may not be able to "die" in the same way that regular people do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

The way I saw it, eventually the simulation became close enough to reality that knowing how to bend the simulation rules translates over seamlessly to bending the rules of reality.

It's because of the connection Neo has to The Source that I mentioned above. He has something in him that is kind of like a wi-fi connection to all the machines, because the machines are connected to The Source.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Nothing against YAM3 why is he in this and not old Lawrence Fishburne when they can have old Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss in the movie?

The story answer seems to be that this is taking place either before the first movie or a long time afterwards, to the point where Morpheus would certainly be dead(or much younger, hence the recasting). There are easy justifications for why Neo and Trinity could still be kept alive within The Matrix but that doesn't apply to Morpheus, who was just a regular guy.

I'm not saying any of that is really a satisfying answer, I think we all would've preferred if Fishburne was back.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 9, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Wild speculation time.

The Matrix doesn't work without Neo because of his connection to The Source or whatever, so the machines plug him back in and do everything they can to keep him from waking up again. The meds and the psychologist are their first attempt at control, and when Neo breaks free from that, they introduce Nu-Morpheus, a false-flag program created to lead Neo in circles and keep him from actually waking up this time.

It would have some DNA in common with Source Code in a good way.

Remember, the whole Morpheus/Oracle/The One dynamic was designed by the machines specifically as a form of control over what they saw as inevitable human resistance to the Matrix. So yea, this new version of Morpheus being another similar play by the machines makes sense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Horizon Burning posted:

something about that trailer is really hitting my 'this is gonna suck' buttons and i'm not sure why

I think for me it feels a bit "off" just because it has that super crisp modern digital cinematography which gives me vibes of like, Ready Player One or something like that. Whereas The Matrix trilogy was one of the last big blockbuster action series to still have that shot on film feel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FiftySeven posted:

I think the sad truth of those films is that given how mindblowing The Matrix was at the time, there was very little chance the sequels were ever going to live up to it, and while 18 years removed from the situation it might be pretty easy to just turn off your brain and enjoy them, I remember keenly how much of a letdown Revolutions was, and how much I hated the apparent lobotomization of Neos personality in both the sequels.

They probably are not all that bad, but I personally will never be able to view them outside of that context.

One thing that Reloaded succeeded in doing was upping the ante on the action spectacle though, people were mostly in agreement on that when it came out. The highway chase and the Neo vs. Merovingian's goons fight were like the stuff from the first movie cranked up to 11.

I've gained an appreciation for Revolutions in the years since it's release mostly because at the time all I wanted was more cool gunfights inside The Matrix, but when I watch it now I can't help but love the massive robot army invasion scenes with the mech suits and all that. It's pretty unique stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spalec posted:

I feel like I'm probably the only person in existence who actually had a genuinely good time with Enter the Matrix. I've seen lots of people talk about devastating game breaking bugs and such but I never had any issues on the PS2 version. Maybe I lucked out?

Having it properly interlink with the 2 sequel movies and the anime shorts was a really ambitious and cool idea for the time. I feel like we didn't really see that again for a long time. The MCU is doing a lot of that stuff now but I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

The hacking minigame was sweet too, much more interesting then typing in a cheat code.

I loved the game and at that time it's flaws just weren't really apparent to me. I particularly loved the combat where you could press a button and it would do different moves based on the context. I feel like it was a very early version of the Batman Arkham Asylum combat that would become so popular years later. It made you feel like a badass.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
When Neo challenges The Architect about his threat to end all human life, he says "there are levels of survival we're willing to accept", which seems to indicate that the power generated from humans is some sort of luxury thing that isn't totally necessary to the survival of the Machines.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A much simpler solution would just be to assign each new baby that's grown to an existing couple. Pregnancy in the Matrix doesn't exist unless it's because a new baby is being inserted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea with Trinity the Architect very specifically points out that The One falling in love to the point that he'd choose to save her over the rest of humanity is something that's never happened before. So the choice presented to Neo by the Architect is a bit different than any of the other iterations have faced.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The lack of sex in the first Matrix sort of makes sense just because there's really no time to slow down, they're going to see the Oracle then Morpheus gets taken and they're off to rescue him. Like someone else already mentioned, the love story aspect really depends on the idea that Trinity already was in love with him because she'd been observing him for a long time before the events of the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

Is there a prevailing theory on why/how Neo and Trinity are alive again?

The most common general idea I've seen put forward is that Neo(and by extension Trinity, because the love they have for each other is part of the function of The One) is still plugged into the Matrix after his battle with Agent Smith, and that there is some sort of reason why the machines need to keep him in there. Maybe as a failsafe in the event that another Agent Smith situation arises.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's standard operating procedure to just wipe the memories of The One and then re-implant their mind into a new person after each cycle, but for the first time Neo is able to maintain some of his memories because of his specific love for Trinity, as opposed to the more general love of humanity that the previous iterations of The One had.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MLSM posted:

Why have young hipster Morpheous and Smith and not a young Neo and Trinity? It’s bizarre.

Morpheus didn't have a connection to The One literally coded into the Matrix the way Trinity did. He was just a regular human who became obsessed with it but Trinity was much more important to fulfilling the prophecy. In other words, if the machines need to push Neo towards doing something, the button to push is Trinity, not Morpheus, so they keep Trinity around just in case.

Real world answer is probably that they calculated that fans needed Keanu and Carrie Ann back to be interested, but Larry was deemed expendable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t understand how you don’t ask Fishburne at all

I think it's because the Wackowski's(is it just Lana involved in this one or is it both?) really seemed to be very very committed to not doing another Matrix movie unless they had an idea they were excited about. Like, a lot of people say that in the movie business but I got the feeling that they were for real about it. So my guess is that whatever the main crux of the story is in this movie, it involves OG Morpheus being out of the picture for some reason, and they weren't going to change anything just for the sake of being able to cast Fishburne again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

My theory:

Machine civil war over another faction of machines rebooting The Matrix but where they simulate the roles of the prophecy via simulations of The One/Smith(Groff) and Morpheus, Trinity, etc to keep the cycle going and The Matrix functional. They essentially have made a program out of the mathmatical inevitably of The One.

Good machines revive Neo and Trinity to hack them into this new Matrix to stop these bad machines from destroying everything, but Neo must relive the events of The One inside this new simulation. Kind of like this weird alt version The Matrix is playing out around him as part of a simulation of the first film but slightly different, hence new Morpheus. Real Neo being introduced starts loving with the simulation hence they keep changing things/glitching occurs because Neos almost like a Smith-esque virus to this new system.

The survivors of Revolutions are back awakening people inside this new Matrix in and eventually find Neo and reawaken him but Trinity is still inside and he must find her and awaken her like she did him so they can fall in love again and destroy this new Matrix. This all part of the good machines plan of recreating the journey of The One as closely as possible to aid in the destruction of this new Matrix.

The idea that there may be a splinter faction of machines that aren't honoring the truce seems pretty likely to me, it's one of the only reasons I can think of why all of the stuff happening in the trailer would even be necessary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw The One in theatres opening weekend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I have a hard time getting away from my nostalgia for the experience of watching Fellowship of the Ring on opening night, which is something the other two in the trilogy just couldn't match. I was a fan of LOTR growing up, I read them pretty early on, and so the hype for Fellowship coming out was so ridiculously high, and then it actually delivered.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think there's only about 3 or 4 shots in all of Matrix Reloaded that I would take out due to overly ambitious CGI(I won't even say it aged poorly because people were criticizing it when the movie released). I feel like just eliminating those few shots would have an outsized impact on the feel of the movie and make it a more timeless, immersive film similar to how the original is thought of today.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

The problem is there is a very weak resolution to all these questions, and much of the action, while aesthetically pleasing (the human mechs firing up at the ceiling as the sentinels flow into the breach is, also IMO, cool as hell) it lacks weight and heft. Why are Neo and Agent Smith even bothering to have a 10 minute fight scene when we know Neo is only there to give himself up? Whats up with the Merovingian and all the rogue AIs? Oh nothing, actually, they're there for 2 seconds to point to another plot device and disappear for the rest of the film. There are gestures in Reloaded to things that could be elaborated on for endless plot threads, and that makes it a fascinating film, but its packaged with Revolutions which just feels bloated, to me.

I think for this one the reason is that they have to fool Smith into absorbing Neo's code into himself. If Neo just shows up and lays down without a fight then he might think something is amiss.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

At least at the time I remember reading that he or his agent tried to negotiate too hard to get him a salary in the range of the leads. In retrospect kinda sounds like a PR hit piece.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, he negotiated for more and probably overplayed his hand but I seriously doubt he was asking for Keanu money.

I imagine when you're a studio with a massive franchise on your hands you want to negotiate the deals with the main leads and then if anyone else is gonna play hardball they can gently caress off because otherwise we get bled dry paying minor characters millions of dollars. You never heard about like, the girl who played Ron's sister in Harry Potter negotiating for a big raise or anything like that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 20, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Tank was so likeable but didn't go on to do much after and in fact hasn't acted in poo poo in 8 years
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0159059/?ref_=tt_cl_i_7

Yea he hosed up because he should've seen the Matrix sequels as his chance at name recognition which then in turn leads to more paychecks for years down the line. He needed to just do whatever was necessary to stay in that series, he should've considered it an investment for future income.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's definitely an expectation with a Matrix movie that it's gonna be the highest level of action and special effects, because the original trilogy had some groundbreaking stuff in it. So while I did like some things in this movie in terms of the plot and the characters, it was a big letdown in the action department. Even just the basic kung fu fights were a major step back from what we got in the earlier films.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The wikipedia page for the movie says that Wackowski directed all the action scenes this time, as opposed to the previous ones where they had a second unit do the action stuff. Maybe that's why the action is so mediocre?